Old 02-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Source of "veteran... blank check" quote

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"

(Seems to me a blank check has no amount on it, but that's besides the point.)

I've seen this quote in a number of places, always attributed to "Author unknown." Anyone know when and wear it started?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I don't know, but as an active duty Army and National Guard veteran, it's the first time I've heard it. (luckily, I'm out now, so I'm done. )
Old 02-20-2008, 09:17 PM
I don't know who wrote it, but I can't say I'd agree with it.

Much as I did for the Navy, including some hazardous duty, there were things I didn't want to do, and I avoided doing them.

Shoot at me, fine, but don't give me duty on the mess decks. And thankfully, I escaped after five years not having done either.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:36 PM
TWDuke:

Quote:
(Seems to me a blank check has no amount on it, but that's besides the point.)
That IS the point - a blank, signed check can have the amount written in by the person who cashes it. Of course, it can only be cashed up to the amount in the signer's bank account - but in the metaphorical case in the OP's quote, it can include the person's life.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Charter Member
This link claims it was Gene Castagnetti, the director of the Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

Hawaii Pays Tribute

Last edited by Mahaloth; 02-21-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:34 PM
As a vet, I've never heard it. I do hear people say "my tax dollars pay your salary!" which always makes me laugh.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks, Mahaloth! I don't know why my googling didn't turn that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller
a blank, signed check can have the amount written in by the person who cashes it.
But this metaphorical check seems to specify an amount. It's just a quibble, I know what it's supposed to mean.