Old 10-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Why does Paris Hilton have a slut reputation?

Yes, she has slept with a lot of guys. But so have many Hollywood types. Is it because of her sex tape? Other female celebs have those too such as Kim Kardashian and Pam Anderson but they don't get the same rep.

It doesn't bother me she has the slut rep, I just find it interesting that this is pinned on her and not other female celebs. Maybe it's because Hilton doesn't seem to have a job other than being famous.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Maybe it's because Hilton doesn't seem to have a job other than being famous.
This. Lots of Hollywood types enjoy being sluts as a hobby, but with her, it seems to be a full time job.

Last edited by Alessan; 10-13-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:54 PM
She actually makes a ton of money endorsing stuff. In 06-07 she made $22 mil from endorsements.

http://thesmokinggun.com/archive...092paris1.html

This is a funny document, her endorsements are on the last 2 pages.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:55 PM
People don't think Kim Kardashian and Pam Anderson are sluts?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't hear a ton of slut jokes about Anderson and Kardashian like I do about Hilton. I'm sure nobody thinks they are virgins.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:58 PM
But you don't get fame from endorsing stuff, you get endorsements from being famous -- often, but not always, based on some sort of accomplishment.

Even before the sex tape and the reality show, Paris and her sister (remember her?) attracted notoriety as millionaire party girls. While party girl doesn't equal slut, it isn't a huge leap of the imagination. The sex tape just confirmed an image many people already had of her.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:59 PM
I Am the One Who Bans
Her reputation probably isn't as bad as it was a couple of years ago because it seems like she's been fairly quiet. But before that, there was the sex tape, the sleeping around, and (if I remember right) discovery of herpes medication in a storage locker she lost control of... which will tend to give you a reputation.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Charter Member
You tout her endorsements...but her endorsements come to her because of her "brand" - and the "Paris Hilton brand" is of a rich, spoiled, vapid...well, you do the math. It is my understanding that she is pretty articulate outside her persona...

I guess I am surprised by the need for the OP - perhaps I am being whooshed?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:04 PM
She has the #1 reputation as a slut because that's why she's famous. Pamela Anderson was a model and (heh) actress. Kim Kardashian's not the butt of AS many jokes simply because she's not AS famous as Paris.

Paris Hilton rose to semi-stardom for being a trashy rich party girl and became a household name after her sex tape leaked.
I just list the endorsements because I was surprised she makes that much money. Can't say whether or not she's really smart outside of her party girl image.
Quote:
I don't hear a ton of slut jokes about Anderson and Kardashian like I do about Hilton. I'm sure nobody thinks they are virgins.
I don't hear jokes about Pam Anderson because I don't hear anything about Pam Anderson. Regarding Kardashian, on the other hand, I guess this means you don't watch The Soup. That's probably a good thing.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:05 PM
I dunno, but I will admit that I rather enjoyed Paris's striptease scene in the 2005 version of House of Wax. Her subsequent death scene sort of ruined it, though.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:07 PM
My family loves to watch the Soup, I watch it now and then. I guess she's a big target for them? I noticed her on there a few times.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Other female celebs have those too such as Kim Kardashian and Pam Anderson but they don't get the same rep.
This is where you lost me.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Quote:
I just list the endorsements because I was surprised she makes that much money. Can't say whether or not she's really smart outside of her party girl image.
I think anyone who can make millions while having absolutely no talent or marketable skills purely on cultivating their image has to have SOME brains. You don't accidentally become a millionaire by being a rich whore.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Her talent is a lot of like a model - her talent is basically her looks. I'm sure she has a real good manager/agent too.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Her talent is a lot of like a model - her talent is basically her looks. I'm sure she has a real good manager/agent too.
She's not really very hot, you can find tons of girls hotter than her any weekend at the club. While i certainly wouldn't kick her out of bed shes not "im so hot i make millions" level of hot.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
Kim Kardashian's not the butt of AS many jokes...
I see what you did there.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
You don't accidentally become a millionaire by being a rich whore.
Maybe not, but she was a 'rich whore' already - she made MORE money IN SPITE OF that reputation. She originally made her money the old fashioned way - by coming out of her mother's womb.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Is it because of her sex tape?
I would assume so. No one had heard of her before the sex tape. And the cynical folks of the world assumed it was planned specifically in order to propel her into the limeiight.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Quote:
. You don't accidentally become a millionaire by being a rich whore.
No, you do it by being able to hire people to make money for you. Say what you want about Paris, but her publicists have deserved every cent they've made, and then some.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Actually, now that I think of it - has she actually made millions? I mean, net after the money she spent to become famous.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Actually, now that I think of it - has she actually made millions? I mean, net after the money she spent to become famous.
Yes, she makes a ton more now than she has coming as inheritance. What do you mean spent? she spent money partying and whoring it up, then released a sex tape and boom... famous.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:32 PM
I Am the One Who Bans
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
No one had heard of her before the sex tape.
Not true. The Hilton sisters were famous for being millionaire party girls, just like TWDuke said. Of course, you may be right about the leaking of the tape.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
I would assume so. No one had heard of her before the sex tape.
Not true. As has been touched on a couple of times already in this thread, she was already fodder for gossip columns and late-night comedians as an heiress, model, and party girl. She was notorious enough that The Simple Life was developed around her and taped before the sex video came out.
Quote:
And the cynical folks of the world assumed it was planned specifically in order to propel her into the limeiight.
Cynics never let facts get in their way.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:35 PM
She spends money to party? Isn't that what her boyfriends are for - to pay for all that stuff?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Yes, she makes a ton more now than she has coming as inheritance. What do you mean spent? she spent money partying and whoring it up, then released a sex tape and boom... famous.
Lots of people party. Paris paid millions of dollars to publicists, media outlets and paparazzi to make sure everyone saw her party. I mean, seriously... you don't think she just became famous spontaneously?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:39 PM
It's hard to remember now that she once was known primarily for her funny name. Cleveland Hilton, Seattle Hilton, Paris Hilton. ISTR that her parents did it as a joke.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:04 PM
I have never heard of anyone paying paparazzi - certainly not big celebs. You can have your publicist tell them where you will be, but I don't think they charge anyone to show up. They make money by selling pictures.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Lots of people party. Paris paid millions of dollars to publicists, media outlets and paparazzi to make sure everyone saw her party. I mean, seriously... you don't think she just became famous spontaneously?
Even if she did break the bank doing that, she's made it back and more by being paid millions to appear at parties. She works damned hard at doing nothing.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Charter Member
She reportedly does not stand to inherit that much, since much of the personal trust fund has been donated to the Hilton charitable foundation by her grandfather.

Remember too that the image she conveyed in the sex tape made her seem cold and calculating. She took a cell phone call midway into it, IIRC.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Why does Paris Hilton have a slut reputation?

This is one of those "Who's buried in Grant's Tomb" kind of question, isn't it?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Not true. The Hilton sisters were famous for being millionaire party girls, just like TWDuke said. Of course, you may be right about the leaking of the tape.
They weren't all that famous, though. When I first heard about the "Paris Hilton scandal", I thought it was something that happened in a hotel in France, and couldn't figure out who was involved in it.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWDuke View Post
Not true. As has been touched on a couple of times already in this thread, she was already fodder for gossip columns and late-night comedians as an heiress, model, and party girl. She was notorious enough that The Simple Life was developed around her and taped before the sex video came out.
Isn't that a "six of one or half a dozen of another" situation? Paris Hilton was moderately famous among a certain group of people until she actually did something for real to make her famous. The Simple Life and the sex tape appeared almost simaltaneously. Both made her famous.

But before that, only people that give a shit about society gossip rags had any idea who she was.

ETA: Or what Chronos said.

Last edited by Justin_Bailey; 10-13-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Sorry, that's - once again - not true. I don't read society gossip rags (what is a society gossip rag anyway?) and she came to my attention via The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn. I remember it precisely because I had a who-the-hell-is-this-person-and-why-is-he-talking-about-her reaction, but once I'd become aware of the name I started seeing it pop up more and more.

It's peculiar that people insist she was unknown before the tape and the series. She would never have gotten the series if she hadn't already had some name recognition (unless you believe she's just that charismatic), and If the sex tape had been of just another anonymous skank, it would have barely created a ripple on the Internet.

Now if you want to say she was less famous than she is before she became more famous than she was, that can't really be argued with.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:35 PM
It seems that various celebs get pegged with a certain reputation that is very hard to get rid of. Some others are:

Jessica Simpson - dumb
Jennifer Anniston - unlucky in love
Clay Aiken - gay (turned out to be true)
Paula Abdul - drunk/high
Simon Cowell - mean
Old 10-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Now if you want to say she was less famous than she is before she became more famous than she was, that can't really be argued with.
No one's denying that she wasn't at least a little bit famous. But I think you're overstating her notoriety during her pre-Simple Life/sex tape days just a tad.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Sorry, that's - once again - not true. I don't read society gossip rags (what is a society gossip rag anyway?) and she came to my attention via The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn.
All that proves is that Craig Kilborn knew who she was. I certainly never heard Conan (or anyone else for that matter) talk about her until the sex tape. She might have been quasi-famous for being part of a famous family, but she didn't become famous-famous until the sex tape.

As for Pamela Anderson, she was already on the most popular show in the world for several years before her tapes hit. And one of the tapes was with her husband, unlike Paris's tape, where she was with someone else's husband. Not saying it makes Pam a non-slut, but certainly most people's first exposure to her wasn't the same as their first exposure to Paris.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Quote:
The sex tape just confirmed an image many people already had of her.
I doubt most people had any image of her before the sex tape. Apparently gossip rags loved her but the rest of us didn't know or give a shit.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Charter Member
I will consider myself to stand corrected. I had never heard of her prior to the furor over the sex tape, and for the first few days thought folks were blabbing about some kind of sex tape filmed AT the "Paris Hilton".

I must say my impression of her is not of ditziness or vacuous shallowosity, but it still seems like a clever and deliberate "put me into everyone's conversation" media-seeking move to cause that sextape to be published for mass consumption with her 'consent', whether she actually did that or not. Had she paid a publicist to insert her name into the minds of the readership of Us and People and Star and Celebrities and the NY Post and other cash-register checkout line periodicals, a better strategy would be hard to come up with.

---
Omar Little suggests lunatics like me include a disclaimer
Old 10-14-2009, 02:35 AM
to me, she oozes sexuality. I think she's a famous person who has marketed herself extremely well. So she did a sex tape... so what? It's made her a fortune.

She can't really act, so her time window is small. She's done a lot with that time.

I don't know what it is about her, but I can't take my eyes off of her. I can't say the same thing about P.A. or K.K.

But since she hasn't slept with me yet, I think calling her a slut is a bit much.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:11 AM
I always wanted to see Hilton's drivers license to see if she checked off "STD Donor" on the back.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 AM
In her debut episode on South Park she kept coughing us semen, that tells you something.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
I always wanted to see Hilton's drivers license to see if she checked off "STD Donor" on the back.
She does have a major skank vibe. You look at her and think "protection".

Which is why it's odd that she hasn't made a second fortune doing Trojans ads.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 AM
You know she's got a bad reputation. And it isn't just talk talk talk.

Hey, she's got at least as much name recognition as any other former presidential candidate.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:52 AM
I Am the One Who Bans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Fish Pot View Post
to me, she oozes sexuality.
She oozes something, I agree.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Quote:
But you don't get fame from endorsing stuff, you get endorsements from being famous -- often, but not always, based on some sort of accomplishment.
What planet do you live on?

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 10-14-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Charter Member
Jealousy. Sorry to put down the glorious American public this way, but let's get real. People hate her because she was rich without "deserving" it, she was getting a television show, and she was unearthly gorgeous in that "you can't be too rich or too thin" way.

The sex tape was a home recording of her at 19 that was released four years later. Everyone immediately leaped to the assumption that she put it out for publicity. There's never been the slightest proof of that to this day, but combined with everything else that made it easy to pin a "slut" label on her. Nobody knew anything about her at the time except that she had sex with her then boyfriend, which doesn't make her a slut, or someone who sleeps around, but the word got attached to her instantly. That should be proof enough that it wasn't based on anything rational.

What there is proof of is that the Paris persona is an act, and that she uses a different voice and mannerisms for it. She does have talent, even if that talent is manipulating the celebrity/fame mechanism. It's also not true that she got rich (or at least rich rich) from her inheritance. Barron Hilton gave away 97% of his money to charity. Paris may get as much as $5 million from the rest, enough to make ordinary mortals sick with jealousy, but she surely earns far more than that on her own through clever promotion of herself.

It's funny watching people hate on Paris, in the same way that it's funny reading what birthers say. Both jokes can turn sour pretty quickly, though, when you think of what must be behind them.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Jealousy. Sorry to put down the glorious American public this way, but let's get real. People hate her because she was rich without "deserving" it, she was getting a television show, and she was unearthly gorgeous in that "you can't be too rich or too thin" way.

The sex tape was a home recording of her at 19 that was released four years later. Everyone immediately leaped to the assumption that she put it out for publicity. There's never been the slightest proof of that to this day, but combined with everything else that made it easy to pin a "slut" label on her. Nobody knew anything about her at the time except that she had sex with her then boyfriend, which doesn't make her a slut, or someone who sleeps around, but the word got attached to her instantly. That should be proof enough that it wasn't based on anything rational.

What there is proof of is that the Paris persona is an act, and that she uses a different voice and mannerisms for it. She does have talent, even if that talent is manipulating the celebrity/fame mechanism. It's also not true that she got rich (or at least rich rich) from her inheritance. Barron Hilton gave away 97% of his money to charity. Paris may get as much as $5 million from the rest, enough to make ordinary mortals sick with jealousy, but she surely earns far more than that on her own through clever promotion of herself.

It's funny watching people hate on Paris, in the same way that it's funny reading what birthers say. Both jokes can turn sour pretty quickly, though, when you think of what must be behind them.
Uh Huh....... She makes her money as a VLSS (Vaginal Life Support System) which is pretty much the walking definition of a slut. I wouldn't let her fuck my dog. Jealous? I'm going with "OH HELL NO" on this underwear impaired twit twat.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
"Unearthly gorgeous"? Exapno, do you want to borrow my giant ass 20/200 prescription glasses? She's moderately attractive sure, but gorgeous is not a word many other people use to desribe Paris Hilton.