Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Newegg Purchase requires "Verified by Visa" authentication?

I apologize if a similar question has been answered, but search is disabled.

I have not ordered from Newegg.com in a while, but apparently there is a policy now when you use your Visa card you get redirected to a new "Verified by Visa" page asking you to enter a bunch of personal information. From what I gather, this is so that my credit card company can shift the responsibility for fraudulent use of my card to someone else.

Newegg's explanation page states (emphasis added):
Quote:
If you are paying for your Newegg.com order using a Visa card, you may be re-directed to a Verified by Visa login or sign-up screen. This service is free to Visa cardholders and will help prevent unauthorized use of your Visa card on the Internet. You are not required to sign-up for this service to complete your order but are encouraged to do so to help prevent identity theft and safeguard your personal information.
I canceled this particular transaction by closing the browser window and then canceling it from the order status page on the Newegg site, but it's not clear to me how to complete the order without participating in the Verified by Visa process. Anyone done this? Would the order have eventually been processed anyway?

Since this is GQ, I am not interested in the reasons why I should mindlessly give away this information. To be clear, the question I am asking is:
"How does one complete an order from Newegg.com, paying by Visa, without using the Verified by Visa process?"

Thanks for your help
Old 03-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Doubt
To be clear, the question I am asking is:
"How does one complete an order from Newegg.com, paying by Visa, without using the Verified by Visa process?"
I'm guessing that you can't.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Doubt
I canceled this particular transaction by closing the browser window and then canceling it from the order status page on the Newegg site, but it's not clear to me how to complete the order without participating in the Verified by Visa process. Anyone done this? Would the order have eventually been processed anyway?

Since this is GQ, I am not interested in the reasons why I should mindlessly give away this information. To be clear, the question I am asking is:
The last time I got a 'verified by visa' screen, there was a button on it to skip or cancel the VbV section and proceed with the order. I'm not about to place an order anywhere to give you more specific info, but maybe that'll help.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:51 PM
How about asking newegg?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:57 PM
I tried to order some prints from Walmart.com awhile back and got the verified by Visa nonsense. I filled it out and it kept saying my information was wrong or not on record or whatever. So I called the customer service number and got the run around for way too long, and then they told me I had to create some kind of verified by Visa account or something. I hung up and decided I will never give money to a website that uses this farce of a "service".
Old 03-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Mastercard has a similar service as well, but when I order from newegg, there's always a button to skip it in the corner. I don't have a Visa, so I can't vouch for that button's presence.

From reading the Wikipedia article on VbV, it looks like once you sign up, depending on the retailer you may be able to set up a password as an extra layer of protection with your card. Of course, for that to be useful, you'd have to not be able to skip the process on any website, and all merchants would have to use the system.

I just always skip it though because I don't like the idea of typing all of that into a 3rd party looking site. If I registered for it through my CC issuer, maybe it'd be different.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan
How about asking newegg?
I think this is something related to the BANK rather than Newegg. I have two Visa cards and one of them triggers this with Newegg, the other doesn't.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Charter Member
What VISA says about it.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by groman
I think this is something related to the BANK rather than Newegg. I have two Visa cards and one of them triggers this with Newegg, the other doesn't.
The OP asked
Quote:
This doesn't seem to me to be a bank question but a newegg question. For example: "Hi, newegg. Is there a way for me to pay by phone using my credit card?"
Old 03-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan
The OP asked

This doesn't seem to me to be a bank question but a newegg question. For example: "Hi, newegg. Is there a way for me to pay by phone using my credit card?"

Well, look at the Visa site linked above. If this is a feature you did not request to be associated with your Visa card, then your bank must have, not Newegg. If Newegg gave you an option to bypass "Verified by Visa" when according to Visa this feature is requested for your card number, then what, mind you, would be the point of "Verified by Visa"? Paying by phone may be a viable option, but if the goal is to simplify online purchasing, then you have to deal with Visa and your bank, not Newegg.

Last edited by groman; 03-24-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Enter the wrong information into Newegg.com's Verified By Visa boxes a few times, and eventually you'll be given the option to continue with your order. Doing so will close the VBV form and your order will be completed.