L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

What about vodka would radicially change the smell and appearance of my urine and feces?

While drinking and into the next day, my urine has an oily smell and, should I neglect to flush, an oily sheen will form in the bowl.

While I'm not saying my feces usually smell like roses, non-vodka feces have a smell that I don't find particularly unpleasant. On vodka and the next day, my normally brown feces are yellowish and have a truly heinous acrid odor. They tend to be a little looser as well.

Other alcohols don't have this effect. I tend to drink the rotgut store brands so I don't know if a higher-end vodka would have the same effect.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:27 AM
I don't know, but beer makes my poop smell like commercial grade epoxy.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto
While drinking and into the next day, my urine has an oily smell and, should I neglect to flush, an oily sheen will form in the bowl.
Its that WD-40 brand, I bet.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Steatorrhea.

Eating less fatty foods before drinking your rotgut may help.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:29 PM
BANNED
I don't think that's it. I'm not experiencing any leakage. The stool is just looser. Also doesn't address the urine. The article makes no mention of alcohol consumption being a cause; it only mentions liver damage as a possible biological cause and if there were liver damage I would think the condition would be more continuous instead of being tied to drinking.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo Rugger
I don't know, but beer makes my poop smell like commercial grade epoxy.
How about 99 cent margaritas?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:06 PM
BANNED
I don't know either but I will report that it affects me the same way.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:10 PM
That's so odd. Vodka is one of my liquors of choice, and I've never had anything like this happen to me. Or maybe I just don't pay enough attention to my poops. The only thing that I can think of that I consume that changes my urine is asparagus, and we all know about that...
Old 08-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Quote:
I don't think that's it. I'm not experiencing any leakage. The stool is just looser. Also doesn't address the urine. The article makes no mention of alcohol consumption being a cause; it only mentions liver damage as a possible biological cause and if there were liver damage I would think the condition would be more continuous instead of being tied to drinking.

Much like the more common and famous -orrhea, it comes in various degrees. Surely those with terrible disease are going to experiance worse symptoms than someone who drinks a bottle of Karkov. The oil in your doo doo is just unabsorbed fat. Unless your having Karkov mixed with Pennzoil as your cocktails.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:33 PM
I find red wine or guinness worse on the stools.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Monkey
How about 99 cent margaritas?
You're never gunna let me live that one down, are you?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:44 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluricaun
The oil in your doo doo is just unabsorbed fat.
I don't know that there is any oil in my feces, and am not particularly interested in exploring. The oily smell is coming from the urine.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Alcohol metabolizes into acetaldehyde and (I think) further into ketones. Both can have a sickly sweet-sour smell.

Vodka's a pretty efficient vehicle for getting pure alcohol into your bloodstream, so it may be that you drink a bit more with vodka, too.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Do any other foods cause these symptoms? Like, maybe, potatoes?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huerta88
Alcohol metabolizes into acetaldehyde and (I think) further into ketones. Both can have a sickly sweet-sour smell.
Alcohol -> Acetylaldehyde -> Acetic Acid

The first process is carried out by alcohol dehydrogenase, and the second is by alcetylaldehyde dehydrogenase.

I'm pretty sure acetylaldehyde in the urine is a sign of a Bad Thing™.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szlater
Alcohol -> Acetylaldehyde -> Acetic Acid

The first process is carried out by alcohol dehydrogenase, and the second is by alcetylaldehyde dehydrogenase.

I'm pretty sure acetylaldehyde in the urine is a sign of a Bad Thing™.
Agreed -- it was my understanding that acetaldehyde was one of the things in your blood that made you feel like crap with a hangover, but got metabolized out by your kidneys or whatever. Acetic acid=vinegar which would suggest a sourish smell.

This

http://emedicine.com/med/byname/...toacidosis.htm

suggests that large doses of alcohol lead to formation of ketones in the liver, if I read it right.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 PM
BANNED
I don't think it's Alcoholic Ketoacidosis because the symptomology doesn't match. I'm not dehydrated or vomiting.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Quote:
I don't think it's Alcoholic Ketoacidosis because the symptomology doesn't match. I'm not dehydrated or vomiting.
I wasn't necessarily suggesting you had the actual condition (hope not!), just noting that there's a metabolic pathway that can lead to ketone formation, and that ketones (along with acetic acid) have a distinctive and sickly smell.