Old 11-28-2000, 11:55 PM
Just saw the new Robbie Williams clip, Rock DJ or something.
Ew.
But that's not the point. The point is: if a person is skinned alive, how long will s/he live? Hours? Days? Years?
Old 11-29-2000, 12:03 AM
BANNED
May be an hour. Till they loose ~30% of their blood.
advise them to have
their heads checked.
Peace
Old 11-29-2000, 12:45 AM
Warning: Extremely Disgusting

No idea about losing all one's skin, but I have heard about someone who lost a very vital part of his skin...

My wife the doctor had a diabetic patient who had extensive necrosis of his scrotum. They ended up removing his scrotum to stop the necrosis and the guy had to spend several days in bed with his totally exposed nuts on a little pillow. Finally, they took his nuts off completely. I don't know why they (a) didn't just take his nuts off when they removed his scrotum, or (b) put his nuts inside his abdominal cavity where they could live out their natural lives.
Old 11-29-2000, 01:00 AM
what the...oversharing citygent
Old 11-29-2000, 01:05 AM
Ew. I just ate circus peanuts, dammit!
Old 11-29-2000, 10:45 AM
Skin is a very important part of our immune systems. If we were skinned we would be prone to infection all over our bodies. Bacteria, viruses, mycoplasma, very small insects...it would be a feeding frenzy!

Our lymphatic and circulatory systems would struggle desperately to meet the thousands or millions of simultaneous breaches of the perimeter, at the same time it's also trying to repair the injury itself (imagine a whole-body scab).

It would fail at both efforts. Even with prompt and state-of-the-art medical attention (massive doses of antibiotics, lots of bandages) you'd probably die of shock or heart failure before all the infections had time to kill you.

I'm not a doctor, but my guess is a skinned person would be terminal within a few hours at most.
Old 11-29-2000, 10:48 AM
The big problem, I thought, was with hydration. Your fluid loss without skin is phenomenal. It's a major challenge with serious burn victims.
Old 11-29-2000, 11:54 AM
Well this certainly is an interesting question. Without skin, we would not only lost=e a lot of blood, be prone to hyper-infection, and be a giant scab, but we also would have a helluva time regulating our heat, since the skin's sweat glands take care of this for us.

I maintain that shock alone from losing it all would leave you dead within a few minutes at the most.
Hey, there’s nothing wrong with a little anger. None ever died from someone getting angry.. Well, nobody COOL ever did. And if God didn’t want us to kill our problems away, he wouldn’t have given us guns and things. Anyway, there’s an old saying that goes “Sticks and stones can break your bones.” It’s true y’know, so watch yourself!
-AngryBot-
Old 11-29-2000, 04:15 PM
Cool song...weird video. Very weird.
Old 11-29-2000, 06:10 PM
::whips out an overly large carrot peeler::

C'mere, Uni, let's do a science experiment...
Old 11-29-2000, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gunslinger
::whips out an overly large carrot peeler::

C'mere, Uni, let's do a science experiment...
Thanks but no thanks. I like my skin where it is.
Old 11-29-2000, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Uniball
Ew. I just ate circus peanuts, dammit!
I'm confused here. Is the 'ew' due to the peanut-eating, or City Gent's overly expressive story?

-Dave
Old 11-29-2000, 10:30 PM
People survive (occasionally) after having 3rd degree burns on over 90% of their body... original skin is gone at that point I would say. If treated right medically maybe so could a skining victim?

You're all a bunch of sick fuckers if you ask me.