Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Match.com users, can you help?

Ok, I want honest feedback from people who use Match (or other online dating sites) on what they think the "body type" designations really mean. What do you think when a woman puts "about average" versus "athletic and toned" versus "a few extra pounds" or "curvy"?

Very curious how honest people are and what they think these designations really mean....
#2
Old 09-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 32,821
curvy/a few extra pounds are the ones that are most often abused. You also have to look out for the default, whatever it is.

And, honestly, I think you should just put a picture showing your actual size in your profile, and let other people judge for themselves.
#3
Old 09-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 20,001
There's no default, it will show "none selected" if you don't pick one.

IMO, athletic/toned means someone would have what I consider a "runner's body", some muscle, lean, and active.

Slender is slight, thin.

A few extra pounds is someone that most folks would consider overweight, not obese.

Curvy is someone who has prominent hips and bust, and this one is more attitude than body type.

About Average is hardest to define, IMO.
#4
Old 09-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 38,365
If someone puts a picture out there, it's irrelevant.

If they don't put a picture out there, then the body type designation is probably a lie.

Use a picture.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
#5
Old 09-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 12,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
IMO, athletic/toned means someone would have what I consider a "runner's body", some muscle, lean, and active.

Slender is slight, thin.

A few extra pounds is someone that most folks would consider overweight, not obese.

Curvy is someone who has prominent hips and bust, and this one is more attitude than body type.

About Average is hardest to define, IMO.
This. But I think average would be something that didn't really stand out as either skinny or fat/busty/whatever.
#6
Old 09-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 20,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
If someone puts a picture out there, it's irrelevant.

If they don't put a picture out there, then the body type designation is probably a lie.

Use a picture.
The thing is, people use the search mechanism all the time to find people, and body type is a common attribute to search on. A picture isn't enough.
#7
Old 09-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 5,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
About Average is hardest to define, IMO.
Quote:
The U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey of 1994 indicates that 59% of American men and 49% of women have BMIs over 25. Morbid obesityŚa BMI of 40 or moreŚwas found in 2% of the men and 4% of the women. The newest survey in 2007 indicates a continuation of the increase in BMI: 63% of Americans are overweight, with 26% now in the obese category (a BMI of 30 or more).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

Apparently, it means fat
#8
Old 09-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 9,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongal View Post
Ok, I want honest feedback from people who use Match (or other online dating sites) on what they think the "body type" designations really mean. What do you think when a woman puts "about average" versus "athletic and toned" versus "a few extra pounds" or "curvy"?

Very curious how honest people are and what they think these designations really mean....
To me: thin -> athletic & toned -> about average -> a few extra pounds -> curvy. But you're asking people to be both honest and not delusional, and that's asking a lot of the general public.
#9
Old 09-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
It seems that everyone agrees generally... so my follow-up question would be whether you assume that people are lying so if they say "athletic and toned" and the pictures aren't clear, they may actually be "about average"... and so on... Someone "about average" really would belong in the "a few extra pounds" or "curvy" category...
#10
Old 09-20-2010, 01:37 PM
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 37,291
Since the OP is seeking opinions, this is better suited for IMHO than GQ.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
#11
Old 09-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 20,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongal View Post
so my follow-up question would be whether you assume that people are lying so if they say "athletic and toned" and the pictures aren't clear, they may actually be "about average"... and so on... Someone "about average" really would belong in the "a few extra pounds" or "curvy" category...
If someone puts athletic and toned I expect their photos to show that (at least to some degree). If the photos don't match my internal definition of A/T I don't automatically jump to the idea that they are lying, but at least that their interpretation of the phrase doesn't match mine.

I spent a lot of time deciding weather I would use "about average" or "athletic and toned" and finally decided on the latter when I had a photo that I thought represented that to my eye.
#12
Old 09-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 448
Can I piggyback on this question a bit? I have a profile at okcupid.com and I put myself down as "thin" because 1) I assume that "average" is usually used to mean a few extra pounds and 2) I have no boobs, so anyone who likes curvaceous women would probably be put off. But I don't think of myself as being especially thin at all - I'm just short and not particularly curvy. I'm around 5'1 and 115 pounds.

I do have a photo showing my full body (from the knees up, at least).
#13
Old 09-21-2010, 05:16 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,019
The description "Curvy or A Few Extra Pounds", probably means they require the aid of a forklift to leave the dinner table.
#14
Old 09-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 20,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereknocue67 View Post
The description "Curvy or A Few Extra Pounds", probably means they require the aid of a forklift to leave the dinner table.
No, really, it doesn't. Go on the site and look if you doubt it.
#15
Old 09-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 32,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereknocue67 View Post
The description "Curvy or A Few Extra Pounds", probably means they require the aid of a forklift to leave the dinner table.
No, really, it doesn't. Go on the site and look if you doubt it.
It can mean that, though. Those two options tend to have the widest range, from people who are just a bit too picky about their body, to people who think that they might have a shot if you don't know right off that they are obese.
#16
Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 20,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
It can mean that, though.
It can, and certainly there are women who use those when they are obese. But there are also "Big and Beautiful", "Full-figured", and "Heavyset" that get used more often.
#17
Old 09-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 12,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenstrahl View Post
Can I piggyback on this question a bit? I have a profile at okcupid.com and I put myself down as "thin" because 1) I assume that "average" is usually used to mean a few extra pounds and 2) I have no boobs, so anyone who likes curvaceous women would probably be put off. But I don't think of myself as being especially thin at all - I'm just short and not particularly curvy. I'm around 5'1 and 115 pounds.

I do have a photo showing my full body (from the knees up, at least).
If you have a photo up that should let people decide for themselves. But I'd say you fall somewhere between thin and average.
Reply

┬ź Previous Thread | Next Thread ┬╗
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: naval fiction board narrow ruled paper lost souls movie ritchie aprile does blood rot italicize in illustrator bicurious male vasectomy masturbate midas brake reviews jet formations soylent yellow captain farrell chimp vs baboon saracen crusades watch inside wrist gay physique italy imperialism surgical tubing walgreens urine and bleach oh snap gentle cycle bush gynecologist heel wear sudafed rebound latino italy good shark names concert amps idae suffix seminal works overtime taxes ps3 chromecast discworld miniatures how to reheat rice without microwave i've said my piece julia louis dreyfus nip slip toddler ate vicks vapor rub glorious things of thee are spoken haydn piano repair and tuning cost sheerflow gutter screen reviews 20 oz vs 2 liter where does cracker barrel get its decorations steroid eye drops side effects weight gain what aisle is corn syrup in walmart how to cut ceramic tile without a wet saw otep shamaya real name comcast cable box usb port how long does it take for a bullet wound to heal what a fool believes meaning ups ground vs 3 day select da vinci's notebook secret asian man cutting wellbutrin xl in half taotao 50 gear oil change how many leaves on a tree no fly boxer shorts 2 out 3 ain't bad blue eyes in spanish dakota fanning show snl simulating snap count penalty how to write a check to myself do you still have to dial 1 for long distance code words for drugs on craigslist can rid-x be used in a regular toilet how does first and last month's rent work brazil nuts other names