Old 12-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Proper Ratio Of Southern Comfort To Egg Nog

I have egg nog. Last week, I discovered I had a bottle of Southern Comfort. I'm told mixing them is tasty. I've tried it and had bad results. I suspect my ratio is off. What is the proper ratio of liquor to dairy?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:32 PM
For a recipe using 2 cups whole milk and 3 cups heavy cream:

1/2 cup bourbon
1/4 cup dark rum
1/4 cup Cognac
Old 12-07-2008, 08:49 PM
I pour about two fingers of bourbon then add the nog. I don't use Southern Comfort. Even if it's So Comfort brand egg nog. Try the bourbon with Luvel's nog. It's about as rich and heavenly as it gets. Throw a couple shakes of nutmeg and cinnamon in there. I throw an ice cube or two in there to thin it out.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't have bourbon.

I've got

Southern Comfort

Cutty Sark

Canadian Club

Majorsky vodka

Guayacura (licor de damiana)

Cherry Heering

some wedding wine

and

White zinfandel

Last edited by DocCathode; 12-07-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 PM
missed edit window.

I also have drambui.

I inherited all this booze from people who moved. I rarely drink and know nothing about alcohol. Though, even I know Majorsky is an inferior, shameful vodka.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Drambuie would probably go well with it. Not sure how much you should add, though.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Kahlua is wonderful in egg nog. You need to find some friends with Kahlua who are moving.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Cutty Sark or Canadian Club are both closer to bourbon than Southern Comfort. I mean, you are absolutely correct that neither is technically bourbon, but for the purposes of mixing it with eggnog for the traditional drink, the Canadian Club is going to be a fair equivalent.

EDIT: Drambuie is, IMHO, way too sweet to add to eggnog. But if that's your thing, go for it.

Last edited by Randy Seltzer; 12-07-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Seltzer View Post
Cutty Sark or Canadian Club are both closer to bourbon than Southern Comfort. I mean, you are absolutely correct that neither is technically bourbon
If I am correct, it is only by sheer luck. I'm not even sure what bourbon is. I just know I don't have a bottle that says "bourbon"
Old 12-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
I have egg nog. Last week, I discovered I had a bottle of Southern Comfort. I'm told mixing them is tasty. I've tried it and had bad results. I suspect my ratio is off. What is the proper ratio of liquor to dairy?
Step one: pour nog down drain.
Step two: drink alcohol.

enjoy!

Seriously, I never touch egg nog myself, but most of my friends who enjoy it would rather drink rum with it than just about any other liquor. None of the things on your list qualify, unfortunately...

thwartme
Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Bourbon is one of the four major types of whiskey:

Scotch
American
Canadian
Bourbon (named after Bourbon County, Kentucky)
Old 12-07-2008, 10:46 PM
I can't even imagine Southern Comfort with eggnog. Rum, bourbon or whisky, sure...but Southern Comfort? The first and only time I drank SC was when I was seventeen years old. It tasted like cough syrup and after one large gulp I barfed my guts out. Yeah, I was young and stupid, and tastes change.

Maybe I'll give it a try this season. I'll let you know if it stays down this time.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:59 PM
the correct ratio of SC to eggnog is 0:1

if you absolutely must ruin your eggnog with alcohol, stick to something creamy like kahlua (as mentioned), or if that's not an option, rum (as mentioned). anything else is sacrilege.

all this is moot, though, as eggnog is clearly made to be showered in, not drank.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Charter Member
Southern Comfort should only really be consumed with something lime or at least lemon-lime. To do otherwise is, as was mentioned above, basically like drinking cough syrup. I think you'll probably want to turn elsewhere to make your egg nog taste less disgusting.

(Ugh! Egg nog!)
Old 12-08-2008, 12:26 AM
I am not a big drinker either, and just learned more from Walloon's post than I'd ever previously known about whiskey. That said, Southern Comfort has been my choice to go with Egg Nog, on the recommendation of a colleague. A pint of the stuff lasted me about three holiday seasons.

As for proportions, I just made it up. A little Southern Comfort, a lot of Egg Nog - at least 3 to 1, maybe more. The alcohol should be more of a flavor than a dominant element. If it doesn't taste right, adjust. Or maybe you just don't like Southern Comfort for Egg Nog - obviously it's not for everyone.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:28 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
You don't have any booze, so stop worrying. Toss all that stuff that you have and go buy a bottle of Mount Gay Eclipse rum. Add a shot of this to a cup of egg nog and Feliz Navidad!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:32 PM
I like Southern Comfort in my eggnog, to the degree that I like eggnog at all. I use a 1 ounce shot of SC per glass of eggnog. I have no idea what the ration would be for a punchbowl full of eggnog, as I've never prepared it that way. I drink just about one glass of eggnog per Christmas season and that's all I ever want.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiblioCat View Post
Kahlua is wonderful in egg nog. You need to find some friends with Kahlua who are moving.
Mmmm... I bet it tastes a little like an eggnog latte, one of MY holiday favorites!
Old 12-08-2008, 04:55 PM
I had some last night mixed with Barenjager. Damn that was good, rather sweet, but yummy.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Cutty Sark or Canadian Club are both closer to bourbon than Southern Comfort. I mean, you are absolutely correct that neither is technically bourbon, but for the purposes of mixing it with eggnog for the traditional drink, the Canadian Club is going to be a fair equivalent.
Cutty Sark is in fact Scotch, so not only is it not technically bourbon, it's absolutely not bourbon.

Franky, I don't think Southern Comfort even qualifies as whiskey - it's a liqueur. It's gets its whiskey-like color from the same stuff as Coca-Cola: caramel color.

On preview, what silenus says! You don't have any booze, and you certainly don't have anything that belongs in eggnog. Mount Gay is the way to go.

Last edited by Labdad; 12-08-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdad View Post
Cutty Sark is in fact Scotch, so not only is it not technically bourbon, it's absolutely not bourbon.[...] You don't have any booze, and you certainly don't have anything that belongs in eggnog. Mount Gay is the way to go.
So you're suggesting that the OP (who does not drink whiskey) would be able to distinguish between Canadian Club and, say, Buffalo Trace, when said liquor is diluted 5:1 in eggnog?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Well, shut my mouth! What did I see when I went to the grocery store today, but cartons of Southern Comfort brand non-alcoholic eggnog! It comes in two flavors: traditional and vanilla spice.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
So you're suggesting that the OP (who does not drink whiskey) would be able to distinguish between Canadian Club and, say, Buffalo Trace, when said liquor is diluted 5:1 in eggnog?
Of course not. I'm saying the phrase "Cuttty is technically not bourbon" is the rough equivalent of saying a dog is technically not a duck. I'm also saying I'm pretty sure even one who does not drink liquor could distinguish between the taste of Scotch and the taste of Canadian Club, even in egg nog.

I think the OP, who says he has tried mixing Southern Comfort and egg nog and had bad results, needs to be aware there is a strong probability the reason for those bad results is, IMO, Southern Comfort Tastes terrible! I think Scotch in egg nog would taste pretty bad, too.

I DO agree that of all the things he inherited from people who moved, the Canadian Cub is probably the least objectionable thing to add to the egg nog.

But Mountgay Eclipse in egg nog is more than not objectionable. It's delicious.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubbleskag View Post
the correct ratio of SC to eggnog is 0:1
I was thinking the same thing, except I had my ratios reversed
Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Quote:
Yes, if for no other reason than that Buffalo Trace is nectar while Canadian Club tastes like ass.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
If I am correct, it is only by sheer luck. I'm not even sure what bourbon is. I just know I don't have a bottle that says "bourbon"
If you should wind up with a bottle that says "bourbon," you should stop drinking immediately.

Talking bottles, cans, or containers of any kind, really, are a sign that you have exceeded your limit.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Yes, if for no other reason than that Buffalo Trace is nectar while Canadian Club tastes like ass.
There's nothing wrong with Canadian Club, it's a wonderful mixer/house brand to be used in mixes.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
There is everything wrong with Canadian Club.

1. It's Canadian.

2. It tastes like ass.

3. It's Canadian.

Either drink real booze or stay sober.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:43 PM
You know what ass tastes like?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Again: I like Southern Comfort. It tasted good. One of my favorite drinks is a Southern Comfort Sour. I like Southern Comfort and OJ, too. And I would accept a shot of Southern Comfort -- the only kind of shot I drink. It tastes good.

And, while I said before that I will drink SC in my single yearly glass of eggnog, Ginger Brandy is better. If I have it, that's what I put in it. And Ginger Brandy is also very, very good in a Tom & Jerry (a holiday drink I much prefer to eggnog.