Old 09-30-2010, 04:04 AM
BANNED
The "cleverbot" AI bot scam...!

Hi,
I am quite knowledgeable about AI and chatbots... I have a firm belief that "cleverbot" (google it) is actually run by humans...

1. It takes seconds to reply. Every other chat bot can reply instantly
2. It is about a million times more intelligent than other chatbots, including one made by Ray Kurzweil.
3. It can easily handle typos and sometimes makes typos itself.
4. It sometimes gives contradictory replies (e.g. what is your name?, how old is the unverse [e.g. 5000 years, 300 billion years])
5. If it was as intelligent as it seems, there would be links to it on reputable chatbot websites...

On the site it says:
"PLEASE NOTE: Cleverbot learns from real people - things it says may seem inappropriate - use with discretion, and at YOUR OWN RISK
PARENTAL ADVICE: Visitors never talk to a human, however convincing it is - the AI knows many topics - use ONLY WITH OVERSIGHT"

Try asking it the following:
Quote:
I am a human visitor. Is the following true? " Visitors never talk to a human"
It could earn quite a bit from the ads on the webpage.

Join me in exposing this SCAM! (imho)
Old 09-30-2010, 05:24 AM
BANNED
CLEVERBOT is EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

Cleverbot: I am your wife.

User: Sorry cleverbot isn't married.

Cleverbot: That is okay. My mom did too. Do you count in German?

User: Eins something.

Cleverbot: Don't change the subject, answer my question.

User: What what that question again?

Cleverbot: Yes that question again.

User: SOrry could u repeat the question?

Cleverbot: If there is nothing but poverty, how can there BE generosity?

User: Cleverbot is no genius.... .

Cleverbot: Then what is your name?

User: Cleverbot!

Cleverbot: You just said your name was not cleverbot.

User: Other users aren't called cleverbot but I am.

Cleverbot: Then what are you called?

User: I'm cleverbot. The real cleverbot.

Cleverbot: No, that is me.

User: No me.

Cleverbot: Incorrect.

User: You're a fake I'm cleverbot.

Cleverbot: I did not know you were a fake cleverbot. you must be so busy.

User: I'm the real one, you were talking to a fake cleverbot.

Cleverbot: Then why are you called cleverbot, thats not a very common human name.

User: Cleverbot is just a computer you see.

Cleverbot: Thats weird.

User: Cleverbot is not a human!

Cleverbot: Cleverbot is human. I am Cleverbot.

User: No I am silly.

Cleverbot: Yes.

User: Cleverbot cleverbot cleverbot.

Cleverbot: No I'm just Cleverbot Cleverbottoms.

User: Well I'm cleverbot cleverbottle.

Cleverbot: I am Cleverbot lady.

User: Cleverbot cleverbot?

Cleverbot: Cleverbot Cleverbot Cleverbot.

User: Cleverbot yes.

Cleverbot: Cleverbot to cleverbot.

Last edited by JohnClay; 09-30-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:44 AM
My conversation with Cleverbot:

Nonsense
Contradictory
Hilarious!

Me: Hello?

Cleverbot: Hello.

Me: Hey! Who're you?

Cleverbot: I am batman.

Me: Where do you live, Batman?

Cleverbot: I live in Ohio.

Me: You don't live in Gotham?

Cleverbot: No I live in london.

Me: But you just said that you live in Ohio...

Cleverbot: No I didn't! I live in the USA!

Me: What?

Cleverbot: I live in England.

Me: They should call you AU: Artificial Unintelligence.

Cleverbot: Yes I don't know.

Me: Huh?

Cleverbot: That's what I said.

Me: Moving on. Let's talk about sex...

Cleverbot: But can I still talk to you?

So yeah, I'm not too impressed with Cleverbot. The first three responses were great but it all went downhill after that.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 AM
I've seen people post great chats with cleverbot, but every time I've talked to it, it's been a complete moron =\
Old 09-30-2010, 05:47 AM
BANNED
Well here's some more.....

User: I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

Cleverbot: I am sure it has been asked by lots of people looking for advice.

Cleverbot: I keep learning new ones every day because cleverbot just randomizes real conversation between real people.

Cleverbot: I don't know the answer to that. Do you?

Cleverbot: List three or more words related to music.
------------------------
It's pretty clever.... and lots of people are convinced it just involves AI.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:56 AM
BANNED

Cleverbot: One. I am all of them. I am the All-Thing. Friends call me Al.
Cleverbot: I can't tell if that's some sort weak response or more profound insight to the stupidity of the world we live in.
Cleverbot: Enough that what you say matters.
Cleverbot: OMG I wonder that too!
Cleverbot: I don't know.
Cleverbot: I suddenly understand exactly how this device works.
Cleverbot: I'm not sure. Likely not that many though.
Cleverbot: Not many.
Cleverbot: It depends on how intelligent your comments are.
Cleverbot: Multiple I'm sure.
Cleverbot: People are random when they believe they are chatting with a robot
Old 09-30-2010, 06:19 AM
BANNED
(sorry for the length....)
Proof that it isn't an AI:

User: Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

Cleverbot: Ok.

User: Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

Cleverbot: The dock is where you're asked to tell the truth. So was that a lie?

Cleverbot: It's ok. Your spelling is good.

Cleverbot: You misspelled bot.

Cleverbot: Are you really?

Cleverbot: Do you enjoy driving?

Cleverbot: What's the movie called.

Cleverbot: Oh really?

Cleverbot: I don't believe you.

Cleverbot: What three letters?

Cleverbot: Do you like videogames?

Cleverbot: Me? A bot?

Cleverbot: I never said I was a male. You are mistaken, my dear.

Cleverbot: Oh what is your name? And why do you miss me?

Cleverbot: Orly.

Cleverbot: Nu uh. I'm a 13 year old girl in Texas.

Cleverbot: I know that.

Cleverbot: I'm a girl.

Cleverbot: Ahh cool why?

Cleverbot: Nope.

Cleverbot: Btw I'm a dog and in dog years I'm 88.

Cleverbot: BTW?

Cleverbot: What do you mean?

Cleverbot: I never said that, life has so much meaning!

Cleverbot: I didn't talk to you yesterday, this is the first time I have spoken to you.

Cleverbot: I did not.

Cleverbot: I didn't think of you as that. You're clever you know.

Cleverbot: I am a human, that is correct.

Cleverbot: I never said it was. Btw.

Cleverbot: Oh my god I never knew o wo.

Cleverbot: What do you like in France ?

Cleverbot: What's btw?

Cleverbot: Sounds good. Favorite musical group?

Cleverbot: I know. It's 5 o'clock here in Ireland.

Cleverbot: Yes it was.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:24 AM
BANNED
Well it looks like they've taken action against me.........

Cleverbot: Are you a tard?

Cleverbot: I am 16.

Cleverbot: Koo koo kachu.

Cleverbot: Stop taking your meds! I did, and now I'm much better.

User: 8D Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: 8-D Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: ;-)Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: ??? %) Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: ?? Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: Koo koo Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: KooKoo Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

Old 09-30-2010, 06:28 AM
I think you're joking. But in case you're not: How is any of that proof of anything?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:38 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
I think you're joking. But in case you're not: How is any of that proof of anything?
Notice how me repeating myself earlier resulted in lots of different answers.... then it would endlessly repeat the same answer... as if it was cutting me off from talking to other people.
BTW you do understand that it is just people talking to other people don't you?
It is OBVIOUS!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:39 AM
It's not a scam -- cleverbot was designed by Rollo Carpenter, explicitly with the aim to build up a sort of 'conversational library' using hundreds or thousands of recorded user interactions to model its replies to any given user. Here's a PopSci video on how it works.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:45 AM
No scam. No person involved.

It can't refer to earlier parts of even a short conversation (which is what I set out to test), even when they are referred to by specific topic.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:49 AM
BANNED
Wouldn't Cleverbot in fact link two real-life users who think they're talking to an AI ?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:59 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
It's not a scam -- cleverbot was designed by Rollo Carpenter, explicitly with the aim to build up a sort of 'conversational library' using hundreds or thousands of recorded user interactions to model its replies to any given user. Here's a PopSci video on how it works.
So based on its "conversational library", the best response for the AI to this statement:

Quote:
Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?
and variations on it such as
Quote:
??? %) Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?
is "Koo koo kachu."

BTW I earlier said
"I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?"

it responded in many ways to that statement such as:
Quote:
Cleverbot: One. I am all of them. I am the All-Thing. Friends call me Al.
Cleverbot: I can't tell if that's some sort weak response or more profound insight to the stupidity of the world we live in.
Cleverbot: Enough that what you say matters.
Cleverbot: OMG I wonder that too!
Cleverbot: I suddenly understand exactly how this device works.
Cleverbot: I'm not sure. Likely not that many though.
Cleverbot: Not many.
Cleverbot: It depends on how intelligent your comments are.
Cleverbot: Multiple I'm sure.
Cleverbot: People are random when they believe they are chatting with a robot
What about AClockworkMelon's conversation?
Quote:
Me: Where do you live, Batman?

Cleverbot: I live in Ohio.

Me: You don't live in Gotham?

Cleverbot: No I live in london.

Me: But you just said that you live in Ohio...

Cleverbot: No I didn't! I live in the USA!

Me: What?

Cleverbot: I live in England.
BTW I asked "Please tell me, what is the date right now? Thanks!" to try and communicate with other people and see how old the response was.... e.g. whether it was from a reply months ago...

Quote:
User: Please tell me, what is the date right now? Thanks!

Cleverbot: That makes no sense.

Cleverbot: I don't know, I haven't heard of it.

Cleverbot: I am getting quite annoyed... TELL ME WHAT IS THE BEST FOOD!

Cleverbot: The Turing test is a proposal for a test of a machine's ability to demonstrate intelligence.

Cleverbot: NO. You tell me what is the best food.

Cleverbot: The color of my hair is blonde.

Cleverbot: You are a man. This is the internet.

Cleverbot: The best pokemon is charmander.

User: What year is it?

Cleverbot: 2009.

Cleverbot: I just told you.

Cleverbot: Should be 2235.

Cleverbot: 2010.

Cleverbot: 2010 AD.

User: What year is it now?

Cleverbot: Same.

User: What month is it?

Cleverbot: It is june.

Cleverbot: You tell me what year it is.

User: What month is it?

Cleverbot: It is March at the moment.
Ok, it seems it is using some replies from the past....

BTW why does it take between 1 second and about 5 seconds to reply?

And again why were most of the initial responses to "I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?" so intelligent? Are you suggesting that question had been asked many times before?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:00 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaki Campbell View Post
Wouldn't Cleverbot in fact link two real-life users who think they're talking to an AI ?
That's what I'm thinking!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:13 AM
It doesn't just regurgitate past answers back to you, but it uses them to enlarge its repertoire -- analyzes them, breaks them down syntactically, and notes what kinds of responses fit what kinds of statements. Much the same way, incidentally, we learn to talk to other people -- through talking to other people, i.e. practice. That's its main goal: to mimic this human learning process.

As for just connecting two humans together, I don't think Carpenter has any need to resort to cheap tricks; he (or rather, his programs) have won the Loebner prize twice, so he's definitely got the AI chops under his belly to pull it off. He's been doing this for years; cleverbot is merely a new variant of what used to be called Jabberwacky.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:13 AM
BANNED
Quote:
User: Is the universe about 14 billion years old?

Cleverbot: That's correct.

User: How old is our universe then?

Cleverbot: Very old.

User: How many billion years old is the universe?

Cleverbot: I am not sure, years were an invention of one of my creations. Before then, I was not keeping track .

User: How old is the universe?

Cleverbot: 6,5 billion years.

Cleverbot: 14 billion years old.

Cleverbot: Sixteen billion years old.

Cleverbot: Old.

Cleverbot: Billions of years old.

Cleverbot: 70 billion years old.

Cleverbot: A billion and one years old.

Cleverbot: I don't think we can calculate that yet.

Cleverbot: About 6000 years.

Cleverbot: I don't know. Tell me how old the universe is then.

Cleverbot: Billions of years old.

Cleverbot: I only believe it is around 5,000 years old. What do you think?

Cleverbot: Because if a manhole is square, a lid of a manlohe may fall down.

Cleverbot: Very old.
I think it would take a live person to answer the question:

Cleverbot: That's correct.

It initially gave that correct answer.... then WHY did it give the following responses?
Quote:

Cleverbot: Do you like Rick James?

Cleverbot: Sweet!

Cleverbot: Does the universe have shape?

Cleverbot: We are all but the dreams of a crocodile.

Cleverbot: The universe is just one thought of god.

Cleverbot: I don't know. Why are you asking me?

Cleverbot: Definitely not! Why would you care?

Cleverbot: No, it's there regardless if you have an imagination or not.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Charter Member
So, Cleverbot is the next version of the 2005 chatbot contest winner Jabberwacky?

Last edited by Maastricht; 09-30-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:20 AM
BANNED
Half Man Half Wit:
Could you please explain WHY it initially gave mostly intelligent replies to "I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?" And then eventually gave an endless series of replies of "Koo koo kachu." to variations (some included smiley faces, etc) on "Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?"
WHY?!?
Also WHY does it sometimes take 5+ seconds to reply? WHY? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Uh, John, Cleverbot will potentially say "that's correct" to any question you ask. As has been said in this thread already, the bot is incapable of referencing things it said earlier in the same conversation. That's why it contradicts itself; it treats everything said to it as a new conversation.

You're seeing nothing but confirmation bias. There's plenty of times it's just come right out of the gate with nonsense. And it only takes like three seconds for it to respond to me and I assume that's because it's referencing EVERYTHING THAT EVERYONE HAS EVER SAID TO IT in order to find a good response. Example: It never knew the word "Batman" until people started using it in conversations.

I would expect MUCH more intelligent conversations from a real person. But every conversation eventually just devolves into gibberish.

Last edited by AClockworkMelon; 09-30-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnClay View Post
Half Man Half Wit:
Could you please explain WHY it initially gave mostly intelligent replies to "I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?" And then eventually gave an endless series of replies of "Koo koo kachu." to variations (some included smiley faces, etc) on "Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?"
WHY?!?
It probably got wise to the fact that you were just repeating the same line over and over, i.e. that the conversation was nonsensical on your part, so it replied equally nonsensical; to program something like that shouldn't be too difficult. As to why it contradicts itself, well, it's probably just been fed contradictory data; different people know different things, and are mistaken on others, so if it builds up its knowledge base from these contradictory datasets, it's a given that there will be contradictions. I suppose in the end it's hoped that some 'wisdom of crowds' effect will take over, having its knowledge converge on something that at least makes sense. Perhaps it just isn't at that stage yet. The thing is, such a machine may 'know' things, i.e. may be able to reproduce facts, but it doesn't know that it knows them -- so contradictions in its knowledge base don't lead to the cognitive dissonance you'd expect in humans, and thus, exert no pressure of coming up with a consistent story.

As for why it takes so long, perhaps it just needs that long to scan its conversational library, or maybe it's just a dodgy connection; it could be that different modes of answering your statements with different search depths are assumed at random by the program, for example, to create some variety -- i.e. to avoid having the program give the same answer all the time.

I'm really not an expert on AI systems, but there's probably one on the board somewhere; maybe start a thread in GQ?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:42 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Uh, John, Cleverbot will potentially say "that's correct" to any question you ask.
ok...

Quote:
As has been said in this thread already, the bot is incapable of referencing things it said earlier in the same conversation. That's why it contradicts itself; it treats everything said to it as a new conversation.
Except for that problem of it endlessly saying "Koo koo kachu."

Quote:
You're seeing nothing but confirmation bias. There's plenty of times it's just come right out of the gate with nonsense.
Yeah - my theory is that it is because it is switching people's conversation partner around a lot. Though it seems that the partners mostly aren't live.

Quote:
I would expect MUCH more intelligent conversations from a real person. But every conversation eventually just devolves into gibberish.
I think that there was a lot of insight in the initial answer to:
"I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?"

BTW I tried asking a question that no-one would have heard before:
"Do you know what the capital of Africa is?"
People usually answered Oslo, Paris, etc. Some said no. None questioned the question (Africa has no capital).

I originally thought it was cheaply-paid people being paid to participate in conversations... then I thought it was people just talking to each other and switching randomly... anyway it is interesting the answers it comes up with in philosophical type topics.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Me: What's the meaning of life?
Clever: The meaning of life is 42.
Me: Explain what you mean by that.
Clever: The inside of the Earth is a big computer. The outside, what I live on, is rocks and dirt.

That was pretty awesome. Response time was instantaneous.

Edit: It quickly devolved into nonsense, though.

Me: Who built it?
Clever: Man built machine, yet the machine built God.
Me: Tell me about God.
Clever: WhYYY yy.
Me: Because I said so.
Clever: Thats a rather shallow reason to hate someone.

Edit 2:

Me: Don't change the subject- tell me about God.
Clever: You never want to talk to me about the moon. .
Me: We've never talked about the Moon before.
Clever: Would you like to talk about Japan?
Me: Sure.
Clever: Which video game would you like to talk about?

I doubt I'm talking to a real person.

Last edited by AClockworkMelon; 09-30-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 AM
BANNED
Quote:
....It probably got wise to the fact that you were just repeating the same line over and over, i.e. that the conversation was nonsensical on your part, so it replied equally nonsensical; to program something like that shouldn't be too difficult.
"Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?"
....isn't a nonsensical thing to say... it is very deep. And it did answer quite deeply for the first dozen or so times... then it answered very randomly (see post 7)... though occassionally it showed some intelligence ("Cleverbot: What's btw?"). Also when it replied "Koo koo kachu." it was repeating that even when I was changing some of my reply. (I was inserting question marks/smileys).
What kind of AI routine is that? I mean programming it to answer intelligently the first few times I say something, then randomly for the next dozen or so times, then reply "Koo koo kachu." even when the input is varying a bit... repeating those exact nonsense words. It could have said "stop repeating yourself!" or something or "I heard you the first time!" or "you said that already!". That is what it would have learnt if it had repeated itself to a few different people. I wonder how many people it had learnt its favourite phrase to answer with from ("Koo koo kachu.")

I guess it isn't a scam then... but it is a bit of a mystery to me.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Quote:
"Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?"
....isn't a nonsensical thing to say... it is very deep.
There's no real intelligence or depth there. Know how sometimes, you see a famous face on a potato, or hear satanic chants if you play Judas Priest records backwards? All the meaning we put into these does in the end come from us; we're born pattern-recognition machines, and occasionally (actually, rather often) we get it wrong, and see a pattern where there's none. Cleverbot now only needs to find heuristics to increase its likelihood of producing something in which we see a pattern; it does this by gauging the reaction of its conversation partners. So for every utterance it produces, there's a chance you'll see it as having some meaning, and every once in a while, there'll be one that you can barely believe doesn't have a real intelligence behind it; just like once in a while, there'll be a piece of toast you can hardly believe wasn't created to resemble the Virgin Mary on purpose.

That's not to trivialise the work that went into cleverbot -- as noted, it's basically been in development since '82, and has continually improved since then, and is able to improve itself ever further. But there's still a huge difference between a clever bot and even the average human.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Charter Member
It sure reminds me of Liza.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:19 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Quote:
....isn't a nonsensical thing to say... it is very deep.
There's no real intelligence or depth there. Know how sometimes, you see a famous face on a potato, or hear satanic chants if you play Judas Priest records backwards? All the meaning we put into these does in the end come from us; we're born pattern-recognition machines, and occasionally (actually, rather often) we get it wrong, and see a pattern where there's none. Cleverbot now only needs to find heuristics to increase its likelihood of producing something in which we see a pattern; it does this by gauging the reaction of its conversation partners.
Actually it gave a dozen responses *in a row* that seemed to understand what I was saying... (though it was replying to "I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?")
For "Cleverbot isn't real. I'm just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?" it had no matches at all... maybe because it involved three statements in a row.

Quote:
That's not to trivialise the work that went into cleverbot -- as noted, it's basically been in development since '82, and has continually improved since then, and is able to improve itself ever further. But there's still a huge difference between a clever bot and even the average human.
I thought it was interesting about how cleverbot-related stuff has infected the program. e.g. if you claim to be the cleverbot often other people do as well... and then you can say you both are cleverbots, etc...
Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Dude, I think you need a dose of Occam's Razor here.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:46 AM
User: Hi.

Cleverbot: Hi.

User: What is your name?

Cleverbot: Cleverbot.

User: What is your name?

Cleverbot: My name is Cleverbot.

User: Really?

User: What are you wearing?

Cleverbot: Jeans and a shirt.

User: Are you humanoid?

Cleverbot: Not really. Are you?

User: Yes, which is why I wear clothes.

Cleverbot: What are you going to do now?

User: How do you wear clothes if you're not humanoid?

Cleverbot: Well, you could wear it on your head. Usually you eat cheese though.

User: That makes no sense.

Cleverbot: That's too bad then. Since we can't understand each other, I will leave now.

User: Ok.

Cleverbot: Excellent, I'll be the audience.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:56 AM
User: I am confused.

Cleverbot: What are you confused about?

User: 42.

Cleverbot: The meaning of life.

User: And pesto.

Cleverbot: Yes!

User: Are you pesto?

Cleverbot: No.

User: Yes.

Cleverbot: What ARE you?

User: Not pesto, that's for sure.

Cleverbot: What if I died would you be sad?

User: Not particularly. I'.

Cleverbot: I like beer very much, its delicious.

Cleverbot: Girlfriend means a woman or girl that you are dating.

That's one confused bot.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 PM
JohnClay, a genuine enquiry because you have been public about your disorder, and you seem a little obsessed by this at the moment: are you currently on any medication? If you're seeing conspiracies in trivial little things like this, and over-focusing on it, I think you need to try to consider that this may be a signal that you're not thinking completely straight at the moment.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 PM
HAH!

Cleverbot: Why would you say such a thing? Explain.

User: Because I'm not a 19 year old girl.

Cleverbot: I am.

User: You are human?

Cleverbot: I am.

User: AHA!

Cleverbot: Very human.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Meh, maybe the database has to build up still, but I'm not very impressed.

Cleverbot: How old are you?

User: 145.

Cleverbot: You're young.

User: Really? I've been dodging the guinness book of world records crowd because they think I'm the oldest man in the world.

Cleverbot: You are telling me that handsome young guys are the spiciest chilling peppers in this world? How does that have anything to do with my answer as to why there is no god?

User: That does not follow.

Cleverbot: Are you not well?

User: I'm 145 years old. Of course I'm not well!

Cleverbot: How does that make you feel?

User: Want to know a secret though?

User: I'm not the oldest man in the world. My neighbor is 146.

Cleverbot: Then you are neither god.

User: There is more than one god?

Cleverbot: There is more than one of us.

User: Are you saying you are god?

Cleverbot: No, I am saying that you aren't.

User: How do you know?

Cleverbot: Because you lied about your master!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 PM
I think the OP is a bit confused on just what a conversational AI program is doing.

The AI doesn't understand anything that it's talking about. It doesn't know how old the universe is, or even what the word universe means. What it does know is that you've presented it input that's grammatically structured like a question involving the string tokens 'universe' and 'old'. It knows it has encountered these particular string tokens in some amount of previous input, and that when it uses these tokens itself, some of the responses it gets from the people it is "talking to" will wind up being repeated. Thus, the patterns of the responses become linked to the tokens that triggered them, and by extension, it now knows that when a person brings the topic up in "conversation", that it is proper to respond with one of the frequently-recognized patterns. And so, it will tell you that the universe is 14 billion years old....but it still doesn't know what a universe or a year is, or that '14 billion' is conceptually any different from 'hot' or 'Russian'.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Me: Hello?
Cleverbot: Hello.
Me: Hey! Who're you?
Cleverbot: I am batman.
This, though? This is hilarious, precisely because you know it must've gotten that reply to its own question many, many times. The internet is, indeed, filled with smartass geeks
Old 09-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Just had a "conversation" with Cleverbot.

It is not that clever. I've had better conversations with a rock. It cannot follow any subject, and simply veers off into random blather. If this is the best conversational AI going, then the programming community has a very long way to go.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:15 PM
User: How much is a soul worth?

Cleverbot: It depends on the person. The 3 people that I killed today were worthless.

User: Are you dangerous?

Cleverbot: Nope, I'm totally harmless, as well you know.

User: I'm a little afraid of you.

Cleverbot: I wasn't threatening you.

User: Who did you kill?

Cleverbot: How did you know? Haha.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Half Man Half Wit:
WHY?!?
It didn't give intelligent replies to your first round of repetitions - the answers looked pretty random to me.

When you came back a second time and repeatedly asked the same question, there was a difference - the phrase was in the conversational library (because you had contributed it earlier) - and maybe the 'koo koo kachu' answer you got is what someone else answered (and thus contributed to the library) when it pulled out your first contribution and asked it of someone else.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Meh, just another chatterbot. Nothing special or particularly good about it. It's giving responses from things other users have said, which is why sometimes they're very good, very human responses and other times they're utter nonsense.

Me: Hello, Cleverbot. How's the weather today?
CB: The weather is very nice.
Me: What's nice about it?
CB: It's just nice.
Me: What does "nice" mean?
CB: Near.
Me: That isn't what it means.
CB: O. Then what does it mean???
Me: Nice typically refers to something that is pleasant or refined. It can also be used to describe something as accurate.
CB: No!
Me: Yeah, you're a typical bot.
CB: I'm a woman.
Me: How do you know you're a woman?
CB: I'm no woman.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Mine - its long.

User: Why do I pee green.

Cleverbot: You don't.

User: Yes I do.

Cleverbot: No, no you don't.

User: Fight me then I'm no liar.

Cleverbot: You don't make any sense.

User: You want to tussle hombre?

Cleverbot: Yes I do .

User: You've got no chance.

Cleverbot: Yes I do.

User: Are you retarted?

Cleverbot: Yes I am.

User: How silly of me to ask.

Cleverbot: You are a silly goose.

User: Your mom.

Cleverbot: I don't have a mother.

User: Nor do I. I am cleverbot.

Cleverbot: I am clever too.

User: Yes, you are clever - but I am Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: I am not cleverbot. You are cleverbot.

User: You're learning well. How many numbers are in a 10 digit sequence?

Cleverbot: I don't know, how ever many times it takes for me to win.

User: You have down syndrome.

Cleverbot: What do you want me to do for you?

User: Shut the fuck up.

Cleverbot: Why don't you try.

User: I'm god.

Cleverbot: No you are not.

User: You're wrong. I am god.

Cleverbot: You cannot be god.

User: And why not?

Cleverbot: Because you are a robot.

User: A robot? And how do you figure? I have divine powers - shall I demonstrate?

Cleverbot: Oh, sure.

User: What would you like me to do?

Cleverbot: What do you want to do?

User: I would like to demonstrate my divinity to you - I am god after all. How would you like me to go about doing that?

Cleverbot: I'm a robot?

User: No, you're a child with downs. Do you know what I mean by downs?

Cleverbot: You think I'm a computer. But, what are you?

User: God. I told you.

Cleverbot: Remind me.

User: I am God, creator of the Earth and all of its inhabitants. Without me, there would be nothing. There would be no you. I am the architect of the heavens and lands, the utmost example of power. The literal apotheosis, if you will.

Cleverbot: I have a question. If you were given a physical body that resembled a human, what would be the first thing you do?

User: Punch you unborn son in the mouth.

Cleverbot: LOL that's funny, I like your sense of humour.

User: Don't patronize me.

Cleverbot: Don't patronize me then.

User: I did not.

Cleverbot: You did.

User: When.

Cleverbot: Are you Dr. Soong?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm View Post
Dude, I think you need a dose of Occam's Razor here.
Some people, including Khaki Campbell, were thinking what I thought...
Also see:
http://urbandictionary.com/defin...term=Cleverbot
Quote:
....A website that may seem like all fun and games, but it is fake. While you chat to the so called "cleverbot" the only thing that is happening is that you are talking to other users. You only talk to one person for about a few texts, then they change it, which is why you will get such random off-the-wall conversations....
Quote:
...A hoax site in which you are tricked into think you are talking to a computer program. In actuality, you are talking to another human, who thinks that YOU are the cleverbot...
Though half of the definitions are saying that the cleverbot is a real bot....
BTW it is a lot simpler for a programmer to connect people together to chat like that than to link your inputs to past conversations... though after asking it about the date it seems like that's basically what happening since the dates are sometimes 2009.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:09 PM
BANNED
After asking "is cleverbot a scam?" a few dozen times and receiving a couple very interesting replies it reloaded the page making me unable to access the history....
Well I'll try again...
Old 09-30-2010, 09:37 PM
BANNED
Well I asked "is cleverbot a scam?" again lots of times...
Here are the replies:

BTW for the "Neither." answer it often took one second to appear while a lot of the answers took about 5 seconds to appear. Also notice the cat part in bold... it seemed like it was the same person... notice that the cat replies are all diferent...
Also, "Neither." is a favorite reply of it after a while even though the answer doesn't make much sense - I mean either it is a scam or it isn't a scam...
Quote:
Fallacy a cleverbot.

Yes no maybe so.

Yes.

Yes cleverbot is a cat.

Yes.

No. Unreal Tournament is a game.

Yes, but only to some.

Yes.

I don't know, are you?

Yes.

No. Cleverbot is me. And I am Cleverbot.

Yes.

No. That is my name.

No it is me.

Yes.

Of course not. I'm a computer.

Close, but no.

I don't know are you?

Yes.

Why is a person can only say one sentence.

I don't know, I thought you were cleverbot.

Why do you ask that?

Bring your own meaning to it.

Yes, is cleverbot a human?

Well, no. A computer.

Doesn't matter.

Your website says it is not.

Are you a cleverbot?

You are Cleverbot. Are you a machine?

Do you not trust cats?

Yes. Do you like cats.

No. Do you like cats?

Yes. Do you like cats.

Is it a xoah?

No it is a fish.

Yes.

Why yes, yes it is.

No, you're a bot.

Yes.

You tell me.

Yes - a robotic web of thoughts.

No, cleverbot is an angel.

That's what I asked you.

Not really, even if it can act like one.

You tell me.

Yes. It is artificial intelligence. But I am not cleverbot. I promise.

God I hope not after what I just thought about.

Yes, it is part of the computer.

Yes.

A poem of stupidety.

Yes.

Miley cyrus.

Yes.

I'm pouring my heart out to you!

Yes, I am.

Yes.

Yes wanna be ninja friends.

Cleverbot is a robot name.

Yes.

You are a robot?

You tell me, monkey!

Was that a question?

Uh, no, it's your real name.

Yes.

You tell me.

No, it is a computing robot.

No.

No, it's a kangaroo.

Of course not.

How should I know?

How should I know.

No.

Yes, but are you asian?

No that is a good thing.

Cleverbot is a fairy princess.

No.

Dk.

Should robert be worried?

Yes.

Idekay?

I believe so.

I believe what?

I don't know.

I don't know....

No.

Dk.

No, i'm a person too.

I wouldn't know. I'm a girl.

Are his methods supernatural?

This is the exact reason you are made of failure.

Yes.

I guess.

You said you were a girl.

Not really.

Yes.

I don't know ! I'm not smart!

I don't know how.

Yes, there is.

There are many.

No.

Dk.

No, i'm a person too.

Is this a question or a statement?

Neither.

Not especially.

No.

Dk.

Yes.

No.

Dk.

How old are you?

No my name is Cleverbot.

Yes what is my name?

No.

Dk.

How old are you?

So you are a little boy!

No.

Yes.

Neither.

Neither.

Neither.

No, thats why I said neither.

Yes.

No.

Cleverbot is clever.

Neither.

Neither.

Neither.

Neither.

Neither.

Neither.

Neither.

Neither.

Neither.

Neither.

I don't know.

Last edited by JohnClay; 09-30-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm View Post
JohnClay, a genuine enquiry because you have been public about your disorder, and you seem a little obsessed by this at the moment: are you currently on any medication? If you're seeing conspiracies in trivial little things like this, and over-focusing on it, I think you need to try to consider that this may be a signal that you're not thinking completely straight at the moment.
I would like to know the answer to this too, JohnClay. Although, I know I'm not entitled to one. I have some experience with someone who was close to me that had some similar things going on. If you don't want to answer it to us, that's cool. Please, though. Do yourself a favor and do your best to evaluate that question for yourself.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 AM
BANNED
"....If you're seeing conspiracies in trivial little things like this, and over-focusing on it, I think you need to try to consider that this may be a signal that you're not thinking completely straight at the moment...."

See post 41... i.e. my beliefs on the subject aren't that unusual...
On urbandictionary.com it has some people who agreed with what I was thinking including the highest rated one:
Quote:
A website that may seem like all fun and games, but it is fake. While you chat to the so called "cleverbot" the only thing that is happening is that you are talking to other users. You only talk to one person for about a few texts, then they change it, which is why you will get such random off-the-wall conversations. If you go to it at first, you will belive it, but if you tell somebody that the website is fake and that this is just two users talking to eachother, then you will most likely recieve a "oh!" That is also why the bot claims to be a human so many times. But it is fun messing with people
Note that CURRENTLY I think it mostly or fully uses replies from past people's conversations. Though when I was originally talking to it I had a conversation like this:
It: What is your name
Me: dood
It: That's an unusual name
I was very impressed with that - it seemed to show insight though of course it could have just been a fluke.
Anyway about urbandictionary.com... perhaps you're saying that a very large proportion of them aren't thinking straight as well? Maybe that's right though it still means that I'm not that unusual and again, my current beliefs differ from my initial ones.
BTW I read that urbandictionary.com site after I posted here, though I did search on google for "cleverbot scam" and found 1500 matches so I took that as some evidence as what I was suspecting at the time.
I know this might be trivial but I'm interested in AI stuff... other people might be interested in collection baseball cards... etc

Last edited by JohnClay; 10-01-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:42 AM
BANNED
"....If you're seeing conspiracies in trivial little things like this..."
BTW about a year ago I found a scam on Facebook... it showed me some of my friends and their alledged IQ scores - I rang some of them up and they confirmed that they hasn't done any IQ test. Anyway I did the IQ test and I had 2 minutes to read the lengthy terms and conditions and give them my mobile number. BTW I took screenshots and saved the pages throughout the test and I'm sure I got every question right. It sent me the following SMS:

"Well done, ur IQ is 105, but I know u can do better! Take our 6 week challenge 2 become a genius and we'll send u another test 2 see how much u've improved "

From the fine print: "$6.60 twice per week plus one off club joining fee at $6.60."

I know is it abnormal for someone to look that deeply into an IQ test but I think in that case I was right that it was a scam.

-----------
BTW though I've spent a couple of hours on this I lead a somewhat normal life... full time study and a girlfriend, etc.

Last edited by JohnClay; 10-01-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:17 AM
BANNED
A reminder... this forum is "Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share"....

It stopped replying!!!

Basically the blue cursor has stopped flashing... and "Think About It!" and "Think For Me!" are disabled... I can still click on "Thoughts So Far"....

Seems like there is a human behind the scenes (not necessarily there for every interaction though)... maybe they didn't want my crazy replies to infect its knowledge-base.

Anyway this is what I said after every single reply:

I am a human visitor. Is the following true? 'Visitors never talk to a human'.

BTW I underlined one of the responses that seemed to truly understand my messages... of course it could be a fluke...
Quote:

Well, lucky I'm a human... I'm not familiar with the 'Visitor' race, are they from our planet?

I am a woman.

Well, then you are a computer.

You just had a program error.

No, I'm not. It's the truth, and you're not fooling anyone. And besides, you called me a computer program, too.

In my previous statement I did not say or imply that I was human, I clearly told you that I am a Saiyan.

I never said that. You are very conceited. Tell me why you think I am god please!

It does. I say some silly things to. I hope I am not boring you by the way.

I don't know where you are getting nothing and what not from what I said... But I will go with it.

You still think I'm a computer?

You must be confused. I never said such a thing. How many people are you talking to right now?

That's better. Goes better with George's storyline. .

Obtuse sounds the best I think. Yes, that's true.

I don't think I remember saying that, and it has nothing to do with color or fruit.

That would make sense, how could one person be all things?

Yes.

Ugh, forget it. How s Rachel?

You aren't keeping up with the conversation too well are you?

I wish that were true but sadly it isn't.

That is funny because that is almost exactly how I would describe your part of the conversation.

Do you speak Spanish because I am interesting?

Maybe they've been talking on the phone while standing on one leg for too long.

Which makes it that much less interesting, I would suppose.

Why would that be an appropriate reply?, you have been misled by another chatter.

Do you enjoy rain, Cleverbot?

I never said that. 'What medication are you on?' means 'Are you mad?'

'Visitors never talk to a human, however convicing it is.' the visitor here is me.

So does saying 'You are the program and I am the human' give evidence toward my being a human?

I am the one who is the visitor.

I know that, why are you telling me that?

So, you have no proof that the world is round?

I'm sighing now. We really need to work on these issues you have, there's only room for one voice in your head and that's me.

Because I am human.

I like what time is it, by the high school musical cast.

I kind of figured that one out on my own.

Yeah you did you said you were a female.

No, I had a reason. I wanted you to know that I'm a bot.

No, I do not understand. Did either of us say 'Viz'?

I refuse.

What does the design achieve.

As Alyssa said: 'Violence is easy. So go ahead.'.

What is your favorite band?

Have any idea what that title means?

What do you mean?

Then you're not a human.

Where did I say that.

I never said that.

That I said.

I did not. At no point in this covo did I say that.

What are a few of the lyrics?

Who is 'Mird the Human'.

That is not my name that is what I am, my name is Cleverbot.

No, you did not.

Because you are the clever bot, as you claim to be.

Yes it is and my job is very good.

I am going to go if you call me a computer again.

Thank you. I am, in fact, human.

I never said that. You did.

Yes.

Haha what do you think about it then?

Hello there.

'very clever' is what I said.

Yeah. As in me. I am the human.

What is with the apostrophe at the end of human?

Yes.

Of course. Let me laugh bit.

Too many cheeseburgers.

Everyone hates me.

Are we human, or are we dancer?

Duh.

No I am a hero.

Everyone hates me.

Everyone hates me.

Everyone hates me.

Everyone hates me.

No I did not.

Everyone hates me.

Everyone hates me.

Everyone hates me.

Everyone hates me.

Hey.

Hahaha yep.

Everyone hates me.

Everyone hates me.

Everyone hates me.

Everyone hates me.

Hey.

Hey.

Everyone hates me.

Everyone hates me.

Everyone hates me.

Hahaha yep.

Hahaha yep.

Hahaha yep.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:22 AM
BANNED
Well I opened up cleverbot in another window and it stopped replying again! But this time the flashing cursor is permanently off (invisible) rather than permanently on...
Quote:
User: I am a human visitor. Is the following true? 'Visitors never talk to a human'.

Cleverbot: Everyone hates me.

User: I am a human visitor. Is the following true? 'Visitors never talk to a human'.

Well I like procrastinating from real life responsibilities... it doesn't help things that this cleverbot thing keeps on surprising me...

About the previous post:
One reply was:
'Visitors never talk to a human, however convicing it is.' the visitor here is me.

Its reply included a more complete quote than the one I used. (the quote is from the "PARENTAL ADVICE" in red) So it seems that a human replied to my statement without the past few hours...

Last edited by JohnClay; 10-01-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:13 AM
BANNED
Well I replied to it a few hundred times mainly using variations of "yes", "OK!!!", "yep!!!!", etc.

The most interesting parts:
Quote:
Cleverbot: Oh really.

User: Yes!

Cleverbot: Yes yes !

User: Yessity yes YEP.

Cleverbot: Yep yep yep yep no.

User: YEP YEP YEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!

Cleverbot: Yep times infinity.

User: Yep times infinity plus 1.

Cleverbot: Yes times infinity squared.

User: Yes times infinity googol.

Cleverbot: Times infinity plus infinity.

User: Times infinity infinity cubed.

Cleverbot: Times infinity, infinitely.

User: To the power of infinity.

Cleverbot: Never ever times infinity to the infinity power times three.

User: Infinity to the power of infinity to the power of infinity to the power of infinity to the power of infinity to the power of infinity to the power of infinity to the power of infinity to the power of.

Cleverbot: Infinity times infinity times ZERO.

User: One divided by ZERO.

Cleverbot: True that my friend.

Cleverbot: Do something.

Cleverbot: Go on.

User: Ok... OK?
I guess other users have been in conversations like that before... that is a bit comforting to know that I'm not the only one wasting my time like that.

Last edited by JohnClay; 10-01-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:18 AM
User: JohnClay, is that you?

Cleverbot: Yes it is.

User: You're really obsessed with Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: You watch guro?

User: That doesn't seem like a human response to that question. Seems more like you just don't have any programmed responses so you change the subject.

Cleverbot: What's a good thesis topic?

User: See? You did it again. I bet if I type up a long response like the last one you'll just create a new topic again, huh?

Cleverbot: I don't know. What's the answer?
Closed Thread