Old 02-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Can you grow taller as an adult?

When I graduated high school I was 5' 4.75" measured by a drs office. In 2003, at age 35, I was again measured by a drs office and I was 5' 5.25". I just got back from a new doctor this morning and I was measured at 5' 5.75"! I made them do it twice 'cause I was so surprised.

Can you grow in height as an adult? I've tried to research this online and found a bunch of flakey site selling snake oil to shorties. But some sites do mention that an increase in disc thickness can lead to a taller stature. I took up rowing about 9 or 10 years ago and I've read rowers tend to have thicker spines. Could this cause me to gain height?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:20 PM
I did the same thing. I don't remember the specifics, but I grew about an inch between highschool and my late twenties, and then another inch between then and my mid-thirties.

Last I checked, I haven't grown any more in the ~10 years since.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Your height varies depending on the time of day. You are generally ~0.5-1" taller in the morning than you are at night. Standing around squeezes the water out of your joints and compresses your vertibrae and makes you shorter. They 'decompress' at night making you a bit taller in the morning.

To answer your question about growing as an adult though, no, you cannot. Generally by age 25 (somewhat earlier in men and sometimes a bit later in women) your growth plates have fused and even taking massive amounts of growth hormones will not have an effect on your height.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Well, if you had a brain disorder like Robert Wadlow, it would be possible. I don't recommend that though.

Last edited by Flander; 02-20-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flander
Well, if you had a brain disorder like Robert Wadlow, it would be possible. I don't recommend that though.
Yeah. You would most likely get cancer from the massive amounts of growth hormones. Plus, he only made it to the ripe old age of 22. I'm pretty sure he would have had other problems had he actually lived a while.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Has your posture improved recently?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flander
Excess growth hormone after fusion of the epiphyseal plates will make you uglier but not taller. Mr Wadlow's height was due to production of hormone before his bones stopped growing. The same disorder which causes gigantism as a youngster causes acromegaly as an adult.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrafilter
Has your posture improved recently?
Well, yeah, rowing is really good for the back muscles and I constantly strive to sit up. Plus I daily do some shoulder exercises from physical therapy to prevent thoracic that help me hold my shoulders back. But, every time I get my height measured I always make sure to stand up very straight; I've alway been bitter then I'm not a 5'10" glamazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NunOfTheAbove
To answer your question about growing as an adult though, no, you cannot. Generally by age 25 (somewhat earlier in men and sometimes a bit later in women) your growth plates have fused and even taking massive amounts of growth hormones will not have an effect on your height.
I know you can get bone growth as an adult even after the growth plates are fused. I've had bone growth in my lower jaw due to tongue thrust and wound up having to get braces again. So I was thinking maybe the increased load on my spine due to the rowing might have stimulated some sort of increased growth.

Hmmm, regardless of the real reason, I"m totally gonna claim 5' 5.75" as my official height now.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:15 PM
I learned this a loooooooong time ago so maybe my memory is distorted but i heard several situations of high physical stress can make you grow minute yet somewhat noticable reults. Probably nothing like teh OP experiences on a regular basis, but for example i hear leaving and then reentering the earth's atmosphere nets you a small portion of an inch.

Again, not sure about the accurace though.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon
I learned this a loooooooong time ago so maybe my memory is distorted but i heard several situations of high physical stress can make you grow minute yet somewhat noticable reults. Probably nothing like teh OP experiences on a regular basis, but for example i hear leaving and then reentering the earth's atmosphere nets you a small portion of an inch.
Doesn't seem too probable. As far as I can tell, once the epiphyseal plates fuse, your stuck. Laying on additional bone material over existing bone material will make your bone larger, but that is not what is really required here. The epiphyseal plates are actual living tissue that is required for bones to elongate. By age 17-25, your epiphyseal plates have all been slowly replaced by bone, making any further elongation impossible. The original bone material must be broken or seperated in order to really see a result.

UNLESS....

You go through a fun surgical procedure called 'Distraction Osteogenesis.' In this they basically put the part of your body in traction and cut you bone in half. Then they slowly increase the gap between the cut and allow new bone and tissue to fill it in. The process is generally only used on people with deformations, such as having one leg be shorter than the other. It is incredibly slow, and I cannot imagine it being fun.

Here is the wiki, it's actually quite good -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distraction_osteogenesis
Old 02-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunOfTheAbove
UNLESS....

You go through a fun surgical procedure called 'Distraction Osteogenesis.' In this they basically put the part of your body in traction and cut you bone in half. Then they slowly increase the gap between the cut and allow new bone and tissue to fill it in. The process is generally only used on people with deformations, such as having one leg be shorter than the other. It is incredibly slow, and I cannot imagine it being fun.
It's also the sort of thing that can cripple you if done wrong. This is a problem in China, I've heard, where leg lengthening for purely cosmetic purposes has produced lots of quacks who do it for profit, and screw it up.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Two things to consider:

The skin on the bottom of your feet can thicken and callous, adding tiny amounts to your height.

I would also consider variations in the measuring equipment as a variable which was probably not controlled.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Charter Member
Are they measuring you in your stocking feet or in your shoes? It could be something as simple as thicker soles on your shoes.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless
Are they measuring you in your stocking feet or in your shoes? It could be something as simple as thicker soles on your shoes.
All times were totally shoeless. If it was in shoes, I'd be 5' 9.75"
Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster
Two things to consider:

The skin on the bottom of your feet can thicken and callous, adding tiny amounts to your height.

I would also consider variations in the measuring equipment as a variable which was probably not controlled.

That'd mean she'd have an inch of calloused skin on her feet. Ew.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Both my wife and one of her friend reported an increase in their height of ~ 1" after therapy (my wife) and surgery (the friend) for back problems. Could essentially be improved posture, tho.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Charter Member
By any chance, were you pregnant in the intervening time? An aunt of mine grew an inch while she was carrying her firstborn. Apparently, there was enough HGH to go around.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
By any chance, were you pregnant in the intervening time? An aunt of mine grew an inch while she was carrying her firstborn. Apparently, there was enough HGH to go around.
Not unless parthenogenesis can spontaneously happen in mammals.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:09 PM
If the only measurements you have to go on are one at age 17-18 and the next at age 35, it's most probable that you grew a half inch right after high school. I grew another inch when I was 16 or 17 and my middle sister grew 6" between ages 14-19. Some girls continue growing later than the average (most are done right around puberty).

The extra half inch at the most current measurement could be due to many factors... time of day, athletic and posture improvements. I highly doubt you have 'grown' skeletally.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:11 PM
I grew 2 inches at some point between graduating high school and age 20.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Don't worry about it. In a few more years, you will lose that extra inch - and more- as your intervetrebral discs become dessicated.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremorviolet View Post
Not unless parthenogenesis can spontaneously happen in mammals.
There was a case reported about 2010 years ago.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Weird. I was just recalling something about this, in a totally unrelated mental thread. When I was 19 I developed some pretty bad neck pains, and went to see an orthopedist. I measured at 6'1", a full inch over my height a few months earlier. He thought my wrestlers/weightlifters neck was over compensating for wearing a heavy motorcycle helmet (the good ones were all pretty heavy back then), and my spine was overly straight in my neck. I followed his suggestion to get a lighter helmet, and acquired a car that didn't require wearing a helmet soon after, and my height returned to 6'0". So the spinal curvarture, or lack of it can have a big effect. I didn't get any taller after that, but 30 something years later I'm starting to shrink. Lost cartilage in the knees may account for some of that, but spinal curvature is probably the biggest factor.

Another tidbit, an article on high jumpers somewhere back in the 70s or 80s mentioned the relationship between height and high jumping, and that some high jumpers could improve their records as they aged because some people grow 2 inches or more through their 20s. So maybe at 35 you could still add an inch, especially if you combine the factors mentioned here. So if you have some hormonal growth, a straighter spine, and get measured in the morning, maybe an inch difference isn't that much.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:26 PM
BANNED
ADD meds can stunt growth, while you're on them. I guess if you been on them long enough, and then discontinue them in adulthood it wouldn't seem far fetched if you've grown a few inches.

Last edited by Diamonds02; 12-06-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:27 PM
BANNED
You are taller in the mornings. Is that when they checked your height?
From what I understand just having come back from space would also make one taller as there is no gravity to compress the spine. Are you an astronaut
Old 12-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Weird. I was just recalling something about this, in a totally unrelated mental thread. When I was 19 I developed some pretty bad neck pains, and went to see an orthopedist. I measured at 6'1", a full inch over my height a few months earlier. He thought my wrestlers/weightlifters neck was over compensating for wearing a heavy motorcycle helmet (the good ones were all pretty heavy back then), and my spine was overly straight in my neck. I followed his suggestion to get a lighter helmet, and acquired a car that didn't require wearing a helmet soon after, and my height returned to 6'0". So the spinal curvarture, or lack of it can have a big effect. I didn't get any taller after that, but 30 something years later I'm starting to shrink. Lost cartilage in the knees may account for some of that, but spinal curvature is probably the biggest factor.
See my prior post.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:31 AM
I seem to remember that astronauts when returning from space would find that they were slightly taller. The decreased gravity allowed their spines to stretch out a bit more. After being under Earth's gravity for a while, they would return to their normal height.

This fits with the curved spine explanation, and would also allow for one to be measured as taller if one's spine straightened out. I would argue that you didn't actually grow, though, for the reasons already stated in the thread.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Some people in this thread are reporting growth after high school. IIRC, it's not unusual for height to increase well into one's 20s. Former NBA player David Robinson grew from 6'7" to 7'1" between his freshman and senior years at the Naval Academy.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:48 PM
It's not unusual for men to get taller up til the early 20s, but it is quite unusual for women.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbarin View Post
It's not unusual for men to get taller up til the early 20s, but it is quite unusual for women.
I've heard this too. But I've also noticed that women are getting more physically fit and athletic, and seem to grow through their teens and into their 20's. So perhaps there are factors that had not been previously considered.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Perhaps not applicable in this situation, since you went to 2 different offices, but the height chart at the doctor's office where I worked was stuck to the wall, if I recall correctly. At any rate, the nurse shared with me that they were off when they put it up, so all the patients were measured about a half inch taller than they really were. She got "wow, I must be growing" comments all the time.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I've heard this too. But I've also noticed that women are getting more physically fit and athletic, and seem to grow through their teens and into their 20's. So perhaps there are factors that had not been previously considered.
Possibly, but only if puberty were continuing later; for men it's ordinary for puberty to continue into their 20s (though the changes are less obvious), but women start and end puberty earlier.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:17 PM
I gained height after being diagnosed with a foot problem...

as soon as I got orthopedic inserts for my shoes.

My wife calls them my "lifts".

Also, for anyone that wants to be taller: posture. Makes a huge difference, esp. in perception, because you look more confident, too.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Quote:
All times were totally shoeless. If it was in shoes, I'd be 5' 9.75"
I would still allow for a large margin of measurement error at the Dr.'s office, for both height and weight. Are you sure they held the ruler exactly level each time? Maybe they installed a new tape at some point. They're really not concerned about being ultra-precise.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I "grew" about 1.25 inch from age 30 to 34. During that time I was doing a lot of Yoga. I talked to my doctor about it and she said I basically strengthened the muscled in my back to a point where my posture was being maintained better than ever with out me trying to "stand up straight".
Old 08-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
I "grew" about 1.25 inch from age 30 to 34. During that time I was doing a lot of Yoga. I talked to my doctor about it and she said I basically strengthened the muscled in my back to a point where my posture was being maintained better than ever with out me trying to "stand up straight".
Same here. Grew 2 inches at 28, within 4 months of yoga/stretching/hanging on bar. I was surprised and still can't believe it. Was 5'11, now 6'1. Easily 6'2 - 6'2 1/2 in shoes. Believe me, stretching/yoga works. Had to measure myself daily for 3 months and saw myself grow. Made a mark on the wall when I started out 4 months ago at 5'11, now, I see 2 inches above that. At this height, I feel tall. Towering most at my gym, and only few my height, just a couple taller than me. Didn't feel that way when I was 5'11. Like they say...you start feeling tall at near 6'2.

Now working on gaining another inch in my neck. Got 1/4 growth already and should get to 1 inch in 3-4 months, putting me at legit 6'2. The neck is the easiest way to grow taller; very fast and noticeable too. A friend of my grew 1 1/2 inches from neck stretches and now stands 6'3.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake2020 View Post
Same here. Grew 2 inches at 28, within 4 months of yoga/stretching/hanging on bar. I was surprised and still can't believe it. Was 5'11, now 6'1. Easily 6'2 - 6'2 1/2 in shoes. Believe me, stretching/yoga works. Had to measure myself daily for 3 months and saw myself grow. Made a mark on the wall when I started out 4 months ago at 5'11, now, I see 2 inches above that. At this height, I feel tall. Towering most at my gym, and only few my height, just a couple taller than me. Didn't feel that way when I was 5'11. Like they say...you start feeling tall at near 6'2.

Now working on gaining another inch in my neck. Got 1/4 growth already and should get to 1 inch in 3-4 months, putting me at legit 6'2. The neck is the easiest way to grow taller; very fast and noticeable too. A friend of my grew 1 1/2 inches from neck stretches and now stands 6'3.
Can you tell me how was your routine? For how long and how often did you do each of these things?
Did you gain any inch in your neck?
I'm sorry for resurrecting this topic but I am really interested. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
AT WHAT AGE ?

If 20 or 21.. fine... maybe it was growth of the bones... which might have happened anyway.

But also, the small of the back.. well they become a bit straighter when pregnant.
Too obvious there.. Also the load on the belly starts them leaning back .. walking with the back up and head held back.. improving posture.. improving muscle strength requisite to hold such posture.

Last edited by Isilder; 02-01-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by durr View Post
Can you tell me how was your routine? For how long and how often did you do each of these things?
Did you gain any inch in your neck?
I'm sorry for resurrecting this topic but I am really interested. Thank you!
That poster has only made 1 post to this board, so I don't think you should expect an answer to that question.

Last edited by Honey; 02-01-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:04 PM
quad zombie or no

inversion boots give you the stretch without the pain of the rack.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Quoth Isilder:

AT WHAT AGE ?

If 20 or 21.. fine... maybe it was growth of the bones... which might have happened anyway.
Yeah, I don't know the precise age, but it would have been sometime in that vicinity, so presumably her growth plates hadn't quite fused yet. Still rather after most folks have gotten their full adult height, though, and I understand it was quite a surprise.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:13 PM
Jeffrey Hudson more than doubled in height after he turned 30. Of course, he grew from 18 inches to 45 inches tall, but still, that's quite a relative change.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Charter Member
From what limited info I have, I can tell you the age of "no taller" is not uniform. Probably, most of us have reached our permanent height by the time we could vote, but not everybody. It's seldom documented, except in athletes. Most players are measured as freshpeople, and the media guides use that same number all through school, in order to lowball the opponents. They aren't fooled for long, though. When a 6'2" player walks up to the guy whose published height is 6'1", he can easily tell he's now 6'5". Some colleges reportedly even use the kid's high school height and weight.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:05 PM
This thread has been revived more times than Guys and Dolls.

Stranger
Old 10-06-2017, 01:48 PM
YES, YOU CAN GROW TALLER AS AN ADULT!! I did. I am a female, and I was 5'5" from junior high until my early 30s, and at my late 30s, I am now a solid 5'7". I used to always be the same height as my sister. During my mid 30s, every once in a while I would get this strange hunger, like if I didn't eat some meat and potatoes, I was going to feel sick or punch someone. It was a weird strong hunger, so I went to the gyno to check my hormones, but everything was normal. In retrospect, those were probably growth spurt hunger pains. Also, when checking my measurements, my hips got just a little bigger. My first instinct was to get mad that I was getting fat. But upon double checking, I had the same shallow fat layer on my hips, and it wasn't deeper. So it just left me confused. My sister who used to be the same height, all the sudden I realized that I had to slightly look down when talking to her. Also what's weird is that I had been an A cup chest size my whole life, but in one year in my late 30s I grew naturally from an A to a D, and had to spend a lot of money buying new undergarments. So when I recently happened to go to a doctor's office who actually measures patients, instead of just relying on the patients to tell them how tall they are, low and behold, I'm 5'7". I could not believe it. I went home and double checked over and over again, and it was really true. I have heard off hand of women growing taller when they are pregnant, maybe because of the natural extra growth hormone in their bodies. But I have never been pregnant. Also, I have never done weight exercises, or taken exercise supplements. I only do girly exercise like treadmill walking and light exercise videos. I guess my body decided that I hadn't finished growing when I was 13, so it just wanted to pick up and finish it off from where it left off. I don't have any medical or health problems either. My posture is and has always been the same, and I do not have back or joint problems.

The really bizarre thing, is when I have mentioned this to people who work in or around the medical industry, they get so mean and defensive to me! They roll their eyes, or laugh and make fun of me, or say my doctor just didn't measure right. And they just keep repeating like a dead robot: "that-is-not-possible...my-textbook-says-growth-plates-fuse-in-the-teenage-years... that-is-not-possible...my-textbook-says-growth-plates-fuse-in-the-teenage-years..." They're so weird. Whatever rusty old textbook that is - which probably came from one of those old textbooks that advises bloodletting, or cigarette smoking to clear up a head cold - they really should update it every once in a while with more modern current information. It should more accurately state that "it is very uncommon to grow in height after the teen years, but it can occasionally occur".
Old 10-06-2017, 06:18 PM
Quote:
When I graduated high school I was 5' 4.75" measured by a drs office. In 2003, at age 35, I was again measured by a drs office and I was 5' 5.25". I just got back from a new doctor this morning and I was measured at 5' 5.75"! I made them do it twice 'cause I was so surprised.
That's a variation of from 0.76% to 1%. It's most likely due to the measurements being taken by different nurses, at different times of the day.

I once went to 3 different doctors in the same medical complex all in the same morning, and at each one a nurse weighed me & measured my height. Both my height & weight varied by 1-2% over these measurements. I expect that is typical for such measurements -- they don't need to be more accurate than that for the doctor to asses your health.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:00 AM
You can (or at least, could in the past in Japan) get silicone implanted in your scalp to make you a few cm taller like this guy did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainoumi_Sh%C5%ABhei
Old 10-08-2017, 06:46 AM
Posture is the same ?

Well, you think so.. but... the details of the spine's shape can change

When you are young, you use your arms for dancing and waving, and not much else.
this leaves the muscles down the back of the neck to be weak . When you are mature doing mature things like shopping, child lifting, office work, you use your shoulders more and develop muscles to pull the neck back.. taller !

Also, as you age, you wear the bones and cartilage of the spine, and can free it up to be less curved.. taller !

Also, the muscles of the lower back can become larger, if only with fat, and that is holding the lower back a bit further backward.. straight... taller.

its NOT growth. growth as a mature adult, eg 25+, is an illness. You'd have to develop deformity.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilder View Post

When you are young, you use your arms for dancing and waving, and not much else....
This is a very genial image.