Old 11-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Charter Member
Jim Jones and the suicides: Why Flavor Aid and not Kool-Aid?

Yep, I know that sometimes "Kool-Aid" is used as a generic term for powdered drink mixes, but here's the question:

In any documentary programming on Jim Jones and the suicide/murders, one of the pieces of stock footage that's always shown in Jones opening a chest of powdered drink mixes, clearly labeld both Kool-Aid and Flavor Aid. With that. . .

How do we know that only Flavor Aid was used for mixing the poison?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 PM
I assumed that, since Kool-Aid is more likely to be a sponsor at least some show on the channel, the Flavor Aid was more likely to be mentioned. As, every time I've heard it in just conversation, they use Kool-Aid
Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm personally not convinced we do. I remember a previous thread on this, but no one ever produced any contemporary pictures to support that it was flavor-aid. Do you have pictures you can link to, or to that footage?

I think I've seen this "fact" posted on the Kool-aid web site, but they're hardly unbiased.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 PM
BANNED
At this late date, (25 years after the fact) is Kool-Aid really still worrried about guilt by association?

It seems to me that anyone old enough to remember the event is old enough to realize that Kool Aid wasn't actually a corporate sponsor of the People's Temple, right?

Is it just a matter of trying to not have ANY possible association with such a trainwreck?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBeam View Post
Do you have pictures you can link to, or to that footage?
Not currently, but these docs air with some regularity on the various "doc" channels (Nat Geo, Discovery, etc.). This footage is pretty much part and parcel of any doc relating to the Jonestown.
Quote:
I think I've seen this "fact" posted on the Kool-aid web site, but they're hardly unbiased.
It's also repeated on this site any time the subject comes up.

ETA: There are Jonestown docs on youtube. I'll watch some and come back with a source.

Last edited by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker; 11-29-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:28 PM
I thought the beauty of Flavor-Aid (as a kid) was that it was a kool-aid type powder that you dipped that white stick into and licked off the crystals...
Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Here's the thread I mentioned. Worth reading.

Cardinal has some links in post 13 that discuss this.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
At this late date, (25 years after the fact) is Kool-Aid really still worrried about guilt by association?
I really do think they should be worried about phrases like "[getting someone] to drink the Kool-Aid." It creates negative affect.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:46 PM
"Superstar"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
I thought the beauty of Flavor-Aid (as a kid) was that it was a kool-aid type powder that you dipped that white stick into and licked off the crystals...
That would be Fun-Dip or Lik M Aid

Flavor Aid was to Kool Aid what Hydrox was Oreos.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 11-29-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
Not currently, but these docs air with some regularity on the various "doc" channels (Nat Geo, Discovery, etc.). This footage is pretty much part and parcel of any doc relating to the Jonestown.
I'd want to be sure that footage wasn't reenactment footage someone filmed for dramatic effect. If the question of which was used wasn't settled, they could have used both to avoid complaints from the two companies.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Charter Member
Here's the oldest story on the suicides I could find. The story says it was Kool-Aid. However, it was based on the eyewitness report of a survivor, who, I'm guessing, was not precise about the use of brand names.

I think we'll need more definitive original source material.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:18 PM
BANNED
Evidently Kool Aid considered a prime candidate for awhile
Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Regardless of the actual facts, Kool-Aid will be forever associated with the Jonestown suicides.

Pass the Kool-Aid.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:49 AM
SDSAB
Of course Wiki has an article!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid
Old 11-30-2010, 11:07 AM
I did research on the massacre (for a debate) the year after it occurred and I don't remember coming across any mention of Flavor Aid at that time. That doesn't mean it wasn't the brand used, since people often lump similar products under the brand name they are most familiar with. Pass the Kleenex.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:53 AM
SDSAB
It's on top of the fridge. After I'm done xeroxing this, I need an aspirin, but then I'll get it for you.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
It's on top of the fridge. After I'm done xeroxing this, I need an aspirin, but then I'll get it for you.
Yeesh. After that many brand-name jokes, I need something stronger than aspirin. Perhaps some nice heroin.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Excellent View Post
Yeesh. After that many brand-name jokes, I need something stronger than aspirin. Perhaps some nice heroin.
Aspirin is still a brand name in some places (like Canada). For those in places (like Canada), it's a lost trademark in the USA.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Time's reporters mention Flavor Aid:

http://time.com/time/photogaller...799897,00.html

But, if someone can trace this documentary we could see if indeed both Kool-Aid and Flavor-Aid were present at the scene of the crime!

http://xrayspex.blogspot.com/2007/10...rathon_17.html
Quote:
THE KILLING OF AMERICA, as the subtle, understated title implies, is about violence in the United States. Released in 1982 -- but, tellingly, not released in America -- the documentary charts famous and infamous crimes over the past few decades. They range from random convenience store shootings to the mass killings at Jonestown. It's an intense viewing experience, but it's grimly fascinating, too. Tough to watch, but tougher to look away.

We meet usual suspects Charles Manson, David Berkowitz and Jim Jones (who, giving a tour of the Jonestown supply hut, displays a case of Kool Aid and Fla-Vor-Aid).
The site shows an image of an open case with both Kool-Aid and Flavor-aid boxes, reported to appear when Jim Jones gives the tour.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 11-30-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Never mind, I found the clip:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mk6EGP1Nngc
(First 20 seconds)
(Rest of the video suitable only for mature audiences)

Jim Jones himself opening the crate and inside, Flavor-Ade ( ) and Kool-Aid.

He does mention the Kool-Aid, but I have some doubts about the Flavor-Aid, looks like it says Flavor-Aid, but can someone confirm if the boxes look like the wholesale packaging that Flavor-Aid used in the 80's?

Last edited by GIGObuster; 11-30-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Because he was that much of a bastard that even knowing it was going to be mass suicide, he STILL wouldn't spring for the more expensive stuff?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Aspirin is still a brand name in some places (like Canada). For those in places (like Canada), it's a lost trademark in the USA.
Wasn't Heroin a brand name as well?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Wasn't Heroin a brand name as well?
Yes; both Aspirin and Heroin were owned by Bayer, a German company, and they were both lost in America as a result of the First World War.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 PM
SDSAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
Yes; both Aspirin and Heroin were owned by Bayer, a German company, and they were both lost in America as a result of the First World War.
I had no idea about Heroin! Interesting stuff: http://drugs.uta.edu/heroin.html
Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
He does mention the Kool-Aid, but I have some doubts about the Flavor-Aid, looks like it says Flavor-Aid, but can someone confirm if the boxes look like the wholesale packaging that Flavor-Aid used in the 80's?
No it definately says Kool Aid

Here's a screen shot from the above clip
Old 12-01-2010, 02:53 AM
This is one of the oddest questions ever. It reminds me of something John Waters use to say. He got a job at Vogue magazine because he wanted a press pass. He wanted a Vogue press pass so he could go to accident and murder sites and ask the police what kinds of shoes the victims were wearing.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Fridge was a brand name?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Fridge was a brand name?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
No it definately says Kool Aid

Here's a screen shot from the above clip
I was not clear enough, the ones reporting on the documentary say that both packages of Kool-Aid and Flavor-ade are in the crate. (Film resolution could be the difference here)

The possible Flavor-Aid packs are to the left of the Kool-Aid ones, but it is not so clear on video resolution, hence the need to compare the boxes with bulk Flavor-Ade packages of the day.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 12-01-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pearse View Post
Fridge was a brand name?
The worst brand name ever. I'm tired of seeing "refridgerator" all over the internet.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pearse View Post
Fridge was a brand name?
I guess that depends on whether one thinks "fridge" decends from Frigidaire, a brand name, or refrigerator, a word dating back to 1605 (in its earlier variant "refrigeratory").

Last edited by Sailboat; 12-01-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
I was not clear enough, the ones reporting on the documentary say that both packages of Kool-Aid and Flavor-ade are in the crate. (Film resolution could be the difference here)
That's possible. This is the same footage that I mentioned in the OP, and in the various docs there's no question that there are containers of both mixes.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Charter Member
Didn't Jim Jones and the Suicides open for the Brian Jonestown Massacre?