Old 12-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Guitar chord help - Hardrock Coco and Joe

I'm driving myself crazy. I'm not very good at figuring out songs. I would like the chords for Hardrock, Coco and Joe from this site. (click the mp3 under the album cover)

I would like to play this for my cub scout den and family this holiday season. It seems to easy, but I just can't get it right and I can't find it anywhere on the net.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfyre View Post
I'm driving myself crazy. I'm not very good at figuring out songs. I would like the chords for Hardrock, Coco and Joe from this site. (click the mp3 under the album cover)

I would like to play this for my cub scout den and family this holiday season. It seems to easy, but I just can't get it right and I can't find it anywhere on the net.
I did a quick search on the song title + "tablature " and chords. I haven't searched on line for chords in a while - wow, they've really closed up the open-sharing loopholes - everything costs money or requires accessing another website (which costs money), etc.

I listened for a couple of secs and yeah, it does sound easy, but I couldn't noodle it out without a guitar in front of me...sorry.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I just gave it a sec or two but it's in G.
Basically G - C- D stuff. It probably doesn't sound as close as you would like because of the banjo. Try playing it with barre chords and it should sound closer.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Charter Member
It's in G. The chords I hear are G, Am, C, and D.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Charter Member
Intro:
C-G-C-G-D

"Oh-dee-oh-ay-dee":
G-G-G-G-D

Verse:
G-Am-D-C
G-Am-G-D
G-Am-D-C
G-Am-G-D

Bridge:
C-G-C-G-D

There's also bass notes walking in the C-G part of the verse chord progression, so it's like C-C/A-G
Old 12-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Only listening on laptop speakers, but I get something like:

Verse
G G Am Am D D C G
G G Am Am D D C G

Chorus
G G G G C D C G
G G G G D C G G

"And Santa is busy"
C D G G
C D G D

Some of those Ams might be Cs, and vice versa.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Og, I love this board. I'll try it out tonight. Thanks so much.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
I did a quick search on the song title + "tablature " and chords. I haven't searched on line for chords in a while - wow, they've really closed up the open-sharing loopholes - everything costs money or requires accessing another website (which costs money), etc.

I listened for a couple of secs and yeah, it does sound easy, but I couldn't noodle it out without a guitar in front of me...sorry.
Actually WordMan, it's usually not that hard to find something somewhere on the net, but this is a very obscure song, I think. Mostly only us people here in Chicago know of it. I know there are people outside of Chicago that know it, but it is a very regional thing.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Charter Member
Here it is a little more clearly formatted:

Code:
(single note walk: G-A-B)

C - - |C - - |G - - |G - - |C - - |C - - |G - - |D - -

"Oh-dee-ohh":
G - - |G - - |G - - |G - - |G - - |D - - |G - - |G - -

Verse:

G - - |G - - |Am- - |Am- - |D - - |D - - |C -(/A)|G - -
G - - |G - - |Am- - |Am - -|G - - |D - - |G - - |G - - 

"Oh-dee-oh" (full):

G - - |G - - |G - - |G - - |Am- - |D - - |C -(/A)|G - -
G - - |G - - |G - - |G - - |G - - |D - - |G - - |G - -

Bridge:
(bass walk: G-A-B)

C - -|C - -|G - -|G - -|C - -|C - -|G - -|D - -|
Old 12-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Charter Member
And those Cs in the verse and chorus sound better as Cadd9s (and I think they actually are Cadd9s)

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-08-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm going to revise my attempt, if I may. I think this is more in line with what pulykamell had, which must be a good sign:

[edit] beaten to it. At least I got it basically right in the end

Last edited by Ximenean; 12-08-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Charter Member
I've posted this before, but this program called Digital Music Mentor is my favorite and is worth the rather large price*. It analyzes the song and figures out the chords. It's far from perfect, especially when it comes to jazzy arrangements, but straight up songs like yours is right up its alley.

The one bonus is that it also defines the key and the pitch. I love Robyn Hitchcock's "One Long Pair of Eyes" and before I found that program, I struggled with trying to play along with it for years. It turns out that instead of the standard A=440 pitch, it was A=454 (or something like that), about a semitone higher than standard. I tuned my guitar up and played along with no problems after that.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Charter Member
And those Ds can be D7s, too and the Ams can be Am7 (although I think the Ams are played straight here, I think I hear the seventh in some of the Ds--I'm not completely sure, but that's how I'd play it on the piano).
Old 12-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfyre View Post
Og, I love this board. I'll try it out tonight. Thanks so much.
I know - pretty cool, right? pulykamell - instant music theorist: while you wait(tm)

Glad you got what you need. Go forth and entertain!