Old 01-20-2010, 01:41 AM
Lost Wallet, Found few hours later, do I cancel my cards?

I lost my wallet at Wal-Mart last night. When I realized it was missing I called the store and spoke to someone who said a wallet was found and is with cash control. The person described my wallet so I know they have it. I don't know if my cash is still there or of all my cards are. if the cards are should I cancel and have them re-issued or just watch for purchases I didn't make. Besides the credit cards were two debit cards and my Driver's License.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:08 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyL View Post
I lost my wallet at Wal-Mart last night. When I realized it was missing I called the store and spoke to someone who said a wallet was found and is with cash control. The person described my wallet so I know they have it. I don't know if my cash is still there or of all my cards are. if the cards are should I cancel and have them re-issued or just watch for purchases I didn't make. Besides the credit cards were two debit cards and my Driver's License.
Just ring the store and ask if the cards are inside the wallet. If they are, don't worry about cancelling them. If they're NOT, get on the blower to your bank immediately and put a stop on them.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Store is closed until 7. I'll be there when they open to get my wallet and see what is there/missing
Old 01-20-2010, 02:55 AM
Were it my wallet, I'd cancel my cards anyway. You don't know who's had access to your credit and debit cards (and any other ID) while it was out of your posession.

But that's just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:31 AM
I would call your bank, ASAP, and let them know the situation.
You can usually go to a bank and they will give you a new provisional card on the spot and send you the other card through the mail.
Chances are everyone has been honest (hey, they turned in the wallet!) but you never know.
And it should only take a few minutes at the bank(s) to get new cards - so better safe than sorry.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:47 AM
I'd cancel everything and put the usual "lost card" fraud alerts on my credit reports, just in case, since the cards were lost with ID to go along.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:56 AM
I guess I'm lazy because I have canceled cards before and it is a pain. so I would let it slide. I'd figure that no-one found my wallet, ran around making hordes of fraudulent transactions and then took it back to where I lost it.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Maybe instead of going through the hastle of cancelling all the cards, you can just notify your bank(s) about what happened, then they and you can watch for any unusual purchases? They may make you cancel anyway because it's easier for them, but if you ask they may have other measures they can take without having to actually cancel the cards.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyL View Post
Store is closed until 7. I'll be there when they open to get my wallet and see what is there/missing
A common scam is to steal someone's wallet, copy the card information and then return or turn in the wallet quickly. The owner thinks everything is OK and does not cancel the cards. Meanwhile, the shopping has begun...
Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Well I have my wallet back. I didn't cancel any cards because everything seemed to be exactly how it was including the junk papers in there. I do watch what purchases show on my cards daily so if someone does try to use the #'s online I will know.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 AM
BANNED
I lost or got my wallet stolen and in addition to a large sum of money (it was so large I'm embarrased to admit how much I had), I had credit cards.

I noticed the wallet missing at I was leaving the gym at 8pm, by the time I got home at 8:30pm and cancelled the cards they were used. Even days later I got charges coming up on them. All together about $2,000 was charged.

Of course the credit card companies dropped the charges made. More than a month later I got a call from the gym saying they "found" my wallet. Everything but the cash was in the wallet.

So whatever happened there, you need to call in the cards as stolen. I'd do it for all the charges.