Old 11-27-2007, 06:37 PM
How do I sell my domain name without getting ripped off by godaddy?

I have a good domain name for a business that I started but abandoned. Someone else in the same line of business in my city would undoubtedly be interested in buying it.

Unfortunately, I registered my domain with godaddy and I can't get a straight answer from their bloated, confusing site about if I can sell it, how I go about it and if it will cost me. I did go through a lengthy almost 40-minute laborious process on their site to try to put it up for auction, but after all that, godaddy finally took me to "checkout" and I (only then) discovered that I had to pay $$ to try and auction it. Godaddy sucks.

Can anyone advise on how I can sell my domain without getting ripped off?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Having never been in the cybersquatting business myself, I wonder why domain names can't be auctioned on e-Bey like everything else can.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty O'Furniture
Having never been in the cybersquatting business myself, I wonder why domain names can't be auctioned on e-Bey like everything else can.
Well, just to clarify, I am NOT "cybersquatting". This was a legitimate business that I started, then decided it wasn't worth pursuing. A comparable example (just making this one up) would be something along the lines of "springfieldlawncare.com" Other Springfield lawn care companies might be interested.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymer
I have a good domain name for a business that I started but abandoned. Someone else in the same line of business in my city would undoubtedly be interested in buying it.

Unfortunately, I registered my domain with godaddy and I can't get a straight answer from their bloated, confusing site about if I can sell it, how I go about it and if it will cost me. I did go through a lengthy almost 40-minute laborious process on their site to try to put it up for auction, but after all that, godaddy finally took me to "checkout" and I (only then) discovered that I had to pay $$ to try and auction it. Godaddy sucks.

Can anyone advise on how I can sell my domain without getting ripped off?
You don't own it anymore, don't hold your breath.

Godaddy is actually a pretty damn good host, many hosts have similar recover from abandonment fees. I am driving about 8 domains from them right now, they send out notices for months before the renew is up and every day for the last few weeks.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Charter Member
If you can get someone to buy it from you, it appears pretty straightforward to transfer it to their name and shouldn't cost you anything:

http://help.godaddy.com/article.php?...4&topic_id=160

drachillix - I'm reading this as the OP registered the domain for use with their company, but has since given up on the business, but they still own the domain legitamately.

Polymer - Assuming you still have sufficient time left on the registration, it sounds like the best course of action might be to drop a letter or email to the lawncare businesses in Springfield - don't forget there are quite a few Springfields in the US - and say the name is up for bids.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix
You don't own it anymore, don't hold your breath.
What are you talking about? It's my domain. I am the registered owner. It comes up for renewal in a couple months. I'd like to sell it before then because I don't need it anymore.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymer
Well, just to clarify, I am NOT "cybersquatting".
I didn't mean to suggest that you are. I was just citing my own lack of squatting experience as reason for asking the 'why can't a domain be sold on e-Bay" question.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty O'Furniture
I didn't mean to suggest that you are. I was just citing my own lack of squatting experience as reason for asking the 'why can't a domain be sold on e-Bay" question.
They can...
http://listings.ebay.com/Other-Hardw...istingItemList
Old 11-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Transferring domain ownership on GoDaddy is pretty easy (and free), so if you don't want to pay for their domain auction services, then you can very easily sell it via eBay (which costs money anyway) or Craigslist or really just sell it anywhere else like any other good. Then you just follow the GoDaddy instructions to transfer the domain once it's been sold, or follow the buyer's registrar's instructions.

The reason the GoDaddy service costs money is because you're paying for a whole service, not just the transfer of a domain to someone else. You pay them to list it under "Domain Auctions" on their site, which may (or may not) make you more money than listing it elsewhere because people go to their Domain Auctions service to look for domains to buy.

So, GoDaddy's Domain Auction service is just one way for you to sell your domain. If you don't want to use them you surely don't have to. It's yours for the time you've paid for it and you are free to use whatever means you want to get rid of it.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P
I'm glad gangbangisland.com is for sale.

Quote:
WOW!! This domain has soooo many options!
So many, indeed.

The seller is also offering:

Dentists.name
DickCam.net
Dongs.tv
Doubtful.mobi
Dragqueening.com
ElectronicRealtors.com
Emporium.name
ErectionCams.com
Erections.cc
Eroticaed.com
Faggier.com
Faggiest.com
PantyMan.mobi
Pedophiler.com
Penetrating.mobi
eBarryBonds.com
eLebronJames.com
eMichaelVick.com
eMSNBC.com
ePlayPoker.com
ErectionTV.com
Old 11-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Charter Member
Why can't you change all the ownership details for the domain from your name to the new owner, accept payment from the new owner (cash) and then turn over the account name and password to the new owner? Transfer complete.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster
Why can't you change all the ownership details for the domain from your name to the new owner, accept payment from the new owner (cash) and then turn over the account name and password to the new owner? Transfer complete.
I was asking how (actually where) to sell it, not how to transfer ownership after the sale.