Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 11-06-2000, 03:52 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7
I was re-heating some pizza on a cookie sheet the other day, when I noticed a peculiar smell emanating from our oven. It turns out that a rogue refrigerator magnet had attached itself to the cookie sheet, and was now a molten mess. Sadly, the plastic had melted onto one of the racks and to the bottom of the oven. I was able to remove it and any plastic debris I could find from the oven after it cooled and solidified. But is my oven now toxic? Do I need to worry about trace amounts of plastic that I can't see? If I say, cook a Turkey for my relatives for the big Holiday, will I be poisoning them?
Advertisements
#2
Old 11-06-2000, 04:54 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Wisconsin USA
Posts: 16,843
Burning plastics do emit gases which are not good for you. You already removed what you could. I would turn the oven on very high, until the plastic was completely burnt. Suck out the fumes with a fan while doing this. Don't wait until you cook a meal.
#3
Old 11-06-2000, 05:03 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Bangkok/52/Male
Posts: 8,869
The safe answer: YES, clean your oven, keeping in mind that the oven cleaner is probably more toxic than melted plastic and undercooked turkey combined.

What I personally think: No, scrape off any plastic from the oven rack, wipe it down & you'll be fine.

Melted plastic doesn't produce toxic fumes that I'm aware of, especially not from such a small mass as you are talking about. On the other foot, burning plastic can produce dioxin, a deadly poison. PVC (polyvinyl chloride) is known to produce dioxin when burned, however not all plastics are evil in this way. Friendly plastics that contain the usual carbon, hydrogen & oxygen are safer than those that contain nitrogen (nylon) or chlorine (PVC). It's hard to say what any given piece of plastic is made from, but I would hazard to say that any plastic manufactured for use in microwaves should be toxin-free.

It should also be noted that plastic shouldn't be hated just because of the toxins it might generate when burned. Any carbon-based material produces hazardous byproducts under most combustion conditions, mostly due to incomplete combustion. Burning gasoline produces carbon monoxide, and burning methanol can produce formaldehyde.

I seriously doubt that the plastic dish you used was made from PVC. Have a nice turkey day!
__________________
Join Date: May 20, 1999
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 8,861
#4
Old 11-06-2000, 06:00 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 18,294
you can also use a torch to burn it off, this might be better and allow more complete combuston - but OTOH will expose you to the fumes more directly.
#5
Old 11-06-2000, 08:02 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: S.E.Iowa USA
Posts: 2,773
I'm posting this a second time as the first one didn't seem to get through.

I worked in a plastics factory once. There is a definite odor. Could that be hazardous? I was never warned about it if it was.
#6
Old 11-07-2000, 10:28 AM
BANNED
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Pacific Grove, Calif
Posts: 17,493
I got pretty dizzy breathing some plastic fumes. Your milage may vary. Best thing to do, call the people who made the plastic that melted. As for getting it out of your oven, perhaps put some ice on it & knock it off with a hammer?
#7
Old 11-07-2000, 01:20 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 8,578
This is anecdotal but related....

I was bored in my office and decided to destroy an expired credit card. I'd misplaced my scissors so I decided I'd just bend the card back and forth a couple of dozen times until it was so weakened I could tear it and/or the numbers would be unreadable. So there I was, bent over the card, bending it back and forth like a maniac, and suddenly it was like someone had shoved a knife through my skull. I thought I was going to black out. It was the fumes that were coming from the bent card and they nearly did me in. I couldn't believe it.

I always knew credit was bad for you....
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: electric kistky thin metal strips condom reservoir ghosting email 11 guage teen zombie books flux animations ugly jonas brother aids airborne high beam car ibn vs bin john basedow gay hot snot harem eunuch i hate celery colete dust cuckold woman doubletree pillows weed hairs green visors instavin review cetirizine withdrawal beard removal cream dark ginger ale victorian chamber pot denver bronco chant hypnotize chickens navy seals wristwatch jasmine seed pod detroit swimmobile keurig sizes schlage venice helen hunt sick what happens when you pour coke on pork can a new president reverse a pardon can you use pasta sauce for pizza tax forms blue or black ink plastic id card holder to protect your medicare card car shakes on startup does a light switch have to be grounded crispin glover kicks letterman is zero exposure a good brand i can look at myself naked fried green tomatoes gay how to start a motorcycle that has been sitting for 2 years why do my eyes hurt when i have a fever collecting child support arrears after 18 street bikes outrun cops harry's razors or dollar shave club your welcome in japanese joan of arc civ 3 how to pronounce ahmad how to play happy birthday on xylophone lenten rules for seniors is ceramic dishwasher safe how to reset an elevator after a power outage yes sir in japanese 1988 series a 20 dollar bill is rid x good for a septic system how to get car insurance with no license hot dog sauce vs chili is sodium chloride inorganic or organic the incredible edible egg song how to open child proof bottle who was the first couple on television shown in a bed together?