Old 12-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Fuck you, Tourneau and your deceptive business practices!

For those of you that don't know, Tourneau is a high end watch store, and for the life of me I can't figure out how they stay in business. This Christmas re-affirmed my disgust for this company and I would love to know how they pay their bills.

My wife bought me a nice Omega for Christmas. She wasn't sure I'd like it, so she wanted to know the return policy. There IS no return policy. So, my wife said she wouldn't buy it. Given the cost of the item, she (rightly, in my opinion) stated that she wouldn't pay the price of the watch with no ability to return it for a refund if I didn't like it. The manager came out and wrote on the receipt "return for refund approved", and my wife bought the watch.

Turns out, I didn't like the watch. Now, I've been to Tourneau before, and I would never buy a watch from them because their sales approach is so abrasive, they sell everything at full retail (which is insane these days, with the web options that are out there), and they also told me I couldn't return a watch if I bought one. So, I went somewhere else to buy a watch for my wife. The same watch, for approximately 30% less, with the ability to return it for full refund if my wife didn't like it. Little did I know my wife would go into that same store and deal with the nonsense of the Tourneau "touch".

She went back on the 26th to return the watch, only to discover that the person who checked her out at the cash register scratched out "refund" and wrote "exchange". So, the store salesperson said "there is nothing I can do. You can exchange this for a watch of equal or greater value, but I cannot give you a refund." Well, that set my wife off. It also set off the next customer in line, who had his receipt similarly changed at the last minute without his knowledge (scratched out "refund", wrote "exchange" over the correction).

This is a high-end store in a high end mall. The male customer took over the verbal barrage that I would have been a part of if I happened to be there, but according to my wife, he did just fine. After a 10 minute stand-off, and demands to see the manager went ignored (and a larger crowd forming to return Christmas presents forming), the salesperson finally went in the back, got the manager to approve the exchanges and my wife and the other guy both got the refunds they deserved.

So fuck you, Tourneau, up your corporate ass with a red-hot poker, fuck your bait-and-switch sales tactics of scratching out "refund" and writing in "exchange" on the receipt, and fuck your salespeople and business model which basically says "we don't care about you or your return business. We just want to sell you this watch and then tell you to piss off."

Tangentially, I would also like to say "Fuck you" to any and all customers of this company that have purchased items from them and kept them in business, especially those that have been hoodwinked into buying a watch they weren't crazy about because a salesperson convinced them that they couldn't return a watch for a refund but would have to settle for an exchange without complaining to the BBB or anyone else for that matter. Get a fucking backbone! This company should have its doors shut and padlocked.

How they remain in business is beyond me. I would love to know if any of you dopers have dealt with this outfit, and if so, can you explain to me how they make money? I am writing a complaint to the mall management, Tourneau management, and the BBB, but I doubt I will have much impact. But what they do is WRONG, and it should not be tolerated. Fuckers!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Sounds mighty close to criminal fraud to me. I'd write about ten letters, at least one of which would go to the state AG.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:53 PM
If I had to guess, I'd assume that the reason they have that policy is because douchebags will buy a watch for a business meeting or clubbing or something, just to seem like a bigshot, and then return it after.

High end watches are like jalapeno poppers for douchebags.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobohan View Post
If I had to guess, I'd assume that the reason they have that policy is because douchebags will buy a watch for a business meeting or clubbing or something, just to seem like a bigshot, and then return it after.

Can you explain your last sentence? Your first comment makes sense, but I don't think everyone that buys a high end watch is a douchbag.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Fish Pot View Post
.....There IS no return policy.
As is pretty clearly stated on their web site.

Never been to one of their stores, but if it's clearly stated that there is no return allowed, it sounds to me like the beef here is with the folks that "approved" then switched the approval at the register.

Just for clarification, what receipt did the manager write this on before your wife purchased the watch? I've never seen a receipt for anything before I bought it, that's what you get after you've paid for something. Also, if someone wrote that on a receipt I had, it would go straight in my pocket, with a copy of a business card. And if the clerk wrote scratched something out and wrote something else on the receipt, I'd sure notice that.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Can you explain your last sentence? Your first comment makes sense, but I don't think everyone that buys a high end watch is a douchbag.

Anyone who buys things for the "look at me, see what I own" effect is likely to be a douchbag of some order. Do you know any other reason someone would own a "high end" watch?

However, I don't think Lobohan said everyone who owns one is one.

Glad you got your refund.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Quote:
No, but douchebags in particular are drawn to them.

I would think if you isolated every person wearing a high-end watch on Earth and subjected them to a douchebag test (perhaps by unpopping their collars and seeing how long it takes them to re-pop), the douchebag ratio of those killed would be higher than the population at large.

A high-end watch is for some people a sports-car you can show off indoors. In my experience.

Notice all the weasel words I used, I'm in no way suggesting that everyone who buys a watch for 10 to 1000 times the price of a comparably functional one is trying to strut like a pathetic peacock, but those type are out there and they will abuse the fuck out of a store like Tourneau.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM
BANNED
Quote:

Just because some people can afford nice things and you can't doesn't necessarily make them douche bags.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
Just because some people can afford nice things and you can't doesn't necessarily make them douche bags.
Just because I don't think spending a thousand times the value for a bauble to impress the rubes is a good idea doesn't mean I can't afford them.

Now shut your whore mouth and re-read my posts. I didn't say that every single person who buys an overpriced watch is a douchebag. I said that douchebags will gravitate to a store like that.

Sort of how a douchebag like you gravitated to the pit.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Quote:
The folks who would buy them and return them immediately after whatever gathering he wants to look impressive for probably can't afford them either. You probably missed that part of the post.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bus Guy View Post
As is pretty clearly stated on their web site.

Never been to one of their stores, but if it's clearly stated that there is no return allowed, it sounds to me like the beef here is with the folks that "approved" then switched the approval at the register.

Just for clarification, what receipt did the manager write this on before your wife purchased the watch? I've never seen a receipt for anything before I bought it, that's what you get after you've paid for something. Also, if someone wrote that on a receipt I had, it would go straight in my pocket, with a copy of a business card. And if the clerk wrote scratched something out and wrote something else on the receipt, I'd sure notice that.
Well, I don't know about you, but I don't always go to the store's website before I shop there. Clearly if my wife did, she wouldn't have gone there.

My wife bought the watch with the manager present. After she purchased it, the receipt was produced and the manager wrote the "Approved for refund" on it in front of my wife. However, the receipt wasn't actually handed to my wife, as they held onto it to put it in the bag after the watch was put in it. My wife saw the receipt put in the bag and never looked at it again.

She clearly admits that she should have looked at it again before leaving the store, but didn't believe that the store would change the receipt.

Your suggestions are good ones, and my wife and I have learned a lesson on being more aware of any promise that has been made verbally on a purchase like this, including taking immediate possession of the receipt.

I never thought of the idea of someone buying a watch and taking it back after wearing it for an event, but I guess that can occur.

Quote:
Anyone who buys things for the "look at me, see what I own" effect is likely to be a douchbag of some order. Do you know any other reason someone would own a "high end" watch?
I don't know. Maybe people have issues with someone who can afford something they can't. True, a $10 timex tells time. Hell, my cell phone tells time. But, I can think of a number of reasons to buy a high end watch. Not one of my reasons would ring true to someone that thinks it's for the "look at me" factor.

Do you own a car? If it's not the cheapest Kia you can buy, then you are buying based on a number of factors, even though a Kia will get you from point A to point B as well as a BMW 7-series. Do you own any nice clothes? Why? A shirt from the Salvation Army will cover you just as well as one from a nice store.

Maybe the fact that some folks can't afford a high-end watch are douchbags for not going out and earning enough money to have one.

Or maybe everyone that owns or has purchased a diamond engagement ring instead of a CZ is a douchbag for spending thousands more than required for a stone on a ring that few people can tell the difference of without a close look.

We can go on all day. Everyone spends their money as they see fit. No one should be screwed out of their money under any circumstances, including deceptive business practices.

Last edited by crypto; 12-27-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
The folks who would buy them and return them immediately after whatever gathering he wants to look impressive for probably can't afford them either. You probably missed that part of the post.
This I can agree with, but that's not all that was said in this thread, including a store like that is one that douchbags gravitate to.

My wife is not a douchbag for trying to buy me a nice gift. Nor do I think I'm one if I wear one.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Quote:
This I can agree with, but that's not all that was said in this thread,
Actually, it was.
Quote:

Old 12-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
Actually, it was.
no it wasn't... read the whole thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobohan
Quote:
No, but douchebags in particular are drawn to them.

I would think if you isolated every person wearing a high-end watch on Earth and subjected them to a douchebag test (perhaps by unpopping their collars and seeing how long it takes them to re-pop), the douchebag ratio of those killed would be higher than the population at large.

A high-end watch is for some people a sports-car you can show off indoors. In my experience.

Notice all the weasel words I used, I'm in no way suggesting that everyone who buys a watch for 10 to 1000 times the price of a comparably functional one is trying to strut like a pathetic peacock, but those type are out there and they will abuse the fuck out of a store like Tourneau.
Quote:
Just because I don't think spending a thousand times the value for a bauble to impress the rubes is a good idea doesn't mean I can't afford them.

Now shut your whore mouth and re-read my posts. I didn't say that every single person who buys an overpriced watch is a douchebag. I said that douchebags will gravitate to a store like that.

See? Lobohan is nice enough to tell us that not every single person who wears a high-end watch is a douchbag, but

1) douchbags gravitate to a store like that
2) In his/her experience, it's like a person wearing a high-end sports car to show off indoors.
3) If you did a douchbag test on everyone that wears a high-end watch, more douchbags would be found than not.
4) Oh, and just because he/she doesn't wear a high-end watch doesn't mean he/she can't afford one.

I opened this thread to complain about Tourneau's business practices, not to discuss the character of the people that shop there.

That would be like me going into the Avatar thread, or the George Lucas thread and discuss Lobohan's opinions in terms of the douch-baggery of them. Not necessarily Lobohan's, but people like that... in my experience.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
My wife is not a douchbag for trying to buy me a nice gift. Nor do I think I'm one if I wear one.
Yeah, but you kinda are one for not accepting her nice gift, and making her go through the hassle of returning it.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:31 PM
So, talk to a lawyer and have them write a threat letter to the store. They will cough up a refund.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Quote:
I never thought of the idea of someone buying a watch and taking it back after wearing it for an event, but I guess that can occur.
I worked for a very high end 5th Ave retailer for many years. We had a no return, no exchange policy with no exceptions allowed in a couple of departments. For example, people would charge a $30,000 to $50,000 fur, wear it to an event and then attempt to return it the very next day. It wasn't an isolated thing either. It happened on a regular basis.

The funny thing was, some of the people who attempted to do this would have been loaned the fur had they only asked.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Apparently, such things can be rented...

blingyourself.com
Old 12-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Yeah, but you kinda are one for not accepting her nice gift, and making her go through the hassle of returning it.
perhaps. But for what the watch cost, why wouldn't I want one that
1) fits
2) I like?

My wife doesn't keep every gift I get her, either.

You'd keep something your spouse gave you that cost a few thousand dollars that you didn't really want or like to spare their feelings?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerInNJ View Post
I worked for a very high end 5th Ave retailer for many years. We had a no return, no exchange policy with no exceptions allowed in a couple of departments. For example, people would charge a $30,000 to $50,000 fur, wear it to an event and then attempt to return it the very next day. It wasn't an isolated thing either. It happened on a regular basis.

The funny thing was, some of the people who attempted to do this would have been loaned the fur had they only asked.
I would have never thought this, but I shouldn't be surprised. People never cease to amaze me.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Quote:
no it wasn't... read the whole thread:

See? Lobohan is nice enough to tell us that not every single person who wears a high-end watch is a douchbag, but

1) douchbags gravitate to a store like that
I would think that many douchebags would.
Quote:
2) In his/her experience, it's like a person wearing a high-end sports car to show off indoors.
For some people it is. For some people. You don't live in a world with a lot of shades of gray do you?
Quote:
3) If you did a douchbag test on everyone that wears a high-end watch, more douchbags would be found than not.
Okay, you don't read very well either, I said they would be in a higher incidence than the population at large. That might well be less than ten percent.
Quote:
4) Oh, and just because he/she doesn't wear a high-end watch doesn't mean he/she can't afford one.
In my view buying something that costs 10 to 1000 times what an equally functional object does isn't something that is very smart. I wouldn't pay a thousand times the price for a pair of shoes either.

Quote:
I opened this thread to complain about Tourneau's business practices, not to discuss the character of the people that shop there.
I was making a point that partial explained their policy. Douchebags exist. They want to seem rich and they would abuse the right to return of that store.

Quote:
That would be like me going into the Avatar thread, or the George Lucas thread and discuss Lobohan's opinions in terms of the douch-baggery of them. Not necessarily Lobohan's, but people like that... in my experience.
You know what, you may not be a douchebag, but you're certainly fucking stupid.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:15 PM
I don't understand why people who eat jalapeño poppers are douchebags.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:43 PM
They aren't they are jalapeño cheesebags.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Quote:
I would think that many douchebags would.
For some people it is. For some people. You don't live in a world with a lot of shades of gray do you?
Okay, you don't read very well either, I said they would be in a higher incidence than the population at large. That might well be less than ten percent.
In my view buying something that costs 10 to 1000 times what an equally functional object does isn't something that is very smart. I wouldn't pay a thousand times the price for a pair of shoes either.

I was making a point that partial explained their policy. Douchebags exist. They want to seem rich and they would abuse the right to return of that store.

You know what, you may not be a douchebag, but you're certainly fucking stupid.
Kee-rist, Lobohan... go back to the fanboy wank threads for Avatar and George Lucas... when those fantasy/sci-fi movies don't occupy your time to the point of debating the potential cost of unobtainium, maybe you'll be able to afford a douchbag watch.

Last edited by crypto; 12-27-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:03 PM
BANNED
Quote:
It depends.

Often times with watches, you can get what you pay for with the right research. I've bought my share of dime store watches, and they rarely last more than a year or so. I've bought fairly expensive watches that have lasted for decades. I didn't buy them because I'm a douchebag who wants to impress your family . . .EEEEEER "the rubes". I bought them for special occasions and knew they would last forever. They are hardly "baubles" but quality timepieces designed and manufactured to very high standards, obviously something you would probably hardly be able to appreciate.

Quote:
Well, Stink Fish Pot pretty much exposed you as a fraud. If you are going to say something, be prepared to back it up and not give us a phony-baloney "that's not what I said" spin.

Quote:
And stop grinning after your cheap shots. That makes you a douchebag.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Kee-rist, Lobohan... go back to the fanboy wank threads for Avatar and George Lucas... when those fantasy/sci-fi movies don't occupy your time to the point of debating the potential cost of unobtainium, maybe you'll be able to afford a douchbag watch.
I would rather have a 2 or 3 hundred dollar watch and have 10k to spend on a comic books.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Quote:
It depends.

Often times with watches, you can get what you pay for with the right research. I've bought my share of dime store watches, and they rarely last more than a year or so. I've bought fairly expensive watches that have lasted for decades. I didn't buy them because I'm a douchebag who wants to impress your family . . .EEEEEER "the rubes". I bought them for special occasions and knew they would last forever. They are hardly "baubles" but quality timepieces designed and manufactured to very high standards, obviously something you would probably hardly be able to appreciate.
Oh I like craftsmanship. I'm not a particular fan of empty fashion though. That said, buy an expensive watch if you want. A lot of people do that to show off though. Watches are the only flashy jewelry men are allowed to wear.

Quote:
Well, Stink Fish Pot pretty much exposed you as a fraud. If you are going to say something, be prepared to back it up and not give us a phony-baloney "that's not what I said" spin.
He pretty much did not. Like I say, read again for comprehension. Domo.

Quote:
And stop grinning after your cheap shots. That makes you a douchebag.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:02 AM
BANNED
Quote:
I would rather have a 2 or 3 hundred dollar watch and have 10k to spend on a comic books.

I'd like reply by sayi . . . . wait . . . . have to sneeze here:

ah
AH

*****LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!*********

I'm sorry, you were saying?

Last edited by St. Anger; 12-28-2009 at 02:03 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
Sounds mighty close to criminal fraud to me. I'd write about ten letters, at least one of which would go to the state AG.
Assuming the facts are as stated, that the manager's written promise of a refund was surrepticiously whisked away and altered after the purchase, I imagine this actually IS a criminal act to defraud. IANAL, but had they not eventually coughed up a refund I would be talking to the police.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
Assuming the facts are as stated, that the manager's written promise of a refund was surrepticiously whisked away and altered after the purchase, I imagine this actually IS a criminal act to defraud. IANAL, but had they not eventually coughed up a refund I would be talking to the police.
I agree that is a bait and switch type of move. Unfortunately, dickhead customer service moves are frequently legal. The refund was granted as promised. They were dicks about it, sure, but they did grant it and thus didn't actually do anything illegal.

They're still bastards, but you can't sue for that.

ETA: I think we both agree on this one.

Last edited by armedmonkey; 12-28-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:52 AM
Quote:
I'd like reply by sayi . . . . wait . . . . have to sneeze here:

ah
AH

*****LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!*********

I'm sorry, you were saying?
Oh, I am cut to the quick! I was making a joke because Fishpot above took issue with my posting in the Avatar and George Lucas threads. I think you aren't as clever as you think you are. Unless your version of clever involves making jokes repeating what someone else has said as a self-deprecating remark.

In any case I assume this random deflection is an admission you were wrong above, right?
Old 12-28-2009, 05:25 AM
These people sound like a joke, How do they stay in business with customer service like that? That is out-and-out contempt.

If you want something that works as timepiece and elegant jewellery, costs a quarter of the equivalent big name brand and enables you to stick it to crappy dealers: Check out Christopher Ward
http://christopherward.co.uk/men.html

Best of all they have a 60-60 guarantee. If you don't like it for any reason you have 60 days to return, no-quibble. Then a 60 month general guarantee.

$300 will get you a beautiful Swiss made automatic watch with a movement every bit as good (or better) as a $2000 Rolex.

Of course if you are bothered about it being a name people recognise........well, I can't help you. The reason prices are so low is that they don't advertise, associate with celebrities or sell through external vendors.

Word of mouth is how they advertise which I guess is what I'm doing. Their customer service is excellent. (every customer receives a hand signed letter from Mr. Ward himself).

Go-on, sod the Omega, get 5 of these instead!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:09 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
These people sound like a joke, How do they stay in business with customer service like that? That is out-and-out contempt.

If you want something that works as timepiece and elegant jewellery, costs a quarter of the equivalent big name brand and enables you to stick it to crappy dealers: Check out Christopher Ward
http://christopherward.co.uk/men.html

Best of all they have a 60-60 guarantee. If you don't like it for any reason you have 60 days to return, no-quibble. Then a 60 month general guarantee.

$300 will get you a beautiful Swiss made automatic watch with a movement every bit as good (or better) as a $2000 Rolex.

Of course if you are bothered about it being a name people recognise........well, I can't help you. The reason prices are so low is that they don't advertise, associate with celebrities or sell through external vendors.

Word of mouth is how they advertise which I guess is what I'm doing. Their customer service is excellent. (every customer receives a hand signed letter from Mr. Ward himself).

Go-on, sod the Omega, get 5 of these instead!
I agree, there are many many cheaper watches that are perfectly functional and look quite nice with a cost under $500, though I admit my favorite watch is a russian self winder that cost my husband $20 US off a russian sailor in Bremmerhaven. I am assuming it is a cheap russian watch because everything written anywhere is in cyrillic, and I cant see a russian sailor spending a lot of money on a watch and being willing to sell it so cheaply. But I kill quartz based watches with a funky personal electrical field, so I don't bother using anything but purely mechanical watches. [I killed an $800 G shock, after 3 months of wear it started running backwards]
Old 12-28-2009, 09:41 AM
I used to work in a high-end sunglass store. The practice of "renting" nice sunglasses (we had Cartier models running up into the $5,000 range, but everything else was under $600) was rare, but it did happen.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:03 PM
BANNED
Quote:
I think you aren't as clever as you think you are.
You would be correct. I constantly underestimate my cleverness, and never cease to be amazed at the results.

Quote:
In any case I assume this random deflection is an admission you were wrong above, right?
No. Sorry.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfish View Post
Because of corrosive sweat? Dad sort'a... ate through watches. The titanium one Mom bought him to celebrate they'd been together for 30 years is the only one that really lasted. He wore it for 12 years, she uses it now (it's relatively small within being a man's model, as Dad had small hands).
Old 12-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Quote:
True, but sadly many douchebags can afford nice things.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:23 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ellis View Post
True, but sadly many douchebags can afford nice things.
True, however I would submit that douchebags come in all colors, creeds, religions and economic classes.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Quote:
True, however I would submit that douchebags come in all colors, creeds, religions and economic classes.
And some douchebags will buy watches to show off and then return them. So the policies of the store are reasonable.

It is not reasonable however, to change the handwritten note.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Quote:

I prefer lemon-lime douchebags, myself.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:38 AM
BANNED
Quote:
I prefer lemon-lime douchebags, myself.
Is that better than vinegar and water?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Certainly leaves me feeling fresher.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Certainly leaves me feeling fresher.
But cunninlingus without fresh balsamic flavor? What, are you a madman?

Anyway, what I want to know out of this is: how does a store that sells nice trinkets like watches for thousands of dollars a pop get away with a "no returns" clause? I understand the "rental bling" side of things, but are those people really a big enough segment of their market to raise a corporate middle finger to ALL their customers?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Everyone spends their money as they see fit. No one should be screwed out of their money under any circumstances, including deceptive business practices.
Indeed. Yes, there are plenty of douchebags with their flashy watches, suits, and cars who bought them as status symbols. But, at the same time, there are also plenty of people (probably most) who bought that watch, suit, or car because they thought it looked good (or thought someone for whom they were buying a gift would think it looked good). My cell phone tells time, too, but I bought a brass pocket watch at an antique store once, had it repaired, and use it everyday because I like it. What's the problem with either of these scenarios?

If I was in the OP's spot, I would have just worn the watch even if I didn't like it because it might have made my wife happy
Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Because of corrosive sweat? Dad sort'a... ate through watches. The titanium one Mom bought him to celebrate they'd been together for 30 years is the only one that really lasted. He wore it for 12 years, she uses it now (it's relatively small within being a man's model, as Dad had small hands).
Is your father an alien being? Sigourney Weaver was in a bunch of documentaries about creatures with highly corrosive internal fluids...

I like to brag that the watch I wear cost more than thirty four dollars, though I don't begrudge some of my friends with Rolexes. Some people get some positive energy from odd luxuries (e.g., Kitchen Maid mixers, elaborate espresso machines, PC gaming rigs).

[minor aside]
I was recently surprised to see a friend of mine, a very practical person when it comes to money, driving an Audi TT, and complimented him on being able to make that decision. He's got money carved out for his kids' colleges, his Hermosa Beach house is paid off, and he's managed to get out at the top in the last two bubbles. Why not get a car he wanted and can afford?
[/aside]
Old 12-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by groo View Post
Is your father an alien being? Sigourney Weaver was in a bunch of documentaries about creatures with highly corrosive internal fluids...
In his case, the corrosive fluids were external. And yes, we suspect he may have been an alien, only his elder brother and him were similar-looking enough that people would mistake them, and my uncle didn't have the corrosive sweat. Maybe uncle was a first attempt at introducing a changeling and Dad was the improved model?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:24 AM
"No returns" is insane. Full retail at all times is insane. Why in the world did your wife shop there in the first place? The only thing Tourneau sounds good for is looking at/feeling merchandise before trotting home and buying the same thing off Amazon. That's the digital world way of cheating retailers.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:07 AM
I've been in a few different Torneau's in a few different states (NY, FL and CA) - and though I DO agree that the "no returns" policy is madness, that policy was pretty much plastered in plain sight wherever I looked. They WILL exchange, but not return.

Is it possible that your wife just didn't notice the policy in the first place when she made the purchase? Either way, not being able to return something is idiocy - although, I would assume that if someone is dropping a few grand on a watch, the likelihood of returning it is pretty slim - most people spending that kind of scratch are pretty confident in what they want.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Mental help?

Just kidding. My dad collects Rolexes, and while I wouldn't wear one, I totally "get it".
Old 12-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGypsyGirl View Post
I've been in a few different Torneau's in a few different states (NY, FL and CA) - and though I DO agree that the "no returns" policy is madness, that policy was pretty much plastered in plain sight wherever I looked. They WILL exchange, but not return.

Is it possible that your wife just didn't notice the policy in the first place when she made the purchase? Either way, not being able to return something is idiocy - although, I would assume that if someone is dropping a few grand on a watch, the likelihood of returning it is pretty slim - most people spending that kind of scratch are pretty confident in what they want.
My wife was told the policy before she purchased the watch. She specifically said that it was a gift and would not buy it unless they permitted her to return it for a refund if I didn't like it. That's when the manager signed off on the receipt with the "return for refund permitted".

Since both her and the guy behind her in line to return a watch (both on Dec. 26), had the same thing on their receipts (refund scratched out, exchange written above it), it seems that this is a standard business tactic.

They DID give a full refund, so there isn't much I can do about being treated poorly. They did, however, keep the doctored receipt and gave my wife the credited receipt instead. They also did this with the other guy, which is their way of covering their ass (I'm guessing) if someone wanted to take them to court. After getting the refund, I'm guessing most people would be happy to just get out of there.

I found the same watch online for $1K cheaper, PLUS no tax.

Maybe there is something I'm missing, but if this is how they treat the average customer that walks through the doors, I'm baffled as to how they stay open.

Oh, and aruvqan, thanks for the link. I never heard of that watch brand before, but I've looked around the site, and there are a few watches that appeal to me.