Old 05-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Goodbye cruel world! I've eaten an expired Altoid

I was looking in the cupboard for something when I came across a tin of Altoids mints. I can't remember the last time I bought Altoids, and I have no idea what they were doing there. I popped one in my mouth and offered one to my husband and daughter. As my husband took one, my daughter exclaimed in horror, "Those expired in 2006!"

Sure enough, marked on the side of the tin, it says, "Best when used by 14 May 06". However, they are just as good and "curiously strong" as they probably were brand-new. If they would have been better two years ago, I can't tell. No ill effects as of yet.

Since when has candy had expiration dates? I've now noticed canned goods with expiration dates. Obviously, the stuff isn't really going to go "bad" on that date, so what's the deal?

The paper inside the tin says that they've been making Altoids for 200 years. If I ate 200-year-old Altoids, could I tell the difference?
Old 05-18-2008, 05:58 PM
It pretty much doesn't matter when it comes to sugar. Last year, around passover (April 2007), I bought almost 100 2-liters of "Kosher" Coke. I'm not Jewish, but rather enjoy Kosher Coke 'cause it has sucrose rather than Corn Syrup. The 2-liters expired in June 2007, and I'm still to this day drinking the 10 or o that are remaining.

That reminds me, I also need to drink the 2 remaining Goose Island Oatmeal Stouts that I have left, that expired on March 30. Mmm...bad yeast...ggaahh
Old 05-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Hello Homer Simpson.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:51 PM
I just ate two packets of Lay's Stackers or some such potato chips that expired May 6. No wonder someone left them for free at work!

It was a few hours ago and I'm still feeling OK.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:53 PM
I think the biggest single event to influence my lifelong habit to check expiry dates was opening my fridge as a kid and taking a good old gulp of rancid milk.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:06 PM
The Zeroeth Mod
I am going to look this up to see if I can confirm it, but I remember watching some kind of show a few months back about weird tailgating habits. I recall there being a segment about a guy who's been to every home game for his football team for the last x number of years, and how he still has a bag of potato chips that he brought to his first football game. He's been eating part of a chip from that bag at every game he attends.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Charter Member
Well, I say this calls for a singalong! Everybody sing... Found A Peanut!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer Dude
It pretty much doesn't matter when it comes to sugar. Last year, around passover (April 2007), I bought almost 100 2-liters of "Kosher" Coke. I'm not Jewish, but rather enjoy Kosher Coke 'cause it has sucrose rather than Corn Syrup.
Wha--? How is corn syrup not kosher?

Daniel
Old 05-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Shouting Grasshopper
Two year old altoids...that's nothing! In this week's episode of Lost, Hugo ate some crackers that were 15 YEARS old.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness
Wha--? How is corn syrup not kosher?

Daniel
Corn syrup isn't kosher *for passover* since it is derived from a grain.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:34 PM
I thought that anything w/ oil in it can go bad since oil goes rancid after a time. Altoids included. I've had some old mints before and they'd definitely turned.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNinja
I've had some old mints before and they'd definitely turned.
Excuse me, some of us actually like undead mints ya know.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:22 AM
I always thought that expiration dates on hard candies had more to do with moisture than toxicity. Hard candies absorb moisture from the air, if they're not packed air-tight. Altoids would probably disintegrate into a clumpy powder.

On the other hand, the Altoids Tamex describes seem to have lost some of their potency, if they are merely "curiously strong" like the label suggests. The last time I ate one I was pretty sure it burned a hole clear through my tongue.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM
A good friend of mine back in high school had parents who were "Dumpster Divers". They would check the dumpsters behind various supermarkets, department stores and warehouses for usable goods. There was always cases of expired chips, gum and pop; plus many other "goodies" at their house. I suppose they had enough experience to shy away from anything that might actually have turned but the stuff they did have was still good.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:02 PM
I worked at a cook for the Marine Corps as a summer job while in college. In the summer of 1983 we had a power failure on base and all of the refridgerated meat spoiled. Still, Marines gotta eat so we cooked what we had - bacon that had been canned in 1969. It was Vietnam-era surplus and was still "good" (meaning it wasn't spoiled - I can make no claims as the taste since I refused to samle any meat that old).
Old 05-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_n8
A good friend of mine back in high school had parents who were "Dumpster Divers". They would check the dumpsters behind various supermarkets, department stores and warehouses for usable goods. There was always cases of expired chips, gum and pop; plus many other "goodies" at their house. I suppose they had enough experience to shy away from anything that might actually have turned but the stuff they did have was still good.
An article I read in mental_floss magazine called people like that "freegans" .

The tin is rather airtight--I'm sure that's why the candy was still good. I'm surprised they didn't take the packaging into account when determining shelf life. Or maybe they did, and I just have unusually undead Altoids. Perhaps now that I have eaten them, I too will live forever.