Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 AM
CCs to Grams

I hate to ask this since it should be fairly easy to look up - yet I've had no real luck (and have been a bit confused).

How many CCs are in a gram?

I have some creatine that has a 8.5 CC scoop, but on the container of the creatine it says take one scoop, which is 5 grams... Is this conversion correct? I also had some other stuff that was a powder (DAA), which I'm supposed to take 3 grams of. It would be easy if I could just get a 3 gram scoop, but no such luck.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 AM
A gram is a unit of mass, while a cc (cubic centimeter) is a measure of volume. The density of the material would need to be considered.

I have no idea the density of your two substances, since they are probably not 100% pure one substance.

Last edited by BigT; 10-24-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
It depends on what you're measuring.

CC (cubic centimeters) are units of volume.

Grams are units of mass.

One CC of gold dust is a lot heavier (a lot more grams) than one CC of aluminum powder. You'd have to know the density of the creatine to know the conversion factor.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Charter Member
One gram is defined as the weight of 1cc (1mL) of pure water (H2O), so like others have said, the conversion will depend on the density of the material being measured.

Last edited by USCDiver; 10-24-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: clarified
Old 10-24-2010, 09:18 AM
To further clarify, your question is similar to asking how one would convert gallons to pounds.

mmm
Old 10-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Charter Member
A teaspoon can be considered to be 5 CCs.

As noted, you need to consider the density of the material, but as a couple of quick reference points. I just weighed a teaspoon of 4 things:

5cc water = 5 gm
5cc salt = 6 gm
5cc sugar = 6 gm
5cc flour = 3.5 gm

(These are approximate weights, this was done on an electronic kitchen/postage scale not a laboratory Mettler. Someone will be along shortly with true scientific data for you

Your creatine scoop of 8.5cc for 5 gm would indicate that its density is more like flour than sugar.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
One gram is defined as the weight of 1cc (1mL) of pure water (H2O)
No. A gram is defined as 0.001 * the mass of the IPK located in Sèvres, France.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
One gram is defined as the weight of 1cc (1mL) of pure water (H2O), so like others have said, the conversion will depend on the density of the material being measured.
This is false; 1 cc of water is only approximately one gram, as a result of the true definition of the gram as being a fraction of the standard kilogram in France. It might happen to be close enough if you aren't doing precision work.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Charter Member
Hmm, all those years of hard science gone to waste!
Old 10-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
No. A gram is defined as 0.001 * the mass of the IPK located in Sèvres, France.
Which for anything that actually matters is equal to 1mL of pure water.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
To further clarify, your question is similar to asking how one would convert gallons to pounds.

mmm
Not reallly, unless you are talking about the UK monetary pound. A gallon is four pounds.

Declan
Old 10-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Not reallly, unless you are talking about the UK monetary pound. A gallon is four pounds.
Four pounds of what? Gallon is a unit of volume.

In any case, one old definition of a Commonwealth liquid gallon was the volume of ten (not four) pounds of water at 62F. Now it is defined in terms of liters.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Quote:
A gallon of milk will weigh between 8.63 (skim) and 8.6 (whole) pounds, by dairy industry standards. A gallon of water weighs in at 8 pounds, which we remember by that ditty "a pint's a pound the world around." (1 gallon = 8 pints)

I'm not sure what would weigh in at 4 pounds to the gallon. Oil, perhaps? Something considerably less dense than water. ETA: Ah, google, how I love thee. Pumice and some woods are almost exactly half the density of water. I don't know that I've ever seen them in a gallon measurement, however.

Last edited by WhyNot; 10-24-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
Four pounds of what? Gallon is a unit of volume.

In any case, one old definition of a Commonwealth liquid gallon was the volume of ten (not four) pounds of water at 62F. Now it is defined in terms of liters.
A gallon is a unit of volume at ground level, when a plane is fueled and takes off, those gallons become weight.

Your other point, I use American standard rather than imperial. How many hogshead to the rod dont have much relevance to me.

Declan
Old 10-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Ok, this makes sense. Both the creatine and the DAA came with the same size scooper - which is why I thought it was wrong. The scooper is 5 grams of creatine and 3 grams of DAA. DAA is a lot more "fluffy" then creatine, so what has been written makes sense.

Thanks all.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:
A gallon is a unit of volume at ground level, when a plane is fueled and takes off, those gallons become weight
A gallon is a unit of volume period. The plane's fuel gauge doesn't somehow mystically start measuring weight instead of volume the instant the plane's wheels leave the ground.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Quote:

Declan
OK, then lift a gallon of solid lead with one arm.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Quote:
A gallon is a unit of volume at ground level, when a plane is fueled and takes off, those gallons become weight.
Declan
Ok, I understand your point, and perhaps "gallon" is used as a weight measurement in aviation as it relates to fuel, I don't know. But airplane fuel is still not 4 pounds to a gallon.
Quote:
Avgas has a density of 6.02 lb/U.S. gal at 15 °C, or 0.721 kg/l, and this density is commonly used for weight and balance computation. Density increases to 6.40 lb/US gallon at -40 °C, and decreases by about 0.5% per 5 °C (9 °F) increase in temperature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgas
Old 10-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Declan- why wouldn't whole milk, which has more lower-density fat, weigh less per gallon than skim milk?
Old 10-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
A gallon of water weighs in at 8 pounds, which we remember by that ditty "a pint's a pound the world around." (1 gallon = 8 pints)
No. No, it isn't. One US pint of water is 1.04 pounds. One Imperial pint of water is 1.25 pounds. Link. That little ditty is so wrong it's scary.

Last edited by Sunspace; 10-25-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:34 PM
I was really hoping for a thread on the etiquette of emailing your grandmother.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot From Guns View Post
I was really hoping for a thread on the etiquette of emailing your grandmother.
I first read this as "embalming your grandmother."
Old 10-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I first read this as "embalming your grandmother."
Well, the first rule is "be really, really sure she's dead."
Old 10-26-2010, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
Declan- why wouldn't whole milk, which has more lower-density fat, weigh less per gallon than skim milk?
No idea

Looks like my problem was that a gallon is a gallon, but the liquid that fills the gallon will vary from substance to substance. So your gallon of whole milk and someone elses gallon of molten lead will give me different degrees of weight.

Had my blinkers on when remembering reading a passage in a book regarding fueling operations. Did'nt bother to even remember that weight of water =|= weight of kerosene.

And even then I was off by two pounds for kerosene.

Declan
Old 10-26-2010, 02:52 AM
From here, on the question of how many grams of creatine does a teaspoon weigh.

Quote:
Answer
Prev answer: Approximately 5 grams.

Other answer:

My measurements show that in actual standardized measures you use for cooking:
1 level tablespoon = 11g
1 level tsp ~ 3.67g

This was measured w/ GNC brand unflavored creatine monohydrate powder which is somewhat finer than table salt but coarser than protein powder. Scooped 10 tablespoons, weighed that and divided by 10. (repeated 2x )

Note for the unfamiliar that the utensil teaspoon (that you might eat cereal with) is generally a lot larger than the tsp measurement. An average teaspoon from my drawer filled to "rounded" (but not heaping) measured out to about 10g.

The instructions on the tub suggested that a 5g serving is "a heaping teaspoon". That seems about right for a teaspoon MEASURE, but NOT for the utensil.
If this is correct, then it would be a little less than a teaspoon (measurement).
Old 10-26-2010, 03:53 AM
I keep hoping somewhere in one of these threads we'll stumble upon what "14 k of g in a f p d" means.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
Which for anything that actually matters is equal to 1mL of pure water.
No, because the density of water (that is, the amount a cc of water weighs) varies with temperature.

(Pst, can we haz nested quotes back?)
Old 10-26-2010, 05:24 AM
That's really weird...where did my earlier reply go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace View Post
No. No, it isn't. One US pint of water is 1.04 pounds. One Imperial pint of water is 1.25 pounds. Link. That little ditty is so wrong it's scary.
Eh, good enough for kitchen work, if not laboratory. 0.64 ounces difference. (18 grams. 280 grains. 0.003 stones. 10.24 drams. 11.67 pennyweight.)
Old 10-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Quote:
A gallon of milk will weigh between 8.63 (skim) and 8.6 (whole) pounds, by dairy industry standards. A gallon of water weighs in at 8 pounds, which we remember by that ditty "a pint's a pound the world around." (1 gallon = 8 pints)

I'm not sure what would weigh in at 4 pounds to the gallon. Oil, perhaps? Something considerably less dense than water. ETA: Ah, google, how I love thee. Pumice and some woods are almost exactly half the density of water. I don't know that I've ever seen them in a gallon measurement, however.
This and the talk about gallons and fuel weight reminded me of a story I read in Air & Space magazine... ahh, here it is: Above & Beyond: Milk Run.

A good reminder of why you should keep your volumes, weights and densities in good order.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
This and the talk about gallons and fuel weight reminded me of a story I read in Air & Space magazine... ahh, here it is: Above & Beyond: Milk Run.
Great story.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Charter Member
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace View Post
Eh, good enough for kitchen work, if not laboratory. 0.64 ounces difference. (18 grams. 280 grains. 0.003 stones. 10.24 drams. 11.67 pennyweight.)
Except it's only good enough for kitchen work in the US, not "the world around".

In places that use the imperial system, you'd be out by 4 oz, which is a significant difference.