Old 09-22-2009, 04:44 PM
If You Saw Someone With Pants Unzipped....

.... would you go up to them and softly tell 'em if they were a complete stranger?

How about if they were a complete stranger and the opposite sex?

Thanks

Q
Old 09-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Hell yes, and I have before. It's only polite!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Well I wish someone had done that for me today. I went to my orthopaedist with my shorts unzipped, then went out to eat after that.

Maybe no one was checking out my crotchal region?

Quasi
Old 09-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
.... would you go up to them and softly tell 'em if they were a complete stranger?

How about if they were a complete stranger and the opposite sex?

Thanks

Q
"Your flies are undone" is a wonderful ice-breaker.

I can't even begin to calculate how many times I've used that line.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Well it depends. Is it a man or a woman? Is the toad still in the hole, so to speak?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
Is the toad still in the hole, so to speak?

I would drop a hint to anyone I saw with an open fly if at all possible.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:24 PM
In my younger days, we used to say "xyz", meaning "check your zipper", although I don't know how "x" came to mean a check-mark?

But Chez?

"Flies", plural, in the UK?

Or am I not getting the joke?

(Sorry! I'm a bit slow on the uptake at times!)

Q

Last edited by Quasimodem; 09-22-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
Well it depends. Is it a man or a woman? Is the toad still in the hole, so to speak?

I have NEVER heard that expression!

Quasi
Old 09-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Quote:
But Chez?

Or am I not getting the joke?
There may be regional variations regarding 'fly' versus 'flies', but I always use the latter.

Which is maybe why my ice-breaker doesn't always break the ice.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:35 PM
If a verbal alert is not possible without drawing undue attention, I have discreetly passed a quick note to those in need (either sex)
Old 09-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Quote:
In my younger days, we used to say "xyz", meaning "check your zipper", although I don't know how "x" came to mean a check-mark?
I always believed it to be from "Examine Your Zipper". "XYZ, PDQ!"
Old 09-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
I always believed it to be from "Examine Your Zipper". "XYZ, PDQ!"
I think you are correct, gigi! Makes more sense that way.

Q
Old 09-22-2009, 06:41 PM
In the 80s when people were still wearing short shorts, there was a guy enjoying our local arts festival whose penis peeked out of the bottom of his shorts.

My friend started laughing and pointed it out. I started laughing and asked if we should alert said man. My friend(guy) was like "I'm not telling him. You tell him." I(guy) responded with "I'm not gonna tell him". There was no Mikey. He went unalerted.

Today we would call this a dick slip.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:06 PM
True Story

Back when I was in the 7th grade (that would have been 1963, or therabouts) I played elementary school basketball, and yep, we wore short shorts then.

Anyway, my principal took me aside and showed me what a jock strap was.

I guess those things existed in Germany (where I was born and lived till age 11), but somehow I musta missed it in the transition and became a young "dick-slipper"!

Quasi
Old 09-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Charter Member
Not an open zipper, but a similar story. I was doing a job at American Embassy Tunis and somehow managed to be invited to an open house at the Ambassador's residence (a beautiful place, by the way). Mrs. Ambassador swept into the room and started flitting about greeting people. Problem was, her blouse was buttoned at the top and tucked in at the bottom, but the rest was open. Not a big deal view-wise, but she's - you know- the Ambassador's wife. Apparently, everyone was afraid to say something to her, so I (as the absolutely lowest carving on the totem pole) walked up and said, "excuse me ma'am, may I have a word with you?" She was very grateful.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Somebody that just enters the area gets a private heads up.

Somebody that's been giving a speech on stage and is just leaving I say nothing. It's best that they can hope it happened somewhere besides on stage.

Somebody that's obnoxious gets no warning unless they are coming off stage after giving a speech.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:46 PM
I've told all kinds of people about all kinds of embarrassing stuff, so why exactly don't I get it back in karma? I don't know how long I went with my skirt tucked into my underwear at work once and NOBODY SAID A THING. Not strangers, coworkers! (And homeless guys! Although, I have to admit, they could have been trying to get my attention and I figured they were just harassing me again and ignored them.)
Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Ah yes the woman leaving the restroom with toilet paper trailing out from under the skirt. That's always a good one. Note I'm not talking about toilet paper stuck to the shoe.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:54 PM
I'd tell him/her quietly.

I once overheard my 2-year old brother (20 and a half years younger than I am) telling my new husband: "Hey, ton magasin est ouvert!" That's when I learned that "Your store is open" was a code for "your fly is unzipped" in my part of the world. Guess it had never arisen as an issue in my life till then.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodIndigo1 View Post
I'd tell him/her quietly.

I once overheard my 2-year old brother (20 and a half years younger than I am) telling my new husband: "Hey, ton magasin est ouvert!" That's when I learned that "Your store is open" was a code for "your fly is unzipped" in my part of the world. Guess it had never arisen as an issue in my life till then.
Your barn door's open.
or
Your cows are getting out.
or
Your sheep are getting out.

Last edited by Harmonious Discord; 09-22-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:41 PM
You have... multiple cows in there?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh, man!

I just remembered I'd noticed one of the other engineers at work with an unzip situation going on... and had immediately gotten distracted by another in an endless series of emergencies. Thereafter forgetting to tell the poor guy, leaving him roaming around with improved ventilation all day. D'oh.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez Guevara View Post
"Your flies are undone" is a wonderful ice-breaker.

I can't even begin to calculate how many times I've used that line.
Have you tried "Would you like me to zip up your fly?"
Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I would never tell anyone. . .again.
Years ago at work I am sitting at my desk, male co-worker walks in the office. I see immediately that his fly is open; especially since the height of my vision, seated, is on level with his crotch. He stops at my desk to say hello and I very very very quietly tell him his fly is down. He says at the top of his lungs: "Well what the Hell were you doing look'n there?"
Old 09-22-2009, 11:37 PM
I once had a very young female coworker in this situation. She already wore fairly revealing clothes, so I was really surprised to see her turn scarlet when I told her her fly was down. Maybe she thought I was looking, I don't know. I definitely wasn't interested!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:20 AM
I once had to knock on my neighbor's door for some reason. He came to the door wearing only a pair of jeans, with the tip of his penis peeking out of the top. I did my best not to peek back.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:43 AM
Charter Member
I'm a profiler myself. If the person is well groomed/well dressed (approachable)
Then sure, I'll give him/her a heads up.

Or is it heads down?

Ironically, if it's a friend, I can easily see myself NOT telling them for the comedic value.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Have you tried "Would you like me to zip up your fly?"
Muffin?

I want a YouTube Vid if you ever do that!

Q
Old 09-23-2009, 04:31 AM
Ya know, sometimes I think I am TOO Gay.
You didn't specify if it was intentional or not...that would, of course, determine my answer.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:00 AM
Male: "Do you need help undressing?"

Female: not my problem.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:13 AM
If it's a female, I'll try to let her know discretely, so far all have been appreciative. I know I am when it happens to me. If it's a guy, I just say "Dude. Fly." They don't seem to mind.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:26 AM
BANNED
The only polite thing to do is slap a sign on their back that says "Goose me"
Old 09-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Charter Member
I once sat through an entire Philosophy lecture in college wherein the professor not only had his fly down, but his shirt sticking through it. Nobody told him (how would you do that in front of the whole class?)
Old 09-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post
You didn't specify if it was intentional or not...that would, of course, determine my answer.
That would be my only fear if it was a guy I didn't know. That it was just step one in a three-step flashing process. I guess I'd have my answer depending on his reaction (blushing and a quick zip versus a nice slow lick lip).

I normally tell people about their zippers, tags attached to their clothes, TP on the heel and all that, but sometimes I just can't get to them before they walk past or I chicken out out of shyness. I feel awful when I see but don't tell them.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Wouldn't YKK make more sense?

Quote:
Yes. 'Flying low' is perhaps the most widely heard euphemism I've encountered in the UK. Whether I use it depends entirely on the situation.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:44 AM
I had a Physics teacher in high school who would regularly "forget" to pull up his fly. I use quotes because many of us thought it might have been intentional, although he was absent-minded in other ways as well. Being high school kids, we had no qualms about letting him know immediately. One time, he had the nerve to scold us for being so direct about it, instead of being dicreet. He gave us an example of how one woman informed him in an indirect way:

"It must be getting cold down south."

Of course he admitted that he didn't get the hint by responding with: "Yeah, it gets chilly down there sometimes."
Old 09-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Shit, what would you want someone to do? If you noticed it, it's likely others have too. I'd want to be told. So I tell people. That goes for spinach in teeth, boogers in nose, etc. The person telling you has found a way to connect with you on a personal level and likely is empathetic. Others may not be. We all have these things happen, and it takes a little empathy to make sure that we're looking our best.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
I once sat through an entire Philosophy lecture in college wherein the professor not only had his fly down, but his shirt sticking through it. Nobody told him (how would you do that in front of the whole class?)
Yeah, but we're talking about normal humans, not Philosophy profs.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
Do you remember the lecture? Was it about the reluctance of people getting involved in situations? Could it have been an experiment, or perhaps an object lesson?
Old 09-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Charter Member
I'll tell strangers of either sex about anything like that. Dragging TP, unzipped fly, tag still attached to new clothes, shirt inside out, pretty much anything.

I hope people would do the same for me. They have done the same. Once I was just about to step into an interview and a kind person told me I had a big rip in the back of my black dress. I had white undies on too. It didn't help my nerves any, and I couldn't do anything to fix it, but I did back out of the room upon leaving!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I had a pair of pants in college that had a broken zipper that wouldn't stay up. I have a bit of an absent-minded professor tendency, so I'd never noticed. The one guy who told me had a problem, where he didn't know the volume of his own voice. (Other symptoms led me to believe he might have Asperger's). He tried to tell me discretely when he passed me in an otherwise empty hallway, but I'm sure people in the classrooms could have heard him if they happened to be paying attention...

As for me, I usually don't notice unless you happen to be a hot girl. And then I'm probably too tongue-tied from the hotness to tell you...
Old 09-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Charter Member
"Do you think you could stop staring at my special man-spot long enough to give me my messages?" - Butch Patterson, Private Dick

(I strongly recommend youtubing Butch Patterson, if you have nothing better to do this afternoon.) Oh yeah, the OP - yeah, I tell people. I couch it in fancy terms like, "Hey, your fly is unzipped."
Old 09-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Lorax View Post
If it's a female, I'll try to let her know discretely
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
He tried to tell me discretely
Discreetly.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
Discreetly.
Short but perhaps helpful aside: I always remember the difference because discrete means something like separate and distinct, and the e's are separated in the spelling.

I think it's even more embarrassing to tell a stranger that you are interacting with that they have a booger hanging, or even worse, that they've had a feminine hygiene accident. I try to do that too though.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:23 AM
Would always mention if I notice...

our favourite is "the barn doors open"

to which the correct response is "makes no difference if the horse is dead"
Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 AM
I was once at karaoke and this woman walked up to the stage to sing. As she passed me I saw that the entirety of her ass was sticking out because her skirt had sort of folded up on itself and, for some reason, she had decided that a mini-skirt obviously meant that she should go commando. I tried to get her attention to tell her that she was exposing herself but she just wouldn't look in my direction so I wasn't able to let her know. At the end of her song (which involved lots of dancing and spinning, exposing herself to everyone about 6 times) the DJ walked up behind her and pulled her skirt down for her. It was both the most embarrassing and most hilarious thing I had seen in a long time.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Charter Member
Hmm, mini-skirt and no undies? Perhaps she wasn't too embarrassed at being, well, bare-assed.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious Discord View Post
Ah yes the woman leaving the restroom with toilet paper trailing out from under the skirt. That's always a good one. Note I'm not talking about toilet paper stuck to the shoe.
I love the skirt tucked into the nylons/pantyhose/tights look. Where you can see the ass.

I did that about a month ago and one of my coworkers was very kind to let me know before I was somewhere the customers could see me.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Zip up your doodah!
Don't be risque.
My, oh, my
What a thing to display!
Plenty of people
Looking your way.
Zip up your doodah!
It's cold out today!
Old 09-26-2009, 01:34 AM
Screwing the unscrutable.
Anyone remember when Johnny Carson came out for his monologue on the old Tonight Show with his fly open?

As soon as the director realized it, he had the camera operator zoom in until the fly was no longer in the picture. This gave a rather unnatural view of Johnny (if you were a regular watcher) - and you could see Carson glancing over at the monitor several times, wondering why the picture was zoomed in?

After the firrst commercial break Carson and McMahon really had a good laugh over that.

Proud Member of the SDMB "99'ers"!