Old 04-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Del Taco white sauce?

I love me some Del Taco Chicken soft tacos. Sadly, they don't seem to be here in PA.

Does anyone have ANY idea what it might be? I know in pizza places, white sauce is just Ranch Dressing (really... at Round Table, it came out of the same tub we used to fill the bucket in the salad bar) with some extra garlic smeared on.

But I'm fairly certain that's not the case with the awesomeness that is Del Tacos' chicken soft tacos.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:06 AM
My one socially acceptable bump. I posted this last night, in the wee hours, and maybe it fell off before the morning folks could actually see it. Maybe.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan
Sadly, they don't seem to be here in PA.
I feel your pain. No Del Tacos in NoWA either. Mmm... Del Beef Burrito... Taco Hell, Taco Time, Taco Del Mar, et al just aren't the same.

I've never had the chicken tacos. I'm more of a deadcow guy. But when I make fish tacos at home I make a sauce from sour cream and part of a packet of taco seasoning.

Del Taco means 'of the taco', doesn't it?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Did a google search - this is what I found - could this be it do you think? I have no idea as I have never even seen a Del Taco.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Aw man, now you had to go and remind me about Del Taco. Oh, how I miss them.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:53 PM
The chicken soft taco sauce IS mayo-based, but I'm not sure it would be the same as the fish taco sauce.

Wish I could help. I think it's yummy, too, and what makes me crave Del Taco.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kath94
The chicken soft taco sauce IS mayo-based, but I'm not sure it would be the same as the fish taco sauce.
I don't know. Common sauce = reduced cost.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Supposedly, the Fish taco sauce is the same as the chicken soft taco sauce. I asked while getting lunch (Maryland & Trop in Vegas) today

Be aware, the cashier was very new (hunt for the "green sauce" button new), the manager-type was Russian, and the woman on the line was Spanish-speaking. Who knows if we all knew what we were talking about, but the most of the other customers agreed that it's the same stuff.

YMMV
Old 04-23-2008, 12:39 AM
lol... glad to see some love of the Del Taco.

I'm going to give this white sauce a try this weekend, I think.

Thank you all!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan
lol... glad to see some love of the Del Taco.

I'm going to give this white sauce a try this weekend, I think.

Thank you all!
So how did it go?

(Yes, I'm raising not-quite-zombies-yet tonight. I finally have reliable teh internets again, and need to catch up. Plus I am feeling a wee bit isolated.)
Old 06-09-2008, 09:43 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
It's probably a mixture of mayo and sour cream, or their processed analogs, with maybe a little dill or garlic (very little) tossed in.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus
It's probably a mixture of mayo and sour cream, or their processed analogs, with maybe a little dill or garlic (very little) tossed in.
Supposedly, just a little lime and milk.

I'm not sure I believe it, which is part of the reason I revived the thread. I want someone else to try it first!
Old 06-10-2008, 03:11 PM
In one of the Pasadena Del Taco's, the drive through window gives one a clear view to the food prep area. I saw them dispensing the white sauce with what looked like a caulking gun. Not a bad tool for the job.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleach
In one of the Pasadena Del Taco's, the drive through window gives one a clear view to the food prep area. I saw them dispensing the white sauce with what looked like a caulking gun. Not a bad tool for the job.
That's pretty typical, I remember seeing Taco Bell dispensing sour cream the same way.

I haven't gotten around to trying it... but this weekend, I think, will provide an opportunity. Maybe. As much as I want to do this, it takes a lot of convincing of the wife, and she's the final arbiter. Seeing as she's not as adventurous as I am, we'll have to see what I can come up with.

What we need is some sort of food pioneer (paging Mangetout!) to take the first step for the rest of us....
Old 06-17-2008, 10:22 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Oh, hell. I'll just stop by the Del Taco on the way home and ask. There has to be a student of mine working there somewhere!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:59 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Huzzah! Leave it to my seniors. According to them, it's a combination of buttermilk ranch dressing, sour cream and a few seasonings.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:38 PM
so did anybody get the recipe? some people say ranch, but some people say mayo? im dying here =)
Old 10-17-2015, 06:47 PM
BANNED
I only eat hard taco. Soft taco is like burrito.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Best I have found

http://matthewsmenu.blogspot.com/200...-soft.html?m=1
Old 01-08-2016, 01:40 PM
This chicken taco, for this very sauce, was the only reason I would eat at Del Taco when I lived in Las Vegas. But now I live in the hinterlands of the DFW and would have to travel to Lovefield Airport to find a Del Taco over here.

Thanks for the recipe!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:52 PM
I used to work at a Del Taco way back in the 80's. The white sauce back then was simply 50% Best Foods Mayo (called Hellmann's on the east coast) and 50% Buttermilk, no other seasonings. It may have changed since then. We made it fresh everyday. There are no Del Taco's near me so have no idea what they serve now. This was the sauce that was used on the taco salad and other items.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancypup View Post
We made it fresh everyday.
Wait... So you're the guy sweating in the hot kitchen, pumping out the 'white sauce'?
Old 07-12-2017, 07:01 PM
I wonder where someone could buy a tube of taco caulk like this (sour cream). It'd probably be pretty handy since I use it a lot. I'm betting you can only get it with some type of food service....service. Any ideas... Not trying to hijack, just curious.