Old 09-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Women: do you ever wear a slip?

This Project Rungay post about the new Sex and the City movie made me wonder about this topic. There are some minor spoilers for the new movie here, so if you care about that, don't read it. Scroll down to where Carrie/SJP is wearing a white, translucent dress. You can see through the skirt, especially when it's pressed up against her, highlighting maybe a little too much tootie, as the PRG boys like to put it.

Several of the commenters mentioned that the dress needed a slip to prevent seeing through the skirt on an otherwise lovely little Halston dress. However, whenever the subject of a slip was mentioned, it was in the context of, "I know this is old fashioned/archaic/passe, but she really needs a slip with that dress."

Is it totally out now to wear a slip? I wear a half slip sometimes if the skirt is really thin and/or has a tendency to stick between my legs. I had no idea it was considered so old ladyish.

What say you? Is the slip out now, or are people still wearing them when needed?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I do. A lot of skirts and dresses are too sheer to wear alone, and ditto on the sticking to legs thing.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't be comfortable in a skirt without one - unless it's suit skirt and already lined. even then I prefer to wear it as it makes moving around easier.

But then, I'm an old lady.

ETA: The ad at the bottom of the page is headlined "MD crossdressers" does that mean slips are for drag queens now?

Last edited by TruCelt; 09-03-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
I definitely wear a (half) slip with skirts if the skirt is see-through or if I'm wearing tights.

(The last time I bought slips, I got the exact same style in three lengths: short, knee-length, and mid-calf.)
Old 09-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Half slip with skirts or dresses that are transparent or have a tendency to stick to my legs. It's not old-lady, it's common sense. If you go around in a see-through skirt and everybody can see your business, you look like a tramp, or like you don't know how to dress yourself properly.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Jesus, I haven't worn a slip since the '80s. Then again, I don't own any dresses that are sheer or stick to my legs.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:53 PM
As a college student, I can say that I know many college-age girls to own and wear slips with dresses, at least some of the time.

Last edited by appleciders; 09-03-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:53 PM
The last time I wore a slip was as the bottom of the pirate costume I wore the year before last. It was lacy and went well with the fishnet stockings...

Generally speaking, though, I don't wear skirts that are sheer or tight enough that seeing through them or having them stick to me are an issue.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I haven't worn a slip in 20 years. I never felt comfortable in one and I never wear sheer skirts or dresses anyway.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:55 PM
No, a slip sticks to the dress and makes it static-y and clingy and bunch up all funny and hang wrong (especially in the winter). If I tried on a dress and found out it was THAT sheer I'd assume it was a cheap piece of crap and not buy it. (Regardless of price.) Plus wearing a slip with a summer dress defeats the whole purpose of wearing something light and cool - now you're wearing two layers of fabric and you're hot all over again!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Not in this life. If I had a sheer dress, yes; but I don't see a little lace number in my immediate future. Camisoles work fine for sheer tops--but I tend not to buy any item of clothing that needs another item to work. In Texas, we rarely need extra layers. Especially stuff that can't be removed easily if it gets hot.

And I don't wear much heavy wool. It just doesn't work down here. Layers! I do have silk long underwear for the extremely rare truly cold days down here--or trips to the Frozen North. Great for taking mass transit into work--then, into the ladies' room to prepare for a day in the warm office. Just a slip would not be enough for that job.

In my high school years, I wore a bra, panties, a panty girdle & stockings. Plus a slip or--perhaps--a half slip. In Texas!

So I go with what's needed to be decent & comfortable.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't have any sheer dresses or skirts, but I like to wear one because it's so freakin' cold in this office from the air conditioning. The slip provides a little extra insulation.

Semi-hijack: And what about hosiery? Are pantyhose now considered old lady-wear?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm 24, and I've never worn one, owned one, or known anyone who did.

ETA: Carrie's dress looked fine to me. It looked pretty thick to me.

Last edited by Freudian Slit; 09-03-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Sure I've worn slips. As skirts and nighties. Any dresses I have that are sheer would look just as odd with a layer of fabric underneath that wasn't part of the original design. I just wear them with a smile and stay out of direct sunlight.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fight View Post
Sure I've worn slips. As skirts and nighties. Any dresses I have that are sheer would look just as odd with a layer of fabric underneath that wasn't part of the original design. I just wear them with a smile and stay out of direct sunlight.
I was going to say that when I googled for "slip dress" and "half slip," I came up with a lot of options that looked like they could be stand alone garments. (Maybe the same way tank tops/camisoles/t-shirts were once underwear but today are outerwear.)

voguevixen, you said it! When I want to wear a light summery dress, I want to feel cool, not layered.

As for pantyhose, I've worn it on occasion. If it's really cold out, I often wear leggings and then knee length boots with a skirt/dress. It's way more comfy.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Monkey View Post
I haven't worn a slip in 20 years. I never felt comfortable in one and I never wear sheer skirts or dresses anyway.
I thought you were a guy.

Having said that, your remarks woudn't be entirely out of place if uttered by some guys, I suppose.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't think I've worn a slip since my first communion. I wear dresses all the time, but I generally avoid solid white or pastels, so sheerness isn't so much an issue. I probably wouldn't buy anything so sheer that I felt required a slip, it's just way too much of a pain in the ass for me. After all, half the beauty of a dress is that it's one piece, pull it over you're head and you're done.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Certainly, I wear a half-slip with any skirt or dress that isn't lined. Even if it's not particularly sheer or light, walking in front of a sunny glass door will not leave much to the imagination. I never notice that it's there. In a professional setting I'd consider a slip to be pretty standard.

It's become quite popular with hip sewists to sew your own lingerie, esp. slips in fun colors and fabrics. Like so. I've seen kelly-green recently, meant to go under a black skirt.

Last edited by dangermom; 09-03-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:52 PM
I have two skirts and a dress that I have to wear a slip with. I have no problem doing so and I'm a ripe old 29.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:01 PM
I think in the 11 years I've been married and the 20+ years I've known my wife, she has worn a slip maybe twice. I'm not even sure she owns one at this point. She spends a good part of the summer in light skirts and dresses, but I guess none so sheer that you can see her coochie. However, I do find the look of a slip sexy, as long as there's nothing on over it. Like, a woman walking around the house before getting dressed to go out- if she's in a slip, it's sort of a turn-on. But then when she actually gets dressed, it should come off (in the fantasy).

She's in her 40's.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
--but I tend not to buy any item of clothing that needs another item to work.
Yes, I hate that!

I do, however, have a half slip that I bought to wear with my itchy wool skirt. I wear it maybe twice a year.

teela, as far as pantyhose go, Iím trying to wean myself away from them since theyíre apparently Just Not Done anymore. Iím barelegged today as a matter of fact. I canít see as how Iíve done the world any favors with the display of my bruised white skin, though. I completely gave up the nude pantyhose, but I still have some off-black pairs and a couple of fishnets.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
I wear half-slips with clingy or sheer skirts. The sheer skirts aren't made of gauze, but some really lightweight fabrics are a bit sheer, especially if you are standing somewhere with a lot of bright light behind you.

Note: This is Florida. You want the lightest weight fabrics you can find. If that means it's a "cheap piece of crap" then so be it. You sweat your butt off then. My shit likes to breathe. That said, wearing a synthetic fabric skip with a nice linen or cotton dress or skirt pretty much defeats the purpose of "light, cool, and comfortable." I've tried and tried to find cotton slips, but they are very difficult to find. I got one from The Vermont Country Store, but it was like a long baby t-shirt and not very attractive. And a rather heavy weight cotton for Florida (Nice when the temps cool... for two months out of the year, otherwise, not really worth the shipping).

Anyway, if anyone can point me to natural fiber slips, you'll be my fashion hero for the week.

Oh, and P.S. I don't wear pantyhose unless I'm going to be in an important meeting or a job interview with Big Wigs and have to wear a suit and look all spiffy and professional. The rest of the time, I look as professional as is possible without pantyhose. It's just too dang hot down here for those things.

Last edited by Dogzilla; 09-03-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:38 PM
If you wear the right slip, it can do double duty on a date.

But to the OP's point, I think that slips are considered old ladyish, but I also think that's unfortunate because they can minimize pantyline if you don't want to wear a thong or want to make an otherwise questionable (almost sheer) dress more appropriate.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:43 PM
They're hard to find these days - I have a few for skirts that are sticking to my legs.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:39 PM
I wear slips and half-slips under sheer dresses/skirts. During hot weather, I wear pettipants under some sundresses to prevent chafing, although they look comically grannyish! In situations where I cannot go bare-legged under a dress, I no longer wear hose from an egg, but instead wear thigh high stockings, which are sexier and less bulky.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Half slips when appropriate, as many others have already mentioned. For the reason that you might wear a certain type of bra under a certain type of shirt, or a cami under a blouse, or whatever. For people to consider them old-fashioned and obsolete is just crazy talk. You may never wear a skirt/dress that requires one, but I would also bet that sometimes one is really required and you don't realize it. It's like that famous picture of Diana Spencer that was taken at the kindergarten where she worked after the announcement of her engagement to Charles. With the way the light was behind her and with the lasting image of the photo, the skirt became almost see-through.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Charter Member
I wore a slip just the other day, to the family reunion. The knee length skirt I have I absolutely love and is not sheer, but it tends to be floaty and when a breeze picks up.. up it goes. So to prevent showing my underwear off to all my relatives by accident (75% of the people there were my Grandparents age) I wore a slip.

I didn't find it uncomfortable in the slightest, and it was one of the hottest days this summer. And I was really glad I wore it because when we returned Great-Grandma to the nursing home the wind DID pick up and lift my skirt.

If the skirt needs it, then yes I'll wear one. I also wear cami's regularly, as underclothes. That's mainly because I have a nickel allergy and even though my belt is claimed to be nickel free I get a rash sometimes if I don't wear something between my skin and it so it tucks in. Which does double duty because being tall as I am, most shirts (especially dress shirts) tend to be too short and rise up which doesn't look so great at work.

Pantyhose though? That's the spawn of the devil and the worst invention ever.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm only 35, but I'm apparently very old fashioned. I prefer to wear slips with dresses and skirts. It's hot here, and the sticking problem is legion. With a slip, the slip sticks, the skirt hangs properly. It also cuts down on the sweat-staining and deodorant-staining, which cuts down on the dry cleaning bills. I'm also fond of stockings and garters, especially if I haven't shaved in 2 days. I actually have a very silky pants-liner to wear under dress slacks, as well, to prevent the sticking/hanging wrong problem. I don't wear those as often, but I do wear them.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I have a black full slip, and I feel like a movie star in it. I don't want to put anything over it! And regular skirt slips, too. But do I wear them? Not very regularly, and even when I probably should. I'll be re-thinking them now, though. I just tend to wear a skirt or dress that might be see-through on cloudy summer days instead of bright ones.

Yes, apparently pantyhose are no longer necessary, and I haven't worn them except to a job interview (I got the job...) but I don't wear short skirts, so not a whole lot of my pasty-white, plump, and scarred legs show. For winter, I do wear black hose a lot. That's when the pale white legs, with accessory scars, seem to really stick out, and I do think black hose looks much more polished.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Creature of the Night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogzilla View Post
I wear half-slips with clingy or sheer skirts. The sheer skirts aren't made of gauze, but some really lightweight fabrics are a bit sheer, especially if you are standing somewhere with a lot of bright light behind you.

Note: This is Florida. You want the lightest weight fabrics you can find. If that means it's a "cheap piece of crap" then so be it. You sweat your butt off then. My shit likes to breathe. That said, wearing a synthetic fabric skip with a nice linen or cotton dress or skirt pretty much defeats the purpose of "light, cool, and comfortable." I've tried and tried to find cotton slips, but they are very difficult to find. I got one from The Vermont Country Store, but it was like a long baby t-shirt and not very attractive. And a rather heavy weight cotton for Florida (Nice when the temps cool... for two months out of the year, otherwise, not really worth the shipping).

Anyway, if anyone can point me to natural fiber slips, you'll be my fashion hero for the week.

Oh, and P.S. I don't wear pantyhose unless I'm going to be in an important meeting or a job interview with Big Wigs and have to wear a suit and look all spiffy and professional. The rest of the time, I look as professional as is possible without pantyhose. It's just too dang hot down here for those things.
I've been thinking of just making a couple of half-slips out of unbleached muslin or something similar. It can't be that hard. I think that nylon slips are the work of the Devil, who hates women even more than Paul did. However, enough fabric softener will help prevent the slips from clinging so badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy_Easter View Post
I wear slips and half-slips under sheer dresses/skirts. During hot weather, I wear pettipants under some sundresses to prevent chafing, although they look comically grannyish! In situations where I cannot go bare-legged under a dress, I no longer wear hose from an egg, but instead wear thigh high stockings, which are sexier and less bulky.
Try some women's boxers, or boxer briefs. They prevent chafing, and are actually cooler, in my experience, than briefs. I am not going to comment on hose, as they are another invention of the Devil.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:15 PM
I wear half slips anytime I wear a skirt or a dress. It keeps the dress from bunching up and can help with static cling. It also helps when it's hot and sweaty outside...I can tuck the slip between my legs if I need to to prevent chafing (currently out of pettipants) which is a much better solution than tucking the skirt between my legs!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Charter Member
I wear dresses or skirts almost every day (I just like them) and always wear a trouser like half slip aka pettipants. They rock. Even if they do show when I'm on my bike.

I also sleep in them in the summer.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:35 AM
I have one skirt and one dress that require slips. The skirt is clingy so without a slip it looks ridiculous. The dress is a knit Missoni type thing so a nude slip underneath is essential, plus it makes the dress lie more smoothly.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Of course I wear a slip, if I need one, at least a half-slip. I once needed a pink one for a transparent pink skirt - found a pink one in the thrift store, washed well, voila. (I only wore the skirt twice, didn't want to spend $15 and all day shopping for a new pink slip.)
Old 09-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Charter Member
My wife wears them fairly often. She's not terribly young, but not old (near 40).
Old 09-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Beauchamp View Post
It's like that famous picture of Diana Spencer that was taken at the kindergarten where she worked after the announcement of her engagement to Charles.
I thought of that whe I first saw this thread too. There was worry that the photo might derail the engagement. I'm sure it was her worst fear at the time, but think how much happier she might have been!

Pantyhose - I'll never give them up. My extremely white Irish skin needs to be filtered or people could be blinded in the sunlight. I'll be an old lady sitting on the porch whining to my grandchildrent hat I have to send away to third world countries to buy them anymore. . . Plus your shoes get all yucky if you wear them without some sort of stocking.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm relieved that I'm not the only person left under 70 who still wears a slip, or at least a half-slip. I agree that it's inconvenient in the summer, but generally, I'm more worried about the cling factor and the see-through factor, since it doesn't get all that hot here for very long. As for panty hose, I don't wear 'em, but I do wear tights, and I have quite a collection. If I'm wearing high boots, I wear lycra footless tights and actual socks. It's all about the comfort, and I'm not in a very formal setting.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Wow. I wouldn't even know where to look to buy a slip. Then again, I wear a skirt or dress maybe 3-4x/year, and both of my skirts are denim.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I have one skirt that I have to wear a half-slip with. It's white cotton, and even though it is lined, you can still see through it on a sunny day.

I'm 24, and it didn't even occur to me that it would be old-fashioned to wear a slip.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Not anymore, not since the mandatory church attendance of my misspent youth.

What matters is not how you wear a slip, but how you slip out of what you wear.

I tentatively believe I've coined a new bon mot there... the first four pages on Google turned up nuthin'.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsQ View Post
Wow. I wouldn't even know where to look to buy a slip. Then again, I wear a skirt or dress maybe 3-4x/year, and both of my skirts are denim.
You have to go to a department store, like your mom goes to, and then you have to find where they keep the nylon granny panties and there's a rack next to them.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:02 PM
About the only time I wear a skirt is to job interviews. That's also the only time I wear pantihose and pettilegs (not a half-slip). The pettilegs protect my inner thighs from The Chafe.

If I wear a long skirt to something like a wedding (very few and far between), I wear the pettilegs but no pantihose.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm 22, and I, along with other girls my age I know, actually wear shorts under our dresses. Like, tight shorts. Kinda like the cheap ghetto version of pettilegs. Not for date nights or anything, if you think you're getting lucky you're going to dress up, but for events like weddings or family gatherings, it works.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Like bloomers or skirtys! I sew white knit shorts (with stretch lace edging) for my little girls to wear. Very practical for running around.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez Guevara View Post
I thought you were a guy.

Having said that, your remarks woudn't be entirely out of place if uttered by some guys, I suppose.

Yep, I'm a girl.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:59 PM
I do wear one on occasion for the reasons mentioned.

Oddly enough, I think of them as rather old ladyish, but like corkboard, my boyfriend finds them very sexy.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Huh. I haven't even THOUGHT about wearing a slip for years. I'm 52 and grew up wearing half-slips and full slips, but probably haven't worn one in at least 15 years. I don't wear pantyhose, either, but I do wear opaque black tights, even in Florida summers (sometimes; not with every dress or skirt, of course), and sometimes the cottony-ness of the tights results in my skirt sticking to the tights. I wouldn't have thought of wearing a slip to prevent this, but now that I've read this thread, I think that's the solution. So thanks!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushiel View Post
I'm 22, and I, along with other girls my age I know, actually wear shorts under our dresses. Like, tight shorts. Kinda like the cheap ghetto version of pettilegs. Not for date nights or anything, if you think you're getting lucky you're going to dress up, but for events like weddings or family gatherings, it works.
I do that sometimes, and I'm much older than you. I also wear Spanx-like garments. Not quite a girdle, but almost. Almost.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Haven't worn a dress in mmmmm well can't say it's been that long, but I always used to wear a slip, I think. Though I had a great skirt back in the early 90's that was two or three layers of soft muslin, I suspect I didnt wear a slip with that or with the denim jumper either.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:53 AM
'heck's a "tootie"?