Old 05-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Every last fever symptom, but no fever. WTF, body?!

Yeah, yeah, I know the human body is supposedly a marvel of engineering and flexibility, blah blah blah. Right now, I don't want to hear it.

I'm a grown man, and I understand what symptoms typically accompany a fever. I think I have them all:

- Chills and goosebumps, even though it's not cold and I'm wearing a sweater.
- Watery eyes
- That floaty feeling when I walk
- Body aches
- I feel warm, to myself
- Physical weakness and general lethargy

Yet our thermometer tells me I have only the tiniest fever: barely over 100. And it's not just the thermometer; my wife, feeling my forehead in time-honored tradition, says I don't feel warm. WTF? Now I feel like a third-grader trying to play the "I don't feel well" card even though he feels perfectly fine. Except I don't feel fine -- I feel sick as shit. I feel sick as a dog who's really fucking sick.

On top of the fevery crap, I also have a massive head cold. The crap cemented in my nostrils could shatter a diamond drill-bit. And my cold has also violated our long-standing agreement whereby I always get one nostril to breathe through. No, this time, half my nose is sealed tighter than a Pharaoh's tomb, and the other one requires forced evacuation every 3 minutes.

Add a sore throat and wheezy chest cough, and I'm a regular museum of flu symptoms. But, hey, at least I don't have a fever!
Old 05-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Sympathies....
Old 05-05-2008, 03:09 PM
The fact that you are a man says it all...you have ManFlu....basically a cold in a woman's eyes.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
What's your usual body temperature, though? Mine usually runs cool, around 97.5, so a 100 degree temperature, while not life-threatening, means a little more to me.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Normal body temperature is 96-98.4 so 97.5 is perfect...you should be proud!
Old 05-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Charter Member
A nitpick, but a fever is a high body temperature. You can't have a fever without having a fever. I think you mean you have every flu symptom except a fever.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo
A nitpick, but a fever is a high body temperature. You can't have a fever without having a fever. I think you mean you have every flu symptom except a fever.
I'm going to nitpick your nitpick: yes, I know what a fever is. That list of symptoms includes all the things other than a high body temperature that I typically suffer when I have a high body temperature. Thus the word "accompany" in the OP. Not that I'm usually snippy toward nitpickers, but I'm sick, dammit, and cannot be expected to be nice.

Also, my healthy body temperature is about 99.2.

And an aside: with two young kids now ages 3 years and 8 months, I sure do get more colds than I did in my childless years. For the love of Og, do you cute little rats have to bring home every last bug from pre-school and daycare? Sheesh!
Old 05-05-2008, 06:44 PM
I sympathize with you! I too feel like complete crap, but without the fever. (In my case, I live with my teenage daughter and her baby, who attends daycare at my daughter's high school - a new germ every week it seems!) At least I'm keeping food down, which is an improvement over my weekend.
Get well, soon and fuck being nice while sick!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Have you been working (or whatever) too much? When I get really exhausted, I have the same problems. A GOOD night's sleep will usually right the ship, IME.

Joe

Last edited by Yorikke; 05-05-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Fixing my retarded spelling errors
Old 05-05-2008, 08:56 PM
If I may ask, do you have what we call "hangage" at our house. You know, are your balls hanging way low? As the mother of a pre-pubescent son, I rely on that over a thermometer.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I thought that over 100 degrees was considered a low-grade fever. I know I feel like crap when my temperature is 100, and I've even noticed at 99. My normal temp is about 97.6.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamex
I thought that over 100 degrees was considered a low-grade fever. I know I feel like crap when my temperature is 100, and I've even noticed at 99. My normal temp is about 97.6.
A fever is a Celsius temperature >38 degrees, or a Fahrenheit temperature >100.4 degrees.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANeverEndingRose
Well then where do we get 98.6? (::learns something new every day:

(off to wikipedia)
Old 05-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresgeorge04
Have you been working (or whatever) too much? When I get really exhausted, I have the same problems. A GOOD night's sleep will usually right the ship, IME.

Joe
This is pretty much the problem, right here. There's anothing good pitting I should make sometime, targeted at myself for not getting enough sleep.

Full-time job + 2 small children + house chores and bills + crazy number of hobbies I'm not willing to give up = 5-6 hours of sleep per night on average. It's been that way for about 3 years.

Every day I tell myself I have to cut back on the hobbies and get more sleep. It's been that way for about 3 years. Damn, I suck...

...but not as much as this nose-fucking headcold! I swear, if I detonated a stick of dynamite in my left nostril right now, the only remains would be a bloody smear and an unblemished chunk of hardened snot the size of my sinus cavity.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:46 AM
FDA Warning: Dynamite is not a drug and is not intended to treat, cure or diagnose any disease.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANeverEndingRose
I thought it was 98.6? Have I been lied to all these years?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticbear
FDA Warning: Dynamite is not a drug and is not intended to treat, cure or diagnose any disease.
...more than once.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Charter Member
I don't know what it is, but I've had the same thing. Did you by any chance recently stop using heroin?