Old 11-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Charter Member
Farina, semolina, Cream of Wheat

Is there a difference between farina and semolina? Or, when used as a breakfast cereal such as Cream of Wheat, are the terms interchangeable?
Old 11-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Semolina is the wheat middlings specifically from durum wheat.

Farina is the wheat middlings from every other kind of wheat.

Semolina is yellow in color. It tastes different from farina.

Farina is whitish. Farina is also coarser.

Last edited by Hello Again; 11-13-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:50 PM
BANNED
For fuck's sake, this has to be the nadir.

I don't care if I get banned for saying it.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Charter Member
Shut up and eat your Cream of Wheat.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:31 PM
BANNED
That's what my mother said, while drinking a Manhattan right before the CCD meeting.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Mod note

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLogan View Post
For fuck's sake, this has to be the nadir.

I don't care if I get banned for saying it.
I'm not going to ban you for it -- but if you think a thread is stupid, ignore the thread, don't post in it. Easy peasy.

Thanks,

twickster, Cafe Society moderator
Old 11-13-2010, 04:42 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
I'm not going to ban you for it -- but if you think a thread is stupid, ignore the thread, don't post in it. Easy peasy.

Thanks,

I totally agree with you 99% of the time, but there's going to be the 1% where something has to be said.

Gracias...
Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 PM
I love Cream of Wheat. I make it half milk and half water. Pure milk tastes better but too many calories.

I make it at least three times a week. Great stuff. With either blueberrys or raisins and honey.

Cream of Wheat does have a thickener agent added so it cooks in 2 1/2 minutes. Without it, it would take 12 or more minutes.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-13-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:31 PM
What's so low about wanting to know what different grains are? Now I'm curious in the difference between duram wheat and all the other kinds of wheat.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Charter Member
They tried using quadratriticale, but the tribbles ate it all.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 PM
BANNED
Cream of Wheat is a brand name of farina. CoCo wheats are chocolate farina. I loved CoCo Wheats growing up.

Malt-O' Meal is malt and farina.

Farina is ground wheat, Cream of Rice is similar but made of rice and grits are ground corn and similar. Pretty much every grain has been ground up and made into a cereal
Old 11-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Cream of Wheat does have a thickener agent added so it cooks in 2 1/2 minutes. Without it, it would take 12 or more minutes.
Cream of Wheat comes in three different varieties: 10-minute, 2 1/2-minute, and 1-minute. I prefer the 2 1/2-minute, and usually eat it at least once a week.

And now, a song from my mother (who sings this song any time someone mentions Cream of Wheat):

Cream of Wheat is so good to eat...
Old 11-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post

Thanks,

Just what the heck is "pease porridge," anyways?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:50 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by descamisado View Post
Just what the heck is "pease porridge," anyways?
It's made of peas and it's similar to hummus or refried beans (if you were to delump them totally) in texture.

You can make it lots of ways, but my mum would use pork for flavouring the yellow split peas

Last edited by Markxxx; 11-13-2010 at 09:51 PM.