Old 02-22-2010, 07:11 PM
I just bought a tube of braunschweiger (liver sausage). Now what?

How do you eat your braunschweiger (liver sausage)? All I know of is spread on crackers and made into a liver sausage-onion sandwich with mayo. There must be more.

Oops, I meant to put this in Cafe Society, because where else would one eat liver sausage? Could a mod move it? Thanks.

Last edited by needscoffee; 02-22-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Graphite is a great
Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
How do you eat your braunschweiger (liver sausage)? All I know of is spread on crackers and made into a liver sausage-onion sandwich with mayo. There must be more.

Oops, I meant to put this in Cafe Society, because where else would one eat liver sausage? Could a mod move it? Thanks.
Done!

samclem Moderator, General Questions
Old 02-22-2010, 07:41 PM
I don't think there IS much more you can do with it than make a sandwich. I like mine on an onion roll with hot mustard. I don't think it's a very healthy thing to eat, but dang, when I do buy it, I enjoy it all the more.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:43 PM
To toss it to the dog. Then when he doesn't eat it, through it out.

Then order a pizza. With extra cheese.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Cooks.com can't seem to get much beyond spreads, dips, and balls.

Sounds like a pretty fun evening.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 PM
It doesn't need to go on anything other than crackers and bread. It's damned tasty just that way.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Charter Member
My family has a tradition of slicing it and making it into a sandwich with cheese and mustard.

Your choice of cheese, bread and mustard - haven't found a bad combination yet.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I don't think there IS much more you can do with it than make a sandwich. I like mine on an onion roll with hot mustard. I don't think it's a very healthy thing to eat, but dang, when I do buy it, I enjoy it all the more.
It is loaded with fat, but that in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing. Along with the fat, you get a buttload of Vitamin A and B12, as well as good amounts of other B-complex vitamins and iron. So, I'd imagine, as with other things, all things in moderation.

Other than crackers and sandwiches, I can't imagine much to do with braunschweiger. I'm not sure I'd want to do anything else with it, it's so good in these two roles.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 PM
A fairly random pairing, but I went through a phase of eating toast topped with liver sausage with melted gjetost on top. And maybe some worcestershire sauce, a corrupted version of Welsh rabbit.

Savory as all get out.

Last edited by Huerta88; 02-22-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Twenty varieties all in one photo: http://usinger.com/ala_liver.php. My grocery store used to carry a lower-fat version, but it doesn't anymore. I'll have to check the German store down the street. I hear there is a version made with veal liver instead of pork.

This is what I've come up with: On white, rye or pumpernickel with hot mustard or butter, with or without pickles or sliced hard-boiled eggs. I think I have enough in this tube to try every option.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huerta88 View Post
A fairly random pairing, but I went through a phase of eating toast topped with liver sausage with melted gjetost on top. And maybe some worcestershire sauce, a corrupted version of Welsh rabbit.

Savory as all get out.
I am the world's biggest fan of liverwurst AND of gjetost, but your post made me throw up a little.

I loves my liverwurst on crusty bread with some homemade mayonnaise. Usually openfaced, but not always.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
To toss it to the dog. Then when he doesn't eat it, through it out.

Then order a pizza. With extra cheese.
I just know you're joking with me!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Quote:
I just know you're joking with me!
It's an acquired taste. I didn't like it when it was fed to me as Oscar Mayer liverwurst as a kid. I came to like it the long way around through foie gras, pate of same, to raunchier and raunchier liver stuff, to the point where now an Oscar Mayer liverwurst sandwich sounds pretty doggone good.

Same thing with blood sausage. Started with boudin, started not turning down the black pudding in Irish breakfast, and ended up in Salzburg chowing down on a big old bowl of . . . liver and blood fried up like taco meat.

Last edited by Huerta88; 02-22-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Seems like it would do well as a substitute for Pate. I do a kind of beef wellington with individual ribeye steaks, adding braunschweiger to the mushroom sauce inside the crust might be interesting. I bet it could kind of melt into a sauce of some kind, maybe with a rissoto. Or some kind of riff on rumaki. Time to fire up the test kitchens.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parthenokinesis View Post
Seems like it would do well as a substitute for Pate. I do a kind of beef wellington with individual ribeye steaks, adding braunschweiger to the mushroom sauce inside the crust might be interesting. I bet it could kind of melt into a sauce of some kind, maybe with a rissoto. Or some kind of riff on rumaki. Time to fire up the test kitchens.
When I make Bolognese sauce, I always put a little (usually chicken) liver in to add an extra dimension to the taste. I'm sure braunschweiger could be used to similarly felicitous effect.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Braunschweiger is smoked, so you should take that into account. Not that it's a negative, but it will affect your results.

(thinking of using braunschweiger as a filler for ravioli with an alfredo sauce.)
Old 02-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Braunschweiger is smoked, so you should take that into account. Not that it's a negative, but it will affect your results.

(thinking of using braunschweiger as a filler for ravioli with an alfredo sauce.)
Liver in pasta is always a bold and IME successful departure. But I might go with something more savory and less creamy than Alfredo -- my aforementioned liver-tinged Bol. sauce to dress my liver-filled ravioli, or one of my favorite toppings for funky meat-filled pasta, which is simply a bunch of balsamic vinegar reduced down over a nearish boil till it forms a sticky sour-sweet goo -- perfect when I've had it on chicken liver pasta.

But YMMOV, so good luck and let us know how the Alfredo works if you ever do it.

Last edited by Huerta88; 02-22-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissener View Post
I am the world's biggest fan of liverwurst AND of gjetost, but your post made me throw up a little.
And I was thinking that sounds like it might be pretty good. Gjetost is sweet, and I like pairing liverwurst with jams (if that sounds odd to anyone, lots of pates are paired with fruit, so why not liverwurst?) I'll have to give it a shot next time I find some gjetost.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Cooks.com can't seem to get much beyond spreads, dips, and balls.
I dunno, sounds like a fun evening to me.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:53 AM
Quote:
It's an acquired taste. I didn't like it when it was fed to me as Oscar Mayer liverwurst as a kid. I came to like it the long way around through foie gras, pate of same, to raunchier and raunchier liver stuff, to the point where now an Oscar Mayer liverwurst sandwich sounds pretty doggone good.

Same thing with blood sausage. Started with boudin, started not turning down the black pudding in Irish breakfast, and ended up in Salzburg chowing down on a big old bowl of . . . liver and blood fried up like taco meat.
It's the opposite for me. We always had Braunschweiger in the house when I was a kid. I never thought there was anything weird about it. Sometimes we had a sandwich for lunch, sometimes we had it on crackers as a snack. Then I went through a vegetarian phase when I was older and even though I eat some meat now, organ meats do not appeal to me. I've been tempted to try some again for nostalgia but I'm afraid it would be a disappointment, like the time a few years ago when I had some Vienna sausages - I ate one, the dog got the rest.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:00 AM
I ilke it mixed with cream cheese and spread on toast. Accompanied with a some slices of red bell pepper with a little salt on it.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:53 PM
I just like it on onion. But my food tastes are odd. I also like anchovy paste on onion.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:07 PM
When I was growing up my dad used to make braunschweiger sandwiches. Rye bread, brown mustard (never mayo!) braunschweiger and raw onion. No one else in the family like them but now that I'm older it sounds interesting.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:10 PM
It's one of my favorite sandwich meats. With Miracle Whip.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I would not try the combo presented by the sequential threads:

Cadbury creme eggs...

I feel ill.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Now the Dark Work may begin.

Draw the circle.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Charter Member
I like it on regular sandwiches. It was & is a family staple food.

I also like it on a sandwich made with cinnamin raisin bread. The raisins make it zesty.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Charter Member
As a kid we always had it for breakfast. Toast with butter and then a big slice on top.

Fast and delicious.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:12 PM
A sturdy liver sausage (I have no knowledge of this "braunschweiger") can be enjoyed on bread or similar substances with mustard, or sliced and lightly fried (not deep-fried!) and served with fried onion on a bun.

Cheese and gherkins or pickled onions are also good companions.

Last edited by Superfluous Parentheses; 02-23-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM
If this is really more like a pate, I'd recommend a tablespoon of the stuff with just a small teaspoon of onion compote or blueberry jam on top - something tart but sweet.

Last edited by Superfluous Parentheses; 02-23-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I can't stand liver. But liverwurst is ambrosial. Sandwiches are all that need to be made with it.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:50 PM
on rye with mustard
or spread thick on toast crackers
liverwurst is yum

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 02-23-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:03 PM
BANNED
Braunschweiger, Brunswicker, or "GooseLiverSausage" as I have sometimes heard it called colloquially, is pretty good sliced in rounds and quickly seared on both sides in butter till warm- That's served on top of a Fried Egg Sandwich on buttered tioast.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknew View Post
Braunschweiger, Brunswicker, or "GooseLiverSausage" as I have sometimes heard it called colloquially, is pretty good sliced in rounds and quickly seared on both sides in butter till warm- That's served on top of a Fried Egg Sandwich on buttered tioast.
Goose Liver Sausage is a different beast, if you will forgive the pun. Braunschweiger is made from pork liver.

Of course, I hear ganzeleberwurst is also pretty tasty.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:18 PM
I like braunschweiger because it's one of the few foods that my kids won't eat, so every time I go to the fridge to get some, I know it will be there. I just have it, as others have said, on crackers or bread. Mmm. Some brands taste more bacony than others. I like those kinds best.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:25 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiseE View Post
Goose Liver Sausage is a different beast, if you will forgive the pun. Braunschweiger is made from pork liver.

Of course, I hear ganzeleberwurst is also pretty tasty.
Yes, I am quite aware of that. It is a quirk of my familial and local dialect that the term, "Gooseliversausage" is used interchangeably with Braunschweiger, which is actually "Pigsliversausage".

And "gooseliversausage" is pronounced as such in inflection-- a run on compound noun much like the "Gänseleberwurst". It's a weird little thing that probably goes back to German influences.

It's a culinary euphemism for that type of concoction... kind of how braunschweiger could also qualify as a Pate' in terminology as well.

Last edited by devilsknew; 02-23-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Assuming this is similar to the "Gold Medal" stuff I buy at the German deli and can never remember the German name of...

Go to IKEA and buy hällakaka. Spread and eat open-faced. No toppings, just the pure taste of the slightly-sweet soft bread. My underweight 6 year old has grown up on this, and her doctor attributes her boost out of anemia to the iron in the stuff. (I guess we'll worry about the preservatives later.) My only challenge now is trying to explain why her American friends might tease her if she brought it for school lunch...

Last edited by LilyoftheValley; 02-23-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Graphite is a great
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyoftheValley View Post
My only challenge now is trying to explain why her American friends might tease her if she brought it for school lunch...
Tell her to hold her head high and tease them that they have to eat cruddy stuff while she dines on food fit for a King(or Queen).

And, yeah, when I buy it, I buy the best I can find. Not the $3.99/lb. I pay $6.99/lb. Worth it.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post

Quote:
Liver in pasta is always a bold and IME successful departure. But I might go with something more savory and less creamy than Alfredo -- my aforementioned liver-tinged Bol. sauce to dress my liver-filled ravioli, or one of my favorite toppings for funky meat-filled pasta, which is simply a bunch of balsamic vinegar reduced down over a nearish boil till it forms a sticky sour-sweet goo -- perfect when I've had it on chicken liver pasta.

But YMMOV, so good luck and let us know how the Alfredo works if you ever do it.
Either of you got a newsletter one might subscribe to? Both sound yummy. Me = braun, cream cheese, mustard and red onion, on the darkest bread on hand. The tip about a brief saute sounds worthy of investigating, too.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:07 AM
Well, I just tried it with some blackberry jam and it wasn't bad at all. It kind of neutralizes the liveriness. Tomorrow I'll try the brief saute thing. Maybe not so brief, as with foie gras.

Got to get some black bread, too.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetjones View Post
When I was growing up my dad used to make braunschweiger sandwiches. Rye bread, brown mustard (never mayo!) braunschweiger and raw onion. No one else in the family like them but now that I'm older it sounds interesting.
Exactly! At least, if by brown mustard you mean coarse whole grain german mustard. And ideally the onion should be red onion rings... Mmmmm.

These were known as 'heart burn deluxe' sandwiches when I was growing up. Unfortunately, as I got older I learned the reason for the name.

Not that I don't still indulge now and then.

These
Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Spread it on whole grain Wasa Bread and top with sweet pickles.

Yumm I think I'll get some for lunch.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:55 AM
I haven't had a liverwurst sandwich with mayo for years. But now temptation arises.

I might add onions. And breath mints.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 AM
You know, I was just reading an article about 'tempering' the flavor of raw onions by cooking them a tiny bit.

And now I'm wondering how a liverwurst sandwich with grilled onions will taste....
Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Braunschweiger on dark rye with onions and mustard was my dads' favorite sandwich. When I was little I was told it was only for grown ups, which meant I really wanted to try it.

I like it. Lots. However, the high iron is not good for me, so I can only eat it infrequently.

We go to the local polish butcher 3x/year and I usually buy enough for two sandwiches, along with a loaf of fresh pumpernickel and some good milder cheese. Slap on some mayo, brown mustard, and a slice of sweet onion and I'm in heaven.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:28 AM
We always spread it on toasted rye bread. Rosen's to be exact.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:51 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
You know, I was just reading an article about 'tempering' the flavor of raw onions by cooking them a tiny bit.

And now I'm wondering how a liverwurst sandwich with grilled onions will taste....
Probably like they belong together... most Braunschweiger or Liverwurst Recipes have raw, or often, cooked onions as a major spice/flavoring component.

I once had a liverwurst sandwich at a Deli that had so much liverwurst on it, that it made me sick from the richness. Must Have been a pound of gooseliversausage on there betwee the Rye, White Onion, and Yellow Deli Mustard (similar to Guldeman's). I love the stuff, but it was kind of comparable to eating a stick of butter in richness.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:10 PM
BANNED
Sorry, that's Gulden's... not "Guldeman's". However, it would be an excellent marketing coup d'etat to come up with a really great Premium Deli Mustard and market it as Guldeman's. Seems like a no brainer, actually go back to the roots of the original Gulden's as an award winning mustard with real flavor rather than the mass marketed dumbed down flavor that it has devolved into.

From that wiki... what is Warwickshire sauce? Antbody ever had it?

Last edited by devilsknew; 02-25-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknew View Post
Sorry, that's Gulden's... not "Guldeman's". However, it would be an excellent marketing coup d'etat to come up with a really great Premium Deli Mustard and market it as Guldeman's. Seems like a no brainer, actually go back to the roots of the original Gulden's as an award winning mustard with real flavor rather than the mass marketed dumbed down flavor that it has devolved into.

From that wiki... what is Warwickshire sauce? Antbody ever had it?
It's Worcestershire sauce made without anchovies, for kosher diets. Or so the interwebs tell me.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBlues View Post
It's one of my favorite sandwich meats. With Miracle Whip.
Yes! When I was a kid, we had it in the fridge a lot. I loved it on white bread with Miracle Whip THIS thick and perhaps some Velveeta THIS thick! MMmmmm!