Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Leatherman versus Swiss Army Knife

My trusty pocket knife broke after 20 years. They don't make it anymore, so I've been researching and buying knives and such for the last few months. I've become obsessed. My reviews and research have brought up the concept of EDC, or Every Day Carry. EDC are the things you carry with you every day. I've revised my carry carry kits, first aid kits, and basically got my act together and overhauled my stuff, so that I'm prepared.

My research has suggested that it's always a good idea to have a flashlight (key chain led light does the job,) a good quality fast deployable single blade pocket knife (http://amazon.com/Benchmade-940-...3796236&sr=8-1) (it weighs in at about 3 ounces so very easy to carry) and a multitool on you at all times.

The best multitool for doing hard work is this:

http://amazon.com/Leatherman-830...3796315&sr=1-2

However, like all full size leatherman, it's a bit of a beast. I have it and I love it, but I keep it in my desk drawer. It's not really pocketable. A tool is only useful if you have it with you.

So. Leatherman makes a series of tools called the Juice. I have this one:

http://amazon.com/Leatherman-781...3796582&sr=1-1

It's pocketable and carryable, has good pliers. None of the tools lock, but that's ok. It's not for heavy work, it's for EDC so that I have something on me when I need it.

Then there is also the Swiss Army Knives, or SAK.

For barely slightly smaller than the Juice I have this:

http://amazon.com/Victorinox-Swi...3796786&sr=1-1

For barely slightly larger I have than the Juice I have this:

http://amazon.com/Victorinox-Swi...3796860&sr=1-3

The difference between these last two are the pliers. The latter has a set of very small, although reasonably serviceable pliers, the former does not. The pliers are nowhere near as good as those on the Juice. However, the SAK has a lot more going for it in terms of tools. Real Phillips screwdriver, needle, tweezers, toothpick, magnifying glass, better scissors. In fact, the SAK is better all around in terms of tool selection and versatility. The Leatherman tools on the juice are basically equivalent to the quality on the SAK. The SAK has a much wider selection.

So, what it comes down to is the pliers and the design. If pliers are all important, you gotta go with the Leatherman. The butterfly design gives you a much bigger usable grip, and these are basically real pliers with excellent utility. If pliers are not important you go with the SAK for the versatility. But, do you completely dispense with the pliers and use the Champ Plus, and save a little size and weight, or do you go with the regular Champ and get a pair of pliers that have limited usability in a pinch (no pun intended?)

I'm torn. I keep pliers in my cars, and in my desk at home (but not work.) Pliers are pretty damn useful but most of the time if I'm doing something serious I'll use a socket set or the right sized wrench. You can strip the hell out of things with pliers, so maybe the really small ones on the SAK are all I need.

Now I've said that the tools quality is equivalent, but that's not strictly true. The knives on the Leatherman are better than those on the SAK, but then, if I'm also carrying a dedicated pocket knife, who cares?

Marines like Leatherman, but Magyver uses an SAK.

Yes, I'm obsessing, but which do you think is the better choice and why?

Last edited by Scylla; 02-04-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:46 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
What's wrong with both? I own every Juice model ever made, and love them. They are my "dress" multitools. But I also carry a SAK in my pack, and have both in my truck and desk. But in truth, the one on my belt every weekend is a Gerber.

Aren't options a bitch sometimes?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
What's wrong with both? I own every Juice model ever made, and love them. They are my "dress" multitools. But I also carry a SAK in my pack, and have both in my truck and desk. But in truth, the one on my belt every weekend is a Gerber.

Aren't options a bitch sometimes?
The Gerber's nice, but I don't think it can compare to the Charge TTI. Why I don't carry both is that weight is always an issue. You can only reasonably have so much shit in your pockets.

The SAK covers every base nicely with a minimum of weight. Except for the whole plier issue. I think if I could figure that out, I'd be golden.

I've been carrying the Juice XE6 for about a month. So far I haven't use the pliers because every time I was doing something that needed pliers or a wrench I was at a place where I was able to use full size pliers or a wrench.

I think I'll carry the SAK Champ with wrench for a while and see how that goes.

BTW, you really can't beat the Benchmade for and EDC choice, I've also got Bucks, SOGS and a Cold Steel Ti lite, but the 940 kicks ass.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
The Gerber's nice, but I don't think it can compare to the Charge TTI.
Of course it can't. But I can carry the Gerber all day and not have my pants sag on that side, or look really silly in the coaches lounge at a debate tournament. Because I am at school or with students most of the day, I am precluded from carrying a dedicated knife. A multitool I can get away with. A basic blade, no way.

Last edited by silenus; 02-04-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I have a Leatherman Micra on my keychain right now- nice and small but still quite useful. Hubby got it for me- it's much more handy than the miniature Swiss Army knife on my other set of keys- the SA just has small scissors, one blade, a toothpick and a file. The Leatherman does stuff...
Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Ditto. I have both a Micra and a Fenix EO1 on the keyring. Don't leave the house without them.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
I have had a Swisstool on me (generally in my front-left coverall pocket) for over 10 years and I would not consider being without it. It has several blades, a full tool-set, everything on it is a "lockblade"and it's solid stainless steel.

Unclviny
Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Charter Member
I really, really like Victorinox Swiss Army knives for every day carry. They are small enough even to go into dress pants and you can put together furniture or replace a car battery with one (I have done both). They aren't that expensive especially for the quality and I tend to lose mine and then go straight back to the sporting goods store and try out new models. I find my old ones later so I have several. I think my current model is something like a Tinker and I have never broken a part on one. I have a couple of Leathermans as well and I can't dispute their quality but they just don't sit as smooth and nicely in your pocket as well as a SAK.

It is funny that you should mention the pliers. Yesterday, at work, I didn't realize what I was doing and stuck a fancy pen into my left ear. When I pulled it out, the spring and the broad plastic tip were missing and it was quite uncomfortable. I didn't want to sit 5 hours in the emergency room so I had two coworkers look into my left ear canal and they saw nothing. I remembered the small pliers on my SAK and tried to talk someone into doing surgery on my ear and everyone refused because they didn't want to rupture my ear drum. I had to take matters into my own hands. I had the spring out within 2 minutes and the large plastic tip out about 10 minutes later. There was no damage. Thank god for those SAK pliers.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Obviously, the needs of someone living in the woods for 6 months are different than the needs of someone living in town, but FWIW I hiked for 2000 miles carrying a Leatherman Micra and was never at a loss. If I was doing it again, I might think about a bigger main blade. But a Leatherman is slightly lighter than a SAK of equivalent size, and slightly easier to keep clean IMO.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:30 PM
BANNED
How about a leatherman, a swiss army knife, a machete, a skinner, and a camp knife. That's what you want, really
Old 02-04-2009, 11:34 PM
And Les Stroud, who will build me a village with them, then rustle up some fire to cook dinner...

Old 02-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknew View Post
How about a leatherman, a swiss army knife, a machete, a skinner, and a camp knife. That's what you want, really
nah, just have a shirka and a bushman follow you around everywhere

ETA: Er, to make this post have a point.... I carry a swiss army knife, always have, thought about changing to leatherman specifically for the pliers, but, well, haven't found enough of a point (only time I've ever needed pliers when I was out and about was after I got hit by a car on my bike and I had to fix some dealy on the chain, which was entirely encased. instead I called my work and told them I'd be late, and borrowed some pliers when I got there) to spend the money on a new multitool (I don't call them "knives" because I live in Japan and you can't carry a knife here, but no one's bothered me about my SAK yet)

Last edited by PopeJewish; 02-04-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:58 PM
I've had a Victorinox Explorer for quite a while, and wouldn't be without it. I use it every day, often multiple times, and find it hard to understand how anyone gets through life without one.

I carried a Leatherman tool for a while, principally due to the theoretical appeal of having pliers. But I found I rarely used them, and the tool seemed a bit too large and heavy. So it now sits in a drawer, while my SAK goes out every day.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:36 AM
[QUOTE=Shagnasty;10786130
It is funny that you should mention the pliers. Yesterday, at work, I didn't realize what I was doing and stuck a fancy pen into my left ear. When I pulled it out, the spring and the broad plastic tip were missing and it was quite uncomfortable. I didn't want to sit 5 hours in the emergency room so I had two coworkers look into my left ear canal and they saw nothing. I remembered the small pliers on my SAK and tried to talk someone into doing surgery on my ear and everyone refused because they didn't want to rupture my ear drum. I had to take matters into my own hands. I had the spring out within 2 minutes and the large plastic tip out about 10 minutes later. There was no damage. Thank god for those SAK pliers.[/QUOTE]

No offence intended, and I really mean it*, but most of this post, the "how I got a pen stuck in my ear" part, kind of undermines your authority as someone from whom we ought to solicit advice.

I'm very minimalist with respect to what I'll carry: thin wallet, damn pager, keyring with leatherman micra.

*In that I once set my testicles on fire while working in a laboratory, so, like, I'm not saying I wouldn't have done the exact same thing, and in fact, I'm somewhat surprised that I haven't, but rather that it is an atypical anecdote to offer up to support a choice of multi-tool.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack from the 3rd dimension View Post

*In that I once set my testicles on fire while working in a laboratory
Accidentally or on purpose?
Old 02-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbutler View Post
Accidentally or on purpose?
Accidentally. I can start a MPSIMS thread if you'd like.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Charter Member
Quoth silenus:
Quote:
What's wrong with both?
Or all three, for that matter. My everyday carry includes a Wenger SAK in my right pants pocket, a generic Leatherman-type generic utility tool in a belt holster on the left, and a utility pen (tweezers, Xacto blades, jeweler's screwdrivers, etc.) in my breast pocket. I find that I use something or other on one of them every day or so, and seldom does a week go by that I don't find some use for each of them that neither of the other two could do as well. I take pride in the fact that whenever anyone asks "Hey, does anyone have a...", I can answer "yes", without waiting for them to finish their sentence .

Incidentally, Shagnasty, one of the tools on my pen is called an "ear pick". I've always been afraid to find out what it's for... But I think you might have just solved that mystery for me.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 AM
I went through the same decision making process. Here is what I wound up getting. Leatherman Squirt P-4

Pliers are quite strong and functional for small jobs.

This multi-tool is smaller than the larger Leatherman's and more precisely built. Victorinox Swiss Spirit

Last edited by astro; 02-05-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Here's the whole sordid tale

Oh, and I have a squirt, not a micra. sorry

Last edited by Attack from the 3rd dimension; 02-05-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:08 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Swiss Army Cybertool 41? I'm looking for a travel tool, and this seemed to be a lighter and more ergonomic alternative to the Leatherman.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:56 AM
All of the tools on the SAK are better than those on a Leatherman, with the exception of the pliers. SAKs are lighter than the Leatherman, as an added benefit.

Buy a Victorinox, and toss an extra pair of pliers in a few useful places. You'll be much happier.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:22 AM
I have 3 Leatherman Waves. I keep one in my computer bag on one in each vehicle. I'm constantly amazed at how often I use them. It's a wonderful tool.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:43 AM
I've owned a Vic Swiss Champ since 89 or so. Used it a lot, bent the knife and saw blades, lost the plier & scissor springs, broke the eyeglass-screwdriver "handle" and never had any use for the plastic toothpick, the tiny magnifying glass, the awkward-to-handle ball-point pen which eventually dried up, the fish-scaling tool etc. In '96( I think) I got a Leatherman Supertool, and found it superior to the top-of-the-line SAK in every respect. With the latter, it always felt I had a toy in hand when any real work (whittling / cutting wood, bending / breaking metal wire etc.) was at hand. The Leatherman felt like a real, usable tool. The knives, the saw, the screwdrivers and especially the files and the pliers, are functional, where the SAK's respective blades feel gimmicky and pretty-over-substance, mostly due to simple size / thickness difference. You can't do any real reduction work with 1 mm thick, bendy, extra-fine-toothed file with app. two inches of functional length, for instance.

Hauling the holster-less Swiss Champ (not a lightweight model) in my pant pocket is in no way less troublesome than carrying the SAK in it's unobtrusive leather belt holster. Even opening the blades is much easier on the Supertool as opposed to the Vic. I feel multi-purpose-tool evolution has gone way beyond what the archaic SAK can offer - and I've no experience on the Leatherman models of the the last ten years!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:34 AM
I forgot- I also have something I call my "swiss army credit card" in my purse. It has no brand name, but it has about 8 handy tools like a SAK, only it's, well, a thick credit card! I love it ad the TSA never even glances at it...
Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJsGirl View Post
I forgot- I also have something I call my "swiss army credit card" in my purse. It has no brand name, but it has about 8 handy tools like a SAK, only it's, well, a thick credit card! I love it and the TSA never even glances at it...
One of these days they'll notice the size of the blade in that thing and then you see a reaction! I have one of those in the truck. It used to reside in my shaving kit until TSA took over.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:38 AM
The Swisstools are some ruggedly made multi-tools. I have the rs (rescue) model. This thing makes the couple Leatherman tools I have laying around seem rather weedy and malnourished. Only drawback to the Swisstools is that they are a little spendy.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Cybertool

[QUOTE=Omi no Kami;10786574]Does anyone have any experience with the Swiss Army Cybertool 41?QUOTE]

Yep I use it everyday. I can work on every computer out there with it and its nice to have scissors and small pliers. Get the extra bits tho, i tend to lose mine.
I have been trying a leatherman charge ti lately. very well made and I like the pliers.
BUT its a heck of a lot heavier and I havent needed the larger pliers since I got it. Tends to be nice in the garden or shop and the knife is very very nice. Lockable everything. Im like the OP I cant make up my mind so all my knifes get a chance to come out to play in rotation. BTW my everyday carry knife is a benchmade pocket clip with ATS 34 steel. nice!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Charter Member
For messing around with sailboats, the Leatherman wins. The pliers come in handy all the time for fiddling with cotter pins and other recalcitrant bits of rigging.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Anyone used the Leatherman Skeletool? My SAK has just about given up the ghost, and I was thinking of moving to a Leatherman for the number of times I wished I had pliers and a bit driver on me. I like the look and size of this guy, but I'm a bit worried that no one's mentioned it yet.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:15 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
My lawyer carries a Skeletool with him most of the time. He really likes it. Uses it constantly, from what I've observed. Of course, he's a big outdoors person. Not all that many needs for it around the office.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Whoops...totally misread the thread title. Thought I was going to see video of Dave getting stabbed.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:55 PM
I camp at least once a month, and for outdoor-related things, my trusty Swiss Army knife does everything I need it to do. I have some multi-tools, but I don't even take them anymore on outings - they are bulky and the knife is weird.

"You might as well give your son a ticket to hell as give him a 5-string banjo"
Old 02-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSexton View Post
Anyone used the Leatherman Skeletool.
Not yet, but I will just as soon as I go buy one. That thing is fricking sweet.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:40 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Tell the truth...it was the bottle opener that sealed the deal, wasn't it?
Old 02-05-2009, 11:58 PM
I have the Leatherman Wave and its always near me. Last night at work I took apart a front wheel of a wheelchair, scraped out a ton of gunk and hair that had gotten wrapped up into it (a smell that was like no other), scrubbed it clean with a disinfectant rinse and a dab of WD40 and put it back together. All in about 15 minutes.

The same problem had happened with the other wheel a couple months before (sticking, not moving as easily as the other side causing problems) and it was sent to be fixed by the in house fix it guys.

They ordered a new wheel and had the resident use a replacement chair (a real piece of crap) for two weeks.

Total cost? Roughly, IIRC, some fifty bucks for the wheel that was airmailed in and god knows how much labor cost billed to our department.. Plus the annoyance to the resident of a piece of crap chair for a couple weeks.

I did it all in about fifteen minutes and told my boss if it ever came up again to just let me know.

Last edited by clayton_e; 02-05-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:12 AM
I have a Leatherman which was given to me as a gift, and I have heard many sing its praises, but I find it notably inferior to my Swiss Army Knife (at least for my purposes) for two reasons - first, it's more unwieldy due to the need to "open it up" every time before using it, which only reveals the pliers. You still need to pull out any of the accessories after that. Pliers are absent on the SAK so if you're the kind of person who often needs pliers on the go, that might be a plus, but for me whenever I have a task that necessitates pliers I am usually near my toolset and it's not an issue.

Second, the Leatherman doesn't have any damn scissors. I do use the small spring-loaded scissors often (in fact I probably use that more than anything next to the basic blade). Maybe there are models of Leathermen that do carry them, but the one I have doesn't, and I hate it.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:53 AM
Rigamarole, the wave is my favorite after owning a couple of the originals because of the exterior opening blades. Both serrated and straight. The serrated is great for a quick rough cut through something and the flat is great for either picking at something in a small spot or carving something away. There's also a mini saw on the outside that I find handy from time to time (though while in the woods I have a small fold out saw that is several times the size of that one on me too and is far more useful).
Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
The Swisstools are some ruggedly made multi-tools. snip... Only drawback to the Swisstools is that they are a little spendy.
I was in the store looking for a Leatherman type thing when the salesman showed me the Swisstool http://swissarmy.com/MultiTools/...product=53905&

I got it cheap because they did not sell, he told me they were "too big" but that's what I like about it. The small ones "swim around" in my giant hands!

I have tortured mine unbelievably (I'm an oilfield service hand) and other than the painted label coming off it's no worse for the wear over 10 years later.

Unclviny
Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
I have a Leatherman which was given to me as a gift, and I have heard many sing its praises, but I find it notably inferior to my Swiss Army Knife (at least for my purposes) for two reasons - first, it's more unwieldy due to the need to "open it up" every time before using it, which only reveals the pliers. You still need to pull out any of the accessories after that. Pliers are absent on the SAK so if you're the kind of person who often needs pliers on the go, that might be a plus, but for me whenever I have a task that necessitates pliers I am usually near my toolset and it's not an issue.

Second, the Leatherman doesn't have any damn scissors. I do use the small spring-loaded scissors often (in fact I probably use that more than anything next to the basic blade). Maybe there are models of Leathermen that do carry them, but the one I have doesn't, and I hate it.
That's what I like some much about the Leatherman Wave - the scissors. I find the scissors extremely useful, and wouldn't buy a tool without them.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Tell the truth...it was the bottle opener that sealed the deal, wasn't it?
Actually no. I never need a bottle opener as I possess the ninja like ability to open bottles with a Bic lighter or the handle of my pocket knife, both of which I always have on me. I just think that thing looks great, and it was really the pocket driver and associated bits that peaked my interest.

Well that and a man can never own too many pocket tools. I wish that they made one with a punch set on it so I could have a Leatherman that doubled as a Glock smithing tool.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
That's what I like some much about the Leatherman Wave - the scissors. I find the scissors extremely useful, and wouldn't buy a tool without them.
I knit and crochet, and good scissors come in handy. My mini keychain SAK scissors just aren't strong enough compared to my Micra.

Of course, it looks pretty hard core to be cutting fringe for a scarf with a Leatherman!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:00 PM
What's the point in these things that have knives without a point?

I need pliers that work, good strong knife blade, scissors that will actually cut something, Philips and common screw driver, all else I seldom need. I have a drawer full of SAK's and Leatherman & knockoffs of each. Found a little double fold thing one time that is SS and leatherman style but folds out to where I can put some grip into it. About 2.7 inches long all closed up and I can carry my brass short tire gauge and a small SAK with tweezers, pick. All I need 98% of the time. Everywhere else, I have a tool bag - box - drawer within reach.

I'm looking for a leather 'Jack Bauer' bag now.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I have far more use for scissors day-to-day than I have for pliers, so I carried a Leatherman Micra around for years until they came out with the Squirt S4, which I found superior because a) you don't have to open the scissors to use the other tools and b) it has usable tweezers. The only drawback is that for some reason they decided it needed a colored finish instead of the bare steel of the Micra, resulting in a chipped-paint look as it rubs against the other stuff on my keyring.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Charter Member
I have used this Swiss Army multitool: Swisstool from friend unclviny's link

I am now using a Leatherman Charge

The knife blade on my Charge holds a much better edge for quite a bit longer that the Swisstool
Old 02-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I never leave home without my Leatherman Kick
Old 02-06-2009, 07:32 PM
I carry both a Victorinox and a Micra, at it is great to find that I'm not such a freak to carry both. The Micra, which I got as a conference gift, is great as a small screwdriver and as a nail clipper. I've had it for 12 years and it is as good as new.

BTW, if you ever visit Portland the Leatherman factory gives tours. Reserve in advance and don't wear sandals or open-toed shoes. The factory is not far from the airport, and the tour is well worth the time. They have a nice little store also.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusNSpot View Post

I'm looking for a leather 'Jack Bauer' bag now.
My brother is an English professor. One of his students went to work on 24. He sent my brother two of the canvas messenger bags (actual props) that Jack used in Season 3.

I have one.

Leather? Who needs leather?
Old 02-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Charter Member
I own a few multis;
Victorinox Swisschamp
Vic Champ (the predecessor to the Swisschamp)
Vic Cybertool 32
Vic Swisstool
Vic Swisstool Spirit
Gerber 600
Leatherman Micra
Leatherman Surge

Which one rides with me every day?

the Surge, sure it's big and meaty, but I like a good solid multitool, plus the tool loadout is perfect for me, I love the outside-opening blades, and scissors, I haven't really used the diamond-dust file all that much, but I find it more useful than the saw, plus, it's got the pointiest needle-nose pliers of the bunch, I can get the Surge into smaller places better than even the svelte little Vic Spirit, and it's got the backbone for the really tough jobs

I don't baby it either, I've dropped it numerous times, one time it sat for a week outside in a rocksalt laden snowdrift, no rust, I use the scissors to prune my cherry tomato plants in the Aerogarden, and just wipe off the scissors when done, sure the scissors pick up a little surface corrosion from the acidic tomato plant branches, but a quick Flitzing and it's gone, the blades stay razor-sharp on my Sharpmaker, and the interchangable bits are just too convenient, especially after I made my own full-size bit adapter

Last edited by MacTech; 02-06-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:24 PM
I've got a Leatherman Micra as a keychain, and I love it- it's small enough to be an effective keychain, it's sturdy enough to have survived my childhood and the abuses it got then, and it has most of the tools I need on a daily basis (screwdriver, scissors, knife, tweezers, bottle opener). I'll never replace it, or at least I won't pay money to replace it if I lose it. I really dislike those little red Victorinox SAKs- they always feel cheap and light to me.

That said, I do occasionally miss the needle-nose pliers, and ever more occasionally, I miss the corkscrew. Opening a bottle of wine can only be done so many ways, you know? When you're reduced to driving a drywall screw into the cork and using a claw hammer to pull the cork it, it kinda kills the mood.