Old 03-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Chicken thighs equation

I can buy chicken thighs either with or without the bones and skin. Since both prices fluctuate somewhat (either can be on sale any given week), I just assume the boneless/skinless ones cost more per ounce of meat, since I'm also paying for the bone and skin removal process. But there has to be a better way of figuring which is more economical . . . taking into account the weight of the meat vs. the weight of the bones and skin. So:

If B is the price of the thighs that contain bones and skin, and X is the price of the boneless/skinless, at what ratio X/B does it become more economical to pay extra for the boneless/skinless?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I can buy chicken thighs either with or without the bones and skin. Since both prices fluctuate somewhat (either can be on sale any given week), I just assume the boneless/skinless ones cost more per ounce of meat, since I'm also paying for the bone and skin removal process. But there has to be a better way of figuring which is more economical . . . taking into account the weight of the meat vs. the weight of the bones and skin. So:

If B is the price of the thighs that contain bones and skin, and X is the price of the boneless/skinless, at what ratio X/B does it become more economical to pay extra for the boneless/skinless?
Figure out a price for your own labor to remove the skin and bones, and then you can make a rock-solid decision.

Note too that some folks buy bone-in, skin-on chicken and use the bones/skin to make soupstock after they've eaten the meat.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Just so we're clear, what you're looking for is the point at which the bones and skin become irrelevant to the price?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Wouldn't this depend on the value you put on your time, how unpleasant you find skinning and/or boning chicken parts, whether you intend to eat the chicken skin or not, whether you like eating chicken skin and eating chicken off the bone, and how much more likely it is that you'll actually use the chicken before it goes bad if you don't have to deal with skinning and boning it?

I hate hate hate doing things like skinning chicken, where I have to get my hands messy. Always have- even when I was a little kid, I didn't like things like finger-painting where I had to get my hands messy. I don't eat chicken skin (too much fat, and too likely to be slimy), I'd rather eat boneless chicken than eating it off the bone, and I am an infamous procrastinator when it comes to cooking something that takes effort. I know some people don't mind getting their hands messy (ugh!), my grandfather used to love chicken skin, and Mr. Neville likes eating chicken off the bone.

Last edited by Anne Neville; 03-02-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Charter Member
It looks to me like the question boils down to what proportion, by weight, of a chicken thigh is the bones and skin.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Just so we're clear, what you're looking for is the point at which the bones and skin become irrelevant to the price?
Right. What would be the ratio of the two prices at which I'd break even? And I'm not considering the price of my own labor, and I don't plan on using the bones & skin for stock (though I might).
Old 03-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Anne Neville: You would have hated to grow up in our house. A farmer used to come around with a truck full of live chickens. My mother would go out and pick one, and the farmer would kill it and get rid of the feathers and the head. My job - and I loved it - was to clean out the inside (which was still warm), including eggs at various stages of development. I learned a lot of anatomy that way.

Also: you need to learn about "grivenis" . . . and I have no idea how it's spelled, since it's Yiddish.

Last edited by panache45; 03-02-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Anne Neville: You would have hated to grow up in our house. A farmer used to come around with a truck full of live chickens. My mother would go out and pick one, and the farmer would kill it and get rid of the feathers and the head. My job - and I loved it - was to clean out the inside (which was still warm), including eggs at various stages of development. I learned a lot of anatomy that way.
ICK!

Will you come with me to the ladies' and hold my hair? I'm going to be sick now.

One reason I'm soo soo glad I keep kosher is that it means I can never be called upon to kill my own chicken.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Neville View Post
. . . how much more likely it is that you'll actually use the chicken before it goes bad if you don't have to deal with skinning and boning it?
At the risk of hijacking my own thread: If you buy kosher meat, but don't use it until it goes *slightly* bad . . . is it still kosher?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Why wouldn't it be? For meat to be kosher, it needs to be from a healthy kosher animal, slaughtered in a particular fashion, and soaked and salted after slaughtering to remove the blood; if it's a mammal, a trained person needs to remove the sciatic nerve for that portion of the meat to be kosher. Freshness doesn't enter into it beyond soaking and salting it within three days of slaughter.

As to your other point, I've always seen it spelled 'gribenes' in English.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Charter Member
I feel like I'm living the high life buying boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but I don't think they're actually as expensive as they look, because there is almost zero waste to them (the odd gobbet of fat and that's it). I pay $20 for a big fresh pack, take them home and put each breast in its individual baggie and freeze them; they are quite big, so I usually use one for a meal for two of us, and there are five or six in a pack. That doesn't sound nearly as expensive for high quality protein when you measure it that way.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:01 PM
I can tell you that most Oriental restaurants around here buy bone-in thighs and pay their employees to skin and de-bone them. These employees are almost exclusively non-English-speaking Hispanics and are probably paid exactly minimum wage. These guys can go through a couple hundred pounds of chicken in a few hours, seeing as how they do it every day.

As a general rule, deboned meat, pre-made salads, pre-cut fruits, etc. are called "value-added products" because the labor involved increases the per-unit price. It's just a trade-off that you have to decide whether it's worth the extra work to you, as Anne Neville said.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Charter Member
Well, let's throw one number out there. According to this about 25% of the thigh is bone. No idea about the skin.

Do you have a scale? At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, the best way to do this would to buy a couple bone-in thighs, skin and bone them, and figure out your average yield that way. Your boning skills (no giggling, please) may be different than someone else's, so this number should be a bit individual dependent.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:40 PM
The skill level will affect things significantly. I'm fairly new at deboning thighs, and I feel like I leave half the meat on there when I'm done. (White meat is much easier - it's one big chunk, the cutlet, without being significantly wrapped around the bones.) I'm sure someone who does this all day would get a cutlet that's 30-50% larger than the one I get, which would be much more cost-efficient. I don't mind leaving on a lot of meat, since I'm generally using the thighs for soup anyway, and any boneless meat I save is purely a bonus that goes in the freezer for later use (I'd otherwise be throwing it out when I toss the uneaten soup chicken.) It's not going to be just 'a bit' individually dependent.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Also: you need to learn about "grivenis" . . . and I have no idea how it's spelled, since it's Yiddish.
Gribenes, aka kosher cracklins.

Last edited by tumbleddown; 03-02-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, the best way to do this would to buy a couple bone-in thighs, skin and bone them, and figure out your average yield that way. Your boning skills (no giggling, please) may be different than someone else's, so this number should be a bit individual dependent.
Perhaps knife skill could be eliminated from the equation by weighing them, removing the skin, cooking them and then eating them and weighing the bones and uncooked skin afterwards, then subtracting that out. I'm fairly certain that cooking will not effect the weight of the bones significantly.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Perhaps knife skill could be eliminated from the equation by weighing them, removing the skin, cooking them and then eating them and weighing the bones and uncooked skin afterwards, then subtracting that out. I'm fairly certain that cooking will not effect the weight of the bones significantly.
Oh, sure. That would make sense. I guess it depends on how the OP wants to use the chicken thighs. For whatever reason, I was assuming chopped up pieces of skinned, raw thigh meat, but there's no indication that's how the OP would use the meat. Certainly, when I buy thigh meat, I generally buy bone-in and cook the whole thigh as one piece.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Oh, sure. That would make sense. I guess it depends on how the OP wants to use the chicken thighs. For whatever reason, I was assuming chopped up pieces of skinned, raw thigh meat, but there's no indication that's how the OP would use the meat. Certainly, when I buy thigh meat, I generally buy bone-in and cook the whole thigh as one piece.
Frankly I didn't even know you could buy boneless thighs.

I've also always bought and cooked them bone-in. It's dark meat so they're not really going to toughen up without some real effort to do it badly, and personally I think the bone adds something to the flavor, but that's just me.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Frankly I didn't even know you could buy boneless thighs.

I've also always bought and cooked them bone-in. It's dark meat so they're not really going to toughen up without some real effort to do it badly, and personally I think the bone adds something to the flavor, but that's just me.
I use the bone in ones and they are pretty cheap in family packs. You could ask your butcher how much the bones weigh.

My fav chicken thigh recipe is from my Mom, 'Shake N Bake'. Put them skin side down on the top of the broiler pan sprayed with Pam. I use a sheet of foil in the lower pan to catch the mess. Cook them a little longer then the package says to or until light brown. They are crispy and good with creamed corn.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 PM
I just count and compute the price per thigh. I usually find it comes out very close to the same amount.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Quote:
At the risk of hijacking my own thread: If you buy kosher meat, but don't use it until it goes *slightly* bad . . . is it still kosher?
I'm paranoid about use-by dates. It comes from the time when I was 15, and learned the hard way that mayonnaise expiration dates do not have a six month grace period. It doesn't help that I have allergies and can't generally tell by smell if something is bad. If something's getting close to the use-by date, it goes into the freezer or the trash.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 AM
I see the title and think of some guy with poor english speaking abilities calling up a local university math department and asking about a "thickenthize equation" and folks on the other end are WTF? and the caller is saying "you KNOW...THICKENTHIZE!" and more WFT are you talking about? over and over ala a Monte Python sketch.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678 View Post
I see the title and think of some guy with poor english speaking abilities calling up a local university math department and asking about a "thickenthize equation" and folks on the other end are WTF? and the caller is saying "you KNOW...THICKENTHIZE!" and more WFT are you talking about? over and over ala a Monte Python sketch.
Actually the phrase "chicken thighs" itself is open to more than one meaning.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't mind me View Post
I just count and compute the price per thigh.
This is probably the most efficient way of doing it, if you assume that each thigh, on average, contains roughly the same amount of meat, and if you put no value on your time.

How much would you pay to avoid boning a single chicken thigh?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Also: you need to learn about "grivenis" . . . and I have no idea how it's spelled, since it's Yiddish.[/QUOTE]

Gribenes or grieven are crisp chicken or goose skin cracklings with fried onions, a kosher food somewhat similar to pork rinds.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Charter Member
Although, four-year-old zombie threads on chicken thighs is getting us into the KFC realm of quality.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:31 PM
At the risk of unearthing my own zombie, I've done an experiment. My supermarket had a sale on chicken quarters (attached thighs and drumsticks). Four raw leg quarters with skin and bones weighed 1914 grams. I then boiled them (great stock) and separated the meat from the skin and bones. The meat alone weighed only 722 mg. This means that of the total amount of raw chicken, the meat composed only 37.7% of the total. That means that you'll be throwing out 62.3% of what you buy.

I suspect the addition of the drumsticks had a substantial effect on the outcome. I'll have to try it again with only thighs.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:45 PM
I suspect that some of that lost weight is just due to cooking and has nothing to do with the bones. Do you feel like boiling a package of boneless quarters and weighing that as a comparison?

Last edited by Enginerd; 04-24-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
I suspect that some of that lost weight is just due to cooking and has nothing to do with the bones. Do you feel like boiling a package of boneless quarters and weighing that as a comparison?
That would have been my assumption as well. We need more data.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:20 PM
I buy, bone, and skin chicken thighs all the time. I have measured the weight before and after with a scale using the raw meat- simply put, 99 cent/lb whole thighs yield meat with a cost of $2/lb. Therefore, as long as the boneless skinless ones cost twice as much per pound or less, you're coming out ahead with the boneless skinless ones. I often chunk the bones and skin into a pressure cooker with some water to make awesome broth, a bonus you don't get with the pricier thighs.

Whether zombie chickens are more tender is not certain.

Last edited by california jobcase; 04-24-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
Whether zombie chickens are more tender is not certain.
The problem with zombie chickens is, shooting 'em in the head doesn't work.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
That's what I initially thought. But the overall question has to do with yield, and whatever evaporation in a normal cooking context, is not part of the yield. Of course then the solution is simply to count the parts: X number of entire thighs vs. X number of boneless/skinless thighs. Forget weighing them, just consider the yield.