Old 07-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Font nerds! I saw this sexy sans serif...

I was half-watching "Mrs. Pettigrew Lives for a Day" with the wife, but during the closing credits I was struck by the font they were using. It's got a 30s Helvetica vibe to it, appropriate to the movie, with a crossed-Vs capital W. Its most distinctive letter was the capital J, which is simply a straight line extending below the baseline.

I tried the "quiz" at Identifont, but no luck there. Anybody seen a similar font out there, with the straight capital J?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywaffle View Post
It's got a 30s Helvetica vibe to it....
Helvetica was invented in 1957, you barbarian.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Heh. Touché.

Rephrased:
"It's got a 30s vibe, and reminds me somewhat of Helvetica."

Or skip the Helvetica altogether. Straight capital J! Crossed capital W!
Old 07-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Absolutely straight? Terminates at or below the baseline?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:08 PM
It terminates below the baseline.

It was either absolutely straight or had such a slight curve that my 42" HDTV couldn't draw it.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Charter Member
The titles were designed by Nic Benns, of Momoco UK; contact information and a clip of the titles are on their website: http://momoco.co.uk/

I'd guess he designed or selected the font, and Momoco might be willing or able to direct you to it or a publicly available equivalent.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nametag View Post
The titles were designed by Nic Benns, of Momoco UK; contact information and a clip of the titles are on their website: http://momoco.co.uk/

I'd guess he designed or selected the font, and Momoco might be willing or able to direct you to it or a publicly available equivalent.
Believe it or not, Nametag, I'm a step ahead of you. I sent them an email an hour or so ago. Of course it's late at night in the UK, so I don't expect a response soon.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:14 PM
It looks like its Priori Sans by Emigre.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
SDMB blows me away yet again. Thanks guys I also emailed Momoco so we should both know soon, but Priori Sans looks pretty darn close.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 PM
SDSAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy_Gibbler View Post
Hmmm. To my untrained eye, that looks very similar to the very 1930s-esque font the London Underground still uses: http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/im/SI-T.html
Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Hmmm. To my untrained eye, that looks very similar to the very 1930s-esque font the London Underground still uses: http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/im/SI-T.html
They may appear similar, but the London Underground actually uses a typeface called Johnston.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 AM
SDSAB
Quote:
They may appear similar, but the London Underground actually uses a typeface called Johnston.
That's it - love it!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Hmm. Anybody else find that lowercase d a little jarring?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:15 AM
Yes - and the p as well.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Just got a response to my email about fifteen minutes ago:
Quote:
The typeface we used was Neutraface. It's available from House Industries, who have some well design fonts.

houseind.com

Kind Regards,

Nic Benns
Producer // Director
Momoco
Trouble is - I don't think this is the right font! It's got the crossed W, but the J isn't just a straight line.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:43 AM
And then about an hour later I got a second email:
Quote:
......and Priori Sans!

N
This one looks to be the right one. It's made by a company called Emigre that has an online textsetter you can play with. I had it write the word "JAWBREAKER" in Priori Sans Regular and it fits happywaffle's description to a tee.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingspades View Post
And then about an hour later I got a second email:

This one looks to be the right one. It's made by a company called Emigre that has an online textsetter you can play with. I had it write the word "JAWBREAKER" in Priori Sans Regular and it fits happywaffle's description to a tee.
NO WAY REALLY??

Anyways, coincidentally enough, I was looking at House Industries fonts over the weekend, in particular, the Luxury font family.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I'd say that Priori Sans has more of an Art Deco feel about it. More Streamline Moderne rather than Bauhaus Modernist.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Quote:
NO WAY REALLY??
YA RLY!

For those of you scoring at home (or even if you're all by yourself), Kimmy_Gibbler was absolutely right on the money when she identified the font yesterday at 5:14 PM.

I, on the other hand, got to swap a couple of pleasant emails with an artist on the other side of an ocean and in the process marvel at the ability I have to look up a movie, find a contact for a company that worked on it, send that person a message with a fairly esoteric question and receive a direct and personal answer, all in the space of sixteen hours.