Old 02-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Ikea: what a bunch of bastards

This afternoon as I completed a presentation I let out a satisfied sigh and leaned back in my Ikea Joakim chair (http://ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90096456) to get a good view and admire at a distance the tasteful and attractive background fades which are hallmarks of my Powerpoints.

And then with a giant crack I was spilled onto the floor knocking a glass of juice over my desk and carpet. I got back up and examined the chair; the ABS plastic body at the bottom of the seat had simply split clear in two and the metal “pedestal” the chair rests upon was completely detached.

It probably won’t go down as the insight of the year that Ikea makes some shitty furniture. But I figured at least some of their items were of reasonable quality, especially their $170 work-chairs which struck me as decently constructed. Certainly a $170 chair shouldn’t just catastrophically fail and dump the person sitting in it. I threw it into the trunk of my car (I need a chair to do any work) and drove out in the rain for 30 minutes to get to Ikea.

I was annoyed with the chair breaking and I wondered if Ikea could offer me one of their 99 cent houseplants as a token of apology for making bad chairs. I received no such thing.

I was offered an hour long ordeal where manager after manager refused to exchange the chair because I couldn’t produce a receipt. If I had wanted money or even store credit, I would find this eminently reasonable, but I simply wanted to replace my broken chair with another one. It took four levels of managers to find one that recalled after 15 minutes of heated discussion, “well, based on the color, it might have been from before we stopped offering the five year warranty.” Fortunately, some type of number confirmed that the chair came from some time in the first quarter of 2007 when Ikea still offered warranties instead of requiring a receipt for every exchange, and she agreed to exchange the chair for an identical model. Except the stocking computer (which I had checked before leaving the house) was wrong and there were no chairs available except for a banged up floor model. It wasn’t ideal, but I wanted a chair, so I accepted it in exchange for the broken one.

But here’s the point of the thread: Ikea now requires a receipt for every single return or exchange. I suspect that this is a rather cynical tactic on their end in realizing that many people don’t keep receipts, or even if they do tracking them down can require significant effort on the customers part and will likely do a lot to reduce the volume of merchandise they actually have to exchange. Which is unfair when those returns are made because their furniture broke.

It’s unfortunate step for the company to take. There’s not much left to recommend a company when Wal-Mart has better customer service than them. A policy requiring a receipt for literally every exchange and sticking to that policy, even for blatantly defective merchandise is simply beyond the pale. In all of my years of being a retail consumer, I can never recall a store refusing to exchange identical merchandise to replace ones with manufacturing problems, and Ikea just dove to the bottom of the heap by my estimation.

--Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 02-26-2008, 10:15 PM
BANNED
Did you check the weight requirement for the chair? I own several Ikea chairs, and I remember being surprised once that I was dangerously close to the 200 lb. weight limit.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLDRIDKJKLOLFTW
Did you check the weight requirement for the chair?
Yeah, uh, that's not it.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by threemae
the ABS plastic body at the bottom of the seat had simply split clear in two
Your link says the chair is made from Polypropylene, not ABS. Perhaps your next chair should be made from ABS.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by threemae
But here’s the point of the thread: Ikea now requires a receipt for every single return or exchange.
I'm on record as supporting the need for receipts; some department stores and other retailers will take back just about anything, with no proof of purchase from that store. It's annoying as hell.

But the reason that i support the receipt thing for some stores is that the customer often could have bought the item at any one of a dozen different retailers, and could then just take the item back to the store with the most lenient return policy.

But Ikea's stuff is, in general Ikea's stuff. You can't just buy their funny-named furniture anywhere, so i see no reason for them to require a receipt. I guess part of their rationale might be that Ikea furniture often changes hand multiple times, especially among college students. But if an Ikea chair is promised to last for five years, then it should last for five years, no matter how many different owners it has.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Did you check the weight requirement for the chair? I own several Ikea chairs, and I remember being surprised once that I was dangerously close to the 200 lb. weight limit.
I bought a chair (not Ikea) last year that had a 200 lb. weight limit. Only they didn't bother to tell me that in the advertisement. Or on the box. No, it said it on the last page of the assembly instructions after I'd finished putting the thing together. Who the fuck makes a sub-200 lb. chair and sells it in the United States?!

Hell, I'm not even overweight! I'm a guy that's 6'4"! How much do you think I'm going to weigh? I ended up keeping it because I do actually clock in at 5 lbs. under the 200 mark.

Two months later I was leaning back on it and quickly found myself on the floor with a broken chair, much like the OP.

I mean, damn! Is it so fucking hard to make a motherfucking chair anymore?!
Old 02-27-2008, 01:05 AM
It sucks that your chair broke and the staff was crappy, but at least you have an IKEA within 30 minutes of you.... I have to drive to L.A. for the nearest IKEA (about 4.5 hours) to buy or return anything. The people in the L.A. area stores have always been nice and helpful.

If IKEA is bastardly for any reason it is because they have yet to put a store in Las Vegas.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:45 AM
Because if there's one thing that sucks more than shoddy furniture and lousy customer service, it's that they're just not close enough to take advantage of! Am I right?

Last edited by neutron star; 02-27-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:17 AM
I have a love hate thing going with Ikea.

The reality is that there is NO way they should require a receipt for EXCHANGES. Ikea stuff is made by Ikea and there's no doubt as to where it was purchased. If it's a direct same item exchange, there should be no questions asked.

Now, I could almost barely see where they'd want a receipt for store credit or cash/credit back, that proves the length of time you've owned the product, and whether or not you purchased it on sale. Of course, Ikea almost never has sales and when they do, the sale price isn't terribly significant; they're deep discount already.

You're right, the new receipt policy is a way to ensure people don't bring things back because they've lost the reciept.

Admittedly, I tend to side with big businesses and their policies, they're there to make a buck, but Ikea has kind of crossed the line here. There is no way your ordeal should have taken as long or been as much of a hassle as it was. That's the kind of hassle I'd have a tendency to speak out about on forums and business review/rating sites. I'd be half inclined to write their corporate offices about the experience as well.

Ikea is just one of those stores you have to be careful at.. they actually have some really good deals and SOME good quality stuff. I have their PAX closet system and it's stellar and good looking. I've had it for 6 years, and it still looks great, like new. On the other hand, I had that same darned chair you exchanged and it also fell apart within a couple of years. You have to be careful about what you get from Ikea and have a trained eye to judge quality.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:56 AM
I like Ikea shit. I had a futon from them that lasted four years until my college roommate got drunk, fell on it, and broke one of the slats. Good times.

Ikea customer for life, or until I can afford nice things.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTskTsk
Of course, Ikea almost never has sales and when they do, the sale price isn't terribly significant; they're deep discount already.
No, but they do have a "finder's corner" (atleast the two stores in my area do), where you can by stuff with really tiny flaws for next to nothing. Often these flaws are entirely undetectable afterwards (especially since already assembled furniture, even if it looks perfect otherwise, is considered flawed and sold here). They will not exchange such furniture for any reason, and I imagine that's part of the reciept-thing.

BTW - a common trick is to tape the reciept somewhere in the actual furniture, like inside a drawer or under a chair.

-Septima, university student and satisfied IKEA CUSTOMER

Last edited by Septima; 02-27-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:07 AM
You guys are missing the other problem with the receipt - how the hell do you match the receipt description with the correct product?

A typical receipt reads:

genge fringe...............$1.50
hoogie hoogie.............$2.00
boynge boynge...........$1.75
freffen froofer..............$2.25
flarke..........................$3.75
granemo.....................$2.50

Last edited by fessie; 02-27-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:53 AM
You missed out hordy gordy bordy.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:25 AM
I hate them because they make you walk through the ENTIRE FUCKING STORE to buy anything and to get what you want you have to note down FIVE DIFFERENT FUCKING PART NUMBERS and when you finally negotiate the toddlers playing dodgems on the swivel chairs and the bastards spending TWO HOURS deciding whether the Ortgerronter matches their Pattelaeto and the INEXPLICABLE FUCKING MAZE OF TREES THAT FOR SOME REASON IS HIDING THE FUCKING TOWEL SECTION and you get to the MOTHERFUCKING SELECTION AREA you find that they're out of ALL THE FUCKING PARTS YOU NEED EXCEPT ONE and you realise that you drove for a FUCKING HOUR and spent THREE HOURS IN CONSUMER HELL to buy a fucking METAL ROD and then you cry, inwardly.

Then you cry outwardly.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fessie
You guys are missing the other problem with the receipt - how the hell do you match the receipt description with the correct product?

A typical receipt reads:

You got a FLARKE for $3.75?

Oh. I see... they didn't give you any umlauts.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Ugh.

I can see the point of the OP completely. However, my IKEA beef has nothing to do with that. It's been almost 5 years and I still shudder at the thought today. My first trip to IKEA was with my fiance and some friends. Fiance and I were personally underwhelmed, but that was just us. However, on the way home (about 1 1/2 hour trip) is when my engagement fell apart. However irrationally, I blame IKEA. And I never want to go there again.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:46 AM
Twenty odd years ago I bought 2 chairs from Ikea. They basically consisted of two square frames that made each side and then you bolted in the back and the struts from side to side and mounted the seat in the middle.

Years later, the years largely spent "throwing" myself into the chairs, the pre-assembled sides began to lean. I took the chairs back to Ikea. Some guy looked at them and said, "They will have to be taken apart re-glued and re-assembled to be any good." I asked how I could get that done. He simply said, "Leave it to me they will be ready in a week." A week later I picked them up.

Years later, apparently still "throwing" myself into the chairs, I had brung them undone again. I took the chairs back to Ikea. Some guy looked at them and said, "These things are fucked, you couldn't possibly repair them." I asked whether Ikea still sold them and he replied, "Yeah I'll go get you a couple of replacements." So I went home with four chairs.

This was many years ago when the Ikea store in Sydney was far smaller and i went directly to the guys on the loading dock, not into the store. I have shopped ther regularly ever since and have two Ikea chairs within sight as I type.

Last edited by don't ask; 02-27-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Charter Member
They want a receipt to check (among other things) that someone actually purchased the damn thing in the first place. Shoplifting happens all the time. Oh, maybe a chair would be a little difficult to shoplift, but that doesn't mean there aren't break-ins at warehouses or dodgy employees slipping products out the back door for their friends and family, or shipping containers that are reported missing at the docks, or other means whereby things just fall off the back of the truck. Also, trying to institute a policy of receipts being required only for items small enough to shoplift would be a nightmare as people argue that "...the vase is too big to be shoplifted because it won't even fit in my handbag, look, so why do I need a receipt?!"

Ikea may suck, but if you want to blame someone for these store policies that seem stupid and difficult, blame the dishonest people who made them necessary in the first place. Blame my ex-MIL, who returns small kitchen appliances that she's won as incentive gifts from her party plan business for cash to companies with lax return policies, or blame the thieves that hit one of my employers interstate warehouses before Christmas and stole iPods and then began attempting to return them without receipts in the post-Christmas return madness, or blame the supplier who won't accept faulty merchandise back without a proof-of-purchase even though it was clearly a manufacturing fault, thereby leaving the store out of pocket if they've already refunded the customer, or blame the customers who deliberately "lose" their receipt because they know the warranty has well and truly expired on the chair and they wouldn't be entitled to a refund or exchange anyway, or blame the customer I had the other week who tried to return a "faulty" print cartridge without a receipt only to have it turn out that a) the cartridge wasn't faulty, his printer was (so the manufacturer would have tested it, found it worked and declined the store a credit) and b) he bought it as part of a multi-pack so it cost him less than if he'd bought it individually (if he'd bought the three cartridges back individually and talked his way into a refund on each of them, he'd have made a profit).

It sucks to be the customer who is bitten by this policy, but there's only one thing you need to do to avoid it - keep the receipt. Can't you arrange a drawer, box or file where you can throw the receipts for any reasonably sized purchase in case you need it again? It won't help this time, but it may help next time.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:29 AM
(Quick aside: as a native Swedish speaker, I'm having a lot of fun reading your pseudo-Swedish item names. Freffen froofer is my favourite so far. )
Old 02-27-2008, 08:00 AM
I have a fear of being trapped inside an IKEA when there's a fire and never finding my way out.

That's normal, right?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Charter Member
Not to sound like a Tyler Durden wannabe, but I've never set foot in an IKEA. What's the appeal? I rarely hear anything but complaints about them.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Brings Pie
my IKEA beef
"What do you mean, the front half isn't in stock?"

Vinyl Turnip: it's cheap, and you can kit out your whole home there, albeit mostly with crap; a lot of renters need stuff like that, though - no point spending money on good stuff when you're moving around still. And some of their stuff isn't even terrible; I can think of worse places to get plates and other kitchen bits. And the plants are okay as well, I suppose - certainly cheaper than from garden centres, at least here in the UK.

I'm still going to burn them to the ground for what they did, though.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Charter Member
[Fry] They sure know how to put almost everything you need in a box. [Fry]
Old 02-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Thing is, cazzle, Ikea's return policy is more onerous than other retailers, and they NEVER have "bought it at WalMart, returned it at KMart" problems, or "crappy supplier" problems, because practically everything they sell is a unique Ikea brand product. You can have a product new - unopened in the box, one that they sell every day, and they tell you they can't even give you store credit because you can't prove you bought the (entirely unique to Ikea) product at Ikea?

It also doesn't help that Ikea is a destination retailer, where people regularly travel long distances to get their unique product, and don't go every couple of weeks. It's not that easy to schedule another long drive to return a small item, when you finally have need to go back to the store, they can tell you to piss off because you lost the receipt or went over the time limit.

They may have a reason to do it, but I guarantee it pisses off a lot of customers, who know how other retailers treat returns.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:07 AM
I bought two identical chairs from them at the same time.
They were made of some sort of layered playwood sides with some struts inbetween to connect both sides.
After about 2 years one of the steel bolts just snapped in half leaving me in a crumbled heap on the floor.
About 3 months later the other chair did the exact same thing.
And I am about 170 pounds.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Slight hijack: Two or three years back I bought a nice leather office chair from Office Depot or Max (I forget which) for about $200. Haven't had the least little problem with it. Very comfy, too.

I mean, come on, an office chair from Ikea? Office Max and Depot specialize in office products. I never even thought about Ikea.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Quote:

A typical receipt reads:

If you say those product names, tens times in a row, into a mirror, at midnight, a viking will come out of the mirror and kill you.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra
If you say those product names, tens times in a row, into a mirror, at midnight, a viking will come out of the mirror and kill you.
Thanks, Zebra. I just choked on my biscuits and gravy.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Ok now I can start work.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo
You can't just buy their funny-named furniture anywhere, so i see no reason for them to require a receipt. I guess part of their rationale might be that Ikea furniture often changes hand multiple times, especially among college students. But if an Ikea chair is promised to last for five years, then it should last for five years, no matter how many different owners it has.
The reason for the receipts is so they don't have to honor their warranties as often. That's all it is. And in all likelihood it was brought on by too many warranty claims. Rather than retool or recall, they're focused entirely on bottom line, and at the warehouse price level, they probably feel just fine doing so.

They probably figure repeat customers are a small enough percentage of their business that they can lose a few. Especially the kind who don't keep every scrap of paper in their lives, or lean back in their chairs. Most of the rest IKEA will probably do right by, and come off a good outfit.

Last edited by Beware of Doug; 02-27-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm
No, they didn't get any meatballs that time.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponder Stibbons
I mean, come on, an office chair from Ikea? Office Max and Depot specialize in office products. I never even thought about Ikea.
Same here.

Ikea is good for some things, I'd say 1/3 of our furniture is from there (bookshelves, dressers, kitchen chairs, son's bed), their linens are nice and I love some of their kitchen gear (we use the plastic plates and tumblers we picked up for 2 dollars a package all the time, and the cheese greater is wonderful) but not everything is equal.

You just have to be a savvy shopper, as with any store. Play around with the display models, sit in the chairs, check the joins. Unless they just put out a new floor model you can get an idea of how well it will stand up, or maybe I've just been lucky in what I've chosen to buy.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Besides, most scandinavian businesses insist on reciepts. They don't where you are?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Quote:
. . .

. . .
It has been legal to sell those in Texas for almost two weeks: Reliable Consultants Inc. and PHE Inc. v. Earle, (5thCir., 12 Feb. 2008, No. 06-51067, Fulbruge, J.A.). I wonder when IKEA's Houston store will start stocking them.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Ok now I can start work.
My office furniture is all Scandinavian. Last night I weighed 199. This morning I weigh 201. It is sunny outside, so rather than going in to work today, I'm staying home and going cross-country skiing. I'm telling myself that it is a health and safety issue -- I don't want to get injured by breaking a chair.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septima
Besides, most scandinavian businesses insist on reciepts. They don't where you are?
Not in the good ol' U.S. of A.

Which might also explain this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak
Thing is, cazzle, Ikea's return policy is more onerous than other retailers...
Thing is, Cheescake, cazzle is from Australia, where receipts are much more commonly required for returns, or at least were when i lived there.

In fact, one of the consumer quirks that i found most amazing when i moved to the US was the liberal, even cavalier attitude that Americans (both retailers and consumers) take to returns. Many retailers will take back just about anything without making a fuss, receipt or not. And this has, in turn, produced a subsection of consumers who spend half their lives returning shit, even after they've used it and found it perfectly acceptable. Hell, some people buy thing with the specific intention of returning them.

I've been at return counters in places like Target where it's clear that people are returning items that have seen considerable use, and that have nothing wrong with them except the wear and tear of daily use. I've heard people admit that they do exactly that.

I think a fair return policy is a good thing, and that stores should not try to get out of their obligations by asking too much of their customers in this area. But i also think that, particularly for large or more expensive household items, it's not asking too much to request that consumers keep the receipt. Even if you buy a lot of crap, keeping the receipts for such thing shouldn't take up more than a single folder in your filing cabinet.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Quote:

I actually snickered at that.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:20 AM
I have my entire bedroom set from Ikea. Both daughters have a handful of Ikea products in their rooms (Desks, tables chairs, beds). I'm pushing 300 and I have yet to break anything from Ikea with my fat ass. Maybe you aren't using the chair right. I have always been told not to rock back in office chairs or to use them as step stools.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm sorry your chair broke and it took more effort than you think is right to replace it, but I've never had a problem with any piece of IKEA furniture. In addition, the book cases I bought more than 20 years ago and have dismantled and moved numerous times have never sagged, unlike any other knock-together book cases. I don't think the laminate has chipped on anything, the solid stuff is in great shape, and the issue is really that I can now afford better furniture so as I need new items I tend to upgrade from IKEA. I can't speak to their return/exchange policies, but of the ~30 pieces of furniture I've bought there (including chairs), I've never had to return anything.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:33 AM
When I first moved in with my girlfriend we purchased our entire home worth of furnishings from Ikea since it was cheap and was maybe five minutes away from where we were moving. In order for this to be accomplished we had to go to Ikea approximately 5 times a week for two weeks. Today, you couldn't march me back in there at gunpoint.

If I need anything Scandanavian besides black metal CDs these days, I go to Dania which seems similar but much nicer.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Between the receipt and Dead Badger's account of a trip to IKEA, I am practically snorting over here.

I just went to IKEA last weekend, and man does that place take it out of me. Plus, you get home and HAVE TO ASSEMBLE THE FUCKING THING BY READING PICTOGRAPHS.

And yet, practically every goddamn piece of furniture in my home came from IKEA. When will I learn?

FLARN
Old 02-27-2008, 12:03 PM
As a datapoint, we bought a changing table there for our daughter. We're still using some of the components. She's 26 now. Most of my bookcases are Ikea, and they're the best for the money I've seen (I use lots of bookcases.) I've had pretty positive experiences with them. I enjoy assembling the stuff, but I do 3-d jigsaw puzzles.

I think I may stay away from the chairs, though.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm
I just read this and guffawed. My manager in the next aisle called out "Let me guess - you're on that Dope thing, right?" A couple of heads turned.

If I cannot earn your respect, please allow me to purchase it from you.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout1222
Between the receipt and Dead Badger's account of a trip to IKEA, I am practically snorting over here.
http://jonathancoulton.com/songdetails/Ikea#

Please to be clicking on the video tab. Enjoy.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Oh Helheim! Loki the Asgard broke, and threemae has a Thor Hind.

Helheim is the place where the Norse that sat on their asses instead of fighting went when dead.

Yah Hind is Greek myth. Live with it.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm not a big fan of Ikea, but if I ever turn on the TV and see they've gotten the Swedish Chef from the Muppetts to be their spokesman, I will become a devoted and outspoken fan.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan
I'm sorry your chair broke and it took more effort than you think is right to replace it, but I've never had a problem with any piece of IKEA furniture. In addition, the book cases I bought more than 20 years ago and have dismantled and moved numerous times have never sagged, unlike any other knock-together book cases. I don't think the laminate has chipped on anything, the solid stuff is in great shape, and the issue is really that I can now afford better furniture so as I need new items I tend to upgrade from IKEA. I can't speak to their return/exchange policies, but of the ~30 pieces of furniture I've bought there (including chairs), I've never had to return anything.
No problems with my IKEA book cases either.

If I bought fewer books, I could afford fancier cases. But then I wouldn't need as many of them...
Old 02-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak
Thing is, cazzle, Ikea's return policy is more onerous than other retailers, and they NEVER have "bought it at WalMart, returned it at KMart" problems, or "crappy supplier" problems, because practically everything they sell is a unique Ikea brand product. You can have a product new - unopened in the box, one that they sell every day, and they tell you they can't even give you store credit because you can't prove you bought the (entirely unique to Ikea) product at Ikea?
As mhendo pointed out, there are obviously cultural differences at play here, and policies like Ikeas are widespread here. For companies like my employer, a policy like this isn't soley to prevent merchandise being returned that was purchased elsewhere, it's to prevent shoplifters getting refunds and exchanges on products they stole from us in the first place. Ikea products clearly came from Ikea, but that doesn't mean that they were purchased. Ikea do not want to reward theft with more free product. It's not "you can't prove you bought the unique-to-Ikea product at Ikea", it's "you can't prove you bought the unique-to-Ikea product".

We (the company that I worked for) periodically get hit by organised gangs of shoplifters despite our "onerous" return policy, but I believe management when they say that we would provide a much more attractive target to them if they knew they could get cash refunds or store credit from us without a receipt, which in turn would drive up the amount of store security needed to protect our merchandise. Reading any thread on here about the outrage people experience when asked to show their bag/receipt when they leave a store and you'll understand that these methods of attempted shrinkage control are considered intrusive and undesirable. It's a fine line that retailers walk, to keep thefts to an acceptable minimum while not pissing off genuine customers with too much surveillance, harsh return policies or restrictive security devices. That's why I say to blame the dishonest people who ruin it for everyone.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazzle
it's to prevent shoplifters getting refunds and exchanges on products they stole from us in the first place.
How exactly does one shoplift an office chair? The last one I bought came in a box over 2 feet (0.61 meters) on a side. It would have been tough hiding that under my trenchcoat.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink
How exactly does one shoplift an office chair? The last one I bought came in a box over 2 feet (0.61 meters) on a side. It would have been tough hiding that under my trenchcoat.
You didn't read my earlier post? As far as I know, Ikea doesn't manufacture their stuff onsite or instore - there are a myriad of opportunities for products to disappear before they ever hit the shelves during shipping, transportation and storage.

It's also quite difficult to effectively word and enforce a policy that requires receipts only for items small enough to be shoplifted. Far simpler to require receipts for all returns that to require your staff to measure all boxes and assess the likelyhood of it fitting under a trenchcoat.