Old 11-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Do coma patients poop?

Inspired by a certain scene in a recent TV premiere (& also a certain British horror film). Would a coma patient, who's been fed through an IV for at least a couple of weeks still poop or have any kind of "discharge"? It's not like they're getting alot of fiber. I know they'd still be urinating & be cathederized. Would they also be wearing some kind of diaper? A colostomy bag?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Charter Member
I had a rectal catheter.

A portion of the feces is cells from the lining of the intestines and bacteria.

Also, long term feeding is a baby formula/meal replacement type of liquid delivered through a gastric tube.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Charter Member
Yes, coma patients have bowel movements. Feeding can either be the baby formula style runner pat mentions (if the gastrointestional system is working) or TPN (total parental nutrition) delivered via IV. TPN contains nutrients and lipids, usually.

Taking care of the bowel movements can be anything from a rectal catheter, a diaper, or nothing (if the patient has a problem with the skin on his bottom.)
Old 11-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Do coma patients poop?
Everybody poops.

Unless you're Catholic, so sayth Griffin.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Charter Member
I have never heard a "rectal catheter" before.... I thought they'd just use diapers. Oh, well, ignorance fought again!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Mistress View Post
Yes, coma patients have bowel movements. Feeding can either be the baby formula style runner pat mentions (if the gastrointestional system is working) or TPN (total parental nutrition) delivered via IV. TPN contains nutrients and lipids, usually.

Taking care of the bowel movements can be anything from a rectal catheter, a diaper, or nothing (if the patient has a problem with the skin on his bottom.)
What happens if they use nothing? Like, do they have to clean the bed up every day? Or are rubber sheets enough or something?

Last edited by Freudian Slit; 11-04-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Charter Member
If the patient is left bare because of skin problems, yes, the bed is changed whenever it is soiled. Sometimes this means several times a day, but it helps to prevent further skin breakdown.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:15 PM
From a medical school lecture:

25% of feces is e. coli.
25% of science is based on e. coli.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
I had a rectal catheter.
I'm having trouble envisioning a "rectal catheter," and I'm not about to google it at work. Can someone explain how this works? I thought catheters were good for removing liquids (like urine), but solids (like feces) not so much.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Charter Member
PDF Directions for use of one fecal catheter

This should be safe for work as it is a straightforward instruction manual put out by the manufacturer. Everything you ever wanted to know and more!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Charter Member
I'm assuming that the feces when tube feeding are less formed and much softer than usual. I do know a tube feeds into a bag just like a urinary catheter.

Aren't you glad you asked?