Old 01-20-2010, 12:24 PM
What's a good way to crumble a block of blue cheese?

I've got a block of "Crumbly Gorgonzola" that's not really crumbling easily. Cutting off pieces with a knife is fine, but is there an easy way of getting those nice crumbles? Doing it by hand is messy and results in ugly, squashed balls.

Help?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Charter Member
It can be tricky if the cheese is really soft.

Try a fork, flaking bits off.

It also helps to have it really cold - like throw it in the freezer for 15 minutes before you try crumbling it.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
It can be tricky if the cheese is really soft.

Try a fork, flaking bits off.

It also helps to have it really cold - like throw it in the freezer for 15 minutes before you try crumbling it.
Old thread, but almost exact for me recently. I like to add to endives crumbled blue cheese and walnuts. Could anyone suggest particular names of blues that crumble well? OP. I've tried Roquefort and Gorgonzola.

Thanks,
Leo
Old 05-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
I buy it pre-crumbled.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Old thread, but almost exact for me recently. I like to add to endives crumbled blue cheese and walnuts. Could anyone suggest particular names of blues that crumble well? OP. I've tried Roquefort and Gorgonzola.

Thanks,
Leo
Stilton?
Old 05-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Stilton?
I love Stilton (with Port, natch) but it's been a long time since I dug into one. Isn't it a little too creamy? I should note that empirical research on this is eminently worthwhile , but there are so many out there. Would a goat/cow mix work? Do blues exist as mix-milks? I could live with the taste tarting up.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Charter Member
Maytag crumbles well.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:32 AM
Large Hadron Collider
Old 05-08-2011, 06:23 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Doing it by hand is messy and results in ugly, squashed balls.
Here's your problem: when I crumble cheese, my balls don't enter into the process at all.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Charter Member
Just to jump in for a second.... Melt that blue cheese on raisin bread with some grilled pears. It is freaking delicious. The chef at my mom's retirement home makes it sometimes. Nom nom nom!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Blue cheese can be crumbled by hand if you have cold hands. If, like me (and Alton Brown) you tend to warm paws, then chill your cheese and run your hands under cold water for a bit before you crumble it.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Freeze the cheese, even for a short time, then thaw. It will crumble beautifully.