Old 01-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Have you ever gotten stuck in your dream?

This is inspired by the interesting dream thread, but I didn't want to hijack it so I created my own.

I sometimes get stuck in my dreams, particularly if I'm taking a nap. What I mean by this is that I realize that I'm dreaming and try to wake myself up, but I can't. I will try to physically force my eyelids open and cannot. I will often end up screaming in the dream in hopes that it will alert someone in real life that I'm stuck and need help, but that doesn't work. It's probably the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced, to be stuck inside my own subconscious mind.

I'm just wondering if any other Dopers ever experience this phenomena. Like I said, it happens most often when I'm taking a nap, and I'm a light sleeper, so it may have something to do with that as well. Anybody know what's happening or why it happens?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Yep, it's happened to me several times, especially during times of sleep paralysis. Sometimes I would scream and claw and fight my way to consciousness only to feel myself getting sucked back into the dream, over and over. Awful.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Had this experience just the other night. I was in the middle of a really stressful dream where my husband had accidentally killed someone and I was trying to save him from the cops who wanted to arrest him for capital murder.

I knew I was dreaming, but couldn't rouse myself out of the nightmare.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:03 PM
I had a nightmare just last night in which I was being incredibly violent. I knew it was a dream, and I tried to wake myself up (since I don't ENJOY being incredibly violent), but somehow that wove itself into the dream and I had to get to a particular room in the building before I could wake up.

Even after getting to that room, the dream continued until I killed the last person.

I woke up exhausted and in a really foul mood. Luckily the dogs got me back to myself in no time. Relentless sweetness will do that.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:25 PM
This just happened to me for the first time about a month ago. It was a bit scary because I usually just snap out of dreams once things get too weird and I realize that it's just a dream. This time I couldn't. I knew it was a dream, but I was stuck. So I assumed that I was dead, and then I woke up.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm able to wake myself up from a bad dream. In fact, depending on the dream I can tell you why I need to wake up. If it's a claustrophobic dream then it means my nose is stuffed up and I'm having problems breathing. If the dream turns violent it means I'm getting a migraine headache.

I've awoken during sleep paralysis many times. What I do is look for a part of my body that is "awake" and move it until the rest of my body can move. For some reason that is usually a finger.

One thing I've discovered is that certain drugs greatly affect dreaming. Guaifenesin (an expectorant) will always create a looping dream that I will fall back into.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:44 PM
I had dreams, well actually nightmares, where I was able to wake myself up, finding myself in my bed, only to find that I was still dreaming that same nightmare, this sometimes repeated 4 or 5 times.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:46 PM
I've had sleep paralysis, too. It's awful. Now when I get it, I sort of tell myself, "OK, this is familiar," but that old sensation of FUCK I CAN'T OPEN MY EYES OH GOD OH GOD is awful.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I've definitely experienced what you're describing. It's very disturbing. The last time it happened was about two months ago and I heard my phone make the "you have a text message" chime while asleep and I tried to open my eyes and move my limbs but I couldn't do it. Everything just took an impossible amount of effort. I even had a dream that I had managed to roll over and answer the phone but I couldn't talk. When I was finally able to wake up, I checked the time the text came and it took me 5 minutes to actually wake up.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Is sleep paralysis the actual technical term for it? I didn't know there was a term!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 AM
This sounds horrible. If I realize 'Hey, I'm dreaming' I wake up instantly, even if it was a good dream that I would have liked to continue. This can suck sometimes but I guess it's worth it to not get stuck in nightmares too.

Last edited by Terraplane; 01-07-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Happens to me once in a while. Usually I try to jolt myself out of it, but sometimes I panic. I'll start trying to yell "wake me up" or something, but it comes out as MWAAAAAAAAAAH...which doesn't go over well with my wife in the middle of the night.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Oh yeah, it happens to me from time to time. The first time was really, really weird. I knew I was asleep. I knew I was dreaming. But I couldn't get myself to snap out of it. It's a bit easier to handle now, although sometimes I think I have in fact woken up and am walking about, only to later come to and find out that I was still asleep.

I also make the strange, muffed "MWAAAAAA!!!!!" sounds.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:29 PM
It happens to me 2 or 3 times a year. I'm not sure if I'm stuck in a dream or if I'm awake and just frozen. I try to figure it out while I'm trying to make sure I'm still breathing. It's terrifying each time, even though I know what it is while it's going on.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:43 PM
MY Problem Is.......

...... waking up and then not being able to get back into a dream.

Sometimes I can, most times I can't, and some of them are pretty nice. Not that they're sexual in nature, but just that they show me as having a relationship again with a woman or girl from my past and either repeating the early days or doing the bad times over and this time getting them right.

The ones I can't "get away" from, my doc calls "Night Terrors", and those are my own private Stephen King novels. Not in that I enjoy them, especially, but that they are very vivid and I tend to remember them for a long time after that.

I have also been writing my dreams (no matter what they are) into a special "DREAMS" folder on my computer.

Q
Old 01-07-2010, 07:42 PM
I used to be able to control my dreams when I was younger. During a particularly bad or unbelievable dream, I would remember to bite my lip. If I didn't feel pain, I was dreaming. If I did feel pain (which obviously never happened in my dreams,) it was real life. I would then allow the bad guy/monster to get me, which at the height of the scariest part would cause me to wake up from my dream. If I could remember, I would also force myself to look upwards and diagonally to either the right or the left, which causes enough discomfort to wake me up.

I haven't done this in a while, though. Although I remember to bite my lip, I find it harder to remember that I'm just dreaming and quickly recede back into my dream. I wish I could learn how to fix this because I have a lot of bad dreams I'd like to wake up from.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Charter Member
Wow. No, I've not had that one.

I have had many incidents of dreaming, then somehow feeling in-dream my real physical state (paralysed & lying down) & so dreaming that I was stuck & unable to move. But being lucidly in a dream & utterly unable to wake, no, not that I recall.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 PM
I've only had it happen once, but it wasn't really a panic-inducing sleep paralysis thing. In my dream, I was wandering around a mall food court of some kind, and out of the blue I realized I was dreaming. I told myself to wake up, but I couldn't, so I thought "eh, fuck it" and went back to wandering. I do, though, hope never to experience the sort of thing some of you have.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Once I had the experience of being stuck in a dream and it was quite frightening.

I was asleep, I woke up, walked to my living room and looked outside, then realized I couldn't be awake because it was summer outdoors-- and I was aware that we were in January. So then I willed myself to awaken, and I did: then I walked to the study and looked outside, but it wasn't my street, so I started to be a bit nervous. I willed myself to wake up out of this dream again, and I did. But when I left my bedroom, the house was different... and I woke myself up again. I don't remember what I saw next, but I screamed as loud as I could in order to wake myself up. I woke up then, drenched in sweat.

That was my first morning of what turned out to be pneumonia.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:28 AM
I get stuck in my dreams all the time, especially if I'm sleeping on my back. It really sucks since I have frequent nightmares and I can sort of feel pain in them.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
Is sleep paralysis the actual technical term for it? I didn't know there was a term!
Yeah, that's the term for being mentally awake but not being able to control your body. It's a problem to do with the changeover between the systems that keep you going when you're asleep and the ones that work when you're awake. Being stuck in a dream while having sleep paralysis is an extra annoyance, though, not part of sleep paralysis per se.

Naps do make it worse, because your body's confused about when it should be on the sleep system and when it should be on the awake system. Having a regular sleep pattern and regular sleeping habits (like sleeping in the same place) help a lot.

I get it at least once a week, but then I do have pretty severe sleep and consciousness problems.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:33 AM
I get sleep paralysis quite often. One thing I've noticed, is that it frequently happens to me when I'm "super tired". If I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, then there's a good chance I'm going to get sleep paralysis (which wakes me up, so I remember the experience).

It also goes with hallucinations in my experience. e.g. I'm in bed, aware I'm having a sleep paralysis experience. But then I hear someone slam my bedroom door...this is alarming since I live alone! I struggle and get control of my body back, and quickly sit up: the door's just as I left it. I (obviously) imagined the door slam.

Luckily the level of consciousness in paralysis dreams is quite high, so generally I take these hallucinations for what they are now.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 PM
What a timely topic... I was just thinking about my experiences with sleep paralysis after a sleep study questionnaire asked if I had experienced anything like this.

It's happened only a couple times for me. My memory of these episodes are rooted in this semi-awake state so though I'm pretty sure it's happened, this lingering feeling of 'it-was-only-a-dream' persists. I can remember waking up, but not being able to move at all. Somehow I had this urgent and panic-inducing feeling that if I didn't roll over onto my stomach NOW, I would cause irreparable harm to my body. I try and try and try and still cannot muster up the effort to heave myself onto my stomach. This exaggerates the panic and terror that I feel. Finally, after what seems like a long time, but in reality is only a couple minutes, I let out this subconscious roar and mobilize every muscle in my body and flop over like a fish out of water.

I never want to experience sleep paralysis ever again, and there's this unease I associate with sleep sometimes.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngel View Post
I had a nightmare just last night in which I was being incredibly violent. I knew it was a dream, and I tried to wake myself up (since I don't ENJOY being incredibly violent), but somehow that wove itself into the dream and I had to get to a particular room in the building before I could wake up.
Oh, I've had a dream like that. I got all choppy with a meat cleaver. I could not wake myself up at all. So eventually, in the dream I think I yelled "That's enough! I'm done with this shit!" and I crossed my arms and refused to participate anymore in the dream. I stood there until I woke up.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:04 PM
BANNED
When I was young I used to speak Serbo-Croatian, but I haven't spoken it in 40 years, so I no longer can speak it or understand it.

But every once in awhile I'll have a dream with my mum or dad or another person, speaking it to me and I do fine answering back, then I get stuck, 'cause I'm like, "Wait a minute I can't speak that anymore," and then I'll lose track of the dream and wake up.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
One thing I've discovered is that certain drugs greatly affect dreaming. Guaifenesin (an expectorant) will always create a looping dream that I will fall back into.
Huh. I got badly stuck in a dream the other day, and I'm on Mucinex at the moment. Lots and lots of guaifenesin.

This doesn't happen to me very often but it does happen from time to time. And I go on Mucinex from time to time as well. Hmmm...
Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
When I was young I used to speak Serbo-Croatian, but I haven't spoken it in 40 years, so I no longer can speak it or understand it.

But every once in awhile I'll have a dream with my mum or dad or another person, speaking it to me and I do fine answering back, then I get stuck, 'cause I'm like, "Wait a minute I can't speak that anymore," and then I'll lose track of the dream and wake up.
1. Since I'm bilingual, I sometimes dream of being with my German friends and dream I'm speaking German with them.

2. I can also feel pain in my dreams and I hate it when my cat claws my balls.
(and my cat is de-clawed, though not by us - I just feel I have to say that every time)

3. And I also cry. I hate when that happens!

Thanks

Q
Old 01-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodIndigo1 View Post
Once I had the experience of being stuck in a dream and it was quite frightening.

I was asleep, I woke up, walked to my living room and looked outside, then realized I couldn't be awake because it was summer outdoors-- and I was aware that we were in January. So then I willed myself to awaken, and I did: then I walked to the study and looked outside, but it wasn't my street, so I started to be a bit nervous. I willed myself to wake up out of this dream again, and I did. But when I left my bedroom, the house was different... and I woke myself up again. I don't remember what I saw next, but I screamed as loud as I could in order to wake myself up. I woke up then, drenched in sweat.
My "stuck in a dream" experiences are like this -- a dream within a dream. Sometimes I have the opposite, though. I dream that I'm in a situation where I'm so sleepy I can't keep my eyes. open.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 PM
But not as much as having my balls clawed. That shit hurts!

Q
Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckafree View Post
My "stuck in a dream" experiences are like this -- a dream within a dream. Sometimes I have the opposite, though. I dream that I'm in a situation where I'm so sleepy I can't keep my eyes. open.
Oh, sweet Jeebus! I HATE dreams like that. I had a terrible dream once that I was exhausted and trying desperately to find a place to sleep. I was so tired. So very, very tired. I remember one part of the dream I crawled under an SUV hoping they would be parked just long enough for me to gt even just ten minutes of sleep, but of course they drove off.

I was in such a pissy mood for the day after I woke up for real.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Charter Member
Yes, being stuck is the most common theme in my (rare) unpleasant dreams.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 AM
I have definitely experienced that several times, though not in years. It was terrifying each time except for the second last time, which was the time I learned how to get out of it. The first four or five times I too did the attempted thrash/scream thing because I really started to think that I must be having some sort of medical emergency and should try to attract help, though I succeeded in making no sound or movement.

I heard an almost jet-engine like roar in my ears every time this happened, and my visual field was also overloaded or redirected too...I could only see vaguely symbol-like blotches of color (black, orange/ocher, and some white) regardless of whether my eyes were "opened or closed" (i.e. I don't know if my eyelids were really responding, it felt like they were...). Very freaky. They tended to last an eternal 15-45 seconds or more, it seemed to me. I was very motivated to learn how to counteract these terrifying events even though they were very rare! I associate these some of the time with waking up within a dream. That was the terrifying part, as I though I was awake and then something impossible would occur or something from the dream would appear and leap at me or whatever...not fucking pleasant!

Each time it happened I learned a bit more. Each event, I noticed, was preceded by telltale signs and stages. First something impossible or threatening would happen in the dream (and in the dream I would often THINK that I was already awake so it really would get my attention!). Second I would have the knee-jerk escape/wake reaction, instantly becoming aware that I was dreaming and wanting it to stop (NOW!). So, third, I would "back away from" or try to "back out of" the dream, and as I was mentally jerking myself backward, fleeing, retreating, or what have you, and I would be almost instantly totally trounced by the effect instead... the locomotive of sensation would slam me, my hearing would roar, my visual field would blot out with colors and patterns and it would be very very unpleasant as it was like being tossed around by a force that is thousands of times more powerful than one's self...like a tornado basically.

The way I learned to beat it was to NOT back away or attempt to back out of the dream. It was the revulsion or horror that seemed to be causing the neural jam up. The sixth or so time it happened to me I was fully expecting it to because the scary event had happened and the resulting fear and wanting to wake up and escape was setting in. So BEFORE my panic really gripped hard and caused me to automatically "back away" or "run for it" as it were, I instead somersaulted forward on a whim. As soon as I did this, the dream just became one of floating around peacefully, nothing sinister, and I could wake up at will or choose to stay asleep knowing the event wouldn't happen. I've since had it "try" to happen a few times and done the somersault again with the same effect. On one occasion I forgot to and backed away and got slammed, but it was only a few seconds long and not too scary because I knew exactly what was happening and what I had done wrong.

I'm very curious to know if other heard a roaring jets noise and saw overriding color patterns like I did.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't experience those. With me it's like I'm laying there awake with my eyelids closed. I cannot move a single muscle, except maybe my eyes, but since my eyelids are closed I'm not sure. It's like I'm completely paralyzed. My main focus is to try to figure out if I'm still breathing or not.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:33 AM
Literally just happened

I've been experiencing small nightmares all night, I'd say I had 5-6 vivid nightmares each ending with 2-3 minutes of sleep paralysis, I hadn't slept for 3 days so after the 4th one I read some stuff on the Internet and put it down to sleep deprivation, fair enough

The one I just had was different
I thought I'd just woken myself up in bed and I went to the living room where there was a barrier like I was trapped in a certain zone, someone appeared and explained to me that I was trapped in the dream world and wouldn't be able to escape. I did my usual eye opening thing that usual works and voila I was back in bed. I thought it was over but anytime I tried to do anything normal I would just reset in bed thinking I'd finally done it... This happened around 70 times before the birds started tweeting and I knew I was finally safe ><

Sorry that was long but I came to the Internet for answers and to see if anyone else had experienced this; glad I am not alone ^^
Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngel View Post

Even after getting to that room, the dream continued until I killed the last person.

I woke up exhausted and in a really foul mood. Luckily the dogs got me back to myself in no time. Relentless sweetness will do that.

I had a nightmare.. i was trapped in a different version of my home i knew that i was sleeping but i couldnt wake myself up. Everytime i thought i was gonna wake up the scene changed into another version of my home and the people living in it. That continued for i think an hour untill i finally woke up. It hasn't happened since. ( this was in 2015 )
Old 08-17-2016, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
This is inspired by the interesting dream thread, but I didn't want to hijack it so I created my own.

I sometimes get stuck in my dreams, particularly if I'm taking a nap. What I mean by this is that I realize that I'm dreaming and try to wake myself up, but I can't. I will try to physically force my eyelids open and cannot. I will often end up screaming in the dream in hopes that it will alert someone in real life that I'm stuck and need help, but that doesn't work. It's probably the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced, to be stuck inside my own subconscious mind.

I'm just wondering if any other Dopers ever experience this phenomena. Like I said, it happens most often when I'm taking a nap, and I'm a light sleeper, so it may have something to do with that as well. Anybody know what's happening or why it happens?
What are you seeing? And how long does this last a minute? Two or three minute?

Do other people in house know this is happening to you?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
This just happened to me for the first time about a month ago. It was a bit scary because I usually just snap out of dreams once things get too weird and I realize that it's just a dream. This time I couldn't. I knew it was a dream, but I was stuck. So I assumed that I was dead, and then I woke up.

I some times get into semi awake state. Going in and out of sleep. Part of my body is still dreaming. And I'm trying to awake from a semi awake state.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:22 AM
A few years ago, I had the craziest dream, ever. I was stuck in the dream, then I would wake up, then I would fall back into the dream again. The dream was semi-lucid, meaning I was aware that it was a dream, but couldn't control my actions.

There were all kinds of epic things happening in this dream, including my impending death. Like, I was dying in this dream and I knew it was a dream, but I was very much dying in a way that felt real.

I woke up four or five times, but I couldn't escape the dream. I tried, because it was a terrifying mixture of dreams and reality. Every time I woke up, I was terrified and questioning reality. I knew it was a dream at first, but then I started questioning if the dream was reality or me in a bed in my apartment was reality.

I was dying and people I hadn't seen in decades were there, and I was impossibly regretful and apologizing to people for dying, then I would wake up and try to stay out of the dream, but I couldn't. It was horrible and fascinating after the fact. I've had lucid and semi-lucid dreams before, but this one was singular.

So, yes. I've been stuck in a dream before. It wasn't fun, but it was a notable experience.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I some times get into semi awake state. Going in and out of sleep. Part of my body is still dreaming. And I'm trying to awake from a semi awake state.
Hypnagogia and hypnnopompia (going into and coming out of the sleep state) are great times to experience weird hallucinations. Being sleep deprived seems to increase the likelihood of things occurring.

Last week I was woken by one of our dogs poking at me, like she will if she needs to go out. I got out of bed to let her out, but our bedroom door was closed (window air conditioner) and the dog wasn't in the room. I searched everywhere for the dog, eventually turning the lights on, waking my gf.

I finally came to terms with it being hyper-realistic dream/hallucination thing, climbed back into bed, and the alarm went off.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
Aleve (naproxen sodium) gives me long, intense dreams with looping.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Hypnagogia and hypnnopompia (going into and coming out of the sleep state) are great times to experience weird hallucinations. Being sleep deprived seems to increase the likelihood of things occurring.
Last week's Skeptic's Guide to the Universe podcast had a great discussion on this topic.

Last edited by kayaker; 08-18-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:05 AM
How do you know you're not stuck in a dream RIGHT NOW???
Old 08-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
How do you know you're not stuck in a dream RIGHT NOW???
[Waltzes kicks boulder.] Thus I refute Jackson.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
I had dreams, well actually nightmares, where I was able to wake myself up, finding myself in my bed, only to find that I was still dreaming that same nightmare, this sometimes repeated 4 or 5 times.
Similar things have happened to me. Sometimes I have woken up, but go back to sleep and continue the same dream. Sometimes I think I've woken up and gone back to sleep and returned to the same dream, but it turns out the whole thing was a dream.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
What are you seeing? And how long does this last a minute? Two or three minute?

Do other people in house know this is happening to you?
It's similar to what the previous poster was describing. I will try whatever I can to physically wake myself up -- try to physically lift my eyelids up, or roll myself off the bed onto the floor, and in the dream I will imagine doing exactly that, and then go about my business, walking around the house, grabbing a snack, getting ready to go to work, etc., and then I realize that I'm still dreaming. Rinse, repeat.

It's hard for me to say how long it lasts, since dream time and waking time do not always correlate. I will say that this happened more frequently in college, when I would lay down for an hour or so to take a nap. It used to happen perhaps once every few months, before I was able to recognize the triggers and avoid them (biggest trigger is trying to sleep without setting an alarm, unless I'm planning to stay down for the night).

In talking with my friends who have not experienced this phenomenon, I have noticed that I am an unusually conscious dreamer; in other words, I become aware that I am dreaming much more frequently than my friends do.

And no, no one else in the house knows that it's happening. Apparently, no matter how fervently I try to scream for help, no sound comes out and I don't even stir in my sleep.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Jones View Post
A few years ago, I had the craziest dream, ever. I was stuck in the dream, then I would wake up, then I would fall back into the dream again. The dream was semi-lucid, meaning I was aware that it was a dream, but couldn't control my actions.

There were all kinds of epic things happening in this dream, including my impending death. Like, I was dying in this dream and I knew it was a dream, but I was very much dying in a way that felt real.

I woke up four or five times, but I couldn't escape the dream. I tried, because it was a terrifying mixture of dreams and reality. Every time I woke up, I was terrified and questioning reality. I knew it was a dream at first, but then I started questioning if the dream was reality or me in a bed in my apartment was reality.

I was dying and people I hadn't seen in decades were there, and I was impossibly regretful and apologizing to people for dying, then I would wake up and try to stay out of the dream, but I couldn't. It was horrible and fascinating after the fact. I've had lucid and semi-lucid dreams before, but this one was singular.

So, yes. I've been stuck in a dream before. It wasn't fun, but it was a notable experience.
This sort of thing happens to me from time to time, but I'm not completely convinced that I actually wake up intermittently. It sure seems like I do, but it might be that I just dreamed I wake up. It's really very fuzzy until I actually DO wake up.

Last edited by John Mace; 08-18-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:59 PM
Charter Member
I don't think sleep paralysis is the same as lucid dreaming. I don't remember having sleep paralysis, but have lucid dreamed all my life. I was nearly thirty before I read a magazine article on lucid dreaming and was shocked to discover that not everyone did it.

I can't imagine trying to wake up just because I know I'm asleep. Even if bad things are happening, I usually know they're coming up before they happen and I can take steps. If I don't take steps fast enough, I can rewind - or fly - or just remind myself that it isn't real. I even teleported once.

As to Doctor Jackson's question, I know I'm not asleep because I can feel gravity and I can't feel what's going to happen in the next few minutes. Also, I can't change my point of view to look at myself and don't feel that tug that I can pull back on to fly or rewind.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:47 PM
I was a lucid dreamer as a kid. I used it to wake up from nightmares. Since I knew that I always woke up if I fell from a high enough distance, I'd "change the scenery" so that I was in a high spot and jump.

Once I was with one of my sisters in a dream and tried to wake her up, too, by pulling her off a cliff with me. But, sadly, she was still asleep when I woke up.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:13 AM
I have always had very VIVID, crazy, sometimes violent dreams that I remember all too well after waking. It's always amazed me how the emotions I was feeling in the dreams would still be with me once I woke up! THAT can be very unsettling...... especially when those feelings linger for most of the day....

I used to tell my family and friends about them until they started giving me really funny and worried looks, like they were wondering if I was mentally disturbed or something.... I stopped telling anyone about what I dream. I've pretty much experienced it all...sleep paralysis, lucid dreaming, the ability to wake myself up if things get TOO out of control.

I also have a certain reoccurring dream..... For me, these are the most disturbing dreams of all. You see, there's this house I dream about... a really big house.... that I've been dreaming about for the past 35 or 40 years now. It's definitely NOT a house I've seen or been in in real life. Nor is it a house I've seen on TV. BUT I KNOW IT SO WELL.... and BAD, BAD things have happened in this house. I'm seriously terrified of it!!!!

When I wake up after a dream about this house, it worries me and I find myself fretting about it ALL day.... I've dreamed about it so many times and I remember every awful detail..... and I don't want to! I DO NOT WANT TO!

I was looking at Real Estate videos of houses a few months back and I saw a house with some similar features to the one in my dream. This house was on a dead end road and you had to drive past the house to enter the driveway. As the person filming drove down the road, the house was on the driver's right. They drove past the house, then turned right into the driveway. The driveway then veered sharply right so that it ran parallel to the road, this put the house to the left of the driver and the road they'd just turned off of was to the right. The driveway passed in front of the house to circle around to the side where there was a sharp incline downward to get to the garage on the back. There was a huge tree with branches that hung over the driveway and the right corner of the house that you had to drive under to go around the house.

I have to admit, my heart started beating alarmingly fast as I saw these similarities to my dream house. So much of the scenery and the drive up was like my dream house BUT the house itself was not the same. This two story house was painted a bright white with yellow shutters. Not at all like my dream house... But it was disturbing to know how I was affected by just those few similarities, how seeing that video caused my heart to beat faster and my adrenaline to spike..... so damn scary... It's just a dream, right?
Old 08-19-2016, 05:17 AM
I have never experienced exactly what you decribe but I've had sleep paralysis several times and indeed it's very unpleasant.

What I've started experiencing fairly recently is having radom images flash before my eyes in the seconds after I wake up. It feels as if my brain goes into panic mode: "What, time to wake up already ? But I haven't processed this yet. And this. And this. And this."

Weird.