Old 01-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Integral sign with a circle on it

What does it mean? It looks like a normal integral sign, with an open circle super-imposed in the middle of the squiggle.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Integral over a closed path.

Last edited by Machine Elf; 01-05-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Mod Rocker
Also known as a Contour Integral.

Last edited by tomndebb; 01-05-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
Also known as a Contour Integral.
A contour integral can be over any contour not necessarily a closed path (which starts and ends at the same spot. So all integrals over closed paths are contour integrals (as are all normal real line integrals whose path is just some portion of the real line), but not all contour integrals are integrals over closed paths. The symbol the OP asked about is usually just for closed paths.

BTW a double integral with a superimposed circle (or often oval) is an integral over a closed surface. e.g., an integral of a function over an entire sphere.

Last edited by OldGuy; 01-05-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Ugghhh.

Those things can "take you to the limit" coming and going
Old 01-05-2010, 03:42 PM
What does it mean?

It mean's you're taking second semester engineering physics, Maxwell's equations, and your Calculus class isn't keeping up.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Charter Member
But relax, you won't need it ever again after you take the final.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
But relax, you won't need it ever again after you take the final.
Yep. I took all sorts of high level math classes in college, worked in a highly technical field in Silicon Valley, and I think the most difficult calculation I ever had to do on the job was to take an average.