Old 04-21-2010, 01:53 AM
Kenny Rogers' "Lucille" has a line in the chorus:

"Four hungry children and a crop in the fields"

I always heard it as "four hundred children".

No wonder she left him. He'd never let her get out of bed!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:07 AM
Every song on dad's Dr. Demento tape.

Especially I Wanna Kiss Her But. . .
Old 04-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
I thought for ages it was "Just like the wild wind [does/blows]". I think the problem isn't so much that the line is difficult to make out, but that almost anything would be better than "Just like the white-winged dove".
That's how I've always heard this line, too. I have known the correct words for some time, but my brain keeps trying to interpret it the way I originally thought it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
"That's the Way I Always Heard It Should Be" by Carly Simon was one of my favorite songs as a child. With its beautiful melody and the most prominent line being "would you marry me", I though it was a sweet song about a woman finally deciding to get married. When I heard it as an adult, I was shocked to realize how depressing and cynical the song's view of romance is. Still a great song though.
WHOA. I have just now for the first time ever read the lyrics and understood what the song is about. Yikes, that's brutal! I have to hope the woman in the song never got married, moved away from the silence in her parents' house, and built a happy, fulfulling life for herself free of the chains of others' expectations. Eeesh.

And one more tentatively raised hand from someone who liked the song 'Afternoon Delight' as a child, picturing a pleasant celebration in a park, maybe for the Fourth of July, complete with a picnic and skyrockets in flight overhead.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:55 AM
I think I watched too many monster movies as a kid. I always thought there were lines in Day-O pleading for the (no doubt fearsome) Kong Man to let the singer go home, presumably after filling his banana quota for his dread taskmaster.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds was a nice song but when I heard it was about the drug, LSD, did not like it.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettboy View Post
I had some confusion over "Lola", by the Kinks when I was a wee young boy.

When Ray Davies sings "...I'm glad I'm a man and so's Lola", I wasn't sure if he meant that A: Ray is glad that he is a man, and Lola is ALSO glad that Ray is a man, or B: Ray is glad that he is a man, and that Lola (despite the girly name) is of the male gender as well.
Um, I'm still confused. But I still love the song.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Missed the edit window. Wanted to say I like the ambiguity of Lola.

I have misheard songs all my life. One example: there was a song in the 80s that featured the female lead whispering in the bridge. I thought she was saying, "requesting quiet. Requesting quiet." (I think the song was by 10CC). Turns out she was whispering, "big boys don't cry. Big boys don't cry."

And I thought Barbra Streisand was singing "you gotta be a hero" and she was singing, "it oughta be illegal." Or maybe it was the other way around. I think that song was about a fight of some kind.

I suck at remembering song titles.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth View Post
$20 was a ton of money in the late 60s, with the minimum wage only $2/hour by 1975. So that's more than ten hours pay, before taxes, for a working man. I'm calling BS on the Wiki definition, since you can probably still get a BJ from a street ho for $20. Of course there was no crack or meth back then, so I could be wrong.
See, my take on it now is that Gene is telling the woman to, umm do her man twice; he's worth a deuce. In fact I'd be surprised if that isn't the real intention of the song. "Love Me Two Times" by The Doors is exactly the same.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trawnist View Post
Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds was a nice song but when I heard it was about the drug, LSD, did not like it.
John said it wasn't. Paul said it was. Since they're both dead, we'll never know the truth.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorigby View Post
I have misheard songs all my life. One example: there was a song in the 80s that featured the female lead whispering in the bridge. I thought she was saying, "requesting quiet. Requesting quiet." (I think the song was by 10CC). Turns out she was whispering, "big boys don't cry. Big boys don't cry."
Eleanor, I had the same thing with that song ("I'm not in love", btw) and requesting quiet made sense to me at the time.

You guys are cracking me up with the lyrics. I was laughing my butt off over here.

Last edited by Pliny the younger; 04-21-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Charter Member
Jackson Browne's "Rosie". It was several years before it occurred to me that Rosie was not his girlfriend.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettboy View Post
I had some confusion over "Lola", by the Kinks when I was a wee young boy.

When Ray Davies sings "...I'm glad I'm a man and so's Lola", I wasn't sure if he meant that A: Ray is glad that he is a man, and Lola is ALSO glad that Ray is a man, or B: Ray is glad that he is a man, and that Lola (despite the girly name) is of the male gender as well.
I thought that line was:

Well I know what I am, and
IN BED I'M A MAN and so is Lola.....
Old 04-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Um, I'm still confused. But I still love the song.
So, my take on the song is that some guy is out one night and picks up what he thinks is a woman. He has some reservations (I can't understand why she looks like a woman and talks like a man) about Lola's gender identity.

But...after some champagne...he ends up in bed with what presumably is a drag queen (or a bisexual cross-dresser - it's hard to tell), and comes to grips with it.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:07 PM
"Follow Me", by Uncle Cracker.

Somehow that ended up as the theme song of my sixth-grade class. We sang it all the time. I couldn't quite make out all the lyrics, but I thought it was sweet that he didn't "care about the things you wear". He loves even when she dresses frumpy!

I'm not sure when I realized that it was "I don't worry about the ring you wear", but I was shocked, shocked to realize the class song was about adultery.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:07 PM
The aforementioned Papa Was a Rolling Stone and Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone I thought were about the band The Rolling Stones. In my mind it made sense...
Old 04-21-2010, 01:10 PM
I always wondered why the chorus to Bon Jovi's Livin On A Prayer was so odd. Here's how I heard it;

She says we've got to hold on to what we've got
Cause it doesn't make a difference
If we're naked or not
We've got each other and that's a lot
For love - well give it a shot

Whooah, we're half way there
Livin on a prayer
Take my hand and we're naked I swear
Livin on a prayer

Last edited by EvilTOJ; 04-21-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: CaPiTAls! MuST aDd ThE CapiTALs!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Missed the edit window. Wanted to say I like the ambiguity of Lola.

I suck at remembering song titles.

Heh...I always hear this as "be poised and quiet", which struck me as a totally non-sequitur for a song about love.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
This isn't like the rest of the posts, but I think it fits: when I was young, maybe 8 or so, I was on a family car trip and "Georgia" by Ray Charles came on the car radio. I asked if the song was about the state or about a woman named Georgia. All the adults burst into laughter about how nave I was.

I still think it was a good question.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Brother Walker View Post
Kenny Rogers' "Lucille" has a line in the chorus:

"Four hungry children and a crop in the fields"

I always heard it as "four hundred children".

No wonder she left him. He'd never let her get out of bed!
I'll do you one better. My best friend thought it was "four hundred children dropped in a field." He pictured a bunch of kids with parachutes.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Warrior View Post
Oh, and Stevie Nicks' fantasy hit, "Stop, Dragon! My heart around." I thought 'my heart around' was some sort of phrase used to express emphasis, like "My stars!" or "My goodness!" or something.
Heh. That is really sweet. I'll second the poster who said they giggled at this. It totally reminds me of Ramona Quimby (Beverly Cleary books) who thought that "Dawn's early light" was "Dawnzer lee light" and figured that a Dawnzer was some kind of lamp.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh300 View Post
"Something" by The Beatles.

I misunderstood the context of the first line and had a very specific idea of what he was singing about.

I heard "Something in the way(,) she moves", and I had an image of a woman in a Volkswagen Bug trying to park her car in the driveway, but the garbage men had been sloppy with the empty cans and had thrown them into the driveway. So she has to get out of the car and move the cans (something in the way).
That is hilarious, and reminds me of my Beatles confusion.

In "Yesterday", I understood the lyric to read:
Quote:
Why she had to go I don't know, she wouldn't say.
I said, "Something wrong", now I long for yesterday.
This always bugged me: Why did he say "Something wrong" when he should've said "Something's wrong"? The grammatical error would drive me nuts!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Shouting Grasshopper
Cherry Hill Park...what kind of games did people play outside after dark, anyway?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:59 PM
"Total Eclipse of the Heart" has a line that always perplexed me, until I was older and heard part of it more clearly:

I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark
We're living and have power - I can get up and spazz!

(It didn't help that in the video she was sort of tearing at her hair at that part.)

I had no idea what this meant. I vaguely thought it was some kind of metaphor that meant she was so overwhelmed by the power of their love that she could just flip right out, or something. I was never totally sure because I couldn't quite hear the words properly.

Years later I made out the words "powder keg" and thought "powder keg?" WTF? Then I deduced that "spazz" was "sparks" and then I was all:

"Oooooooh, that's what she was saying.... That's not much better actually."
Old 04-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Five Short Minutes by Jim Croce
I didn't know a rock groupie calling herself Cynthia Plaster Caster made casts of rock musicians dicks.

I wonder if she has a cast of Jim Croce's dong on a shelf? She has a web site.
http://cynthiaplastercaster.com/

Quote:
Well, like a fool in a hurry I took her to my room
She casted me in plaster while I sang her a tune
Then I said, 'Ooh, ooee! Sure was a tragic tale
Because five short minutes brought me twenty long years in jail

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-21-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filling_pages View Post
I'll do you one better. My best friend thought it was "four hundred children dropped in a field." He pictured a bunch of kids with parachutes.
I like The Beat Farmer's take on it:

'Four ugly children and a crotch that won't heal'
Old 04-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley
John said it wasn't. Paul said it was. Since they're both dead, we'll never know the truth.
When did Paul die?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Battye View Post
When did Paul die?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Inebriate of air
I just thought of another Fleetwood Mac song I didn't understand: Rhiannon. As a 12-year-old in 1976 rural Kentucky where everyone was named Lisa, I had never heard the name Rhiannon and wouldn't have believed you if you'd told me it was a name. Anyway, I thought they were singing

Would you stay if she promised you Heaven?
Will you ever win? Will you ever win?

Will ya evvvvvvvvvaaaaaaah?
Wi' ya evvvvvvvvvvvahhhhhhh-uhhhhhhh?
Will ya evvvvvvvvvaaaaaaah?
Wi' ya evvvvvvvvvvvahhhhhhh-uhhhhhhh?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:44 PM
ZZ Top song "Tush"

Even into adulthood, I thought the line

I said lord take me downtown, I'm just looking for some tush.

was

I said lord take me downtown, I'm just looking for some touch.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny the younger View Post
Eleanor, I had the same thing with that song ("I'm not in love", btw) and requesting quiet made sense to me at the time.
I thought it was "Be quiet, don't cry"...and I thought the song was "I'm Not Alone."
Old 04-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallowed My Cellphone View Post

Years later I made out the words "powder keg" and thought "powder keg?" WTF? Then I deduced that "spazz" was "sparks" and then I was all:

"Oooooooh, that's what she was saying.... That's not much better actually."
Does it help to know that the full lyric is:

"We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks "

So, they're in a volatile situation?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bink View Post
I thought it was "Be quiet, don't cry"...and I thought the song was "I'm Not Alone."
Okay, I have to add my interpretation: "Be quiet, sit down, quiet"

And another vote for "Four hundred children."

I'll add "Groovin'" by the Young Rascals. Always thought it was "You and me and Leslie" ("endlessly" is correct, for those who haven't heard it.)
Old 04-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
ZZ Top song "Tush"

was

This one is more excusable because "tush" is a word known only in a narrow dialect group. Unless you are a part of that social group you'd have to have it explained to you by someone in the know.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Heck, pretty much any ZZ Top sailed right over my head as a kid.

Pearl Necklace:
She was gettin' bombed,
And I was gettin' blown away,
And she held it in her hand
And this is what she had to say:
A pearl necklace.
She wanna pearl necklace.
She wanna pearl necklace.

Tube Snake Boogie:
I got a girl, she lives on the hill.
She won't do it but her sister will,
When she boogie,
She do the tube snake boogie.
Well now boogie little baby,
Boogie woogie all night long

La Grange:
Rumor spreadin' a-'round in that Texas town
'bout that shack outside La Grange
and you know what I'm talkin' about.
Just let me know if you wanna go
to that home out on the range.
They gotta lotta nice girls ah.

And so on. ZZ Top are some dirty MFers.

Last edited by filling_pages; 04-21-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Quote:
ZZ Top song "Tush"

was

Wait, it's not?

I mean, I took it to mean essentially the same thing, but really? That's tush?
Old 04-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Bird View Post
I'll add "Groovin'" by the Young Rascals. Always thought it was "You and me and Leslie" ("endlessly" is correct, for those who haven't heard it.)
I could have sworn it was "You and me and Leslie" Ignorance fought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
This one is more excusable because "tush" is a word known only in a narrow dialect group. Unless you are a part of that social group you'd have to have it explained to you by someone in the know.
Well, I was just thinking about it and tush is probably short for tushy, what parents call their little kids bottoms, backsides, behinds, derrieres, ect...
So I'm interpreting it as Billy wanting a piece of ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
Wait, it's not?

I mean, I took it to mean essentially the same thing, but really? That's tush?
I think the confusion is that he's singing it so that tush rhymes with much and so he's kind of pronouncing tush as touch.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth View Post
Does it help to know that the full lyric is:
Uh... yeah. I figured it out once I finally heard "powder keg" clearly. I just didn't think the lyric was much better than having her be a spazz.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I could have sworn it was "You and me and Leslie" Ignorance fought.

Well, I was just thinking about it and tush is probably short for tushy, what parents call their little kids bottoms, backsides, behinds, derrieres, ect...
So I'm interpreting it as Billy wanting a piece of ass.

I think the confusion is that he's singing it so that tush rhymes with much and so he's kind of pronouncing tush as touch.
"Tush" is not "tushy" or ass. "Tush" is a dialect word meaning "adequate." I believe I've heard interviews with Billy Gibbons in which he said that among themselves they would rate women on the scale of tush, plush, and primo. So when they're "just looking for some tush," that means they're horny enough so that any adequate-looking woman will do, rather than holding out for a plush or a primo chick.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
"Tush" is not "tushy" or ass. "Tush" is a dialect word meaning "adequate." I believe I've heard interviews with Billy Gibbons in which he said that among themselves they would rate women on the scale of tush, plush, and primo. So when they're "just looking for some tush," that means they're horny enough so that any adequate-looking woman will do, rather than holding out for a plush or a primo chick.
I didn't realize that. Thank you for the explanation.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:52 PM
NVM......someone beat me to it

Last edited by ministryman; 04-21-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
ZZ Top song "Tush"

was

Old 04-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudotriton ruber ruber View Post
I had it as "Take the next right turn." And I still think Lennon intended "a penis is a warm gun."
for several years i thought he meant a warm gun was a syringe.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
I always thought that it was basically about a creepy, Twilight Zone-esque hotel as well, but apparently it's about substance addiction.
I thought I heard that it was rumored to be about the Church of Satan. Supposedly you can even see Anton Lavey staring down from the second floor of the hotel on the inside of the album. Probably just an urban legend, though. I prefer the idea that it's about a creepy hotel to the notion that it's about substance abuse. Creepy hotels are cool.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneyfailure View Post
I thought I heard that it was rumored to be about the Church of Satan. Supposedly you can even see Anton Lavey staring down from the second floor of the hotel on the inside of the album. Probably just an urban legend, though. I prefer the idea that it's about a creepy hotel to the notion that it's about substance abuse. Creepy hotels are cool.
Christian fundamentalists say it's about the Church of Satan. Apparently on the back or inside cover there's a woman who they say is witch. In an interview Glenn Frey said it was just some woman they got off the street to be in the picture.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
The Beatles classic song: Take the back right turn.

I didn't understand why an aspiring author was exhorting potential publishers to "take the back right turn".

It took a while to understand the title was Paperback Writer.

Yes, really.
Speaking of misheard lyrics,

In the Jimi Hendrix song "Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire", going into the break, does he or does he not say,

Quote:
Aww, move over Rover
And let Jimi take over
Yeah that's what I'm talkin' about
Get on with it baby
But whenever I've seen the lyrics it's always "Get it on baby". But the rhythm of the words really sounds like it's the other way.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Paul Simons Kodachrome. I thought the lyrics were, "Mama's gonna take my combs and throw 'em all away."
I thought, why would his mom wanna throw his combs out? Doesn't she want him to have neatly combed hair? Especially in the hippy 70's when most boys had long hair.

In Elton Johns Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting, I could understand why he'd be angry and want to fight on a Saturday night. He was sad because his best friend somehow shrunk down and drowned in the bottom of a glass of water.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 PM
I thought Olivia Newton John's "Physical" was just about exercising. After all, the video showed people exercising.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryman View Post
I thought that line was:

Well I know what I am, and
IN BED I'M A MAN and so is Lola.....
This is the way I always heard the line.
I never thought there was any ambiguity about the fact that Lola was a tranny.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiveGuy View Post
That is hilarious, and reminds me of my Beatles confusion.

In "Yesterday", I understood the lyric to read:This always bugged me: Why did he say "Something wrong" when he should've said "Something's wrong"? The grammatical error would drive me nuts!
That's one of mine too, but I thought it should have been:

I asked, "Something wrong?" Now I long for yesterday.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Christian fundamentalists say it's about the Church of Satan. Apparently on the back or inside cover there's a woman who they say is witch. In an interview Glenn Frey said it was just some woman they got off the street to be in the picture.
The song is about California itself, and the trappings associated with living the Hollywood lifestyle.