Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 PM
dramatic crescendo: what's it called?

Every so often I hear this particular cheesy sound effect. It's usually put in during sitcoms and the like after someone's just said something that amounts to a twist. You'd know it if you heard it: "DUN dun DUHHHH!" <--that one. Is there a name for it? When was it first used?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:10 PM
I think it's called a "sting" in the business. But I could be wrong.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Speaking of cheesy sounds, what is that seven-note tune that people often tap out when they're knocking on a door? I'm talking about the one that goes "da da da da-da....da DA!"
Old 12-11-2008, 10:05 PM
sfz (sforzando)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic...Sudden_changes

Last edited by lobotomyboy63; 12-11-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat In A Top Hat View Post
Every so often I hear this particular cheesy sound effect. It's usually put in during sitcoms and the like after someone's just said something that amounts to a twist. You'd know it if you heard it: "DUN dun DUHHHH!" <--that one. Is there a name for it? When was it first used?
It and a lot of similar music bits were done by this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch8 View Post
Speaking of cheesy sounds, what is that seven-note tune that people often tap out when they're knocking on a door? I'm talking about the one that goes "da da da da-da....da DA!"
This is Shave and a haircut...two bits!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat In A Top Hat View Post
Like this?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
Like this?
Kinda like that. More horns, tho'.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Classic use of the dramatic sting
Old 12-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Hope the OP doesn't mind me hijacking his/her thread but I want to know whether there's a name for what I call the "stripper tune". It's the tune they always play when an actress starts to strip (usually for comedic effect). It goes something like this, with horns and percussion...dah DAH, Dun Dun, dah DAH, Dun Dun.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Charter Member
The Stripper by David Rose?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:46 AM
I believe the OP is referring to "Shock Horror (a)" by somebody called Dick Walter.

http://mediafire.com/?sharekey=8...db6fb9a8902bda

From an album of stock musical cues:
http://www2.playkpmmusic.com/pages/v...cfm?cdnum=1905
Old 12-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximenean View Post
I believe the OP is referring to "Shock Horror (a)" by somebody called Dick Walter.

http://mediafire.com/?sharekey=8...db6fb9a8902bda

From an album of stock musical cues:
http://www2.playkpmmusic.com/pages/v...cfm?cdnum=1905
that's it!
you Rock, sir and/or ma'am
Old 12-14-2008, 06:42 PM
I've been wondering the same thing as the OP. Thanks, Ximenean!
Old 12-14-2008, 07:30 PM
I still wonder if Mr Walter actually composed that little motif, or merely arranged a familiar musical cliché, a bit like that "Kung Fu Fighting" motif discussed in a memorable thread. Does/did he or the rights owners get paid every single time it's used?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximenean View Post
I still wonder if Mr Walter actually composed that little motif, or merely arranged a familiar musical cliché, a bit like that "Kung Fu Fighting" motif discussed in a memorable thread. Does/did he or the rights owners get paid every single time it's used?
He did indeed compose it and indeed gets royalties- that's the whole point of stock music (well, that and to provide a source of music for media that doesn't require licensing outside music or composing your own). In the United States, KPM cues are distributed through Associated Production Music. Although APM offers practically any type of music imaginable, they're probably best known for their archival cues (mostly KPM) which are often used in an ironic fashion in shows such as Ren & Stimpy, SpongeBob Squarepants, The Daily Show, and countless commercials- including Walter's now-iconic three-note sting.