Old 06-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Sweet Teriyaki sauce?

When I go out and get a Teriyaki bowl at the local places, it's always this sweetish kinda syrup.

But when I get Teriyaki at the store, it's nothing like that. It's either a watery sauce, or a garlicy not-quite-sweet sauce.

So, can you fine dopers suggest a decent, sweet, kinda thick teriyaki sauce I can pour over my grilled steak, chicken, and sticky rice on Thursday?

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2010, 12:05 AM
It's not hard to make homemade teriyaki sauce. The key is just lots and lots of sugar.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 AM
How I make the teriyaki sauce at work (mind you, I cook for conventions, so we use large quantities):

1 gallon of Kikkoman soy sauce
3 gallons cold water
About 1/2 cup of fresh garlic, minced fine
About 1/2 cup of fresh ginger root, minced fine
About 10 pounds of sugar

Stir until sugar is dissolved.

We keep all that in a 5-gallon bucket in the walk-in cooler, and it's what we use to marinate the teriyaki chicken overnight. For the glaze, we pour what's needed into a pot and bring it to a boil on the stove, then slowly stir in a slurry of corn starch and cold water (just a bit at a time), stirring constantly until it reaches the desired thickness. But you have to be careful - add too much corn starch too quickly and you suddenly have a pot of hot teriyaki Jell-O. Mmmmm....
Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 AM
If you can get access to a Sam's Club or a Costco, the Yoshida teriyaki sauce is just what you're looking for.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhal View Post
It's not hard to make homemade teriyaki sauce. The key is just lots and lots of sugar.
Yep, not sure of specific proportions, but use 50/50 mixture of soy sauce and water as your base. To this add a little bit of rice wine, some garlic, some ginger, and brown sugar till desired sweetness is reached. You can thicken with corn starch if desired.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taomist View Post
If you can get access to a Sam's Club or a Costco, the Yoshida teriyaki sauce is just what you're looking for.
Seconded. That stuff is fantastic, although it's not quite the same as teriyaki sauce I can usually find in take-out places. It seems to have more of a soy sauce flavor. But it's still really good.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:27 AM
I think I must have some hot teriyaki jello now.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:29 AM
Sweet lincoln's mullet!

japanesefood.about.com/od/teriyakisauce/a/aboutteriyaki.htm

is a good source of sauce.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:11 AM
I make my own and use honey for the thickening/sweetening agent. This creates a good consistency for basting.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Charter Member
I use 50/50 soy sauce and mirin, and brown sugar (and a bit of ginger and garlic-- not strictly authentic but oh well) and then just simmer it to reduce it.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:18 AM
If you're lazy like me, Soy Vey Veri Veri Teriyaki is the best bottled teriyaki sauce. And it's OU kosher, too! (Not that it matters to me, but the company's origin story and name make me giggle. Jewish Boy meets Chinese Girl and yummy marinades ensue.)
Old 06-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
If you're lazy like me, Soy Vey Veri Veri Teriyaki is the best bottled teriyaki sauce.
Their Wasabiyaki is my sauce of choice, though the Veri Veri is great too, for when you're serving wasabi-averse people.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM
I do enjoy the Soy Vey stuff, and that is in act my default marinade for Teriyaki stuff.

But it is also not the sweetness thick stuff i'm looking for.

I guess you can actually shop at Sams', but have to pay a surcharge, so I'm gonna check that out. I have heard good things of the Yoshida before.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:48 PM
This teriyaki marinade is what I use for everything- chicken, tritip, pork, and even as a sauce cooked down in stir fry. It's AMAZING.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Add oyster sauce to the teriyaki sauce. That's what they do at several places I've observed here.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:29 PM
I use Kikkomann's teriyaki baste and Glaze. Pretty sweet, and great for stir-fry or dipping. if you can get it at your grocery store, try it!