Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 06-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 31,112
Ways to equalize ear pressure.

I recently got over a cold and my ears keep having that "just about to pop" feeling. I know it will go away but it's making me crazy. Help! I have tried yawning, gum, and that thing where you hold your nose shut and blow air as hard as you can to try to attempt it. I don't like this last one very much as it begins to hurt and I am afraid of injuring myself. Anything else?
#2
Old 06-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: The Empire State
Posts: 6,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
I recently got over a cold and my ears keep having that "just about to pop" feeling. I know it will go away but it's making me crazy. Help! I have tried yawning, gum, and that thing where you hold your nose shut and blow air as hard as you can to try to attempt it. I don't like this last one very much as it begins to hurt and I am afraid of injuring myself. Anything else?
Have you tried the holding your nose shut and blowing while you are in a hot, steamy shower? The steam opens things up as much as possible, and then sometimes the blowing air gets through when it didn't otherwise.

Now that meth addicts have ruined pseudoephedrine for the rest of us, over the counter medications aren't as effective for blocked ears as they used to be. But prescription steroid nasal sprays are even better, like Rhinocort.
#3
Old 06-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 9,853
Jut your lower jaw forward, and then move it side to side. It stretches the openings of the Eustachian tubes in different directions, so it can be more effective than yawning.

Oh, and don't blow as hard as you can when you're doing the holding your nose thing (the Valsalva method). You can rupture an eardrum, or force infected mucus into the Eustachian tubes. You will regret either of those. Blow gently.
#4
Old 06-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 31,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Jut your lower jaw forward, and then move it side to side. It stretches the openings of the Eustachian tubes in different directions, so it can be more effective than yawning.

Oh, and don't blow as hard as you can when you're doing the holding your nose thing (the Valsalva method). You can rupture an eardrum, or force infected mucus into the Eustachian tubes. You will regret either of those. Blow gently.
Yeah that's what I am afraid of.
I tried your first method and it actually helped a little. Not completely, but I felt it "relieve" a little. Thanks.

I don't take pseudoephedrine or actually any cold medicine. I figure my body can just get better on its own, it's just a cold.

Last edited by Anaamika; 06-22-2009 at 03:43 PM.
#5
Old 06-22-2009, 03:53 PM
tdn tdn is offline
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 35,871
Yawning always works for me, unless I have a cold. In fact, I have a book called The Skin Diver's Bible which states that you should never go diving while you have a cold, lest you rupture an eardrum.
#6
Old 06-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Mini Soda
Posts: 5,531
Do you have a Neti pot? Using one always equalizes my ears as well.
#7
Old 06-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 5,051
Yeah, I was thinking a Neti pot might help.

Actually I can voluntarily "click" my ears to release the pressure. But I can't offer instructions much more helpful than, "Flex that muscle in your ear that makes it click." It's the same thing that happens right at the end of a big yawn, involuntarily, but I can make myself do it any time.
#8
Old 06-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 31,112
Neti pots horrify me. I know, I am silly and squeamish. I can deal with a lot of stuff but snot is one of the ways I am reminded that I can be just as girly as the next person.

Snot horrifies me. YUCK PTOOEY.
#9
Old 06-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 33,993
Real Sudafed,the kind you have to buy at the druggists counter. Take two then try usual tricks.
__________________
I am not a real Doctor
#10
Old 06-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 11,052
I find that large amounts of wasabi clear me up rather well. Sushi is often on the menu during allergy season.
#11
Old 06-23-2009, 03:49 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: the far side
Posts: 729
The concept of the Neti pot is fine -- I'm OK with snot -- but be warned that it is a bizarre and, to me, extremely unpleasant sensation to have your nasal passages filled with water. I use one semi-regularly for allergies, and my face still flushes and my eyes still tear up involuntarily from the discomfort. It is only less painful if you get the right proportions of solute to water and make the water the right temperature. YMMV.

Get better, colds are no fun!
#12
Old 06-23-2009, 04:15 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Spiral Politic
Posts: 1,344
I found that the Otovent system helps. It's basically a ballon with an attachment that allows you to inflate it form your nostril. Helped when I had glue ear.

http://chemistdirect.co.uk/otove...t_1_31594.html

For the record I am not involved in selling or producing, in any way, this product.
#13
Old 06-23-2009, 05:45 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 25,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
I don't take pseudoephedrine or actually any cold medicine. I figure my body can just get better on its own, it's just a cold.
True, Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) doesn't make you get better any faster, but it certainly can help relieve the symptoms, which from the sound of it is what you want. Other than that, a neti pot or time is all I can recommend here.
#14
Old 06-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 5,391
Go swimming. I've recently started swimming again (trying to get back into shape, of course), and I've noticed that nothing beats swimming for clearing me right out. It's also true that I probably don't breathe correctly when I swim, too (I pretty much exclusively breath out of my mouth swimming; I believe that one's supposed to breathe out of one's nose as well), so that might be why it clears me out so well.
#15
Old 06-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: San Francisco, NL West.
Posts: 8,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetech View Post
I use one semi-regularly for allergies, and my face still flushes and my eyes still tear up involuntarily from the discomfort. It is only less painful if you get the right proportions of solute to water and make the water the right temperature. YMMV.
It shouldn't be painful. Try changing the angle of your head. Water temperature can be tricky, but you can buy premixed packets of the solution at Walgreens, among other places.
#16
Old 06-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 5,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetech View Post
The concept of the Neti pot is fine -- I'm OK with snot -- but be warned that it is a bizarre and, to me, extremely unpleasant sensation to have your nasal passages filled with water. I use one semi-regularly for allergies, and my face still flushes and my eyes still tear up involuntarily from the discomfort. It is only less painful if you get the right proportions of solute to water and make the water the right temperature. YMMV.
I agree, it shouldn't hurt. I've had that sensation of jumping into the pool and getting an involuntary sinus lavage, but I believe it was from tilting the pot too much, causing the water not to run gently in, but to blast into my nasal passages like a burst dam. Try tilting ever so slightly, and waiting for a while before tilting more - it can take a minute or two for the sinuses to fill and spill out the other side.
#17
Old 06-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 10,482
Blowing and holding the nose forces congestion into the ear and prolongs the congested ear effects.
#18
Old 06-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 301
Hold your nose and blow. Probably not the healthiest idea but I know it saved me one time when I was flying into New Orleans. See a doc? All the best.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: christopher nance weatherman flatten paper fill dirt definition curtains over doorway spoiler board live journals auction arms.com captain jack mccarthy basement bathroom ventilation retarded looking people vr signature tilapia flavor gc constant greek sexually cat bread loaf knife handle oil pizza well done thor asgardians julia child's voice cheetah lion hybrid furnace permit sex shops dc parachute height jpg rotate worlds longest piss conditional threat refund amazon video least favorite super glue ingestion thumb nose corvids as pets abe simpson quotes kitten stinky poop sword break where to buy lifestyles snugger fit negative i am a meat popsicle fonts used in the 1960s pergo outlast plus review does red meat stay in your colon is my neighbor a criminal united states outlying islands difference between asian and oriental apple wireless keyboard batteries stuck how to change a tie rod what does aw snap mean how long is a horse cock where are diablo 2 save files how to rack the pool balls why is catcher in the rye a classic diarrhea every 10 mins cars with gear shift on steering column distance santa fe to albuquerque why are pills white removing rusted toilet seat bolts burn still hurts after hours how to dispose of hamburger grease short sleeve shirt with bowtie lithium carbonate recreational use battery for honda civic key like button on youtube can humans eat bird seed can you vent a bathroom exhaust fan into the attic king cobra not a true cobra lucille ball was a bitch is there a substitute for nutmeg night gallery best episodes what does raid do to insects drive off with gas pump am radio antenna home made will my car be totaled if the airbags deployed