Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
D&D Style Pewter Figures - Where to buy online

Having trouble finding D&D figures suitable for painting. Lady Chance adores painting these and has for - literally - decades.

For whatever reasons I can't seem to find a source online for her.

Can any of the teeming millions assist with a helpful link or two?
Old 01-13-2010, 09:38 PM
metal figures from Reaper Minatures

Also just googling searching for D&D pewter figures might yield some stuff esp. if you have specifics in mind.

Not sure though, maybe others know more
Old 01-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Are pewter paintable figures common? I thought the paintable figures tended to be lead whereas pewter figures tended to be used for non-paintable artwork? My info may be wildly out-of-date though; I haven't painted figures for 22 years.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Creature of the Night
They don't make lead figurines any more, if I understand correctly, as little kids eat them. The lead figurines were vastly more paintable and customizable, though.

http://darkswordminiatures.com/ is the only link I have that seems to be currently active.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
I think this will do better in Cafe Society, where the crafters hang out. If that doesn't do any good, we can try the Game Room later.

twickster, MPSIMS moderator
Old 01-13-2010, 11:39 PM
How many links do you want?

Paizo These guys aren't miniature producers but they have a big collection in their store from many different manufacturers.

Games Workshop - Go Warhammer - if you want Fantasy figures. (WH40k is science fiction), or they have an extensive Lord of the Rings line which is obviously fantasy too. Careful here however as some of the mini's are plastics not white metal from these guys.

Avatars of War - Highly detailed figures. The sculptor is ex Game Workshop (see above) so the style is similiar.

Heresy Miniatures some great mini's here and good people to deal with.

Repaer Mini's One of the oldest players in the game - literally thousands of mini's there. They were the official D&D mini producers back in 2nd Ed days.

Privateer Press - again they have two game systems one fantasy, one steampunky. They do some really nice mini's.

Dark Sword Mini's - really nice mini's. They hold official licenses for mini versions of artwork by Jeff Easley, & Larry Elmore, amongst others (famous for iconic D&D style artwork for those not in the know). They also have a license for mini's derived from George RR Martin's Fire & Ice novels.

Black Orc Games - never ordered form these blokes but they have a large range.

Crocodile Games - big range focused on various egyptian & similiar warband factions, but they have quite a bit outside that range as well.

Wyrd Miniatures Not necessarily D&D fantasy style but a lot of general fantasy style mini's, various beasties, etc.

That's a few of the major mini manufacturers. I've got links to a lot more small producers who are probably more a hobby than a business, with only a handful of sculpts each.

Also, if your missus has any interest in painting fantasy football mini's (Orcs, Trolls etc playing stylised Gridiron), I can post up some links to excellent manufacturers of those sort of mini's.

Last edited by GreedySmurf; 01-13-2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: bad bad spelling
Old 01-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Bodoni View Post
They don't make lead figurines any more, if I understand correctly, as little kids eat them. The lead figurines were vastly more paintable and customizable, though.
The mini manufacturers switched away from lead years ago, for that reason. Most of them use pewter or a similar metal now, which is, indeed, a little harder.

IME, once you prime a mini, lead vs. pewter doesn't make much of a difference for painting.

ToeJam's already linked to Reaper, which is my favorite maker of minis these days.

Some other good ones:
Darksword http://darkswordminiatures.com/
Iron Wind Metals http://ironwindmetals.com/d/
Rackham http://rackham.fr/
Privateer Press http://privateerpress.com/
Old 01-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
metal figures from Reaper Minatures
It's been a while since I painted miniatures with any regularity. From what I remember Reaper makes some fairly good quality generic miniatures for a reasonable price.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreedySmurf View Post
Repaer Mini's One of the oldest players in the game - literally thousands of mini's there. They were the official D&D mini producers back in 2nd Ed days.
You're thinking of Ral Partha which started in the 1970s, was bought by some other company in the 90s, and ended up going totally out of business sometime in 2000-2002. Ral Partha made a lot of miniatures and paints I used in the early 90s. They produced minis for D&D's "Battlesystem" game as well as mechs for FASA's Battletech line.

Lead to Pewter: Was it concern for the children or having to jump through environmental regulations to produce lead products that caused manufacturers to use the more expensive pewter?

Last edited by Odesio; 01-14-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
You're thinking of Ral Partha which started in the 1970s, was bought by some other company in the 90s, and ended up going totally out of business sometime in 2000-2002. Ral Partha made a lot of miniatures and paints I used in the early 90s. They produced minis for D&D's "Battlesystem" game as well as mechs for FASA's Battletech line.
Well there you go. I was sure Reaper had a license from TSR at some point. but apparently not from what I can track down. I must of been thinking of Ral Partha. Now that I think about it I think their catalogue is now owned by IronWind, which someone has posted a link to above.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Man, I was beaten to the punch by everyone.

I also recommend Reaper. My favorite for quite a while now.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Surprised that no one has mentioned it yet, but eBay has a huge selection of figures. A lot of OOP pieces can be found. And current miniatures can had for next to nothing.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Awesome thread - I love painting and buying minis for my DND games - I hate, hate, HATE the prepainted WOTC ones for anything other then generic monsters. Players always get more into their characters when they have a mini that they can paint themselves.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Games Workshop - Go Warhammer - if you want Fantasy figures. (WH40k is science fiction), or they have an extensive Lord of the Rings line which is obviously fantasy too. Careful here however as some of the mini's are plastics not white metal from these guys.
While GW minis are excellent, they are a larger scale than the old Ral Partha ones.

They are also insanely expensive.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:21 PM
SDSAB
Aw, I loved Ral Partha back in the day. Sorry to hear it folded.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Well there you go. I was sure Reaper had a license from TSR at some point. but apparently not from what I can track down. I must of been thinking of Ral Partha. Now that I think about it I think their catalogue is now owned by IronWind, which someone has posted a link to above.
You are correct; Iron Wind wound up with the old RP molds, and still makes many of them.

One thing to note, for players from the old days: the scale of D&D-style minis has crept up over the years. Your old Ral Parlha or Grenadier 25mm guys from the 1980s are going to be dwarfed by modern minis, which are often in "heroic 25mm" or 28mm scale. Reaper's "Dark Heaven" line is generally a little more petite than their "Warlord" line, a lot of which seem to come in at well over 30mm.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-14-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awldune View Post
While GW minis are excellent, they are a larger scale than the old Ral Partha ones.

They are also insanely expensive.
Yeah, some of their Warhammer minis are frickin' huge. Their LotR line is pretty comparable in size to Reaper, etc.

They do make some beautiful minis...but, I agree, they're also expensive as hell.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Man. I used to love painting my miniatures. (I also had Battletech mini's.) I would do it in between "game days", and my mind would wander through the various things the groups I was in were doing, plotting and planning my next moments of derring-do.

Now, I got a computer to waste my time on, and my mini's sit over in a corner, untouched for years.

Sometimes, I wish I could cast "time stop".
Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Yeah, some of their Warhammer minis are frickin' huge. Their LotR line is pretty comparable in size to Reaper, etc.

They do make some beautiful minis...but, I agree, they're also expensive as hell.
Games Workshop have gone with 'herioc' 28mm size (so 30mm really) the last few years, so yep, pretty big scale wise. Although I got the impression from the OP it was more, painting for paintings sake then necassarily for use in a game.

Apparently one of the conditions for the license they have for LOTR mini's, is the mini's can't be used with any of their other game systems, so the LOTR are true 25mm scale rather than 28mm or 'heroic' 28mm.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Games Workshop also has an even higher end resin line: Forgeworld
Most of the models are of the futuristic 40k line, but there are some fantasy type monsters too.

Incredible detail but they are even more expensive. :P (the biggest ones even top $1000 lol)
Old 01-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Although I got the impression from the OP it was more, painting for paintings sake then necassarily for use in a game.
True. And, I'll note that, regardless of scale, many of the modern sculpts are far, far better than most of the old ones. The detail on Reaper's stuff, particularly their releases from the last few years, is simply amazing. (One could probably say the same about a lot of the other manufacturers, as well, but Reaper's where I get most of my minis, and so, that's what I'm most familiar with.)

I've still got a lot of unpainted minis that I bought when I first got into D&D in the early '80s. I realize that I'll likely never paint them, largely because so many of them are just so crudely sculpted, in comparison to what's available today.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Thanks for starting this thread, JC. I've been interested in trying out miniature painting as a hobby for a while now, but I never could find any to buy locally.

Question for those of you who have painted these figures before: do you think these learn to paint kits from Reaper's website would be a good way to start out? If not, what do you recommend?

One more question: why are some of the figures, like these, green instead of grey?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Credible View Post
One more question: why are some of the figures, like these, green instead of grey?

That's a picture of the 'master copy' of the miniature.

The original sculpting on any miniature (well of this style of fantasy miniature) is normally done in a two part epoxy putty. The most common variety to use funnily enough is called 'Green Stuff', well because it is green when mixed This original sculpt is usually refered to as a 'Green'. The Green is then used to make a mould for casting the mini in White Metal.

Quite often the light colour of a white metal mini can make it difficult to photograph well, particulary to pick out any fine detail, so you will often see the Green used as an example shot of what the mini looks like.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
From Lady Chance I pass on sincere thanks, people.

She and I are old enough to have played, painted and such in the 1970s, God help us, and she still has a large collection (packed in foam, of course) of miniatures she's painted over the last 30 years.

Your efforts in this thread have brought joy to a middle-aged fantasy crafter. Well done!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Remind her to post pics of her efforts! It should be shared amongst us fellow mini-painters.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
Remind her to post pics of her efforts! It should be shared amongst us fellow mini-painters.

+1

Would love to see some of her paint jobs. I'm a complete pleb when it comes to painting mini's but I love to see others work.