Old 01-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Charter Member
Best "Instant Watch" Titles on Netflix

Well, most of us have heard that Netflix has stopped limiting the amount of streaming video they allow per month. That said, what is there that is worth watching?

I recommend:

The Office(both versions)
30 Rock
49up

Anything else?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:56 PM
I saw that Pan's Labyrinth is available, but I think it's best to watch it on a larger screen. Heroes Season 1 is available (as is Season 2, but you were asking for recommendations.)

I wish they'd put MST3K up for instant watching.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Charter Member
Letters from Iwo Jima is available to watch instantly. I saw this on DVD and it was excellent. I also recommend A Man For All Seasons.

I used the "Watch Instantly" feature to see all of 30 Rock Season 1 and that was also great.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Charter Member
"Rough Science" a BBC series / tv show 30 mins each.

Take "Junkyard Wars" (Scrapheap Challenge for you Brits) and Survivor and put them together.

I believe "Network" is on the Instant view. Great Film.

The movie from 1976 is still true today. -Especially when you consider that Stuart and Colbert do nearly the same things.

"Red Dwarf" another BBC 30 minute show is on instant.
Take Star Trek and smash it into Monty Python.

I've been told that " the film crew after dark" is MST3k like. I have yet to see it.

Slight Hijack

How Does Netflix get new "instant" content?

I Just got my email about the unlimited Instant views today. It still hasnt sunk in.

And Will this prevent Netflix from making as many intant movies as possible?

I mean, if they put all the movies online, Im dropping down to 4.99 a month.

from my 9.99 plan.

Perhaps Itunes Rentals of movies had something to do with it?
Old 01-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 PM
I would recommend “No End in Sight”, a documentary chronicling the extreme incompetence in the rebuilding of Iraq. Very much the opposite of a Michael Moore documentary – it just lays out the facts in a non-partisan manner. By the end, you'll want to just smack your head against the wall repeatedly.

Also Fitzcarraldo, especially if you had seen Burden of Dreams beforehand.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Charter Member
Hmm, this seems like a duplicate of another thread. I'll echo what I said there: don't miss the British sitcom Yes Minister! Oh, and The Good Life too, which like YM also stars Paul Eddington. (This show was called Good Neighbors when shown in the U.S., so you might know it better by that name.)

And if you're a fan of the new Doctor Who, check out the older ones that are chock-a-bloc over on Watch Now.

Damn. I didn't know 49Up was on Watch Now. I wish I'd seen it while I could!

Last edited by choie; 01-15-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Shouting Grasshopper
I haven't tried it yet. The site says you have to use IE. Why don't they have it set up for Firefox, do you suppose?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear
I haven't tried it yet. The site says you have to use IE. Why don't they have it set up for Firefox, do you suppose?
You can read more about that here.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Shouting Grasshopper
Thanks for that link!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:08 AM
"Alfred Hitchcock Presents" is a great show. If it wasn't for Netflix, I don't think I'd ever have encountered it.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyAccurate
I wish they'd put MST3K up for instant watching.
There's this at least.

Here's the stuff available that just happened to be in my queue:

House of Games
Film Crew: Hollywood After Dark
Man with the Screaming Brain
Slaughterhouse Five
A Boy and His Dog
Fear of the Dark
The Great Train Robbery
Born Into Brothels
Coupling: Season 1
Primer
Night Watch
Undead or Alive
Freaked
American Gothic: The Complete Series

Now, some of those may in fact stink, and are just things I happened to be interested or curious about. However I have watched Coupling, and it is great, American Gothic is creepy and worth watching, and House of Games and Primer are much-recommended by Dopers.

The unlimited viewing is also great news for parents who don't want to waste physical rentals on Land Before Time I-MMCMX, but might want something novel to entrance Junior while the kitchen gets cleaned.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
A Certain Kind of Death
The Devil Came on Horseback
One Nation Under God
The Great Happiness Space
I Like Killing Flies

Are all good documentaries that I watched this way.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraqiyal
You can read more about that here.
It doesn’t mention it in the link, but I know that Firefox has lots of add-on applications that let you save streaming video. Could that be why they haven’t let us use it yet?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:33 PM
The TV series Dead Like Me. (Annoyingly, though, they don't have every episode, so you still have to rely on regular Netflix or bittorrent to watch every episode.)
Old 01-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Oh, TITLES. I thought the thread title said "titties".
Old 01-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Charter Member
Dead Leaves

(Extremely NSFW)
Old 01-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqweels
Oh, TITLES. I thought the thread title said "titties".
Well, they did have some Californication episodes available last time I checked.