Old 02-08-2001, 12:41 PM
I pluck my nose hairs on a periodic basis. I use a pair of needle-nosed pliers I bought just for doing this (I disinfect them with alcohol before use).

Someone recently told me that "It's dangerous to pluck nose hairs." She said it could cause an infection, it could destroy the hair follicles, blaa, blaa, blaa.

I've been doing it for over 8 years and haven't gotten an infection. And so what if it damages the hair follicles? I don't want them to grow anyway.

So am I doing any irreversible harm to myself? Has anyone actually gotten an infection from plucking their nose hairs?
Old 02-08-2001, 12:50 PM
Women regularly pluck hairs from all parts of their bodies, yet they donít have all over infections (save a couple of ex-girlfriends). God if I didnít pluck, I would have nasal hair around my knees by now
Old 02-08-2001, 01:10 PM
OUCH!

That makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Why don't you just buy one of those "Turbo Groomer" things from Sharper Image? That way you can do your ear hair too.
Old 02-08-2001, 01:19 PM
Charter Member
Yep, it's possible to get an infection, just the same as it's possible to get an infection from popping a zit. You can also get infections just by being alive. The danger with the nasal area, though, is that the veins that drain the area under the nose end up emptying straight back into the brain, and there's an old adage about not messing with anything inside the nose and the filtrum area because you don't want that to happen because of dire consquences. (Now diagram that!) At least, that's how it could work in theory. Now, finding an actual documented case of it is as elusive as finding one of a candiru catfish attack.
Old 02-08-2001, 01:26 PM
Yikes! My eyes are watering just thinking about it. Brrrrrr.

Remember, the nose is full of warmed moist air, as well as mucus (and the bacteria it has trapped). This is a wonderful breeding ground for bacteria and infections in the gaping hole left by a pulled nasal cilia (proportional to the size of a bacterium).

I have had an ingrown hair in my nose, and believe me, it was neither fun nor pretty. Having it lanced was neither fun nor pretty nor cheap.

And you do this to yourself regularly?! My gawd, man, get a trimmer!
Old 02-08-2001, 01:43 PM
I think this was the original torture scene from "Marathon Man". I kinda went like this:

bad guy: Don't worry, we aren't going to pull from that nostril again; that nostril is already bald. No, we're going to pull from a new nostril.

Dustin Hoffman: Eeeehhh.

*doink*

Dustin Hoffman: Ooooooooowwwww!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2001, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Crafter_Man
I pluck my nose hairs on a periodic basis. I use a pair of needle-nosed pliers I bought just for doing this (I disinfect them with alcohol before use).
I pull the ones that extend out my nostril. Sometimes I miss seeing them because I have a moustache and they kinda camoflage in. So then I'm at work and I see it, pluck it, and my eyes water for about 2 minutes.

If it's between nasal infection and grossing out my co-workers, I remember Fernando's words: "It is better to look good than to feel good." pluck!
Old 02-08-2001, 02:49 PM
Charter Member
I'm getting more vain as I grow older. The appearance of big black hairs jutting out of my nostrils was an unwelcome sign of impending geezerhood. I pluck 'em rather than trim because I don't want them growing back. Although I just use standard tweezers. (Needle nosed pliers?)
Old 02-08-2001, 02:55 PM
The old nose trimmer works great for me. Only occasionally does it grab hold of a hair & pull - Ouch! Why would anyone do this to themselves on purpose?
Old 02-08-2001, 07:12 PM
owwowwowowowowww

Well, if you've done this for eight years without infection, you're probably fine. My SO has reached the age where nose hairs are an issue, so I know he does...something to them. Trim or pluck, I do not know. (Nor do I want to, really.)

In the Middle East barbers will remove nose and ear hair with a candle flame. I watched my brother get this done in Turkey. It looked alarming, but the barbers are good at this; my bro felt nothing.

Not that I'm advocating self immolation to remove nose hairs, mind you.
Old 02-08-2001, 08:30 PM
I use a nose trimmer fo rorutine maintenance, and do an occasional breakthrough pluck.

Once I got a small infection in my nose from doing this. Such is life. It was neither painful nor dangerous.

I find the black Revlon tweezers to be better than its competition. You can by a motorized plucker at Walmart for about ten bucks. I don't have ear hair yet, fortunately.
Old 02-08-2001, 09:14 PM
I used to pluck my nosehairs, but it hurt. So, I just let them grow and grow. I can now tease them into a handlebar moustache.
Old 02-08-2001, 09:37 PM
In the past couple years I've noticed a few nasal hairs poking out and have pulled them. (What is it about pulling those particular hairs that set you on edge so hard anyway? Jeez, my knee has dislocated 3 times, and never did I tear up like I do when I pull a nose hair!) I've never had an infection in my nose caused by pulling them, but YMMV. (I have to pose the question again, needlenose pliers???)
Old 02-08-2001, 10:01 PM
Charter Member
Sure. Needlenose pliers. Hemostats. But, more than once when finding myself out in the world with a fugly curly one in place, I've used the Gerber Tool I carry on my hip.

From the benign glances I get in public men's rooms when ripping, weeping, etc. seems to me that other men have had to live the same humiliating nightmare. And women with stubbly legs think THEY'VE got it rough. Oye, it's hard to be a man.

Cartooniverse
Old 02-08-2001, 10:22 PM
Cecil has held court on this issue
https://academicpursuits.us/classics/a1_270b.html
Old 02-08-2001, 10:33 PM
Crafter Man, I hear you on those needle-nose pliers. The last thing you want is a hair slipping loose just as it's about to come out. All the pain with none of the results. My personal choice is a nasty-looking, 8-inch pair of surgical tweezers. Guaranteed not to slip, and it scares people away from my desk.

I've tried trimming my nose hairs on a few occasions, but it always seemed more painful than plucking in the long run. You see, a hair that's been plucked grows back with a natural, fine tip. A hair that's been cut now has a thick, bristly end that irritates my tender nostrils. So while plucking is a few minutes of intense pain, trimming gives me days of maddening itches.

--sublight.
Old 02-09-2001, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cartooniverse
Oye, it's hard to be a man.
Who said this is restricted to men? [tmi]I have one hair in my nose that has decided to grow wild. This hair is not only thicker than the rest, it is growing longer AND it is growing at an odd angle so it curls around inside my nostril and TICKLES MY NOSE. You bet I pluck this sucker when I find it. [/tmi]

If you're worried about infection, rub the inside of the nostril with alcohol, not the pliers.
Old 02-09-2001, 10:50 PM
Been doing this regularly for a while now.
Re Zyada and tickling: Once, my nostrils were really getting tickled and itchy, and I pulled one out that I swear must've been as long as my whole nose. Stopped the tickling. Wotta relief!
Old 02-11-2001, 03:37 AM
Charter Member
I've plucked all of ONE nose hair in my life, and I'll never forget it. I got a nasty infection that required antibiotics. My nose swelled up to twice its normal size. OUCH!
Old 02-11-2001, 03:58 AM
Nothing is grosser than nose hairs. I had a friend who was bald yet had plentiful hairs growing out of his nose. Ain't that just one of Nature's ironies? Hair where you don't want it, no hair where you need it. Funny thing is I could never stop staring at his nose hairs whenever I talked to him, always wished I could just reach out and yank a fistful out, of course I'd have to amputate my hand afterwards.

Now that I am old, I have grey nose hairs. Anyone else have grey nose hairs?
Old 02-11-2001, 09:25 AM
Another technique I use is to burn the little bastards. Take a lit safety match, place up to nostril and quickly remove, thereís a quick crackling sound, a charcoaly(sp) type smell, and voila no nasal hairs. If done quickly enough you shouldnít burn your nose.

I discovered this by accident, when I happened to buy a fire-liqueur in Austria. Instead of blowing out the lit drink before quaffing, I tried it still lit and lost my nasal hairs, eyelashes and eyebrows in one sudden whoosh (this is not recommended, as you look like an alien for a week or two).

This I believe is one of the two great uses of matches for non smokers/candle-fanciers; the other of course is the crowded house/only 1 toilet/bad gut scenario.
Old 02-11-2001, 05:27 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Zyada
Quote:
Oye, it's hard to be a man.
Who said this is restricted to men? [tmi]I have one hair in my nose that has decided to grow wild. This hair is not only thicker than the rest, it is growing longer AND it is growing at an odd angle so it curls around inside my nostril and TICKLES MY NOSE. You bet I pluck this sucker when I find it. [/tmi]

If you're worried about infection, rub the inside of the nostril with alcohol, not the pliers.
I pluck corrected, Zyada. My apologies. Didn't mean to exclude the other half of the hair-bearing populus.

Cartooniverse
Old 02-11-2001, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Sure. Needlenose pliers. Hemostats.
Well, hemostats for me too, and I have been a plucker for 15 plus years. Seems like we have a veritable forest up our nostrils, because there are always more to pluck. One must also remember they serve a purpose: trapping dust and other fine particles which then turn into snot and said snot is then held in place (one hopes) by said hair. ( Oh, you were eating?) I usually do many at once because it does make me sneeze for up to an hour afterwards, which I suppose is our body's way of punishing us.

Quasi
Old 02-12-2001, 05:58 AM
Charter Member
Back in 1983 I was at Chicago's O'Hare Airport, to wait for a friend who would be between planes. While there I observed an older couple(man and wife?), dressed in ordinary clothes, not weird or exotic in any way. Well, she gets out a pair of clippers and proceeds to trim his earhairs, right there in public! And when she was done with THAT he tilted his head back and she plucked his NOSEHAIRS! EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2001, 02:56 PM
AWB:
Quote:
I pull the ones that extend out my nostril.
Pictures?

I have hair in my nose and my ears now, but my fingers are fine and delicate enough that I can achieve salvation with them directly, instead of seeking intercession through pliers or tweezers.

But the hairs always grow back. Lumpy, even plucked hairs will grow back.

I want a permanent solution, which leads me to this question:

Aside from the pain, is there any good reason why one shouldn't have electrolysis for excess nose/ear hair?

Whoa, deja vu. Have I asked this question before?
Old 02-12-2001, 06:38 PM
But it is a pleasing sort of pain, a bit like cramp or an electric shock, there is something untangibly attractive about it.
Old 02-12-2001, 09:50 PM
Charter Member
~plink~

Pliers? Gerber Tool? Tweezers?

Wimps. I've gotten pretty good at pulling them out with my forefinger and thumbnail. Trap it between your forefinger and your thumbnail, give it a quick yank, and viola!

although I hate it when one slips loose. yeeeouch.
Old 02-12-2001, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by messiah
But it is a pleasing sort of pain, a bit like cramp or an electric shock, there is something untangibly attractive about it.
Yeah, kinda like popping a big ole zit. *splat*
Old 02-12-2001, 11:31 PM
Re: ~plink~

Enright3:
Quote:
Trap it between your forefinger and your thumbnail, give it a quick yank, and viola!
Give it a quick yank, and it's an orchestral string instrument?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:48 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post

Someone recently told me that "It's dangerous to pluck nose hairs." She said it could cause an infection, it could destroy the hair follicles, blaa, blaa, blaa.

I've been doing it for over 8 years and haven't gotten an infection. And so what if it damages the hair follicles? I don't want them to grow anyway.

So am I doing any irreversible harm to myself? Has anyone actually gotten an infection from plucking their nose hairs?
I've been doing this for years as well. Haven't gotten an infection yet, but there's supposed to be a lot more bacteria inside the nose, so I guess the chances of you getting an infection are theoretically higher than if you yank hairs from other parts of the body.

And trimming nose hairs won't help, for me at least, I have to yank them. Sometimes they have a really thick root, which causes discomfort in my nose, and trimming it won't get rid of the root, so I have to yank it. And I've heard yanking is supposed to damage the follicle, but they seem to grow back in the same place over and over...
Old 07-24-2010, 05:54 AM
If I can get a good grip on one, I find twisting it continuously in one direction will cause it to pull out with virtually none of the plucking pain. Good for those days when you think you're good, then blow your nose in a restroom and discover there was a really long one just waiting to be blown out and be seen. Go to the nearest tall, shut the door, grab, and spin until you've got a liberated hair in your grasp.

It's the rare hair that's long enough for that, though, and now that I'm in my late 30s and the hair has gotten bushier, if not longer, I've just resorted to using a small pair of scissors as needed when I'm doing my other hair-trimming activities (shaving, sideburn trimming, snipping off wild eyebrow hairs that grow an inch in length overnight, trimming the mutant white hair that curls out of my left ear canal, whatever). Make it part of one's daily ablutions and it becomes no big deal, though perhaps it's still a big deal to have to add another body part to the hair-removal plan once in a while.

I do wonder if electrolysis would be worthwhile. Or even doable.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Back in 1983 I was at Chicago's O'Hare Airport, to wait for a friend who would be between planes. While there I observed an older couple(man and wife?), dressed in ordinary clothes, not weird or exotic in any way. Well, she gets out a pair of clippers and proceeds to trim his earhairs, right there in public! And when she was done with THAT he tilted his head back and she plucked his NOSEHAIRS! EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!
O', what airport was that again?
Old 07-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
Pliers? Gerber Tool? Tweezers?

Wimps. I've gotten pretty good at pulling them out with my forefinger and thumbnail. Trap it between your forefinger and your thumbnail, give it a quick yank, and viola!

although I hate it when one slips loose. yeeeouch.
another vote for the forefinger and thumb. Contrary to the rest of the posters, mine are not painful. I mean there's a little 10 second sting, not as bad as a shot in the arm, and that's about it. No crying, weeping, screaming like a little girl action. YMMV
Old 07-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Charter Member
Years ago I stopped to get a haircut at a barber shop I had never visted before. The barber was an older Asian gentleman and he did a fine job cutting my hair. After he finished he told me to tilt my head back so I did. He lit a wooden match, let it burn a few seconds, blew it out then stuck it up my left nostril and twirled it around. He then did the same to the right.

Other than the smell of burning hair that lasted for a second or two, it worked great. Since then I keep a box of wooden matches in my bathroom. No hair plucking or hairs getting yanked out by nose hair trimmers.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:30 PM
One of my cousins had the insides of his nostrils waxed. Now, I'm not sure whether this is a commercially available procedure in the UK, or whether he just decided to do it on a whim one day, or indeed if he did it for a bet, but I do know that he posted a photo of the immediate aftermath on Facebook. The result looked for all the world like two baby hedgehogs sleeping on a tissue.

And yeah, I regularly just yank them out using the thumb and index fingernail method. Now and again one will hurt like hell and cause about 15 minutes of sneezing and eye-watering. Keeps the day interesting.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:21 PM
BANNED
So what exactly is the zombie method of nose hair removal??
Old 07-24-2010, 03:48 PM
BANNED
Yeah, thumb and forefinger can be used, but sometimes they're too deep or too short for that. And I rarely feel any pain, but that's probably because I've done it so much that my nose is now desensitized to any pain.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCThunder View Post
The old nose trimmer works great for me.
Same thing here. I've got a $15 Philips nose hair trimmer, and it works great. You have to work it around a bit, but it's getter than scissors, tweezers, or what I occasionally resorted to -- needlenose pliers.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:25 PM
It can cause infection by ingrowing. I've had it happen to me. Better to trim them back because they do serve as dust collectors.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:49 PM
been plucking for years. Tried a trimmer once, hate it; the stubble is itchy. About once every three months I spend a few minutes plucking. My weapon of choice is a pair of tweezers from the drug store - tweezers designed for plucking hairs.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Thumb and forefinger works for me, too. I don't find it very painful, and I've never gotten a nostril infection. Plus, I only get the worst offenders that stick out or are near sticking out from my nostrils, leaving the ones farther in to their filtering duties.