Old 11-04-2009, 02:35 PM
John David Carson has died

John David Carson has died at the age of 57. Actually, he died on October 27, but I didn't hear about it until today. He was the star of Pretty Maids All in a Row and The Savage is Loose (playing George C. Scott's son), and later had a prolific career as a character actor and appeared in many films and TV shows including Charlie's Angels, The Fall Guy, Falcon Crest, Taxi and Hawaii Five-O.

Carson's last role was in 1990, in Pretty Woman. He played a background character in the office where Richard Gere worked and only had a few lines. Apparently he had a stretch of rough time during the 90s, and lost a lot of his money gambling. I was told by his ex-girlfriend that he had a pretty serious drinking problem and was homeless for some time; I'm not sure how long this lasted because she said she hadn't spoken to him in 10 years.

I was informed of his death by his wife, Diane, who replied to a few videos of Carson I posted on Youtube with the sad news. I had tried to contact him last year, wanting to write an article about him, but couldn't get through to him. His phone number that was listed led me to his ex-girlfriend, which means that it must have been at least 10 years out of date.

Carson's story is sad. He really started out his Hollywood career as a very naive and confused young man, and was apparently pushed around and intimidated by a number of directors and producers who wanted to sleep with him. By his own admission he was also "on acid a lot of the time" and it didn't help him manage his career wisely. Because of his overtly sexual debut role in Pretty Maids, and his association with Rock Hudson, it seems that he came in the crosshairs of a lot of sleazy people. Apparently George C. Scott had tried to take him under his wing and help his career along, but he never became the leading man that he had hoped to be. This interview of him (which is actually transcribed from a print interview in a magazine - the guy who is speaking the lines is NOT actually John David Carson) is pretty heartbreaking to listen to if you consider the ultimate trajectory of his career - he shows such excitement and enthusiasm at being a young actor just starting out in Hollywood, and has such a youthful ambition.

I know he's a pretty damn obscure actor and I would be surprised if more than a few people here know who he is - but I was really saddened to hear of this news.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
John David Carson has died at the age of 57. Actually, he died on October 27. . . . I was informed of his death by his wife, Diane. . . . .
Have you been able to corroborate this? And I ask this not to be snarky--I would submit his DOD to IMDB, but I'd feel better about doing it if there were confirmation other than a posting in a youtube thread.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Need More Info

I am related to John David Carson and for some reason this is the way I learned of his passing. Do you have any more specific information? Like an obituary? Anything would be most helpful. Thank you.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Alas, Googling "john david carson dead" returns as it's number one result this thread.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
Have you been able to corroborate this? And I ask this not to be snarky--I would submit his DOD to IMDB, but I'd feel better about doing it if there were confirmation other than a posting in a youtube thread.
Wikipedia doesn't know about it yet.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I wrote back to Diane ("DeeDee") who informed me originally with a private message on YouTube; I am waiting to hear back from her. How are you related to Carson? Maybe you could ask someone in your family who is closer to him to try to confirm it. I can't find an obituary for him. According to his Wikipedia page and IMDB he was the son of Aldrich "Kit" Carson.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I Am the One Who Bans
The Social Security Death Index doesn't seem to know about this either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Alas, Googling "john david carson dead" returns as it's number one result this thread.
In fact, if you just google "John David Carson," this thread is about the 17th hit.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Maybe it's a hoax of some sort. I hope it is; but I don't know why someone would lie about something like this. The woman claimed to be named Diane Carson and said "I am his wife. John David Carson passed away at 8:22 pm. October 27th 2009, with me by his side."

She has a youtube account - it can be seen here.

ETA: here is her myspace page.

I'm inclined to think that this is real, unfortunately.

Last edited by Argent Towers; 11-04-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Another clue:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

I think Alana is Diana's daughter.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Charter Member
this person (who seems to be a friend of the Diane on MySpace) posted about his death on 10/28, FWIW.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Quote:
John David Carson has died at the age of 57. Actually, he died on October 27, but I didn't hear about it until today. He was the star of Pretty Maids All in a Row and The Savage is Loose (playing George C. Scott's son), and later had a prolific career as a character actor and appeared in many films and TV shows including Charlie's Angels, The Fall Guy, Falcon Crest, Taxi and Hawaii Five-O.

Carson's last role was in 1990, in Pretty Woman. He played a background character in the office where Richard Gere worked and only had a few lines. Apparently he had a stretch of rough time during the 90s, and lost a lot of his money gambling. I was told by his ex-girlfriend that he had a pretty serious drinking problem and was homeless for some time; I'm not sure how long this lasted because she said she hadn't spoken to him in 10 years.

I was informed of his death by his wife, Diane, who replied to a few videos of Carson I posted on Youtube with the sad news. I had tried to contact him last year, wanting to write an article about him, but couldn't get through to him. His phone number that was listed led me to his ex-girlfriend, which means that it must have been at least 10 years out of date.

Carson's story is sad. He really started out his Hollywood career as a very naive and confused young man, and was apparently pushed around and intimidated by a number of directors and producers who wanted to sleep with him. By his own admission he was also "on acid a lot of the time" and it didn't help him manage his career wisely. Because of his overtly sexual debut role in Pretty Maids, and his association with Rock Hudson, it seems that he came in the crosshairs of a lot of sleazy people. Apparently George C. Scott had tried to take him under his wing and help his career along, but he never became the leading man that he had hoped to be. This interview of him (which is actually transcribed from a print interview in a magazine - the guy who is speaking the lines is NOT actually John David Carson) is pretty heartbreaking to listen to if you consider the ultimate trajectory of his career - he shows such excitement and enthusiasm at being a young actor just starting out in Hollywood, and has such a youthful ambition.

I know he's a pretty damn obscure actor and I would be surprised if more than a few people here know who he is - but I was really saddened to hear of this news.
I knew John David and his family almost 30 years ago. To say I was in love would be an understatement. This is so devastating and even moreso to find out this way. A great guy and gentleman. Only wish you had let us know how sick you were, Johnny. We would have been there for you.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
The Social Security Death Index doesn't seem to know about this either.
I don't think he'd show up in a search only a week after he died - it'd likely take a couple of months. And not all deaths show up there anyway. If he wasn't receiving Social Security, and no one makes a claim for his Social Security benefits after his death, his death won't be listed.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Update - I tried to edit Wikipedia's entry for Carson to state that he had died; my revision was undone, on the grounds that it was not confirmed by a third party source. I guess I will have to wait until this poor man's obituary is actually published, in order to update his page.

I have been in contact with his wife Diana. She sent me some more information about Carson and his life; he was part Irish and part Cherokee; he was a practicing Christian Scientist and he studied the works of Mary Baker Eddy; he was very close with George C. Scott, and had actually written a screenplay that Scott was going to appear in. When Scott died, the plans were canceled. The screenplay was going to be semi-autobiographical, about a young actor in Las Vegas who becomes romantically involved with a married woman. Scott was to play the husband. (It sounds like it would have been a pretty good movie, if it was made.)
Old 11-12-2009, 10:41 PM
This page is also the only one that comes up with any mention of a wife or significant other named Diane or a daughter named Alana.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:43 PM
I've frequently used the obituary search function at legacy.com as one way to follow up on patients in a long-term health-tracking study of people who have AIDS. (When they don't show up for visits and you can't contact anyone in their lives, sometimes you have to see if they've died.) It tracks 750 newspapers in the US and Canada. I just did a 6-month search for "John Carson" and the only match was a man born in 1929.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Wasn't there some sort of legal bickering from Johnny Carson asking John David Carson to change his name a while back?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Charter Member
I think this is legit. It's not in the rootsweb.ancestry.com copy of the SSDI, but if you use this link, and plug in the name "John Carson", it does come up.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
I think this is legit. It's not in the rootsweb.ancestry.com copy of the SSDI, but if you use this link, and plug in the name "John Carson", it does come up.
Thank you Earl Snake-Hips Tuker.... if you use this linkhttp://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ndID=463403006, you will find this is legit. Diana Carson
Old 12-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Quote:
I wrote back to Diane ("DeeDee") who informed me originally with a private message on YouTube; I am waiting to hear back from her. How are you related to Carson? Maybe you could ask someone in your family who is closer to him to try to confirm it. I can't find an obituary for him. According to his Wikipedia page and IMDB he was the son of Aldrich "Kit" Carson.
Lizzie doesn't know me as Diana, but she knows me by DeDe. She has since contacted me through YouTube. Thank You Argent Towers.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
This page is also the only one that comes up with any mention of a wife or significant other named Diane or a daughter named Alana.
Alana is my daughter from a previous marriage and John has been her step-father since March of 2000.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
Wasn't there some sort of legal bickering from Johnny Carson asking John David Carson to change his name a while back?
John started his career as a child, doing commercials (Apple Jacks) and voice overs in Hanna Barbara cartoons (Dyno Boy) as Johnny Carson. This became a problem and he changed his name to John David Carson. He would always say that he hated 3 named actors... lol
Old 12-20-2009, 02:31 AM
If you search here for "John Carson" you will see that, indeed, he has passed away and his death is public record now. I'm not aware of any obituary for him as yet.

I really liked him and although he is not a household name by any means, the movies that he was in were definitely enhanced by his presence. Fortunately, though he seemed to have had some personal troubles in his life, we can know that in the years before his death, he had gotten himself together and was living a normal, happy life with his family and children. For that, at least, we can be happy. He may have had a turbulent career but his final years were peaceful and happy, and he passed away with his loved ones at his side.

Rest in peace, John David Carson. You brought joy to many people, even if you were not one of the top billed actors. You had an unmistakable presence and a joyous spirit.

Pretty Maids will always be one of my favorite movies, until the day I die, and your performance will always bring joy to my heart. I'll never forget it.

John David Carson in Pretty Maids All in a Row.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Sad news

So sad to hear of his passing. I was definitely a fan back in the day. In going through some possessions fairly recently (before I heard of his death), I came across a photo he sent to me in response to a fan letter I wrote and what he wrote back to me on the photo was sweet and very appreciative that I had taken the time to write to him. Sorry to hear about his hard times but happy to know that he came through them and had a contented life going on at the end. Still though it's sad when someone leaves at only 57. Bless him.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:37 PM
My buddy John David Carson

I knew John well.We worked together till june 2009 in Las Vegas. I was asked by John to help manage a comeback in the acting field but an injury to his throat which I believe led to his death stopped our efforts. He had a great young life but his last years weren't easy and he struggled with the outcome of his acting career. I've heard so many crazy stories that I could write a tell all book about some of the biggest heavyweights in Hollywood. R.I.P. John
Old 04-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Hi, how are you related? I'm looking for John's cousin Janet. I was shocked as well to hear of his passing. We all had such fun. ~Donna.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:35 PM
John David Carson has died

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrepilotslady View Post
Hi, how are you related? I'm looking for John's cousin Janet. I was shocked as well to hear of his passing. We all had such fun. ~Donna.
This question was directed to lizzieparks. Do you know John David's cousin Janet?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Charter Member
lrepilotslady, check your private messages.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:34 AM
thanks for the news

i have tried to post some info on johnny will try again let me know if you can tell me where i might visit his grave site
Old 09-04-2012, 03:11 AM
I've seen Pretty Maids All In A Row a few times now.

He was a great character actor. May he rest in peace.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:34 AM
john david carson has died

johnny carson or since his apperance on johnny carson in early 70 s (john david carson) whose parents were eldridge (kit) and boots carson whose aunt inez carson and her huband carl wright whom lived to be 103 and died just a few years before johnny kept us in touch with him her daughter linda sue wright pierce and debbie carson james and frank carson and ronald g carson senior (i am rg jr) are sad to hear of his passing but i beleive he won the lottery and he does not want to share any of it with his stingy rich relatives and is in hiding those dice musta finaly landed he comes from a long line of accomplishments and a great charmed life how it may or may not have ended is still up for question and i for one will not believe it till i see him he does need to be with his dad and his aunt i am not sure if his mom is in new york since inez is gone debbie or linda sue would know he followed in his dads path a small part here and there it started out really hugh for kid whose roots are texas cherokee and he and the above listed are true owners of most of texas due to birth right and war crimes against the cherokee nation of texas his roots go to the small town of bryan and college station the home of the fort or the artillary school the long knives call texas A&M his tribal family leaders gave the last bit of it to the 2 towns he comes from very strong work values and hard playing hard drinking hard living americans who were always quick with a fight or a joke and loved many many women he got to do what most people only dream of as did his mom and his dad the family or at least i since most are old and feeble and too busy watching the slaughter fo the dallas cowboys to concern them selves with his were abouts would like to find him and his misses if able and they are willing to be found we again were saddend by his loss and even more so at his displacement any info and friends who would like to know more of him from the family point of view and of course we would like to know his friends he was in many movies as was his dad usualy the creep doing the kiling or being shot or thrown off the stairs i saw him sat in his slight role in stay hungry he was very modest and kept to himself and we as family tried to grant him his privacy although anytime he was in town to help with a small part in the abilene community theator or the local t v and the annual march of dimes we were always hoping to see him my last visit with him was on our chance run in on one of my pop in s to visit my mom and i being the only family member to be able to attend the long knives college on the land stolen from us i was always lucky to get to have my family all show up for a nice visit and met johnny and Collet on the side of the road in his supposeded rented rv it would have been my home he came from very strong family and he may have been down a few times but he always had a home with any of us but thas all the enabling we would do he had a lot of pride and rightly so we miss him and please tell him to send some smoke signals home he has no idea of his real roots aunt inez was very quite about it due to the issues at hand i only found out after my enrollement as to the nature of our families plight and my responsiblities to regain our stolen property and his i have read some of your input here and i am the last one who needs to offer opinions as to his life or where abouts and why his mom was very important to him and so was his dad and u know indians and the white mans rum and of course it was only paper and trinkets to him so i am sure he had a hard time saving any of it karma is a funny thing and life has a very funny way of reuniting lost souls with those who wronged them he is from a long line of wronged soles so do not morn him or them rejoice that you got to be a part of someone who was so special and was very modest about it i do hope his wife or wives got to hold on to any of his royalties and i do wish and hope he had a son i have the last one on 2 sides of his tree and part of his blood line goes back to the bleeker who got manhatton island for some beads and jefferson davis as well as 2 presidents so we are getting some of the pilgims and palefaces traits so perhaps we will get the country back the way it was stolen from us thank you for this forum here and i hope this gets thru to his wife or girlfriend so we may know her and see his resting place or have his ashes if she has not lost them to the wind as he lived ronnie glen carson jr [email protected]
Old 09-04-2012, 03:59 AM
Well, all right then.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 AM
screw punctuation anyway
Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 AM
could be dictation software used by a fast talker.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Does that explain the racism?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 AM
The Central Scrutinizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Does that explain the racism?
You could actually read that?
Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Johnny Carson, or since his appearance on Johnny Carson's show in the early 70s, John David Carson, whose parents were Eldridge (Kit) and Boots Carson, whose aunt Inez Carson and her husband Carl Wright who lived to be 103 and died just a few years before.

Johnny kept us in touch with him. Her daughters Linda Sue Wright Pierce and Debbie Carson, James and Frank Carson and Ronald G. Carson senior (I am RG Jr) are sad to hear of his passing. But i believe he won the lottery and he does not want to share any of it with his stingy rich relatives and is in hiding. Those dice must have finally landed.

He comes from a long line of accomplishments and a great charmed life. How it may or may not have ended is still up for question and I for one will not believe it till I see him. He does need to be with his dad and his aunt. I am not sure if his mom is in New York, since Inez is gone. Debbie or Linda Sue would know.

He followed in his dad's path: a small part here and there. It started out really huge for a kid whose roots are Texas Cherokee. He and the above listed are true owners of most of Texas due to birth right and war crimes against the Cherokee nation of Texas. His roots go to the small town of Bryan and College Station, the home of the fort or the artillery school the long knives call Texas A&M. His tribal family leaders gave the last bit of it to the two towns he comes from. Very strong work values and hard playing, hard drinking, hard living Americans who were always quick with a fight or a joke and loved many many women. He got to do what most people only dream of, as did his mom and his dad.

The family, or at least I, since most are old and feeble and too busy watching the slaughter of the Dallas Cowboys to concern themselves with his whereabouts, would like to find him and his Mrs. if able and they are willing to be found. We again were saddened by his loss and even more so at his displacement. Any info and friends who would like to know more of him from the family point of view, and of course we would like to know his friends.

He was in many movies, as was his dad. Usually the creep doing the killing or being shot or thrown off the stairs. I saw him in his slight role in Stay Hungry. He was very modest and kept to himself and we as family tried to grant him his privacy, although any time he was in town to help with a small part in the Abilene community theater, or the local TV and the annual March of Dimes we were always hoping to see him.

My last visit with him was on our chance run-in on one of my pop-ins to visit my mom. I being the only family member to be able to attend the long knives college on the land stolen from us, I was always lucky to get to have my family all show up for a nice visit and met Johnny and Collet on the side of the road in his supposed rented RV. It would have been my home. He came from a very strong family and he may have been down a few times but he always had a home with any of us, but that's all the enabling we would do. He had a lot of pride and rightly so.

We miss him and please tell him to send some smoke signals home. He has no idea of his real roots. Aunt Inez was very quiet about it, due to the issues at hand. I only found out after my enrollment as to the nature of our families plight and my responsiblities to regain our stolen property and his. I have read some of your input here and I am the last one who needs to offer opinions as to his life or whereabouts and why his mom was very important to him and so was his dad. And you know Indians and the white man's rum, and of course it was only paper and trinkets to him so I am sure he had a hard time saving any of it. Karma is a funny thing, and life has a very funny way of reuniting lost souls with those who wronged them.

He is from a long line of wronged souls, so do not mourn him or them. Rejoice that you got to be a part of someone who was so special and was very modest about it. I do hope his wife or wives got to hold on to any of his royalties, and I do wish and hope he had a son. I have the last one on two sides of his tree. Part of his blood line goes back to the Bleeker who got Manhattan Island for some beads, and to Jefferson Davis, as well as two presidents, so we are getting some of the pilgrims and palefaces' traits. So perhaps we will get the country back the way it was stolen from us.

Thank you for this forum here and i hope this gets through to his wife or girlfriend so we may know her and see his resting place, or have his ashes, if she has not lost them to the wind as he lived.

Ronnie Glen Carson Jr.

Last edited by Rilchiam; 09-04-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Charter Member
So to summarize:

"I'm related to John David Carson. I'm sorry to hear he's dead. If you see him, tell him to contact his family. He should send us money because the American Indians have really been screwed over in this country."
Old 02-20-2016, 03:09 PM
John David Carson

John David was my second cousin. Also related to Ronnie Carson who has posted below.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
So it was....murder!
Old 02-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Ever read a zombie thread about a celebrity death and felt sad all over again?