Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 10-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 32,822
FBI mole Robert Hanssen - How has his family handled it?

I just watched Breach, the movie based on the capture of the mole Robert Hanssen, whose passing of information to the Russians constituted perhaps the most serious damage to U.S. national security.

In addition to being a spy, Hanssen was also apparently an ultra-conservative Catholic, involved in Opus Dei, and had a habit of imposing his religious views on his subordinates.

Furthermore, Hanssen was also secretly making videotapes of his wife and himself having sex and sharing the tape with his friends.

(Hanssen pleaded guilty to numerous charges and is currently serving a life sentence.)

Hanssen's Wikipedia page indicates that his wife had some reason to suspect his spying, but overall, the family was portrayed as being very close.

What I'm curious about is what happened after Hanssen's capture and the disclosure of everything that went on. It seems to me that in a lot of criminal cases, family members tend to rationalize or justify the perpetrator's actions.

Is there any indication of how Hanssen's family has handled this? Do they believe he was innocent and all this was trumped up or a misunderstanding? Alternatively, do they think that his actions were somehow justified, that he was doing something good? Or have they reconciled themselves to the fact that he is a criminal and a traitor and deserves punishment?

Any ideas?
Advertisements
#2
Old 10-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 10,525
Hansen's wife had discovered his spying for the Soviets earlier in their marriage. He portrayed it as selling worthless intel to the Soviets for quick and easy money. She went with him to a priest and Hansen promised he would never do it again, so she was aware of his past spying. The family is very conservative politically and very patriotic they live (or lived, they might have moved) in northern Virginia, I've been by their house and all the cars had bumper stickers promoting conservative issues. I'm not aware of any public statements from the family, but I remember reading in the Washington Post that they had accepted that he was guilty and that he had betrayed his family in many ways. He had a really bad childhood and I think I remember reading that the wife blamed a lot of Bob's behavior on his abusive father.
#3
Old 10-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Cloudcuckooland
Posts: 5,925
From the Crime Library story on Hanssen:
Quote:
Hanssen will spend the rest of his life at a federal prison in Lewisburg, Penn. It is a three-hour drive from Washington and his family has promised to be there each weekend. Bonnie Hanssen's Catholic faith does not allow her to waver, and when asked the inevitable questions about the future she always answers the same way.

"I'll never divorce him. I love him and I'll pray for the salvation of his soul every day for the rest of my life."
Quote:
Despite the personal sexual reports, Bonnie and the children continued their weekly visits. In an act of solidarity, his mother, Vivian Hanssen, moved from Florida to Virginia and now lives with the family.
e: that's a pretty interesting account of his life, BTW. I looked it up in an attempt to answer the OP, but I ended up spending nearly an hour reading the whole thing.

Last edited by neutron star; 10-13-2008 at 08:08 PM.
#4
Old 10-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 32,822
It's hard to know what to think. I mean, obviously, the guy is pretty fucked up and he was a traitor and his actions resulted in numerous deaths. On the other hand, he's not the BTK killer.

On the other hand, so far as I know, Hanssen doesn't seem to have shown any remorse. And it's not entirely clear why he did what he did.

At what point does a man deserve to be repudiated by his family?
#5
Old 10-14-2008, 04:44 AM
Member
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 3,356
They are Opus Dei Catholics and their priest told Hanssen to give the money to Mother Theresa, I wonder if any of it was returned?
#6
Old 10-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 52,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
I just watched Breach, the movie based on the capture of the mole Robert Hanssen, whose passing of information to the Russians constituted perhaps the most serious damage to U.S. national security.

In addition to being a spy, Hanssen was also apparently an ultra-conservative Catholic, involved in Opus Dei, and had a habit of imposing his religious views on his subordinates.

Furthermore, Hanssen was also secretly making videotapes of his wife and himself having sex and sharing the tape with his friends.

(Hanssen pleaded guilty to numerous charges and is currently serving a life sentence.)

Hanssen's Wikipedia page indicates that his wife had some reason to suspect his spying, but overall, the family was portrayed as being very close.

What I'm curious about is what happened after Hanssen's capture and the disclosure of everything that went on. It seems to me that in a lot of criminal cases, family members tend to rationalize or justify the perpetrator's actions.

Is there any indication of how Hanssen's family has handled this? Do they believe he was innocent and all this was trumped up or a misunderstanding? Alternatively, do they think that his actions were somehow justified, that he was doing something good? Or have they reconciled themselves to the fact that he is a criminal and a traitor and deserves punishment?

Any ideas?
I think you are looking for links to what his family thinks, not just our blind opinions, so I am moving this thread from IMHO to General Questions.
#7
Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 16,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
In addition to being a spy, Hanssen was also apparently an ultra-conservativeCatholic, involved in Opus Dei, and had a habit of imposing his religious views on his subordinates.

Furthermore, Hanssen was also secretly making videotapes of his wife and himself having sex and sharing the tape with his friends.
Does anyone see some weird contradictions here?
#8
Old 10-14-2008, 12:50 PM
BANNED
Join Date: May 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 26,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit View Post
Does anyone see some weird contradictions here?
No. The ones who pretend to be closest to god are the real perverts. We have a bunch of evangelical leaders doing all those weird things with men .women and livestock. Watch the ones who speak the loudest. They are covering up.
I saw the movie and Hanssen was very outwardly religious. They spent a fortune to catch him.
#9
Old 10-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 24,855
Quote:
"I love him and I'll pray for the salvation of his soul every day for the rest of my life."
That's an attitude I don't understand, frankly. Aside from any other points, either God will forgive him or he won't. What good does nagging God every frickin' day do? Some avowed deeply religious people seem to have an awfully low opinion of the Man Who Lives in the Clouds.
__________________
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 10-14-2008 at 12:55 PM.
#10
Old 10-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
It's hard to know what to think. I mean, obviously, the guy is pretty fucked up and he was a traitor and his actions resulted in numerous deaths. On the other hand, he's not the BTK killer.
What he did may not be as grisly or gruesome, but what he did was just as bad if not worse. Not only was he responsible for the deaths of several people who were responsible for the nation's security, but he also undermined the efforts of thousands of others. I think what he did was worse, and if his wife knew he did that, she should be in jail too. I think it's also bullshit that they get to keep part of his pension.
#11
Old 10-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Cloudcuckooland
Posts: 5,925
Is there an account anywhere of the deaths that were directly attributable to his actions? The Crime Library article only mentions two: spies for the U.S. in the KGB who were outed in his initial communications and subsequently executed by the Soviets.

Last edited by neutron star; 10-14-2008 at 10:57 PM.
#12
Old 10-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Cloudcuckooland
Posts: 5,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickbacon View Post
I think what he did was worse, and if his wife knew he did that, she should be in jail too. I think it's also bullshit that they get to keep part of his pension.
According to her accounts, "verified" by lie detectors, the only thing she knew about was the incident mentioned by madmonk28. I have to think that if there was more to be known, FBI interrogaters could have gotten it out of a housewife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray
And it's not entirely clear why he did what he did.
I don't think you can pin it on one reason. One that stood out to me was this rather poignant quote:
Quote:
His hero, Kim Philby, may have explained his mind best. Just before his death in 1988, Philby said, "To betray, you must first belong. I never belonged."
The only place he really did belong was Opus Dei, and he used most of the money he made from selling secrets to put his six children through expensive Opus Dei private schools. I'd have to think that making enough money to fit in in the only group where he could fit in was a motivating factor.
Quote:
His children were good students, and he believed they might in the future be part of a holy war that would remerge God and country, whose leaders would then ban abortion, divorce and other evils of the world that he and Opus Dei opposed.

A 1998 research paper from Brigham Young University studied 139 spies and concluded that half of them did it for the money. "People usually spy for some combination of emotional gratification and remuneration," John Pike, a specialist in intelligence issues, said, "but in all cases, money is how they keep score."
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: cheratussin ac otc tarantella lyrics is spook racist rehydrate contact lens songs about paint adesso mouse red car syndrome miker toner wood notching tool babs porn hydrocodone hiccups expository dialogue giant tortillas hockey substitution rules dimms democrats digital fax machine pointed boob pretzel flavor middle name origin terraria mushroom block chopsticks gifts 11ga steel pronounce thuy paddling fraternity repeating names brahmins in usa walgreens detox kit transvestite names preauth debit emmanuelle vaugier eyebrows paintball reddit squad hand signals conus oconus chew pills who sang white wedding how to get hot wax off skin what is a thumper in magic what a fool believes lyrics meaning best of kitchen nightmares how to clean white landscape rocks amazon sent package to wrong address wellbutrin and alcohol reddit how to tell if someone restricts you on facebook fuck that ass hole how much of a song can i use in a youtube video guinness 06 13 glass how to print personal checks at home golden corral chocolate wonderfall use steel wool #0000 to polish glass windshield what is college ruled paper how much does a home bowling alley cost pics or it didn't happen meme third degree burn on fingertip why can't alcoholics drink in moderation why do the blind wear sunglasses gas grill vs pellet grill hello operator give me number 9 song pump gas with engine on shipping by rail vs truck popular science vs scientific american chicken na biscuit crackers how does grecian formula work sushi makes me poop omron blood pressure monitor irregular heartbeat symbol google maps arctic circle individual salad dressing packets e85 in normal car weed eating shin guards how to caulk a bathtub wide gap