Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2009, 11:52 PM
What can you do if a car alarm is going off and the owner isn't around? (need answer fast)

There's a car alarm going off outside in my apartment's parking lot. So far it's been going off for about fifteen minutes.

While the noise doesn't bother me, it does raise an interesting question: What happens if a car alarm just keeps going? What can anyone else do if the owner isn't around or doesn't know about it for a long time?

ETA: This is under the guise that either the owner cannot be reached/found or the fact that nobody knows who the owner is.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 08-13-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:59 PM
You could call the cops but they won't do anything. I will be interested if anyone replies with a legal method that resolved the situation in a timely manor in an actual case of an annoying car alarm.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:02 AM
A legal method? You wait for the battery to die while wishing horrific tortures upon the owner.

Last edited by Oakminster; 08-14-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Charter Member
Sledgehammer. There's not a jury in the world that will convict.

On a more serious note, could the car owner potentially be fined for violating noise bylaws?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
A legal method? You wait for the battery to die while wishing horrific tortures upon the owner.
Remember when Viper car alarms would yell at you? "Protected by Viper back off!" There was a car parked outside my apartment back in the day. It would go off in a stiff breeze. I always wanted to write "Woken by viper. fuck off!" on a piece of paper and attach this paper to a cinder block and throw it through the wind shield of the car.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:21 AM
There was a car parked in our apartment's parking lot a few weeks ago that would go off every day, and it would stay on for hours. Fucking annoying as all get-out. And to make it worse, it happened to be right behind my unit so I probably heard it the loudest. It was there 2 or 3 days before the building manager finally had it towed. (first they tried to locate the owner but couldn't, as it wasn't one of the residents' cars. It was parked in the "guest" space)

So if it's in your apartment building's lot, the first step is to tell the manager(s). If they can't locate the owner, it needs to be towed.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:24 AM
There's really nothing that's technically legal that you can do. Non-harmfully yet illegally, if it's the kind of older car where you can get under the hood without getting into the car, I suggest disconnecting the battery cable. You'd be doing the owner a favor, as the alarm wouldn't then be running the battery down.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:38 AM
I remember a poster posting here about one going off FOR DAYS.

Legally, you cant do a damn thing. You/the property owner "might" be able to have it towed away.

In the posters situation, it got so bad they even sent a cop to protect the damn car as it blared for days.

If you are desperate, get under the car and start ripping out wires that might lead to the battery or horn. Of course this IS illegal and destruction of property. How desperate are you? At the very least, do like OJ and wear gloves that dont fit when you do this.

Last edited by billfish678; 08-14-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:13 AM
SD Curator of Critters
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678 View Post
If you are desperate, get under the car and start ripping out wires that might lead to the battery or horn. Of course this IS illegal and destruction of property. How desperate are you? At the very least, do like OJ and wear gloves that dont fit when you do this.
[Moderating]

Please don't advocate illegal activity on the SDMB. Let's stick to legal courses of action, if any. No warning issued.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 08-14-2009, 01:28 AM
Have it towed, if the tow company agrees to tow it you are not liable in anyway they are.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:51 AM
It finally stopped after about 45 minutes. Owner was probably in the shower or something.
Thank goodness, though. It wasn't one of those intermitten beeping/honking ones...it was one of those constant, steady "Ooooowweeeooooooweeeeoooooooweeeeoooooooweeeooooooooweeoooooooo..."

Our apartment doesn't have a manager on site 24 hours...the office closes at five and everyone's gone home by five thirty. There is an emergency maintenance number, though, but I doubt they'd do anything.

Thanks for the answers, though.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 08-14-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Luckily, we don't have too many people who set car alarms around here.

Back when I was living in California, I was awakened by a car alarm right outside my apartment bedroom window. The second time it happened, I wrote a note and placed it on the windshield: I just said, "This car alarm has awakened me twice in the middle of the night. Don't let there be a third time." Happily, there wasn't.

I *detest* car alarms. There's so many of them in heavily-populated areas that they basically get ignored, and few owners stay close enough to their cars to deal with it anyway. They serve only to annoy.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:06 AM
The Simi Valley solution. There’s a lot of people around here who wanted to buy that guy a beer.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:20 AM
BANNED
Call the cops but don't tell them the alarm is unattended. Tell them you see people lurking around the car and it's going off.

If the cops leave, call them back, and say "I see someone coming back for the car"

You don't have to state nothing exactly. For instance, "I've heard there's a lot of drugs being dealt here lately, maybe this is an attempt to distract the cops. Who owns this car."

So the cops leave, dial the cops again, "They're back some guys in ski masks, they must be hiding and watching for the police."

Appear conserned and not a jerk and the cops will get sick of it fast enough and actually DO something about it.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:06 AM
This is not a police problem, and I'm not sure that a deception intended to waste police time and divert them from dealing with, you know, actual crimes is altogether justified.

Break the window with a hammer, open the door, pop the hood and disconnect the battery. Defend the resulting criminal charge by pointing out that you are entitled to take reasonable steps to abate a niusance, and that if the idiot hadn't locked his car you could have done it without any damage at all. If he chooses to leave a noise-emitting niusance in a public place, and then to lock it so that it can;t be dealt with without damage, shouldn't he have to accept the cosequences?

Course, you'll probably still be convicted, but you will feel so much more self-righteous than if you were convicted of wasting police time.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:10 AM
According to the movie twins, lifting the front up to about a 30 degree angle will shut it off.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
There's really nothing that's technically legal that you can do. Non-harmfully yet illegally, if it's the kind of older car where you can get under the hood without getting into the car, I suggest disconnecting the battery cable. You'd be doing the owner a favor, as the alarm wouldn't then be running the battery down.
And if the car is subsequently stolen, the owner would have a claim against you for the value of the car.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDS View Post
This is not a police problem, and I'm not sure that a deception intended to waste police time and divert them from dealing with, you know, actual crimes is altogether justified.
I’ve never really investigated the matter since I’ve never owned a car alarm, but surely there must be some municipalities that have adopted ordinances to deal with this issue. It just stands to reason that this must be the case. Therefore, there must be places where it is a police matter. I’ll look into it in the morning and see what I can find.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Unless your town has made an ordinance for this your likely out of luck. I believe on this board somebody was writing about a car alarm that had been going off for hours and the cops stood guard over it so the residents wouldn't damage the car to stop it. It had gone on until the battery died.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious Discord View Post
Unless I believe on this board somebody was writing about a car alarm that had been going off for hours and the cops stood guard over it so the residents wouldn't damage the car to stop it. It had gone on until the battery died.
I recall it literally being DAYS, and I think a weekend to boot making it even more aggravating, because the poster was amazed the battery would last that long.

That would be a good post for someone to dig up. Between my lack of search foo, my flakey computer, and the board's sick hamster, I aint trying that one.

I would also think some town somewhere (and hopefully one day all of em) has passed a law to the effect : if that alarm has been running more than an hour (or whatever), the police or tow company can take all reasonable measures to shut it down or move it out, regardless of where its parked.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm sure I've asked this before, but I forgot: What the hell is the point of car alarms?

I've never seen them accomplish anything but annoying the neighbors. Carjackers aren't so poor that they can't afford earplugs, right?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
I'm sure I've asked this before, but I forgot: What the hell is the point of car alarms?

I've never seen them accomplish anything but annoying the neighbors. Carjackers aren't so poor that they can't afford earplugs, right?
It's to find your car when you hit the remote unlock.

I think we'd be better off, having a camera that sends pictures to a security firm or your choice of site every time the car is accessed without the security code. The total ignition shutdown is a good way to to prevent stealing the whole car.

billfish678 I think it was days too, but didn't want to say that without the link. I won't even try to search for it on this site either.

Last edited by Harmonious Discord; 08-14-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:30 PM
I was wondering the same thing last night at 1am and Wednesday night about 11:30 pm, and Tuesday night too. Great to know that I've paid tickets for a dog barking in the daytime for less than 4 minutes, but I can't do a damn thing about this moron's car.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:38 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
And if the car is subsequently stolen, the owner would have a claim against you for the value of the car.
1) What car thief is going to check why the car won't start and try to fix it while stealing a car?
2) If they do manage to steal it then anything done to it can be laid at the car thief's door.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Charter Member
What can you do if a car alarm is going off and the owner isn't around? (need answer fast)

It's been about 15 hours since the "need answer fast" plea. So, it's too late to help. Sorry.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Quote:
This is not a police problem
If police can come break up a noisy party, or have an illegally vehicle towed, how is it not a police problem to have a nuisance vehicle causing a huge disturbance towed?
Old 08-14-2009, 03:13 PM
I always wondered if the method from Twins works - Ahnold lifts up the back of the car, which sets off some sort of sensor designed to turn off the alarm if it's towed.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Well, ten to fifteen minutes of just cursory Googling shows that a lot of communities have passed ordinances enabling the police to fine and/or tow vehicles that just won’t shut up. I’m surprised that this isn’t universally embraced—what better way to bolster municipal coffers with some fast, easy bucks? I’d wager that there are also homeowner’s associations which have bylaws regulating car alarms.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Shouting Grasshopper
Someone in our neighborhood had a Toyota pick-up with an overly-sensitive alarm. It used to go off at all hours, doing the 30-second WHOOP-WEEEEEah-HONK-CHIRP thing 15-20 times a day. Nice notes didn't work, angry notes had no effect, calls to the police were a waste of time. We did find a successful approach, though.

What eventually got results? Liberal amounts of semi-rotten foodstuffs dumped in the bed of the truck and applied to the windshield. I guess the owner didn't like the smell of old sauerkraut, onions, garlic and pickle juice. Good thing, too--the next weapon was going to be fish sauce.

Last edited by blondebear; 08-14-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
If police can come break up a noisy party, or have an illegally vehicle towed, how is it not a police problem to have a nuisance vehicle causing a huge disturbance towed?
It's absolutely a police problem. In fact, my friend once had his car towed in college...we were in class, he came back 4 hours later, his car was gone, and he ended up paying a fine for disturbing the peace. Just call the cops, they'll have the thing towed. Simple as pie. They're not going to send out 15 cruisers with flashing lights, but they'll have someone drive by at some point in the next 20 minutes, and if the alarm is still going off, they'll try to locate the owner at any nearby houses, if the car is registered locally, and then just have it towed. You're not interfering with any real crime investigation, you're just having the police do exactly what they're supposed to do: SERVE and protect. That's what we pay cops for: to deal with violations of property and the public welfare.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 PM
So I guess, so far, the bottom line is: Nothing can be done. At all. At least legally.
And chances are, nobody will be able to help either.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
What eventually got results? Liberal amounts of semi-rotten foodstuffs dumped in the bed of the truck and applied to the windshield. I guess the owner didn't like the smell of old sauerkraut, onions, garlic and pickle juice. Good thing, too--the next weapon was going to be fish sauce.
Hmmm.. is it against the law to put something on someones car if it doesn't do any permanent damage? I wouldn't advise keying it or dumping paint on it but what if you wrote on the windows "beepbeepbeepbeepbeep" with a bar of soap? Or dumped a glass of milk on the windshield?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post

Once I was going to bed when a car alarm went off nearby. It stopped going off after about thirty seconds. I knew it wasn't mine but I checked anyway - it was my boyfriend's, and it went off because a homeless lady broke into it to sleep in it. It stopped going off when she shut the door, weirdly. So, I'm the one example.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Hmmm.. is it against the law to put something on someones car if it doesn't do any permanent damage? I wouldn't advise keying it or dumping paint on it but what if you wrote on the windows "beepbeepbeepbeepbeep" with a bar of soap? Or dumped a glass of milk on the windshield?
Well...if you can literally JUST touch someone and get charged with assault, I suspect you can do something pretty darn minor to a car and get charged with vandalism...maybe even grand vandalism auto

You local legal mileage will vary enourmously
Old 08-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
There are probably local ordinances which specify how loud a party can be and whether a given vehicle is illegally parked and the consequences for violating those ordinances. If the noise ordinance is too narrowly tailored, it might exclude car alarms, in which case the cops can't do anything about it. The solution then would be to lobby your city/county commissioners/aldermen/etc. to create regulations specifying when a car alarm becomes a nuisance and how the issue should be remedied.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post
I’ve never really investigated the matter since I’ve never owned a car alarm, but surely there must be some municipalities that have adopted ordinances to deal with this issue. It just stands to reason that this must be the case. Therefore, there must be places where it is a police matter. I’ll look into it in the morning and see what I can find.

About 15 years ago I believe it was San Francisco thar did adopted an ordinance. If I remember right, if an alarm went off for over 30 minutes (I think the time was 30 minutes) and you had made a reasonable attempt to find the "responsable person". Then you were free to do what ever was reasonable to shut the alarm off.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:00 AM
Quote:
This is not a police problem,.
It's a public nuisance and as such can be towed away.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:17 AM
In the UK, Environmental Health have the authority to deal with a problem like this, and can get the car removed.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:55 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
It's a public nuisance and as such can be towed away.
Not necessarily, it depends upon the local laws. Public nuisance laws which are overbroad can be thrown out on First Amendment grounds. But jurisdictions attempting to avoid that might then have regulations so tightly tailored that they wind up not covering annoying car alarms.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts View Post
So I guess, so far, the bottom line is: Nothing can be done. At all. At least legally.
And chances are, nobody will be able to help either.
IANAL but under UK you would probably be entitled to gain access under the bonnet and disconnect the battery, provided this did not result in criminal damage, or if the amount rendered was de minimis. You might also be able to argue a case for actual damage from "lawful excuse" provided you,

Quote:
(a) at the time ... he believed that the person ... believed to be entitled to consent to the destruction or damage ... had so consented, or would have consented had they known ..., or
(b) he destroyed or damaged ... the property in question ... and in order to protect the property ... and at the time ... he believed
(i) that the property ... was in immediate need of protection; and
(ii) that the means of protection ... were ... reasonable having regard to all the circumstances.
Criminal Damage Act 1971 (section 5)

In light of Chamberlain v. Lindon (1998) it can also be somewhat immaterial whether your action is actually supported in law, provided that it was honestly held. (Wikipedia)
Old 08-15-2009, 10:53 AM
The movie is "Noise" with Tim Robbins. Quite good, strangely, considering that it revolves around car alarms. He is a one man enforcement squad, constantly refining his technique.

Not to be confused with "Noise" of the Australian variety, also a very good film about a murder case (if you can handle the tinnitus sound effect).
Old 08-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Update: It's going off again. And has for about ten minutes so far.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
All the comments about lifting the front end of the car make me wonder if you could just jack up the front until it shut up, and then set it back down (carefully) on some cinder blocks or something.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 PM
I'd really check your local noise laws; they should be available on your municipality's website, assuming it has one, of course! Mine does, and the noise bylaw is this one.

Quote:
...[Il] est spécifiquement prohibé...le bruit provenant de l'utilisation inutile ou abusive d'un sifflet, d'une sirène ou d'un appareil analogue dans un véhicule automobile
My translation: "Specifically prohibited is noise originating from useless or abusive whistles, sirens, or horns in an automobile".

Call the non-emergency police number - they can probably tell you what you can and can't do, and who to call if there is any recourse.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:33 PM
It shouldn't be too difficult to find out who the owner of the car is. The police might even help you there. Once you know who it is you can go knock on his door or ring his phone at 3 o'clock in the morning just to let hin know his car is okay.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:45 PM
I think this is the other thread y'all are remembering:

7 hours. 40 minutes. And counting. Enough already!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWhatsit View Post
I think this is the other thread y'all are remembering:

7 hours. 40 minutes. And counting. Enough already!
Thats it!

I was remembering it going on for days. 25 hours and a bit is enough to just squeak by. I am sure it felt like days to the victims.

I also note that in that case the alarm made the lights flash. Making light takes way more energy than making sound, so if in this case the alarm isnt making the car lights flash, the OP here could be in for a long haul.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Home burglar alarms can cause the same type of problem. And there's no option to tow it away.

I believe some home burglar alarms shut off after a fixed time, perhaps 30 minutes, but there are others that continue until shut off.

I recall a few cases in the area where the police made it clear neighbors could not take any action.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 AM
I want to defend car alarm owners here

I just want to take a second to defend car alarm owners. Not ALL alrms serve only to annoy.
We recently had our alarm fail in a way that it kept going off. Within 3 minutes we respnded, within 30 we had it disabled down to chirping, and within an hour and a half, Becca had it completely shut down and the brain box removed, silencing it for good. We replaced the damaged alarm with a unit that has Nuicanse Control Programming. It goes off for 60 seconds when tripped. If the same sensor trips it repeatedly (such as if a door isn't shut right, or a sensor fails), the alarm shuts down that sensor. On windy days, or if there is contruction, we set it with the bump sensor disabled. Should it go off and no one is home, it would stop in 60 seconds unless someone is ACTUaLlY stealing the car. If it's being stolen, either the cops will come or the car will be stolen and not bothering tennants. If they give up, the car will stop going off.

Not ALL car alarm owners are dicks!

-Mia
Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Jeez, for a minute there I thought, "Holy crap, that car alarm has been going off for three years now!"
Closed Thread