Old 11-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Last commercially released Genesis/SNES game?

Just a thought that struck me the other day, I grew up on the Sega Genesis (well Megadrive over here) and the Super Nintendo and I was wondering what was the last game released for those two systems.

They had to stop making games for them at some point but when?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:59 AM
According to this list of last games released on video game consoles on Wikipedia the last SNES game was Metal Slader Glory, released 11.29.2000 in Japan. The last Genesis game was Frogger, released 6.1.1998 in North America.

Last edited by Uosdwis R. Dewoh; 11-02-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Oh, wow, didn't think there'd actually be a wikipedia page on it. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:43 PM
There are still hobbyists releasing new games for the Atari 2600; they even release new cartridges, as opposed to just ROMs for the various emulators. There's a Wikipedia article about that, too.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Charter Member
Shoot, I had a thread about the last game for each system, but I can't find it now.

As for the PS2, it looks like in the US, Aragorn's Quest is going to be the last game of any worth or attention to come out.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Charter Member
And for the Gameboy Color, it was Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, I think.

I like finding these things out. Feel free to list any other systems last games anyone knows.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Technically a new game was released for the NES earlier this year. Comes on a cart and everything. Your choice whether or not to accept this as a valid answer, though.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
Technically a new game was released for the NES earlier this year. Comes on a cart and everything. Your choice whether or not to accept this as a valid answer, though.
Did Nintendo approve it with their seal?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Charter Member
I was amazed when I saw that Madden 2011 was released for PS2. Yes, they are STILL making PS2 games!!

In my experience, anything coming out for the PS2 since the PS3 system was released has been HORRIBLE.

I'm pretty sure one of the Madden football games was also the last released Gamecube game. THE VERY DAY that the Wii first came out, Gamecube all but disappeared from store shelves.

The last officially-endorsed-by-Nintendo NES game was Wario's Woods, which came out in 1995. It was also the only NES game to get a rating (K-A).
Old 11-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusoya View Post
I was amazed when I saw that Madden 2011 was released for PS2. Yes, they are STILL making PS2 games!!

In my experience, anything coming out for the PS2 since the PS3 system was released has been HORRIBLE.
I think Aragorn's Quest is even later than Madden 11, though I have heard of no totally original games past that. Most games on the PS2 are sports games or very late translated Japanese games and so forth.

Persona 4 is one of the final seriously major releases I can think of.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I think Aragorn's Quest is even later than Madden 11, though I have heard of no totally original games past that. Most games on the PS2 are sports games or very late translated Japanese games and so forth.
A PS2 version of Major League Baseball 2K11 was announced just this week. It'll probably be released in February.