Old 09-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Recommend a subway sauce [for steak and cheese sub...]

Apologies if CS is not the right place. I'm asking for opinions, but this is about food so I thought CS might be, on balance, the right place.

And to explain the title. I am acknowledging that sauce recommendations might depend on the other ingredients.

I will also say that last time I visited, bewildered by the questioning style of the servers, I said no to sauce.

I love steak. I love cheese. I am intrigued by the American notion of combining the two (not yet well established into British ways*). Therefore the overwhelming favourite choice when I visit SubWay is that.

There is exactly one SubWay on the Isle of Man. It's inside a Shoprite store (which was once a safeway, and is also the place where I had my first ever job, stacking the shelves of the grocery aisle)

And I have, in my entire life, had exactly three SubWay subs. One in Bolton and two from the IOM SubWay.

So I lack experience of SubWay.

*we're still at steak on a plate with either chips [fat 'fries' only bearing that comparison by the fact that they are longer than they are wide, and are made of potato] or fried mushrooms, or onions, or both of the later] and some kind of runny grey sauce usually including peppercorns

Last edited by Lobsang; 09-11-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Something spicy, but also creamy. I don' visit Subway often so I am not an expert, but if there is a creamy horeseradish sauce available, go for that.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 PM
BANNED
Try the chipoltle southwest sauce---I would imagine it would be a nice compliment to the sub, just make sure not to get too much on your sandwich..............
Old 09-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Charter Member
I had the same dilemma as you the first time I tried a Subway cheesesteak. I asked the server for a recommendation, and he suggested the ranch dressing. Since that day, I have probably had over 100 Subway cheesesteaks with ranch dressing. Of course, I am not able to eat spicy foods, so the other suggestions in this thread wouldn't work for me. But I still think that a cheesesteak needs ranch dressing.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
Try the chipoltle southwest sauce---I would imagine it would be a nice compliment to the sub, just make sure not to get too much on your sandwich..............
looking at this link - http://recipezaar.com/Subways-Ch...st-Sauce-82591 It looks like a nice sauce. (So does Horseradish Aesiron. I know of it because it goes well with battered fish)

My follow-up question is - how do you pronounce it? Is it - 'chip'-'ol'-'tul'?

I want to get it right so as not to suffer the temporary embarrassment.

ETA: SpoilerVirgin Your reply came in while I was typing mine. Ranch dressing also sounds good. in fact, with S&C almost anything might be good. I am not usually a fan of spiciness but I can tolerate (even enjoy) it to a certain degree.

Last edited by Lobsang; 09-11-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 PM
I was going to suggest the ranch dressing as well, because that's what I usually choose, but chipotle would be equally good. If you're not in the mood for creamy, then the sweet onion is quite awesome.

It's pronounced chip-oh-tlay, BTW.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:05 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsang View Post
looking at this link - http://recipezaar.com/Subways-Ch...st-Sauce-82591 It looks like a nice sauce. (So does Horseradish Aesiron. I know of it because it goes well with battered fish)

My follow-up question is - how do you pronounce it? Is it - 'chip'-'ol'-'tul'?

I want to get it right so as not to suffer the temporary embarrassment.

ETA: SpoilerVirgin Your reply came in while I was typing mine. Ranch dressing also sounds good. in fact, with S&C almost anything might be good. I am not usually a fan of spiciness but I can tolerate (even enjoy) it to a certain degree.
Chip-Olt-Lay (its a type of roasted pepper that is currently very popular in Mexican and Tex-Mex cusine, and Subways Chipoltle sauce is very mild, and NOT highly spicy)

ETA---Mahna Mahna beat me to the draw.............

Last edited by MPB in Salt Lake; 09-11-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:19 PM
The Southwest Chipotle sauce DEFINITELY is one of my favorites.
I recommend it as well as I love the nice spice it has to it.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Elephant Whisperer
You've come to the right place. I am forever haunting the 24-hour Subway here over by Sukhumvit Soi 33/1 at 3 or 4am after a long night in the bars. I always order the foot-long Steak and Cheese sub, always with double meat and extra cheese. And I always have it with ... Southwest sauce. Mmmmmm.

(They don't call it Chipotle here, probably because Southwest is already hard enough for them to pronounce.)

Last edited by Siam Sam; 09-11-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
Chip-Olt-Lay (its a type of roasted pepper that is currently very popular in Mexican and Tex-Mex cusine, and Subways Chipoltle sauce is very mild, and NOT highly spicy)
Specifically, it's a smoked jalapeno. It has become pretty ubiquitous and popular since the late 90s, early 00s in the US, but it's always been a staple in Mexican cooking. It dates back to the Aztecs, supposedly.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:46 PM
I like Subway's Sweet Onion sauce (it might be worth a try on the steak and cheese!)
Old 09-12-2009, 12:43 AM
For what it's worth the Chipotle was originally offered by Subway specifically for the steak and cheese. It was add to the menu as the 'Southwest steak and cheese', but a couple years ago they started asking what sauce you want on any sub, rather than assuming certain ones for certain sub unless you told the different.

And buy the way, many of the deli type topping don't work very well on the steak and cheese. Lettuce, pickles, cucs and olives are weird and wrong. Onions green peppers, hot peppers, are great and maybe tomatoes for some people, but not for me.

Last edited by wolfman; 09-12-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:29 AM
Gonna add another vote for the chipotle southwest, since that's what the steak and cheese was designed for. I used to work at Subway, and that was one of the combos that became second nature to me. I don't think it's terribly spicy--I had it all the time, and I'm a complete baby when it comes to spice--but YMMV. (One of my coworkers there would make a fantastic taco salad using doritos, all the veggies, and chipotle southwest sauce. Om nom nom.)

Ranch dressing is also a good suggestion.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:17 AM
Elephant Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
For what it's worth the Chipotle was originally offered by Subway specifically for the steak and cheese. It was add to the menu as the 'Southwest steak and cheese', but a couple years ago they started asking what sauce you want on any sub, rather than assuming certain ones for certain sub unless you told the different.

And buy the way, many of the deli type topping don't work very well on the steak and cheese. Lettuce, pickles, cucs and olives are weird and wrong. Onions green peppers, hot peppers, are great and maybe tomatoes for some people, but not for me.
Well, I do like pickles on mine. I'll get those, plus onions and green peppers. (Oddly enough, Subway in Thailand does not offer hot peppers.)
Old 09-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Charter Member
If I'm going to Subway for lunch in work, I always have Southwest Chipotle with my steak and cheese. It's the best with it by far IMO.

MMMM, my hungover stomach is craving subway now but I have the makings of a dirty big fry up in the fridge
Old 09-12-2009, 11:35 AM
I went with the Southwest. But they just called it 'Southwest' on the tub so I didn't need to attempt the pronunciation

It was very nice!

ETA: I had green peppers and gherkin (I think you guys refer to that as pickle)

Last edited by Lobsang; 09-12-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:03 PM
You're playing the hand you've been dealt, I understand, but Subway is considered (by me, at least) a fairly poor exemplar of American sub sandwiches. I find their meat quality to be pretty bad, and they skimp on the fillings, IME (is that kind of a perverse pair of complaints? Maybe). I'd much rather see you make a steak sandwich at home if that were an option.

You probably know this, and obviously people should combine as they wish, but a "proper" Philadelphia cheesesteak would have nothing other than some combination of beef, onions, peppers, and provolone (or Cheez Wiz).
Old 09-12-2009, 12:30 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
Quote:

(which was once a safeway, and is also the place where I had my first ever job, stacking the shelves of the grocery aisle)
You have Safeway grocery stores on the Isle of Man? I thought they were only in the Southern USA.
Bet you haven't got a Piggly Wiggly, though.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Elephant Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
You have Safeway grocery stores on the Isle of Man? I thought they were only in the Southern USA.
There's a Safeway in Honolulu, in the Manoa Valley. I'm pretty sure it's part of the chain.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:47 PM
I've never seen a Safeway in my corner of the South. I shopped at them when I lived in Nebraska, though.

I'll have to try horseradish on fish. Never thought of that before, but that sounds delicious.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Elephant Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huerta88 View Post
and they skimp on the fillings, IME
I always order double meat. On a steak and cheese footlong, they can't even get the bread to close. It's really packed in.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:53 PM
I realize they are probably a poor example of an American sub, but like you say, it's the hand I've been dealt.

I'd like to make one at home - but there I have an even worse situation - the bread. Locally bought bread is almost never as fresh as it tends to be in England (where I grew up and occasionally visit). I wonder if I can buy bread from Subway?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I always order double meat. On a steak and cheese footlong, they can't even get the bread to close. It's really packed in.
You can order double meat??? I'm so doing that next time.

Also, a pet peeve of mine of general sandwich creation (Mcdonalds, KFC etc..) is seeming to be incapable of getting all the parts in the middle.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm pretty sure you can buy just the bread.

So far as Subway being a bad sub shop, I don't really get it. It's not fantastic, but it's horrible, either. It's a sub shop specializing in cold cuts for the most part. It's pretty hard to screw up.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:43 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
Quote:
Watch out. Knowing Sam, there are Thai Bar Girls involved somehow.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Another vote for Sweet Onion sauce, also - stuff the rest of the salad, all that's required for a perfect steak and cheese sub is tomato and onion.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Elephant Whisperer
Quote:
I can't say if it's offered everywhere, but for the equivalent of 2 or 3 bucks American here, you can get double meat on a footlong, and maybe $1.50 for extra cheese. (Half those amounts for the 6" subs, but I always go for the footlong.) I'll tell ya, that's one satisfying sandwich, especially at 4am.

Quote:
No, no, we're talking different meat here.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesiron View Post
So far as Subway being a bad sub shop, I don't really get it. It's not fantastic, but it's horrible, either. It's a sub shop specializing in cold cuts for the most part. It's pretty hard to screw up.
They're pretty skimpy with their portions, their variety of deli meats is pretty abysmal compared to whats available at other lunch counters where I live (Northeast, USA), and they put the stems of banana peppers on the subs. What that means is that I'll eat there but not if there is any sub/pizza shop nearby too. At least they're not as bad as Quiznos (No provolone, everything run through an oven).

For the OP: sweet onion, southwest chipotle, or buffalo sauce. If they have Worcestershire sauce, that's pretty good in moderation on a steak and cheese sandwich too.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Skeezix View Post
They're pretty skimpy with their portions, their variety of deli meats is pretty abysmal compared to whats available at other lunch counters where I live (Northeast, USA), and they put the stems of banana peppers on the subs. What that means is that I'll eat there but not if there is any sub/pizza shop nearby too. At least they're not as bad as Quiznos (No provolone, everything run through an oven).
Yeah, that's what I was headed for. Realizing the OP doesn't have access to the average Italian deli or neighborhood sandwich shop, Subway usually turns up notably below those standards. I always have the feeling the sandwiches are kind of limp, soggy, doughy. But, I've obviously partaken in a pinch.

The Subway "made fresh daily" bread, by the way, is a bit of a bait and switch. Yes, it's put in baking ovens daily. But it's made, I am pretty sure, from pre-fab frozen dough that's shipped in. I've never been that impressed.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Subway is no place for a steak n cheese or an Italian for that matter.

But, since that's what we have to work with.

Chipolte(southwest) is pretty much what goes with it well.

I on the other hand prefer green pepper, onion, jalapenos, American Cheese, Salt Pepper and Mayonnaise. Subway has no mushrooms, other wise I get that too.

Double meat is or even one extra lil' box of meat is pretty standard for me too, otherwise it's all bread. But, filling still.

The rolls at subway are frozen and need to be humidified before baking. They cost as much as a sandwich so, might as well buy the whole sandwich there. I had worked at Subway once. They count the breads.

You can make it at home with fresh store bought Italian or French Bread loaves.
The problem is the meat, if you can't slice a steak thinly with some kinda machine, you'll have to get a butcher to do it. It has to be a fresh steak. Lunch meat or roast beef aint gonna do it. Better off just getting steak-ums.

Just get a pile of shredded steak(sirloin or similar), season with a lil salt n pepper, diced onions, green pepper mushrooms and jalapenos, fry up in a bit of oil till it looks cooked then toss a couple slices of cheese on it while it frying till cheese melty, then scoop up into your bread. Add some mayo or your fav sauce. A1 steak sauce is good too. Or a thicken some whorchester sauce with arrowroot.

You can use some beef stock and onions for a french dip style.

Its important to get GOOD BREAD like amiroso rolls or the fresh baked big loaves, not those fake hoagie white bread rolls. Subway bread is tolerable but, it is hardly really good, compared to the better bread types.

Have fun!
Old 09-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Elephant Whisperer
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, no, we're talking different meat here.
Of course, I probably should point out that with Thai bargirls, you can also get double meat for a little extra cash.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:57 AM
Elephant Whisperer
So I'm in Subway again at 3:30am this morning (Friday morning), and I have my wonderful foot-long steak and cheese -- with double meat and extra cheese -- and I choose the Southwest sauce, and what do I see on the bottle? It says: "Chipotle Southwest." I never noticed the "chipotle" before, but then I'd never paid attention to the bottle itself. It simply jumped out at me this time. The list taped to the Plexiglass just says "Southwest."

And I can tell you now that here, double meat for a foot-long is 90 baht (US$2.65) and extra cheese 20 baht (59 cents). Man, that becomes one big-ass sandwich, let me tell ya.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Charter Member
I used to wonder what people's problem with Subway was. I've always thought they made good sandwiches.

That is until a friend of mine took me to a real sub shop. Now that I've been awakened, I can't eat that garb they sell at Subway anymore. Wich kind of sucks because Subway is so much cheaper and convenient to go to.

Should've swallowed the blue pill dammit!!
Old 09-18-2009, 12:09 PM
I always liked the A1 sauce on the steak and cheese. Not sure if they still have it, though.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKES View Post
I used to wonder what people's problem with Subway was. I've always thought they made good sandwiches.

That is until a friend of mine took me to a real sub shop. Now that I've been awakened, I can't eat that garb they sell at Subway anymore. Wich kind of sucks because Subway is so much cheaper and convenient to go to.

Should've swallowed the blue pill dammit!!
IMHO, Subway is to sandwiches as McDonald's is to burgers or Taco Bell is to "Mexican" food: a fairly decent place to eat once in a while, but they're all over the damn place, they have competitors that taste significantly better, and they don't really have to try harder because so many people eat there by default (because they're so ubiquitous and so heavily advertised).
Old 11-12-2017, 12:03 AM
I randomly stumbled across this forum and I would just like to say That as a 19 year old who works at subway and loves The Steak and Cheese sandwich:
1. I get the italian herb and cheese bread
2. I get the pepper jack cheese
3. I put onions and peppers on it AND then I toast it (with the meat of course)
4. I put olives on after it is toasted
5. I use chipotle southwest AND Ranch
6. Lastly..... I top it off with a whole bunch of Parmesan cheese because parmesan cheese makes everything better!

As not a lot of people realize, we sometimes get bored with the classics as do some customers and people will come up with other random sandwiches, like a spicy italian but with Marinara sauce (from the meatballs) on flatbread and toasted with cheese and olives, onions, peppers, and banana peppers and end up with parmesan at the end to make a pizza sandwich, or we make random sandwiches like tuna with bacon,italian bmt with bacon or turkey instead of ham, and stuff like that. I Honestly find most of my new combinations from Walmart employees who are on their lunch breaks. lmao But anyone who comes to subway has the right to ask for any of our topping on their sandwich, even the meatball marinara sauce.

Last edited by Subwaygirl; 11-12-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:17 AM
Quote:
There is exactly one SubWay on the Isle of Man. It's inside a Shoprite store (which was once a safeway, and is also the place where I had my first ever job, stacking the shelves of the grocery aisle)

And I have, in my entire life, had exactly three SubWay subs. One in Bolton and two from the IOM SubWay.

So I lack experience of SubWay.
I'm looking at Google Earth, which shows two Subway restaurants on the island, one in Douglas and one in Peel. This destroys my image of IOM as a quaint antiquity. Anyway, if it's anything like the Subway shops here in Korea, they probably have "Southwest sauce," which is chipotle with some mixture of mayonnaise and ketchup. You might also want to try A-1 or Heinz 57, both of which combine ketchup with Worcestershire sauce, and I think Heinz adds some kind of mango extract as well.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:28 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
I'm looking at Google Earth, which shows two Subway restaurants on the island, one in Douglas and one in Peel.
They must have expanded in the eight years since the OP was posted.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
They must have expanded in the eight years since the OP was posted.
It's now called Isle of Men, hey-ohhhhh!
Old 11-12-2017, 02:11 AM
Okay, it's two in the morning and now I'm craving a cheesesteak. Dammit. (I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow, if possible)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 11-12-2017 at 02:12 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:53 AM
Elephant Whisperer
The steak and cheese at the Subways in Thailand are worlds better than the ones here. But the ones here are not bad.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:28 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subwaygirl View Post
I randomly stumbled across this forum and I would just like to say That as a 19 year old who works at subway and loves The Steak and Cheese sandwich:
1. I get the italian herb and cheese bread
2. I get the pepper jack cheese
3. I put onions and peppers on it AND then I toast it (with the meat of course)
4. I put olives on after it is toasted
5. I use chipotle southwest AND Ranch
6. Lastly..... I top it off with a whole bunch of Parmesan cheese because parmesan cheese makes everything better!

As not a lot of people realize, we sometimes get bored with the classics as do some customers and people will come up with other random sandwiches, like a spicy italian but with Marinara sauce (from the meatballs) on flatbread and toasted with cheese and olives, onions, peppers, and banana peppers and end up with parmesan at the end to make a pizza sandwich, or we make random sandwiches like tuna with bacon,italian bmt with bacon or turkey instead of ham, and stuff like that. I Honestly find most of my new combinations from Walmart employees who are on their lunch breaks. lmao But anyone who comes to subway has the right to ask for any of our topping on their sandwich, even the meatball marinara sauce.
Pretty good for a zombie revival, even if it does flirt with being a commercial.

Welcome aboard, Subwaygirl. Do consider sticking around.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Quote:
There's a Safeway in Honolulu, in the Manoa Valley. I'm pretty sure it's part of the chain.
There are multiple Safeways on Oahu. One just two block from my house in Mililani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
I've never seen a Safeway in my corner of the South. I shopped at them when I lived in Nebraska, though.

I'll have to try horseradish on fish. Never thought of that before, but that sounds delicious.
Of note, there are/were Safeways in Saudi Arabia. I shopped at one in Jeddah for a couple of years.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:00 AM
Elephant Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
There are multiple Safeways on Oahu. One just two block from my house in Mililani.
Yes, since returning to Hawaii, I've seen them on Beretania and Kapahulu streets in Honolulu also.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 11-15-2017 at 12:01 AM.