Old 09-21-2008, 12:09 PM
BANNED
Drilling Holes in a "Spanking" Paddle

I was talking to some elderly people and we got to talking about school punishment. They were telling me "In my day, we had a paddle and if you were bad you didn't get detention, you got paddle, and in front of the whole class."

Then one of them jumped in with "In my school they drilled holes in the paddle to make it hurt more."

So my question is "Does drilling holes in a 'spanking paddle' make it hurt more"? If so, why does it make it hurt more?
Advertisements
Old 09-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Charter Member
Drilling holes would reduce air resistance, the idea being that it could be swung harder and/or there would not be a 'cushion' of air at impact.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Less air resistance, leading to better speed/more force in the spank.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I've often wondered, does being spanked in school make you more, or less, likely to enjoy spanking as a sexual thing? Is getting the paddle from a sexy school marm the root of this fetish for some people?

I wasn't paddled, and have no desire for any kind of spanking sex-play. Never tried it, though, so I guess it's possible I might like it if I tried it.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Wouldn't there also be something to a paddle moving at equivalent speed (though having slightly less kinetic energy), distributing the force over less area, which would hurt more as well?
Old 09-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim View Post
I've often wondered, does being spanked in school make you more, or less, likely to enjoy spanking as a sexual thing? Is getting the paddle from a sexy school marm the root of this fetish for some people?

I wasn't paddled, and have no desire for any kind of spanking sex-play. Never tried it, though, so I guess it's possible I might like it if I tried it.
I was a victim of paddling with wooden paddles with hold drilled in them. I can say it had no effect on enjoying spanking as a sexual thing (I don't like it, and I don't recall that I ever did). However, I can saw it was a wonderful deterrent to misbehavior. It was a very effective means of communication.

I don't see how teachers can control their students today if they don't get any support from their parents. You can't spank the child, and everything is always the schools fault when Johnny isn't learning anything. Never mind that little Johnny is nothing but a troublemaker and class disruptor.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Hey, that's a neat trick. Thanks from me. (But probably not from my girlfriend.)
Old 09-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Charter Member
I went to public schools in Louisiana in the 1980's - the early 1990's. Our teachers had drilled paddles. We also had to sign them once we got paddled and the list was usually infamous. I have no idea if a drilled paddle hurts more than a non-drilled paddle but I do know that a drilled paddle doesn't hurt much at all. We had the option of swapping a given number of licks for an equal number of days of suspension or detention. Nobody ever took that option. You would have to be an idiot to and everyone would have made fun of you for that. I would love it if work would offer paddlings instead of listening to imbeciles drone on and on about beaurocratic performance reviews. I would gladly take the licks. Simpler times I guess.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Less air resistance, leading to better speed/more force in the spank.
At the speeds the paddle is traveling, combined with its small cross sectional area, air resistance is negligible.

Last edited by Santo Rugger; 09-21-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Yes, but not because of any special physical properties. It hurt more because at the beginning of the year the teacher would introduce her/himself, and second on the list was a loving description of their own personal, often highly stylized "enforcer".

No kidding, I was a student in Detroit late 70s, early 80s, as my neighborhood went mostly white to almost entirely black. By 3rd grade all my teachers were black, and some of them had some pretty extravagant paddles, some with a real detailed history and ornamentation. Many of them were from Africa, made from wood from Africa, hand crafted and cursed by some witch doctor so it hurt more, made of denser wood, with beaded handles for a better grip, and so on.

Sure, most of the teachers were probably stretching the truth a bit, having fun giving us reasons to avoid the things, but it worked. Those storied paddles always seemed to sting just a bit more. The best one though, was the teacher that was so sure her paddle was too much for young kids like us, she kept a stack of paper plates on her desk, and depending on what you did wrong, she'd give you a number of plates to dull the pain. Didn't matter, just being young, naive and thinking that thing was fatal was enough to scare the crap out of you.

Other teachers didn't bother with the stories much. I had a gym teacher that had a heavy iron bar. He never needed to correct us. Of course, he was also a big, mean looking black guy, nobody questioned that he'd actually use it. I bet he never picked the thing up more than once a year during his fear-inspiring presentation.

Of course, you had the abusive types, but it was like with parents. One teacher only used a flexible ruler, but she used it all day long. Use the punishment too much, the kids got used to it, it became a pride thing to get smacked with it. On the other hand, the teachers that rarely paddled someone seemed to benefit from peer pressure effects, if they paddled you, you must have done something pretty bad.

As for spanking and sex, paddling was out before I started thinking about sex, at least, sex with older women (like those all the way in their 20s!), so I don't think it had much affect. Of course today, a sexy woman is willing to get naked for me, I'm more than happy to spank or be spanked. Whatever helps keep her naked.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
I don't see how teachers can control their students today if they don't get any support from their parents. You can't spank the child, and everything is always the schools fault when Johnny isn't learning anything. Never mind that little Johnny is nothing but a troublemaker and class disruptor.
Support from parents does not equal permission to take a wooden paddle to a child's behind.

I've taught, and in 95% of my discipline problems, a call home was all it took to straighten the kid out. Maybe some of the parents paddled at home, but I doubt it. Mostly, they seemed to use grounding, revoking of privileges, extra chores, and the like, to get through to their kids.

Of the remaining 5%, most of those had some sort of learning disability or emotional problem that was really and truly getting in the way of them behaving in the classroom. The parents were almost always doing their best to understand what was going on in their kid's head, provide appropriate limits and support, and work with the teachers.

The few remaining kids who were just incorrigible . . . well, yeah, most of them had uncooperative parents. There was almost always something else going on as well - drug or alcohol abuse, mental illness, truancy, that sort of thing. No paddle is going to help in those circumstances.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
I would love it if work would offer paddlings instead of listening to imbeciles drone on and on about beaurocratic performance reviews. I would gladly take the licks. Simpler times I guess.
Okay, you've just sold me on corporal punishment.

Stranger
Old 09-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Ah, yes. The Paddles. My dad was a junior high school math teacher, and generally regarded as the school disciplinarian. He had a paddle for school, and one for home. The one at home didn't get hauled out much. My brother and sister and I were generally bright enough to avoid the sorts of discretions that justified use of the paddle. The things I recall being serious enough to warrant a swat or two were lying or fighting.

The paddle at school got a fair amount of business (including 3 swats for me for getting into a fight at school - the official going rate for that sort of thing). Dad would usually talk about who got swats, and I don't recall it being a daily sort of thing - rare enough that it was interesting to hear about, but often enough that the kids knew it was a real possibility.

In high school, the PE teacher also had a paddle (a few other teachers did too - I don't think any of the women teachers had one). He was a bit more creative in his punishments. There were certain things that you didn't do - come to class late, forget your gym clothes, horseplay in the pool, etc. Each of the infractions earned you a "trip", meaning that you had to run a relatively hilly course over about 2 miles within 25 minutes or so. If you didn't want to run, then that was 3 swats. Most everyone that earned a "trip" did the run, but I do recall one of the guys (a pretty tough football player and wrestler) decided he'd take the swats. The teacher got all the class together to witness, and proceeded to dole out the punishment. No tears or screams, but you could tell it was not pleasant.

As far as holes in the paddles, I don't recall that any paddles that I knew about in the school had the holes drilled in them, but I do remember that the general understanding among the students was that the paddles with air holes were to be avoided at all costs. It seemed to be the sort of legend where the kids didn't have any first-hand knowledge, but had a friend who had received swats with the low-air resistance paddles.

This was all back in the late 60s to early 70s.

I don't ever recall any of the swats I got or knew about where there was any anger associated with it, at least on the part of the adults, and mostly not from the kids. It always seemed to me to be something that you tried to avoid, but if you didn't, you simply knew that it was the price to pay for your "crime." In retrospect, it seems a lot more like a business deal than anything. I definitely didn't ever associate it with violence (except as a preventative measure) as it was characterized in later years. I am aware of situations where spanking was more like a beating, but that definitely was not my experience.

Regarding the sexual thing, my pretty clear connection between paddling and my dad and PE teacher would probably have done in any fantasies had I ever been inclined that way, but spanking is never been anything that I've had any interest in.

Last edited by Public Animal No. 9; 09-21-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by phouka View Post
Support from parents does not equal permission to take a wooden paddle to a child's behind.

I've taught, and in 95% of my discipline problems, a call home was all it took to straighten the kid out. Maybe some of the parents paddled at home, but I doubt it. Mostly, they seemed to use grounding, revoking of privileges, extra chores, and the like, to get through to their kids.

Of the remaining 5%, most of those had some sort of learning disability or emotional problem that was really and truly getting in the way of them behaving in the classroom. The parents were almost always doing their best to understand what was going on in their kid's head, provide appropriate limits and support, and work with the teachers.

The few remaining kids who were just incorrigible . . . well, yeah, most of them had uncooperative parents. There was almost always something else going on as well - drug or alcohol abuse, mental illness, truancy, that sort of thing. No paddle is going to help in those circumstances.

phouka, I sincerely hope you don't think I was criticizing teachers. On the contrary, I come from a long line of teachers. From my outside perspective, it seems like teachers just don't get the support they need to effectively teach a class. I admire what they do; I couldn't do it myself. It's encouraging to hear that you got parental support with a phone call. That's not how I stereotyped that in my head .
Old 09-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
I went to public schools in Louisiana in the 1980's - the early 1990's. Our teachers had drilled paddles. We also had to sign them once we got paddled and the list was usually infamous. I have no idea if a drilled paddle hurts more than a non-drilled paddle but I do know that a drilled paddle doesn't hurt much at all. We had the option of swapping a given number of licks for an equal number of days of suspension or detention. Nobody ever took that option. You would have to be an idiot to and everyone would have made fun of you for that. I would love it if work would offer paddlings instead of listening to imbeciles drone on and on about beaurocratic performance reviews. I would gladly take the licks. Simpler times I guess.
I forgot about that! We used to sign the paddle too! When you got paddled, did you have to bend over and grab your ankles? We did. Oh what a terrible time to wear those 70's style tight jeans.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Quote:

Less likely, I think -- going by my own experience, anyway. I went to public school in West Virginia from 1965-1977, and the paddling of problematic pupils was real big there. Having been the sort of kid whom teachers seemed to enjoy frequently hitting on the ass with a board, there are now very few things I find less erotic than the notion of paddling, from either end, and I'm about as perverted an individual as you're likely to find. There's just too much baggage of real violence and indignation attached to it in my mind.

As for the original question, I was always under the impression that the holes were there to raise bumps on the flesh of a smacked butt, like making an impression on modelling clay, so it would hurt worse and longer.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by phouka View Post
Oh, and since I missed the edit window; I didn't mean to imply that I thought paddling was a replacement or had anything to do with the punishments doled out at home. Any punishment should be doled out on its own merit.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Drilling holes would reduce air resistance, the idea being that it could be swung harder and/or there would not be a 'cushion' of air at impact.
I think that the lack of a cushion of air made the difference. That, and there was more pressure, and more places where the skin would deform.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:14 PM
In addition to any real effects, the holes will make it whistle a bit louder as it is swung, which probably has the psychological effect of making the spanking seem worse.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 AM
It's the holes themselves. Think in terms of actual contact. The skin protrudes ino the holes. They're like reverse nails.

Last edited by Magiver; 09-22-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:13 AM
The holes just made the paddle look more scary and fierce for the sake of deterence.

Whether or not the paddle had holes didn't effect the amount of pain delivered, it was all in the amount of depravity of the user. I got hit with a paddle with holes in it by a 6 ft. tall kindly assistant principal that stung a little and I been hit with a solid paddle by a 5ft 2 clinically insane nun in her sixties that almost crippled me for the day.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 AM
Does anyone know how to contact Mythbusters? I have an idea for the show.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
It's the holes themselves. Think in terms of actual contact. The skin protrudes ino the holes. They're like reverse nails.
Thank you! That's exactly the idea I was trying to get across, expressed a lot more clearly. The skin/flesh gets forcefully pressed into the holes and makes the blow more painful.

Kids used to sign the paddles in school back in West Goddamn, too, like other posters in this thread have mentioned. It actually seemed to be a source of pride or humor to some of them, and it definitely was for the teachers, many of whom were repressed, sadistic old bats with foul tempers and strong authoritarian tendencies.

There was also an even sicker wrinkle to the whole thing which occurred where some kid -- usually a boy who had gotten a lot of ass-whoopings -- would make a new paddle for a favored teacher and present it to her (our grade-school teachers were all female back then) at the end of the school year. I never could figure out where the hell that came from, but it was a fairly common occurrence.

Last edited by DLuxN8R-13; 09-22-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo Rugger View Post
At the speeds the paddle is traveling, combined with its small cross sectional area, air resistance is negligible.
I'm not sure I buy that (in other words, I think the holes may make a detectable difference to air resistance), but I don't have any data/models either, other than knowing that I can feel the air resistance from swinging a 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of paper.

Can anyone put something solid on this?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
Can anyone put something solid on this?
No pun intended?

The force due to drag is:

F = 1/2 rhoair v2 Cd A

where:

rhoair = 1 kg / m3
v = 10 m/s (assumed)
Cd = 1.28 (flat plate perpendicular to flow)
A = .33 m * .10 m = .033 m2 (assumed)

F = 2.11 N = .47 pounds force.

ETA: Holes that subtracted half the cross sectional surface area would have half the drag, or 1 Newton (.25 lbs) difference. You can surely -feel- the drag on a piece of paper, but you're putting in magnitudes higher force, so it's not really going to slow you down any.

Last edited by Santo Rugger; 09-22-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Quote:
That's what I had always heard, as well.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:28 AM
I was lucky and never got spanked in school, but I remember the thin paddles with holes in 'em and how most of the kids would rather have walked through fire than get a spanking from that evil thing. Notice I said most kids.

My mum used ping-pong paddles on me and HOLY SHIT did they hurt. I can't imagine how much they'd hurt with holes in them too.

Last edited by BaneSidhe; 09-22-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo View Post
In addition to any real effects, the holes will make it whistle a bit louder as it is swung, which probably has the psychological effect of making the spanking seem worse.
Bit like a Stuka dive bomber huh?

Beat me harder master

Last edited by chowder; 09-22-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:39 AM
I went to High School back in the 70's, and while we had the paddles with the holes in them, our teachers had a somewhat different slant on the general care and maintenance of diciplinary implements.

Ours were kept in a bucket of water.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Something tells me such a teacher today would suddenly discover a squad of police on his doorstep, who in turn would find a sizeable cache of child porn on his computer.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
No skin, even in those days the swat was delivered to a clothed set of bottocks.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Charter Member
My guess for why holes hurt more: it's the edges. The wood is smooth, except for the edges at the holes. If the edges were well-rounded, I don't think it would hurt more.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

What is the legal basis for an adult to threaten or spank a child without violating laws against assault or battery? Do the laws give exemptions to parents or teachers for disciplinary use? Does the degree of injury (or lack of it) change things? Or, are laws just not enforced? The specifics would depend on state, I'm sure.

(This is GQ, please don't let these factual questions lead to a debate.)
Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Quote:

In my case, no. The first woman I remember looking at with lust in my heart was a Novice, Sister Marie, who taught music to my 3rd grade class. She was slim and blond and pretty. She was, maybe, 20 years old.
I was seated next to a kid named Mike who had about 9000 things wrong with him. To be brief, Mike was making noise and disrupting her class. She thought it was me and reprimanded me. He did it again and she beat me across the back and shoulders with a pointer until the pointer broke. Then she really went berserk because her pointer was broken.
I did not then, nor do I now, find being spanked or beaten the least bit sexually stimulating.
I won't defend her, but I think I understand why she did it. That was still a day and age where she might have entered the Convent primarily from family pressure, rather than a personal desire to be a nun. Her beating me might well have been motivated at frustration and anger at feeling out of control about the direction her life was headed.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo Rugger View Post
No pun intended?

The force due to drag is:

F = 1/2 rhoair v2 Cd A

where:

rhoair = 1 kg / m3
v = 10 m/s (assumed)
Cd = 1.28 (flat plate perpendicular to flow)
A = .33 m * .10 m = .033 m2 (assumed)

F = 2.11 N = .47 pounds force.

ETA: Holes that subtracted half the cross sectional surface area would have half the drag, or 1 Newton (.25 lbs) difference. You can surely -feel- the drag on a piece of paper, but you're putting in magnitudes higher force, so it's not really going to slow you down any.
The holes are not about reducing area, they're about giving the air a place to escape. Think of how it feels like to swing a ping pong raquet vs a tennis raquet.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLuxN8R-13 View Post
Thank you! That's exactly the idea I was trying to get across, expressed a lot more clearly. The skin/flesh gets forcefully pressed into the holes and makes the blow more painful.
Useless anecdote: I only got swatted once (in the 1970's), by a male gym teacher. I was not required to pull down my pants... I would think the fabric of my clothing (pants or underwear) would prevent any "skin deformation".

How common was it to have folks pull down their britches and bare their bum?

Also, he did not swat me with such a great force that I would believe that my skin would have done so, if I was barebottomed... interesting pattern to the blush-bruises perhaps, but I doubt there would have been any actual cellulite squeezing into the paddle holes.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmanese View Post
The holes are not about reducing area, they're about giving the air a place to escape. Think of how it feels like to swing a ping pong raquet vs a tennis raquet.
My research area is in objects impacting on a free liquid surface and studying the air pockets that form underneath said objects. That air pocket is significant, at least above speeds of about 1m/s. So if the air holes did dissipate the air cushion that formed right before impact, they definitely could have some effect.
Now, if you're wondering if a kid could actually feel the difference between the two? I doubt it.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:46 PM
SD Curator of Critters
Quote:
Oh what a terrible time to wear those 70's style tight jeans.
When I went to parochial school in the 1960s, the Christian Brothers were masters of the paddle. One of the biggest troublemakers in my sixth grade class made it a habit of coming to school wearing two pairs of corduroy pants on days he expected to get a paddling.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Quote:
However, I can saw it was a wonderful deterrent to misbehavior. It was a very effective means of communication.

I don't see how teachers can control their students today if they don't get any support from their parents. You can't spank the child [...]
Spanking? Please. Back in my day, when we acted up, the teacher would take us down to the metal shop and "polish" our fingers on the grinding wheel, and then make us sign the wheel in our own blood. We used to dream of being spanked.

What good does a spanking do? There's no blinding pain, no chance of infection, no permanent damage; in a day or two, the misbehaving punk will be sitting comfortably again as if nothing had ever happened. That's no way to teach him a lesson. Grind an inch or two off his fingers - that's a lesson that'll stick with him for the rest of his life. Out on the savannah, if you anger a lion, he doesn't just spank you: he cripples you for life, and then you know better!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
Something tells me such a teacher today would suddenly discover a squad of police on his doorstep, who in turn would find a sizeable cache of child porn on his computer.
You'd be wrong in nearly half of the country, particularly the south. Corporal punishment is still permitted by law in 21 states.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:51 AM
We never had a paddle, we had The Strap

One of our teachers, and I suspect he was a perv, used to offer us a choice.

6 of the best with The Strap

or

500 lines.

We allus went for The Strap
Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 AM
I was paddled in school Private school in the '70s.

We had everything from solid paddles, drilled, wide, narrow, etc. It was up to the teacher. One teacher even used a "switch".

I don't really remember much a difference. And I felt them all. I was always getting paddled. Mostly for talking in class. I have a very high pain tolerance and paddling was definitely the better choice over lines.

My mom used wooden spoons. Now they hurt more than a paddle. But not really all that much. I cannot tell you how many spoons she broke on my backside.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Charter Member
Remember the movie "Dazed and Confused"? Apparently, some parts of the country once had a tradition of kid-on-kid paddling.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Charter Member
There are at least three BDSM practitioners on this message board. Surely someone has done some compare-and-contrast experiments!

Paging Freekalette . . .
Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 AM
In southern Illinois in the 70's we got paddled. It was a pretty big production. Since the teachers had to get a second party to witness the paddling, they would go to the classroom next door and get the teacher there. Then the teacher, the paddlee and the witness would disappear into the hall. The whole class would go silent and listen for the swats. If you were the one getting paddled, you kept your pants on and the teacher would tell you to grab your ankles. Then she would usually administer three quick swats with a ping pong paddle. No one in the classroom ever spoke until the teacher and the paddlee returned.

For serious infractions, you were sent to the principal's office. Our principal was a one-armed war veteran. He was a kindly fellow, still young enough to have a full head of hair and not grey. He didn't use a ping pong paddle, but he had a custom-made thing like the paddles in Dazed and Confused, with holes drilled into it and the handle wrapped in leather. He kept his custom paddle hanging on a nail in his office for everyone to see. Meetings in the principal's office were terrifying. You sat there weeping, looking at the paddle on the wall and knowing it would hurt more than anything you'e experienced yet. The principal could swat pretty hard with that one arm of his, too. You'd be taken out into the hallway and told to grab your ankles, and the pricnipal would administer his three swats.

All but one of the teachers in my elementary school delivered the rare spanking with calm, detached disappointment.The only one who would lash out in anger, Mrs. Scott, would dress up as the wicked witch of the west on Halloweens and sometimes she'd do the melting scene for an assembly, but she had a reputation of being crazy and you didn't want her for fifth grade. You wanted Mr. Lahr instead, an obese, bass-voiced grandfather type.

But no bare-bottom spankings, and it didn't make me hot for discipline porn or sexual spankings.

And in response to the OP, al the teachers used regulation ping-pong paddles, except the principal, who used the custom-made paddle with holes drilled in it.

Last edited by BMax; 09-23-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMax View Post
All but one of the teachers in my elementary school delivered the rare spanking with calm, detached disappointment.The only one who would lash out in anger, Mrs. Scott, would dress up as the wicked witch of the west on Halloweens and sometimes she'd do the melting scene for an assembly, but she had a reputation of being crazy and you didn't want her for fifth grade. You wanted Mr. Lahr instead, an obese, bass-voiced grandfather type.
Wait a minute. One of your teachers would dress up like the Wicked Witch of the West, and another was a fat man named Mr. Lahr?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:19 AM
The belief in the BDSM community is that the holes reduce the cushion of air that might protect the spankee at the point of impact (as several people have pointed out above). I have both drilled and non-drilled paddles, so on Saturday, strictly as a service to the SDMB (and don't think I don't occasionally get those two acronyms mixed up), I will experiment on four people. The results will be necessarily subjective, but we'll try to make them as comprehensive as possible.

The things I do for science.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerowyn View Post
I nominate you for this.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amazing View Post
Wait a minute. One of your teachers would dress up like the Wicked Witch of the West, and another was a fat man named Mr. Lahr?
Yep. But we weren't in Kansas, and no midgets.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
by Cerowyn
The belief in the BDSM community is that the holes reduce the cushion of air that might protect the spankee at the point of impact . . . . I will experiment on four people.
Is it possible to obtain a paddle that has holes drilled into the striking surface, but not drilled completely through the paddle?

That would enable you to test whether it is air resistance, or the texture of the striking surface, that has the most influence on the result.

Last edited by mbh; 09-24-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerowyn View Post
The belief in the BDSM community is that the holes reduce the cushion of air that might protect the spankee at the point of impact (as several people have pointed out above). I have both drilled and non-drilled paddles, so on Saturday, strictly as a service to the SDMB (and don't think I don't occasionally get those two acronyms mixed up), I will experiment on four people. The results will be necessarily subjective, but we'll try to make them as comprehensive as possible.

Do be sure it's a double-blind study. I'm sure your repetoire also consists of blindfolds?