Old 09-04-2009, 08:37 PM
What the heck is shocking me as I lie in bed? (long-ish)

I'll try to describe this as best as possible.

First of all, my mattress sits on the floor, there's no boxspring or headboard, it's just a mattress.

Secondly, for the last six years I've lived here, in my apartment, I've always had a fan on and running (this being Arizona, it's usually very needed). The fan is a box fan and has always stood right near the bed, sometimes/most of the time even touching it a little.
It hasn't always been the same box fan, mind you; I've had about three of them in six years.

About a month or so ago, I woke from a deep sleep and reached up to touch the fan's switch for some reason or other. I remember as soon as I touched it it felt immediately as if an electric shock was passing into my body. It hurt, very badly. I let go and even though it was only a few half seconds, it felt like my arm was on fire. I leapt to my feat and my arm started going numb a bit, and tingling.
I thought that the fan had shocked me (naturally), so later that day, a neighbor and I got it shut off and we threw it away. Time for a new one.

I got a new one and all is fine, until about a week and a half later. This time, I'm lying in bed and SOMETHNG shocks me THROUGH the mattress. It felt the exact same way as when I touched my fan...although not quite as strong (thankfully). It didn't knock me to my feet nor did it continue after I pulled my hand away from the mattress.

Okay, fine...but just now: I'm lying in there and on my side and I put my hand down in one of the deep crevices of the mattress (that's lowered a bit more from being layed on so much for so long) and OW I got shocked like NEVER before. It HURT. Badly. I jumped to my feet and my thumb was burning. It actually hurt. I've been shocked electrictricly before and it feels just like this.

What in the hell is shocking me on my own bed? Could it be the fan that's touching the mattress? Sending little short shocks through it and it's hitting the springs (in the mattress) and that's what's shocking me? That's the only thing I can think of.
Is that possible? Could that happen? The outlet that the fan is plugged into is loose a little, but that never seemed to matter before. I certainly was never shocked plugging or unplugging something in.

All I know is, SOMETHING is giving me electric shocks, somehow, and I hope it stops.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Look for a lamp, clock or extension cord touching the bed and inspect them for breaks in the insulation. Does your bed touch a furnace duct? Something could have electrified the duct work. Something is conducting power to the bed frame. Do you have an electric blanket?

Last edited by Harmonious Discord; 09-04-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious Discord View Post
Look for a lamp, clock or extension cord touching the bed and inspect them for breaks in the insulation. Does your bed touch a furnace duct? Something could have electrified the duct work. Something is conducting power to the bed frame. Do you have an electric blanket?
None of the above. There are no lamps or clocks in the room. No electric blanket. The heating duct is in the ceiling.
There is nothing plugged in, at all, save for the box fan...which the mattress is touching. It is only touching the fan, though, not the cord for it.

In fact, the only two things in the room are the mattress and the fan.
I'm not much for decoration.

The fan is brand new. Well, about a month old now, but still pretty new-ish.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 09-04-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Charter Member
Another possibility: Does the fan have a two-prong plug or a three-prong? If it's a three-prong, then there's a possibility that something's wired wrong in the outlet it's plugged into, resulting in the ground pin being electrified. An electrified ground pin would result in you getting a shock whenever you touched the fan case, even if you replaced the fan itself.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:19 PM
BANNED
Is this a 110v-omg-you're-gonna-die shock? or a static electricity shock? (I guess keep touching it and see if it stops :P) cuz the latter ones don't need a source. You're in arizona so the air must be dry. Dry air is when they get you. Buy a humidifier.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Ground the metal in the bed to the house ground and get rid of the static generating sheets. I lived in a really bad house once and eventually carried a resistor to touch to light switches before touching them. The living room rug was a super static generator.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Another possibility: Does the fan have a two-prong plug or a three-prong? If it's a three-prong, then there's a possibility that something's wired wrong in the outlet it's plugged into, resulting in the ground pin being electrified. An electrified ground pin would result in you getting a shock whenever you touched the fan case, even if you replaced the fan itself.
It's a two pronged one. Is that bad or good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Dubinsky View Post
Is this a 110v-omg-you're-gonna-die shock? or a static electricity shock? (I guess keep touching it and see if it stops :P) cuz the latter ones don't need a source. You're in arizona so the air must be dry. Dry air is when they get you. Buy a humidifier.
It's not at all like a static electricity shock. This is a full-blown, honest to God, electric shock..the type you get when you're accidently touching the prongs of something you're plugging in (which I've done before) or if you curiously stick your finger in a light socket (which I've done before--at a very young age).

I have the burn mark on my thumb to prove it. The burn mark that was put by the electric shock I got just about an hour ago...from my bed. So no, it's not just static electricity. This hurt like hell and bolted me to my feet in an instant, cradling my hand in my other hand because it was going numb and wouldn't stop hurting for awhile.

It was an electrical shock from something, and since the only thing in my room is the fan (that is plugged in), it's got to be from that, I'd figure, so I just pulled my mattress away from the fan (so it's no longer touching it).

I was just wondering if it's possible for the fan to be shocking me via my bedsprings..that's all, since that it what it seems to me to be the only thing it could be.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Quote:
It's a two pronged one. Is that bad or good?
The two slots could still be miswired. The wide slot should be neutral (white wire inside the outlet), and the narrow should be the hot (black wire). If you have a voltmeter, the narrow slot should have 120 Volts, and the neutral should be zero (it may have a few volts, but not 120).
Old 09-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Does your bed have metal legs? A nail in the floor could be making contact with a power cable under the floor and electrifying your bed.

Otherwise your fan case is electrified because of bad wiring somewhere. Unplug the fan and see if your bed shocks you. No shock and you know enough to not use that fan regardless if you can't sleep.

Last edited by Harmonious Discord; 09-04-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious Discord View Post
Does your bed have metal legs? A nail in the floor could be making contact with a power cable under the floor and electrifying your bed.

Otherwise your fan case is electrified because of bad wiring somewhere. Unplug the fan and see if your bed shocks you. No shock and you know enough to not use that fan regardless if you can't sleep.
My bed doesn't have legs at all. : p It sits on the floor. It's just a mattress on the floor.

Again, I'm not so sure it's the fan as much as it's the outlet. Because the last fan did this too (as I said above) and I bought this brand new one..and now it's doing the same thing.
Also, the shocks don't happen on a regular basis. The first one was about a month ago and the second was about two or three weeks ago. Then the one today...so I'll just have to see how it is now with the bed pulled far away.

Thank you for all your answers, everyone. I've moved the mattress away from the fan, so it's no longer touching. Hopefully there won't be any more problems or unpleasant shocks.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 PM
It includes the socket being wired wrong when I say bad wiring. The outlet wired wrong and the fan case if not double insulated can be electrified.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Could that also cause it to give random shocks then? Because I touch the fan often and it doesn't always give me a shock. I turn it on, off, sometimes I move it a bit...and never any shocks from touching it.

Just randomly, sometimes, it seems.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 09-04-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:35 PM
if the outlet was miswired (hot and neutral reversed) you could get a shock every time you touched the fan even when it was turned off. if that was the case even if you only touched the fan you would feel at least a tingle. if that wasn't happening all the time then it might not be that.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Is there anything metal on the floor beneath the mattress? Like a nail in the floor or something?

Was the fan touching your bed the second time you got shocked?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakai View Post
Is there anything metal on the floor beneath the mattress? Like a nail in the floor or something?

Was the fan touching your bed the second time you got shocked?
Not that I know of, no.

And yes.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Sleep disorder?

A few years ago, I had this, periodically. It felt like an electric shock coming through the mattress, and the first few times it happened, I wigged out, checking everything electric near my bed.

It went away after a few months.

Like this.

Last edited by Larry Mudd; 09-05-2009 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 09-05-2009, 02:32 AM
A sleep disorder wouldn't leave a burn mark on her thumb.

The wiring needs to be checked for that socket. I wouldn't put it off. Really.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Is it possible for you to post an image of the area in question?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:38 AM
Could it maybe be a spider bite?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:40 AM
Unplug every fucking thing in your room. Completely clear it out, if possible, of all electrical cords. Move your mattress to the other side of the room; ensure that the space is completely free and clear of any cords and any appliances whatsoever. Move your bed back to where it was, then begin with an elimination strategy. Plug in one of your appliances, taking care that the cord is completely clear of the bed. If that doesn't cause the shock, after a night, then plug in another item. Keep up with this until you discover what the shock is being produced by; that is the culprit. If you make sure every cord is completely clear of your bed, the problem should cease.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:27 AM
Another vote here for a mis-wired outlet. I've lived in an apartment where about half the outlets were incorrectly wired, meaning in the box in the wall where the guts of the outlet are, somebody put the white wire to the brass screw and the black wire to the silver one. In that place, the old, properly wired outlets were still bad because they were too loose to make good connections to the plugs I'd try to use in them. The newer, badly wired outlets held on to the plugs nice and tight but would still try to kill me.

Symptoms included being shocked by the outside metal case of some small appliances, (the worst one was in the kitchen: touch the toaster oven and the sink at the same time and you're in for a bad day) all the way to having an audio effect generator plugged into a bad outlet burn out when its case touched the case of another piece of equipment plugged into a properly wired outlet. Not good times.

This page shows a small device that tests the wiring of an outlet. They can be had for under 10$ from a big-box hardware store:
http://acmehowto.com/howto/homem...outlettest.php

If your outlet is wired the way I am guessing, the tester will indicate something like "Hot / Neutral Reversed".

The outlet tester I own like this has 3 prongs, though, so to test the wiring of older two-prong outlets I have to use a cheap multi-outlet power bar with the round 3rd prong chopped off (and I don't use it for any other purpose) and plug the tester into the power bar and the power bar into the two-prong outlet. In this case the tester would show "Open Ground" at the same time as "Hot / Neut Reversed", but the "open ground" indication is not the problem.

If there is a wiring problem, call your building's caretaker or maintenance person. Heck, your caretaker may already have one of those testers, the last and best place I rented at had a Super-Super who came and replaced the old "RAZOR ONLY" outlet in the bathroom with a modern GFCI anti-shock version.

Last edited by icbm; 09-05-2009 at 04:30 AM. Reason: egregious typsos
Old 09-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mudd View Post
Sleep disorder?

A few years ago, I had this, periodically. It felt like an electric shock coming through the mattress, and the first few times it happened, I wigged out, checking everything electric near my bed.

It went away after a few months.

Like this.
I actually am on the borderline of believing this might be it. Burn mark or no. : p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
Unplug every fucking thing in your room. Completely clear it out, if possible, of all electrical cords. Move your mattress to the other side of the room; ensure that the space is completely free and clear of any cords and any appliances whatsoever. Move your bed back to where it was, then begin with an elimination strategy. Plug in one of your appliances, taking care that the cord is completely clear of the bed. If that doesn't cause the shock, after a night, then plug in another item. Keep up with this until you discover what the shock is being produced by; that is the culprit. If you make sure every cord is completely clear of your bed, the problem should cease.
Thank you, I will do this.

Seriously, thank you, everyone, for your replies.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:35 AM
Tonight is terrible so far. I cannot sleep in my own bed. I keep getting a lot of mini-shocks or something. I had no idea what it could be...

...until something dawned on me.

The apartment complex I live in has recently been giving people who have renewed their lease some bonus gifts to help make them want to stay. Every year they do this. First time it was a security screen door. Second time it was a remodeled sink interface. This last year it was a ceiling fan in any room you choose.

I had the sudden sneaky suspicion that the apartment BELOW mine got one put in. In their bedroom...which is below mine (I live on the second floor). I thought about this for awhile as I lay there in bed getting little electrical charges. They weren't hurting, but they were annoying. I finally got up, lifted my mattress, and studyed every INCH of the floor. Hmmm...
...there is an odd CIRCULAR indentation under my mattress that I'm pretty sure was never there before. I tentively touched it and it's a little spongy. Like the ground underneath it is a little more hollow then that on the outside of the circular indentation. The indentation is about the size of an office water cooler, if it sat on a carpet for months and was then lifted off. The impression it would leave? About the size of this circular indentation. I also could have sworn I heard minor, low humming when I bent my ear down to it to listen.

I'm wondering, now, if all the shocks I've been getting, the ones that hurt and the ones that are just making my body feel ELECTRICALLY WEIRD are the cause of my neighbor downstairs having a ceiling fan put in his bedroom, and the maintenence guy having put it too far up or something. Up enough so that it's gone into MY bedroom some or far up enough to where the wires and electrical componets of it are hitting me sometimes. Is this possible?
If so, why wouldn't it ALWAYS shock me? Like, on a constant basis? And why would some hurt and some just be really low keyed and just annoying rather than huge?

Anyway, it's a sad time when one is actually scared to sleep in his own bed...but I am right now. I'm moving my mattress, for now, across the room, OFF of the indentation..until I can figure out what in the hell is going on. I plan to call emergency maitenence tomorrow. If they tell me the person below DID/DOES, in fact, have a ceiling fan, I think I'm going to have my answer. If not, I'm back at square one....
Old 09-19-2009, 05:40 AM
You seem pretty traumatized by this.

I sense a lawsuit in your near future.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:41 AM
Yes I would vote for bad wiring too.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts View Post
...there is an odd CIRCULAR indentation under my mattress that I'm pretty sure was never there before. I tentatively touched it and it's a little spongy. Like the ground underneath it is a little more hollow than that on the outside of the circular indentation. The indentation is about the size of an office water cooler, if it sat on a carpet for months and was then lifted off. The impression it would leave? About the size of this circular indentation. I also could have sworn I heard minor, low humming when I bent my ear down to it to listen.
Can you explain this a little more? It sounds like you have carpeting and there's a circular portion that feels like there is no floor below it. Is this the case?

Quote:
If so, why wouldn't it ALWAYS shock me? Like, on a constant basis? And why would some hurt and some just be really low keyed and just annoying rather than huge?
Sometimes they run the fan and other times the don't. Sometimes when they are running the fan, your bed happens to make better electrical contact with the spot/wires/whatever than at other times.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Please, keep us informed. I've been absolutely obsessed with your situation and wondering how it will turn out!.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Okay, my electrical engineering knowledge is a little rusty, but is it possible that the rotating magnetic field from the ceiling fan motor below is INDUCING a current in the bed springs?

Normally ceiling fans are hung below the ceiling, but what if for space reasons they installed the motor IN the ceiling? And normally beds are elevated a foot or more off the floor, but yours isn't. So it's conceivable that your metal bed springs might be only a few inches away from the source of a rapidly changing magnetic field. And when you touch anything that's grounded while you're in bed you give the induced current a place to go.

Last edited by The Hamster King; 09-19-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:06 PM
BANNED
I had a thought about your situation, but then figured the thread died so didn't post it.

If you bed was truly connected to 110V, then lying on it shouldn't actually shock you because there'd be no path for the current. It's like when a bird rests on a high-voltage line.

This might change if the voltage is caused by induction (as that would create a voltage across your bed), but overall it sounds a lot more like static (which could be created by a rotating device as well).
Old 09-20-2009, 03:38 AM
Get a cheap meter to read the voltage...

Also you could try grounding your mattress. Get some wire or an extension cord and strip back both ends of the wire and connect one end to the springs in the mattress and the other end to some metal plumbing. This is a temporary fix but should allow you to sleep until you can figure out where the power is coming from.

In reallity, you shouldnt sleep on the mattress til you figure this out. 110 volt isnt very dangerous but it could still kill you if youre unlucky.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Have a licensed electrician check out the wiring in the bedroom ASAP.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Charter Member
Posting to subscribe, and also to urge (as others have) you to have the outlet checked. 20ish years ago, I was living in a newly-renovated apartment while on an out of town assignment. I was holding a freshly-washed pan (one of those Corning glass saucepans) that was wet, and I set it down on the stovetop and YOW!!! I called the landlord and yep, the stove was attached to an improperly wired outlet. I think the reason it hadn't bothered me before then was some combination of the pan never being completely wet when I was using it, and the handle was a good insulator.

Good idea on the ceiling fan - can you knock on the downstairs neighbor's door and ask them about it? Tell them what's going on with you, and ask if they would mind helping you sleuth this (as in, you get zapped, you call them, they say whether it was running).
Old 09-23-2009, 02:05 PM
BANNED
Of course, the nerve-degeneration theory is still valid. That stuff can feel exactly like electric shocks, because, guess what, electric shocks feel the way they do because they affect nerves.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Charter Member
Bumping to see if you have any updates from your electrical sleuthing!

Before I bumped, I checked to see if you'd posted anything recently (you have - phew!).
Old 10-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member
This could be a combination of problems. To get a shock you must be between two different voltages - probably 110 and ground. It seems likely (as others have pointed out) that the wall outlet has the hot and neutral sides reversed, which could result in the outside of the fan being hot. How are you being grounded, though? It seems like the mattress itself may be grounded. Normally I would think that a mattress wouldn't conduct well enough to act as a ground, but perhaps some part of the downstairs ceiling fan installation is poking into a mattress spring.

Get your landlord to do something about this now. Your apartment is uninhabitable. If the landlord doesn't respond immediately, you could threaten to call your city's building inspector.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:26 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post

you could threaten to call your city's building inspector.
That's when my previous renter quit paying rent. Took a damn long time to evict her.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Any updates Idle Thoughts?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:40 PM
body shocks are what you are experiencing, i had them also, they were violent, bringing me out of a deep sleep. either in bed or in the lazy boy near the bed. while going for tests for sleep disorders that were pretty severe for me, the sleep doc said i had a body movement disorder, something like restless leg syndrome, which i thought was a joke, he gave me a drug called requip that quieted the nerves in my body down and that has seemed to solve the problem of the shocks. the shocks are just your body tuning itself down, most people do not have this because their nerves are working in a smooth shutdown way. some of us get these shocks because of some out of sync nerve progression. it isn't dangerous and usually subsides. but i know how you feel. sometimes i felt like i was being lifted up in the air, they were so violent. you have to go to a sleep disorder neurologist if you want to be taken seriously. i think you can find info on the web about it as well
Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member
Why do people keep missing the fact that Idle Thoughts had burns on his fingers? You don't get that from a neurological condition.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
Why do people keep missing the fact that Idle Thoughts had burns on his fingers? You don't get that from a neurological condition.
I don't think he or she is 100% sure about that. The scenario they describe makes it practically impossible to believe that actual electrical shocks are occurring as cloth makes a pretty good insulator, and 110-120 @ 15 AMPS is not going to be penetrating dry cloth, and the OP describes shocks as coming through or conducting through cloth. It's a lot more likely it's a nerve pain or related issue that feels just like an electrial shock.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Dubinsky View Post
Of course, the nerve-degeneration theory is still valid. That stuff can feel exactly like electric shocks, because, guess what, electric shocks feel the way they do because they affect nerves.
More and more, I'm fearing that this is it..that it's all in my head, or body..and nothing actually outside of it.

It hasn't happened for awhile, not since I moved my bed, although there are times (about two weeks ago) when I'll feel minor things, including something I can only describe as a constant, regular, inflow of twitches and mini-electric-like feelings jolting my body. Doesn't happen when I'm sitting up or standing, only when I'm laying down and only on my bed.

I meant to ask ages ago if the people below got a ceiling fan installed in the last three or four months but I keep forgetting and haven't been up to the office in about half a year.

But yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm starting to wonder if it's just some kind of sleep disorder or nerve damage or what not like what was suggested in here...

..if that was the case, though, why doesn't it happen all the time? Why only once or twice every month or two? You'd think it'd be more regular if it was a body issue or nerve thing...

Thank you, all, for keeping this bumped every so often, still trying to figure it out, and showing concern for it. Monday, for sure, I'm going to the office and asking about it.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1 View Post
body shocks are what you are experiencing, i had them also, they were violent, bringing me out of a deep sleep. either in bed or in the lazy boy near the bed. while going for tests for sleep disorders that were pretty severe for me, the sleep doc said i had a body movement disorder, something like restless leg syndrome, which i thought was a joke, he gave me a drug called requip that quieted the nerves in my body down and that has seemed to solve the problem of the shocks. the shocks are just your body tuning itself down, most people do not have this because their nerves are working in a smooth shutdown way. some of us get these shocks because of some out of sync nerve progression. it isn't dangerous and usually subsides. but i know how you feel. sometimes i felt like i was being lifted up in the air, they were so violent. you have to go to a sleep disorder neurologist if you want to be taken seriously. i think you can find info on the web about it as well
I don't know..the two times it happened my body was not tuning down..once was after a full nights rest, as dawn was breaking. My whole arm felt like what it feels like when an electric shock passes through it...it was unmistakeable, because I've had many shocks before. If it is nerves and the like, it's very realistic.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
I don't think he or she is 100% sure about that. The scenario they describe makes it practically impossible to believe that actual electrical shocks are occurring as cloth makes a pretty good insulator, and 110-120 @ 15 AMPS is not going to be penetrating dry cloth, and the OP describes shocks as coming through or conducting through cloth. It's a lot more likely it's a nerve pain or related issue that feels just like an electrial shock.

No cloth is on my mattress. I don't sleep wearing anything, nor do I use a cover sheet. It's just the bare mattress, with a deep, body-like, indentation that I have no doubt makes me close to touching the metal springs in the bed.

Does this make it more possible/probable I'm getting shocked via my bed, somehow, sometimes, by something?

Again, whatever it is, it only happens every so often, like once a month...if that..sometimes once every other month. That's only when it's a major shock that HURTS. Other times, more often (like once every two weeks or so), I have that feeling I said two posts up: Like my whole bed is activated by a live, electirc somthing. Makes my body thrumb, although it doesn't hurt, per se..it IS unpleasant feeling. It makes me twitch and do regular motions like lifting my arm up and down constantly in my bed. Sort of like giving me extremely high doses of energy...all while feeling little, tiny jolts.

When I get off the bed and sleep on the ground, it stops. Immediately. If it were nerve damage or restless leg/body syndrome, why wouldn't it keep up? It's only when I sleep in the now moved bed. Never anywhere else, never any time.

I really think there's just some sort of an electrical current running through that room somehow, and it's accessing my mattress, no matter where it is in the room.

Anyway, that's it for now.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:59 AM
If it's possible to lift up the carpet and take a look under the circular indentation, do that, or check with the neighbours about the ceiling fan. Otherwise, considering all the other steps you've taken, it might be time to visit your doctor.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:33 AM
while electrical problems can be intermittent, i would think they would be more frequent than once a month or couple weeks. also all the circumstances for electrical to be the cause (ceiling fan below above the ceiling, bed springs touching) are all real long shots to be true.

nerve problems are probably more likely. i've had nerve twinges and pains that feel like actual electric shocks. these can likely be circumstantial, your body has to be in just the right position, limbs and muscles positioned just the right way to put pressure on a nerve.

a doctor may be able to tell you how it might be possible for that to happen from nerves.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:16 PM
BANNED
Quote:
if that was the case, though, why doesn't it happen all the time? Why only once or twice every month or two? You'd think it'd be more regular if it was a body issue or nerve thing
I've had occasonally. Maybe three times in the past year. It would happen in my shoulder. Just like a single shock. So it doesn't have to be often. I haven't had it in a while, possibly because I've been taking mineral/vitamin supplements daily.

Quote:
Again, whatever it is, it only happens every so often, like once a month...if that..sometimes once every other month. That's only when it's a major shock that HURTS. Other times, more often (like once every two weeks or so), I have that feeling I said two posts up: Like my whole bed is activated by a live, electirc somthing. Makes my body thrumb, although it doesn't hurt, per se..it IS unpleasant feeling. It makes me twitch and do regular motions like lifting my arm up and down constantly in my bed. Sort of like giving me extremely high doses of energy...all while feeling little, tiny jolts.

When I get off the bed and sleep on the ground, it stops. Immediately. If it were nerve damage or restless leg/body syndrome, why wouldn't it keep up?
Instantly? I dunno. I've had really annoying cases of pins-and-needles (which I've also not had in a while), but those take a while to stop after I reposition myself.

Why don't you start a new thread with a title about nerves and see if there are people on here who know more about neurology than we do. (And post the link, btw.)

Last edited by Alex_Dubinsky; 10-11-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member
We've gone about as far as we can go on a message board to diagnose this problem. There are two hypotheses: a nerve condition and bad wiring. If the problem is the latter, it could kill you. You need to get someone with a voltmeter into your apartment ASAP to see whether it's the wiring. If it isn't the wiring, you need to see a doctor.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Quote:
No cloth is on my mattress. I don't sleep wearing anything, nor do I use a cover sheet. It's just the bare mattress, with a deep, body-like, indentation that I have no doubt makes me close to touching the metal springs in the bed.

Does this make it more possible/probable I'm getting shocked via my bed, somehow, sometimes, by something?
I'm talking about the cloth or fabric covering your mattress. Unless the cloth is wet household current is not going to be anywhere near strong enough to penetrate matress fabric.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost
nerve problems are probably more likely. i've had nerve twinges and pains that feel like actual electric shocks. these can likely be circumstantial, your body has to be in just the right position, limbs and muscles positioned just the right way to put pressure on a nerve.
Maybe the indentation you sleep in contributes to the nerve problems, if that's what it is. You could try flipping the mattress over or around, so you're not in a body-shaped hole.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:59 PM
I... I don't think this is what's been happening to her.