Old 01-13-2001, 04:42 PM
Does anyone know if there is any particular meaning to this Roger Miller tune?
Old 01-13-2001, 05:43 PM
Not that I am aware of. Should there be?

Apples are for eatin and snakes are for hissin
I've heard about a'huggin and I've heard about kissin
I read about it free in a fifty cent illustrated guide
My uncle used to love me but she died

Lyrics
Old 01-13-2001, 05:53 PM
Roger Miller didn't always make the most sense in his songs. I think he was just trying to make a funny lyric.
Old 01-13-2001, 08:58 PM
The lyrics may have turned out a little too silly even for Roger Miller. He remade this song in the early '70s as "My Mama Used to Love Me but She Died."
Old 01-13-2001, 09:08 PM
reminds me of the Greenday lyrics
"I went to a shrink,
to analyze my dreams,
she says it's lack of sex that's bring me down;
I went to a Whore,
[i] he said my life's a bore,
so quite my whining 'cause it's bringing [i] her down."

I think they just do that to add a little variety to their songs, keep people wondering, and make people post threads like that. Also helps popularize their songs, and keep them popularized.