Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Portland, O-bamagon
Posts: 7,851
I Hate The Homeless

I know since I'm on the left I'm supposed to think that the homeless are just down on their luck, but I fucking hate them. The bus I took this morning stunk of vomit. Someone shit in our store doorway - during the day - for the 4th time in 3 weeks! The mess, the stink, constantly being harrased for money, having customers afraid to come downtown - I'm sick of shoppers, workers, and residents being incovenienced by people who give nothing back to society.

The crazies need to be forced to take their meds, the drunks need to sober up and the young people with their fucking dogs can go back to what ever city they hitchhiked here from. Oh, and you church-based charities providing free food: go set up shop in the suburbs someplace rather than in the middle of the historic section of town. Businesses pay an extra tax for the "privilege" of being downtown, why do they have to put up with the dregs of society.

OK, more after the edit. Our free public transportation zone may have to be scrapped because the homeless ride it all day to keep out of the rain. We can't have public toilests because hookers use them to turn trick, addicts use them to shoot up, and dealers use them as bazzaars.

Last edited by DanBlather; 10-20-2008 at 10:40 PM.
#2
Old 10-20-2008, 10:46 PM
BANNED
Join Date: May 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 26,307
http://alternet.org/story/102992...e_new_paupers/
You might run into somebody like this. Be nice.
#3
Old 10-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Republic of Anoxia
Posts: 2,048
Well, the only solution I see that isn't a huge drain on the public coffers is a return to debtor's prisons and work farms. That might be seen as 'cruel and unusual', though.

It seems that the money that went to maintenance of the public restrooms would pay for one portapotty and one security guard. Let 'em line up.

How about special ID cards, issued only to landowners or leaseholders, that has a magstrip to open public lavatories?


Fuck it. Round 'em up and shoot em.
#4
Old 10-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 13,620
Pay toilets.
__________________
No Gods, No Masters
#5
Old 10-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 34,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khampelf View Post
How about special ID cards, issued only to landowners or leaseholders, that has a magstrip to open public lavatories?
Why would landowners and leaseholders need to use public lavatories?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Pay toilets.
How would this prevent the homeless from shitting in doorways?
#6
Old 10-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Finger Lakes area of NY
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khampelf View Post
Fuck it. Round 'em up and shoot em.

Bullets cost money. Pit graves and mass burials, Shove them in and back fill the soil.

Why yes I have had problems with the homeless before, thanks for asking.
#7
Old 10-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The 'Burg
Posts: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker57 View Post
Bullets cost money. Pit graves and mass burials, Shove them in and back fill the soil.

Why yes I have had problems with the homeless before, thanks for asking.
Class warfare also costs money. IANAE, but I am reasonably sure we could provide warmth, shelter, and food to every person in America and have it cost considerably less than the effects of organized campaign of murder against the poor.
#8
Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the saddle
Posts: 704
If you do not give people an "out" from capitalism, what do you expect?

Why should I have to labour? Of course I should, indeed, have to, in order to sustain myself. But why should I be forced to do it within your economic framework?

I see the homeless as pioneers. (Well, no, I don't. They stink and bother me with their laziness, but at least they're doing the only thing they can do overthrow this tyrannical system of wealth accumulation. So, yes, in that manner I do applaud them. It takes a lot of courage [or something] to be homeless.)

If you really want to solve homelessness; if government really did care, we'd have kept Australia [or insert your viable island of choice] as a prison colony. Don't want to contribute, don't want to accept prison for infringing upon our ways of governance, exile. Seems reasonable. Seems a lot more reasonable than just throwing unwilling people into jail who'll commit the same crime again given the opportunity. eh?
#9
Old 10-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Portland, O-bamagon
Posts: 7,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khampelf View Post
Well, the only solution I see that isn't a huge drain on the public coffers is a return to debtor's prisons and work farms. That might be seen as 'cruel and unusual', though.

It seems that the money that went to maintenance of the public restrooms would pay for one portapotty and one security guard. Let 'em line up.

How about special ID cards, issued only to landowners or leaseholders, that has a magstrip to open public lavatories?


Fuck it. Round 'em up and shoot em.
Making this into a class thing is disingenuous. The poor more than anyone need good public facilities: libraries, parks, public transportation, and public toilets. The problem is that all of these are endangered when you let drunks, addicts, criminals, and the teenage hobby-homeless run amok.
#10
Old 10-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker57 View Post
Bullets cost money. Pit graves and mass burials, Shove them in and back fill the soil.
It's always nice to see someone who's a truly ugly person on the inside.

Oh wait, no it isn't, it's deeply disturbing and depressing. Although I've really got to put my hands together for the people who think the solution to the homeless conducting bodily functions in public is to make sure there's no way they have somewhere to do it in private. Stunning logic on that one.
#11
Old 10-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,556
I don't feel one iota of remorse for these people. In my eyes, it's impossible to be truly poor in America. These guys can't get welfare checks? Food stamps? They can't get a Pell grant to go to school? The only way to be poor is to be drugged up, drunk, or crazy.
#12
Old 10-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Portland, O-bamagon
Posts: 7,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSunrise View Post
It's always nice to see someone who's a truly ugly person on the inside.

Oh wait, no it isn't, it's deeply disturbing and depressing. Although I've really got to put my hands together for the people who think the solution to the homeless conducting bodily functions in public is to make sure there's no way they have somewhere to do it in private. Stunning logic on that one.
And who is it that preventing public toilets? The fucking "homeless" that turn tricks, vandalize, shoot-up, and deal drugs.
#13
Old 10-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 34,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelSoldier View Post
I don't feel one iota of remorse for these people. In my eyes, it's impossible to be truly poor in America. These guys can't get welfare checks? Food stamps? They can't get a Pell grant to go to school? The only way to be poor is to be drugged up, drunk, or crazy.
Let's, for the moment, concede that the drugged and drunk do so because of character flaws. But why are you lumping the crazy in with them? What moral failing have they demonstrated to earn your disgust? And what would you propose to do with "the crazy"?
#14
Old 10-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in the Mojave
Posts: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelSoldier View Post
I don't feel one iota of remorse for these people. In my eyes, it's impossible to be truly poor in America. These guys can't get welfare checks? Food stamps? They can't get a Pell grant to go to school? The only way to be poor is to be drugged up, drunk, or crazy.
Want to try this with no fixed abode sometime?
#15
Old 10-21-2008, 01:54 AM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Republic of Anoxia
Posts: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Why would landowners and leaseholders need to use public lavatories??

The OP seemed to speak of a downtown business district, where the landed gentry would do some shopping. Public Toilets are not strictly for the homeless.
And yes, even the nobles shit and piss.
#16
Old 10-21-2008, 03:47 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: On the beach!
Posts: 8,943
I have since moved, but for eight years lived in an inner-urban area of Melbourne that was renowned for its population of homeless folk, attracted by such services as St Mary's House of Welcome, the various soup kitchens and of course the Psychiatric Unit at St Vincent's Hospital.

And yeah, there were a few stinky folk who boarded the tram/s on my way to and from work each day, necessitating a move to the farthest reaches of the vehicle. And there were a few who hounded me mercilessly once they realised I was good for a couple of bucks. There were some who ranted and raved on the street corners, undoubtedly in the midst of some paranoid episode.

But the worst of the fuckers were the Eastern Suburbs studs who would flock to Brunswick Street on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in search of a good night out! They'd hang out in the bars (then piss and shit in the doorways of the closed businesses, just to leave their 'mark') and they'd harass and harangue us locals in a way that was horribly offensive. And when the garbos came across their (almost) lifeless bodies the next morning in the gutter....well, one would be hard pressed to determine which one was a 'homeless person' and which one was a 'well-homed-but-out-for-a-nignt-on-the-town'.

Just sayin' etc.
#17
Old 10-21-2008, 04:20 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBlather View Post
And who is it that preventing public toilets? The fucking "homeless" that turn tricks, vandalize, shoot-up, and deal drugs.
That's like an argument. Except wholly without reason, use, or logic.

Why do you put homeless in quotation marks? Are you trying to insinuate that a cardboard box and some newspaper is really a home, and society is being out of control politically correct?
#18
Old 10-21-2008, 04:44 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Manila
Posts: 25
I have bad experiences with beggars. Once, I was buying a bowl of noodles from a take-out place and got a few coins for change. A boy, thin, filthy, and in ragged clothes was hanging around and asked for my coins. Since it was only ten pesos (PHP), I gave them to him. A few seconds later, I was surrounded by kids with outstretched hands. I tried to explain that I had spent the last of my money on my lunch, but they would not back off. I tried walking away quickly and they followed me! I crossed the street and they were still there. I managed to lose them in the end, but that was freaking scary.

I'm sorry that they have to beg to eat, but harassing me is not the way to earn my sympathy.
#19
Old 10-21-2008, 05:37 AM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: South London
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Let's, for the moment, concede that the drugged and drunk do so because of character flaws. But why are you lumping the crazy in with them? What moral failing have they demonstrated to earn your disgust? And what would you propose to do with "the crazy"?
Agree. Let the crazies off the hook. Mostly it ain't their fault.

I work with homeless people in London. My company has people out every night looking for rough sleepers on the street, then we have hostels for them. From there, they go to supported housing(smaller than hostels), which is the level I work at, then they ideally go to their own places.

My company has 'meaningful occupation' programmes: we give them stuff to do in the day time. Coffee mornings, voluntary work etc. They pay about £6 to £10 a week to live in supported housing. Housing Benefit(welfare) pays the rest - about £125 a week.

Some people thrive; this is the opportunity they needed. They get off the drugs or booze or both, they manage their mental health issues, get back to work and make a contribution.

Some people turn the houses in to crack dens, never pay their minimal rent and abandon the property owing thousands, and having done thousands worth of damage.

Some homeless people are pricks. Some are not. Some police officers are pricks, some are not. Same goes for social workers, teachers, artists, authors, receptionists, waiters and every other fucking group in the world. Perhaps it's disproportionate in the homeless population, but there are some that take responsibility for themselves and some that continue to leech.

It's the former that keep me doing my job, the latter that makes us all despair. I hate the homeless that fall in to that category.
#20
Old 10-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,419
I feel badly for the homeless, even when the ones that brought it on themselves. (to an extent)

When I grew up there was a guy named Herbie in my neighborhood. he was older than I was, in his mid 20's when I was still in Junior High.

Around the time I was in college I was home visiting and I asked a friend about people in the neighborhood I had not seen in some time. When Herbie's name came up I found out he had been living on the street in Wilmington (DE) for some time. (apparently due to a crack addiction, or so I was told), A year or so later I found out he had been found in alley, dead. Frozen to death.

I have a cousin thats about ten years older than I. He's on disability, and doesn't work. He could probably find some kind of part time gig just to pass the time but he claims they'll take away his disability if he does. Its a shame. When I was kid he was married and his wife was smokin' hot. He has 2 sons (that don't really communicate with him). He was a former marine, and he had a gorgeous harley he used to ride around. (Hell, he was also....get this...a black belt in Karate. He used to teach it to kids at the local community center) We used (us kids) think he was so cool. We called him "The Black Fonz".

But then he had an accident. He was almost killed in a car accident. Someone ran him over when he was changing a tire. then the moron backed up over him! Hence the disability. He was in bad shape. He never recovered. After years of watching him sink into depression and drugs his smokin' hot wife left him. He began moving from place to place staying with friends. In the late eighties he was staying with a known drug addict in the old neighborhood and i was living and struggling with bills in my parents house. (everyone had died in my immediate family, including my sister.) i told him he could come stay with me if he'd pay 1 third of the mortgage as rent. I won't go into some of the horror stories about it, it would make this a very long post. Suffice it to say that when I decided to go on active duty I told him he had to move out before I left. (In another horror story I left the house to be rented and watched out by my BIL. He did so many things wrong I had to go to the JAG office to unload the burden.) Anyway my cousin (we caled him Clucky for some reason) moved out to stay with some friend of his. I came home on leave a few years later and he had a section 8 apartment that honestly was not bad. His rent was only about 100 bucks. It was located near the old neighborhood so all of hiss friends were near. I stayed with him while I was home, and then left. I came back a few years later to find he had moved....now get this...into a shed behind someone's house. Not a big shed either. It was just large enough to fit a cot in it along with the gardening stff and lawn mower etc. The person letting him stay there ran an extenstion cord from their window to the shed so he could plug in a small TV and a space heater. It seems he just didn't pay the rent on his apartment so they kicked him out.

Of course the shed thing didn't last too long either. None of my relatives would have him. He certainly couldn't live with my wife and I (we were in Germany anyway). So he was homeless. He'd stay at a friends house for a night, sleep in a car or an alley a few days and so on. Finally my aunt (not a real aunt but a close family friend we all called Aunt M) got him into church. He cleaned up his act a bit and she let him stay in her house for a time. Currently he's staying with his brother. I sure hope he doesn't fall back into the drugs and stuff, because his brother has children and would surely put him on the street.

The thing is Clucky isn't a bad guy. He drove me nuts when he lived with me, but you know, he's family, I do love him. And we had a few good times living together. Sometimes he'd almost revert back to his old pre-accident self. Yes, he could have avoided some of the crap he got into, but in some ways I think I didn't do enough to help him. I was younger than he was, I didn't have any money or much of anything....but I should have tried to look out for him better. My uncle that died in 2001, did that for me when my folks died. So there by the grace of God I didn't become Clucky.
#21
Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 AM
BANNED
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NoCal
Posts: 1,696
Take a stroll through downtown Santa Cruz sometimes. These people are homeless because they are lazy. It's ridiculous to allow people to behave that way in a civilized community. The piss and shit in the streets, the vomit, the drunks, aggressive panhandling, lack of public toilets... fuck them.
#22
Old 10-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Over by dere
Posts: 27,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't fight the hypothetical View Post
Take a stroll through downtown Santa Cruz sometimes. These people are homeless because they are lazy. It's ridiculous to allow people to behave that way in a civilized community. The piss and shit in the streets, the vomit, the drunks, aggressive panhandling, lack of public toilets... fuck them.
But you can't "not" allow it without providing a viable alternative. Addiction and mental illness cannot be treated in the same way that "down on their luck" homeless people are treated. What do you suggest?
#23
Old 10-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DC
Posts: 5,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun View Post
But you can't "not" allow it without providing a viable alternative. Addiction and mental illness cannot be treated in the same way that "down on their luck" homeless people are treated. What do you suggest?
Yeah, I'm not sure what to do. Throw them in jail? That costs money and doesn't really fix anything. Well sure, they're no longer on the street bothering people, but what about when they get out? It'll be even harder to get a job. Seems like it would be cheaper* to provide some sort of "treatment", although that requires some willingness to receive it.

*than prison. I don't have numbers though.
#24
Old 10-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 9,193
I don't have a problem with people who are genuinely homeless. I'll give 'em a couple of bucks if I can, and I'll put up with their craziness and their smell. There but for the grace of God.....


But I **do** have a major problem with the aggressive beggars, most of whom are not homeless at all (the genuine ones aren't in your face if you say 'no'). There was the guy (about ten years ago) who admitted in a newspaper article that he made $600-$700 per week by hitting the commuter trains, or another guy who made the same paper (a liberal/left-leaning broadsheet, BTW) for asking for the usual "two dollars for a train fare", and then being seen running a bag of coin through the counting machine at a downtown bank.

Those guys can FUCK OFF.


As for the pissing in doorways, it's usually smashed British backpackers (yes, yes, I know we do it in London too).

Last edited by TheLoadedDog; 10-21-2008 at 08:05 AM.
#25
Old 10-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Over by dere
Posts: 27,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure what to do. Throw them in jail? That costs money and doesn't really fix anything. Well sure, they're no longer on the street bothering people, but what about when they get out? It'll be even harder to get a job. Seems like it would be cheaper* to provide some sort of "treatment", although that requires some willingness to receive it.

*than prison. I don't have numbers though.
It's a tough problem. You're right...jail isn't the answer. It's expensive and temporary. Many homeless neighborhoods are created because mental patients are more or less dumped there. Addicted homeless are treated, and sometimes it takes...sometimes it doesn't. Shit...addiction treatment for the gainfully employed / insured usually doesn't take the first or second or third time around. The problem is complex; we can't expect the solution to be simple. Homeless people have incredibly complex fucked up lives, whatever the cause. Compassion and thoughtful solutions will go further toward solving the problem than scorn.
#26
Old 10-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
the homeless ride it all day to keep out of the rain...stunk of vomit. Someone shit in our store doorway...
Sounds like lack of shelter and public restrooms are more to blame than anything else. In a stratified society, there will always be a bottom stratum. Better to provide a minimal baseline of support than to deal with these things eh? If they had a roof to be under and a shitter to shit in, you wouldn't see any of this stuff, no matter how bitter you might be about actually helping people for free. OMG...
#27
Old 10-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 3,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon sunshine View Post
If they had a roof to be under and a shitter to shit in, you wouldn't see any of this stuff, no matter how bitter you might be about actually helping people for free. OMG...
Bullshit.

There are plenty of "normal" people who have no qualms about trashing houses and pissing/shitting wherever, regardless of available resources.

Add in the factors of poverty, drug addiction, and mental illness- you're going to have issues even if there was a bathroom on every street corner.
#28
Old 10-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: domebo
Posts: 3,136
Sad.
#29
Old 10-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Republic of Anoxia
Posts: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBlather View Post
Making this into a class thing is disingenuous. The poor more than anyone need good public facilities: libraries, parks, public transportation, and public toilets. The problem is that all of these are endangered when you let drunks, addicts, criminals, and the teenage hobby-homeless run amok.

Does it help if I see this as a class war, but from the bottom?
My condo will be auctioned off in the public square in December, and I'm living in a tent behind a shed. Work's so thin I can't pay both rent and child support, so guess which I chose?

But only because I lack the moral character to have a lot of money.

Yes, I work five part time jobs, and I'm barely hanging onto my car and cell phone.

Recession, my ass. I call it a depression.
#30
Old 10-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 3,892
It seems like the general take home here is that if you are poor or homeless that it must be some sort of a moral failing on your part. I mean, I though we got over all of that Calvinism bullshit a long time ago, but it seems that I am mistaken.

Here’s the deal people: If you want to have Capitalism where we reward unbridled greed and acquisition, you are going to have to have poor and homeless people. Addiction and mental illness are a part of the human condition. Deal with it. If you don’t like what that makes your community look like, come up with a viable alternative other than “fuck the homeless”. Fuck you.
#31
Old 10-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khampelf View Post
Does it help if I see this as a class war, but from the bottom?
My condo will be auctioned off in the public square in December, and I'm living in a tent behind a shed. Work's so thin I can't pay both rent and child support, so guess which I chose?

But only because I lack the moral character to have a lot of money.

Yes, I work five part time jobs, and I'm barely hanging onto my car and cell phone.

Recession, my ass. I call it a depression.

Are you serious? What happened?
#32
Old 10-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 24,534
I'm a public librarian at a large downtown library, which I'm sure people are really tired of me saying every damned time this comes up. And you know what? I hate the fucking homeless people too. Now, some of them are mentally ill, and for that I have sympathy. Some of them are looking for work. But you know what? I don't SEE those people because they're busy looking for a job, not bugging me about the fucking newspaper all the time and having to be thrown out by security because their drunk asses got in another fight!

The acutely homeless need help, and often get it. Those are people who live in their cars, or temporarily live in shelters, and who maybe come into the library for help finding a job. I've read that the average homeless time period for them is less than two weeks. Those are not the people we're complaining about as homeless people.

The chronically homeless are sometimes mentally ill. I know one lady who was the World's Second Most Horrible Person until she got the appropriate meds, and now she has a job and is a productive taxpayer! Now that's a program I can get behind! Shit, I'll pay for her meds myself if it means I never have to deal with her as Evil Hat Lady again!

However, most of the homeless people I see every day are not mentally ill and they are not acutely homeless. They don't want to work. People come in every so often looking for day laborers and can't find a one, while I can look right now from my desk, because it's a cold day, and see maybe 40 able bodied men who could work but don't. I don't get it, either, because they're here before I am in the morning and to me that's the hard part of working - having to be there every day! Now, if you don't want to work and some dumb do-gooder wants to enable you, fine. But there's a ton of people who won't come to the downtown library because of them. They smell. They're drunk, they're rude, they steal library cards and try to look at porn on the internet. For a while we had a problem with hookers giving $5 blowjobs in the 900's, and that's with very good (usually) security!

So yeah, those chronically homeless people with no excuse? Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em hard and fuck 'em somewhere else. You lose your compassion real, real fast working here.

ETA - by the way, my boyfriend is trying hard to make it in these hard times as a retail store owner now, and they're paying a crapload of money for location only to have panhandlers hassle their customers. Nobody gave him any fucking money to run his own business, but people who expect somebody will give THEM money are making it a hell of a lot harder for him.

Last edited by Zsofia; 10-21-2008 at 10:29 AM.
#33
Old 10-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 24,534
Oh, and don't EVER believe anybody in a city who tells you they can't get enough to eat, because that is bullshit. There are enough soup kitchens and food banks in every city I've ever been in that anybody willing to take the charity is not going hungry. Unfortunately, you can't get a fifth of whiskey at First Baptist's free lunch. A lot of these guys get checks every month, you know - pension, welfare, disability, VA, whatever. The library is like a tomb at the first of the month because they hole up in cheap hotel rooms and drink until the check runs out.
#34
Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
And what would you propose to do with "the crazy"?
Feed them to the drunks.

just joshin'.
#35
Old 10-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Posts: 5,021
[Modest Proposal 2008]
Eat the homeless
[MP2k8]
#36
Old 10-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Outtastate
Posts: 4,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelSoldier View Post
I don't feel one iota of remorse for these people. In my eyes, it's impossible to be truly poor in America. These guys can't get welfare checks? Food stamps? They can't get a Pell grant to go to school? The only way to be poor is to be drugged up, drunk, or crazy.
Since when do welfare checks and food stamps make someone less homeless? For the very short time I was on public assistance, it wasn't nearly enough to pay the rent. And I was neither drugged up, drunk or crazy. Underemployed with a family to feed is a lot closer to the truth.
#37
Old 10-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon sunshine View Post
Sounds like lack of shelter and public restrooms are more to blame than anything else. In a stratified society, there will always be a bottom stratum. Better to provide a minimal baseline of support than to deal with these things eh? If they had a roof to be under and a shitter to shit in, you wouldn't see any of this stuff, no matter how bitter you might be about actually helping people for free. OMG...
Fuck that. You're telling me that if I don't like what someone is doing it's my responsibility to provide them something else to do? If someone robs a bank because they couldn't find a job is that my fault because I didn't give him money or find him a job? Guess what? You're not a fucking dog. You know where to shit. Find a fucking bucket or something if it's THAT dire but don't shit in the doorway to my business you filthy fucker.

The guys that run all over the intersections begging for money from stopped cars are great examples of this. These fucking people CAN get jobs. Washing dishes, mowing lawns, shoveling shit, whatever menial labor task you want to put here. They CHOOSE not to. They don't WANT to. So they spend their days approaching uncomfortable people trapped at stop lights to beg for money instead.

Don't come in here and tell me all the ways they can't get those jobs because the fact of the matter is that they CAN but they don't WANT to.
#38
Old 10-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV.
Posts: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
[Modest Proposal 2008]
Eat the homeless
[MP2k8]
Who gets the backstrap?
#39
Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelSoldier View Post
I don't feel one iota of remorse for these people. In my eyes, it's impossible to be truly poor in America. These guys can't get welfare checks? Food stamps? They can't get a Pell grant to go to school? The only way to be poor is to be drugged up, drunk, or crazy.
Geez, are there no prisons, are there no workhouses?

You don't have to feel for them, thats up to you. But it is possible to desperately poor and not on drugs, drunk or mental illness.
#40
Old 10-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 85
The stunning lack of compassion expressed in this is really quite honestly mind-blowingly unbelievable. And I don't think I could possibly fill my previous statement with any more terms to assist in describing my utter dismay.

I absolutely cannot fathom the mindset that it is better for people you don't even know to live a life of misery or possibly even have the exciting potential to freeze or starve to death, than to provide some minial food, shelter, and clothing.

I mean, these people, even if it only some of them, might be taking advantage of our largess. And preventing that, friends, helps me sleep far better at night knowing that not no one, not no way is gonna take me for a free ride. Better that those (potentially lazy) slumps suffer and die.
#41
Old 10-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Suspended
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 18,476
I think many of the homeless described here are severely mentally ill. The problem is: most states do not allow someone to be institutionalized (against their will). In fact, the ACLU defends the "right" of the homeless to live on streets and freeze to death. We simply have to acknowledge that some people need to be locked up. Next time you are in san Francisco-take a look at what the homeless have done for that city.
#42
Old 10-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the lion's paw
Posts: 13,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSunrise View Post
That's like an argument. Except wholly without reason, use, or logic.
Seems like a good argument to me. The reason that they don't have a place to conduct bodily functions is that they abused the privilege, causing them to be shut down.
#43
Old 10-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: San Francisco, NL West.
Posts: 8,094
...ness problem?
#44
Old 10-21-2008, 02:59 PM
BANNED
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NoCal
Posts: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun View Post
But you can't "not" allow it without providing a viable alternative. Addiction and mental illness cannot be treated in the same way that "down on their luck" homeless people are treated. What do you suggest?
It's a complicated problem no doubt. But being homeless, regardless of the reason, shouldn't mean you get to use other peoples means of livelihood as a public toilet or aggressively accost potential customers. I sympathize with people with addiction, I've been there. But I never thought the town owed me sleeping and pissing in the street because I was down on my luck.

What's wrong with loitering laws? Public drunkenness laws? Panhandling laws?
Before living here I lived an hour south in Monterey. They had all of those laws and it was a nice, clean safe place to live.

I'm not suggesting we discard the homeless, yes, set up programs. But that doesn't mean they get to spoil it for everyone else in the meantime.
#45
Old 10-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 17,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
. . .
Sad story. By the way, Clucky is a generic nickname for a crackhead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon sunshine View Post
Sounds like lack of shelter and public restrooms are more to blame than anything else. If they had a roof to be under and a shitter to shit in, you wouldn't see any of this stuff, no matter how bitter you might be about actually helping people for free. OMG...
Come on, you cannot possibly believe this. You're saying these people NEED to shit in businessowners' doorways because there are no public toilets? No. Sorry, but fuck no. There is not a city I've been to - hell, probably not even Manhattan - that you cannot find a bush or tree out of the way to drop a steamer behind in an emergency. Shitting on someone's doorstep is deliberately provocative. These people either think it's funny or rebelious. They're not doing it out of desperation. And how would providing public restrooms be free?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
I'm a public librarian at a large downtown library, which I'm sure people are really tired of me saying every damned time this comes up. And you know what? I hate the fucking homeless people too.
What is it with homeless people and libraries? The downtown branch of the Phoenix library is crawling with them too. It's the only place I ever see homeless here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockswsandals View Post
The stunning lack of compassion expressed in this is really quite honestly mind-blowingly unbelievable. And I don't think I could possibly fill my previous statement with any more terms to assist in describing my utter dismay.
Lack of compassion is not wanting to help the acutely homeless who want to help themselves and need a leg up. I don't see anyone here taking that position. Bleeding heart dipshittery is blaming the businessowner when the homeless shit in his doorway. Some people do seem to be taking that position.

Frankly, if anything, I'm constantly surprised by the number of socialists and anti-capitalists on this board. Yeah, we're hurting at the moment (and believe me, I'm hurting badly), but our system has served us well.
#46
Old 10-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,419
I hate beggars. I realize that some of them may actaually need help, but I've had far too many people jump in my face and beg and refuse to take no for an answer. I'm sure some of them actually need help and I donate to charities set up to help them. But i refuse to give money to beggars...especially the ones that won't leave me alone.

I've probably told this story before somewhere on the boards.....in Amsterdam last spring with some friends. we were leaving, going to the train station for the long ride back to bavaria. My boss, our friend Becky and me. Well, a beggin' dude comes up to us and gets all in my grill asking for money. I told him no. My boss (We'll call him Bill for that is not his name) ignotrf him and kept walking. He's an older guy, but a former Marine and looks like it. So the begger wasn't going to challenge his Death Stare. He left Beck alone too, he focused directly on me.

He stayed in my face even though I kept walking and saying "sorry dude, I can't help you.". He kept up begging saying "Gimme some change! Gimme something Gimme something Gimme something!". (true words, too, he repeated "gimme something" like a prayer) I stopped the can't help you stuff and went directly into "Ok, you're pissing me off. Leave me alone."

Just then a couple of cops came around a corner. Beggin' Benny saw 'em and walked away. He stayed with us...at a respectable 15 or so feet away but he kept following. As soon as the cops were out of earshot he jumped directly back into my face and started the "Gimme Something" crap again. I lost it. i dropped my bags and started screaming "leave me alone, M Fer, or I'll kick your F'ing ass!"

Beck ran up to me, surprised to see me blow my stack like that. Bill stopped and turned around...he'd never seen me really angry. Beggin' Benny looks all confused and says "You're angry."

For some reason that mad beck crack up, even as I was yelling as the guy. He scampered off, but I was so pissed off it took me a half hour to calm down. So I really hate beggars, especially aggressive ones. For every dollar a might have given someone really in need, they make me take it back. I refuse to give anyone money on the street.
#47
Old 10-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 34,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
Frankly, if anything, I'm constantly surprised by the number of socialists and anti-capitalists on this board. Yeah, we're hurting at the moment (and believe me, I'm hurting badly), but our system has served us well.
This is not a recent slowdown; for many people, they have been feeling squeezed for the last eight years:
Quote:
The bigger problem is that the now-finished boom was, for most Americans, nothing of the sort. In 2000, at the end of the previous economic expansion, the median American family made about $61,000, according to the Census Bureau’s inflation-adjusted numbers. In 2007, in what looks to have been the final year of the most recent expansion, the median family, amazingly, seems to have made less — about $60,500.
We are not served well by a system that has been gamed so that incomes in the middle class are going down.
#48
Old 10-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 31,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
What is it with homeless people and libraries?
Free water, free bathrooms, and if they're from a nearby shelter it's likely they have to be out of the shelter during the day.
#49
Old 10-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 34,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBlather View Post
I
The crazies need to be forced to take their meds, the drunks need to sober up and the young people with their fucking dogs can go back to what ever city they hitchhiked here from.

Oh, and you church-based charities providing free food: go set up shop in the suburbs someplace rather than in the middle of the historic section of town. .
This is the United States where you also have the right to be crazy, as long as you are not dangerous. And, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes, that is a problem- chartities go where the homeless are, whcih bring in more homeless, which bring in more charities....
#50
Old 10-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cecil's basement
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBlather View Post
Someone shit in our store doorway - during the day - for the 4th time in 3 weeks!
Don't blame the homeless for that, it was me. My one-man revenge against thread shitters. Now who's next on my list?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: vickie eng p-32 stripper stage names white beard dye vc 21651 a apone quotes d-girl do pe yield on green beating akinator what causes diffraction security wire window sun bleaching clothes michael phelps teeth tossed the salad turn beard white steam location dermatology freeze spray why join mensa kevin cosgrove yellow guava pinging someone bset degree metric height homedepot tools no2 tanks milk flatulence fax digital line personal check template minesweeper 8 porn theatres sleep tie rash from underwear handicapped stall shick shadle calculus is useless how to keep raccoons away from garbage average horsepower of a horse neti pot water stuck phone number required for yahoo phil and claire modern family how many miles is it to go around the world old people sun glasses i feel your pain bill clinton how long for glyphosate to work los locos short circuit ny dmv return plates lose virginity to escort transferring sim cards between phones why are japanese porn censored codes and ciphers book crying after wisdom teeth removal can you talk after a tonsillectomy best body wash for hard water what does it mean to be bonded for a job repairing ps3 hdmi port where to buy leaded gas good excuse for no call no show songs that begin with k drinking mineral water kidney stones fan in window facing in or out why do black people's voices sound different emotionless person is called is 58 wpm good is invert sugar bad for you how to write a check for myself wrong zip code on letter