Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 PM
A brisket by any other name ... .

I'm thinking of cooking a brisket. However, my current supermarket doesn't have anything labelled "brisket" in their cold case. Does brisket ever go by other names?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:48 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Talk to the butcher. Often the briskets are too large to put in the cold case with the hamburger and chops. They will happily cut it in half for you, if you only want to cook a smaller piece at a time.

Yum.....brisket. Low and slow and oh so good.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Usually I'll find brisket in "cryopacks" alongside ribs and the like, not with the steaks and such. You might also try the food clubs like Sams, Costco, etc. But I've never heard of brisket being called anything other than brisket.

Generally speaking, the meat is tougher the closer to the chest the meat comes from. Beef chuck and brisket come from around the shoulder, chuck's the upper/top cut and brisket's the lower/bottom cut.

Likewise, the closer to the front or chest area, the slower you must cook it. That farther back on the animal is going to be more tender, ie steaks. Many of the briskets you find in stores are already cooked and all you have to do is heat them to your desired serving temp. But if you do want to do it yourself you can slow cook it on a smoker @300 degrees for anywhere from six to twelve hours, depending. Use a good flavored wood or marinade to flavor and add BBQ sauce at the end. Then, like with fajitas, slice against the grain.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Another option is to find a local restaurant supply store. Not Costco, but a place where small restaurants actually get their stuff. They will sell uncooked briskets in the afore mentioned cryopacks. In fact, I've never seen an uncooked brisket in a regular grocery store or warehouse store. And to answer the actual OP, I've never heard it called anything other than brisket.

Last edited by Improvisor; 10-09-2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvisor View Post
Another option is to find a local restaurant supply store. Not Costco, but a place where small restaurants actually get their stuff. They will sell uncooked briskets in the afore mentioned cryopacks. In fact, I've never seen an uncooked brisket in a regular grocery store or warehouse store. And to answer the actual OP, I've never heard it called anything other than brisket.
Costco does have brisket, though. I've gotten it there before.

"You might as well give your son a ticket to hell as give him a 5-string banjo"