Old 01-22-2010, 05:48 PM
BANNED
will japanese laserdiscs work in an american player?

i want to get the Phantom Menace (only for collector's purposes, of course)

I have a Pioneer CLD-V2400 if it matters
Old 01-22-2010, 06:01 PM
I have played American LaserDisks on my Japanese player, at any rate.

I'm quite certain that the format is the same.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:12 PM
You should be alright. North America and Japan both use the NTSC standard and there was no region coding on LDs.

Last edited by Hodge; 01-22-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Yes, I have played Japanese LaserDiscs on my American player.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:48 AM
Here's another datapoint: yes, you can play Japenese LDs on American players, and vice versa. Hodge has the details correct. (Oddly enough, despite the fact that Hong Kong broadcast in PAL, their laserdiscs were NTSC as well, so you can safely import and play them as well.)

The Japanese LD of Phantom Menace was actually imported and sold by a number of national chains as part of their standard laserdisc selection; Tower Records and (iirc) Camelot Music both carried it.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off