Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Dryer sheets and towels - yes or no?

Please help settle a question we've got going here - when drying a load of towels, is it somehow bad for them to put a dryer sheet in with them? What's the straight dope?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Supposedly the waxes in the dryer sheets makes the towels less absorbent. So you can choose between fluffy and less absorbent or stiff and absorbent.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Supposedly the waxes in the dryer sheets makes the towels less absorbent. So you can choose between fluffy and less absorbent or stiff and absorbent.
Agree completely. I tried it a couple of times and was not happy with the end results. Less absorbent, but they did smell good and were soft!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Same reasoning my mom has for not using fabric softener on them either.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:52 AM
Fabric softener sheets leave a waxy feel to the surface of my jeans; why would I want that on my towels?
Old 02-14-2009, 04:15 AM
Towels, cloth diapers, cleaning rags, and anything else you want to be absorbant will work best if washed without fabric softener of any kind.

If you think the result isn't fluffy enough, try putting vinegar in the final rinse water the same way you'd use liquid fabric softener.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Charter Member
the wax in dryer sheets is why they're not recommended for use with baby clothes, adult pyjamas or dressing gowns - they undercut the effect of the fire retardants that are built into those types of clothing and increase a risk of burns. I remember reading about one lady who was badly burned when her terrytowel bathrobe caught on fire when she was cooking - the repeated use of dryer sheets led to a wax build-up on the robe.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Awright, I know when I'm licked. Henceforth, I shall separate the towels from the other whites so I can use a dryer sheet on my smalls without affecting the towels. Many thanks, y'all.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:13 PM
I read somewhere that fabric softener sheets aren't good for the dryer. They cause a buildup on the lint filter. Will have to poke around and see if I can find a cite.

ETA: Well that didn't take long.
http://truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/dryer-sheets.htm

There appears to be some truth to this one, although not all dryer sheets are the same.

We did some checking and found several manufacturers of clothes dryers who discouraged using dryer sheets.

The owners manuals for Eurotech brand tumble dryers say "We recommend using a liquid fabric softener in the washer's rinse cycle. We do not recommend using fabric softener sheets in the dryer. Over time, the chemicals on these sheets can build up inside the lint filter and clog the holes that circulate the air."

Last edited by lobotomyboy63; 02-14-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Charter Member
Just to chime in with a dissenting opinion, I've found that a single sheet in a load will add just enough softness to avoid that miserable static cling without affecting absorbency.

I've heard, though, that you should wash and dry every fifth load or so without any kind of softener to avoid a potential wax buildup.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Just to chime in with a dissenting opinion, I've found that a single sheet in a load will add just enough softness to avoid that miserable static cling without affecting absorbency.

I've heard, though, that you should wash and dry every fifth load or so without any kind of softener to avoid a potential wax buildup.
I read somewhere as well that you can rinse out the lint screen periodically and let it air dry.